Em 24-11-2011 16:13, Manu Abraham escreveu:
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <mche...@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> That won't work with other non av7110 hardware.
>>
>> There isn't any non-av7110 driver using it at the Kernel. Anyway, we can put
>> a warning at the existing headers as-is, for now, putting them to be removed
>> for a new kernel version, like 3.4.
>

> No, that's not an option. The to-be merged saa716x driver depends on it.

If the driver is not merged yet, it can be changed.

> A DVB alone device need not depend V4L2 for it's operation.

Why not? DVB drivers with IR should implement the input/event/IR API. DVB
drivers with net
should implement the Linux Network API.

There is nothing wrong on using the ALSA API for audio and the V4L2 API for
video,
as both API fits the needs for decoding audio and video streams, and new
features
could be added there when needed.

Duplicated API's that become legacy are removed with time. Just to mention two
notable cases, this happened with the old audio stack (OSS), with the old
Wireless
stack.

Do you have any issues that needs to be addressed by the V4L2 API for it to fit
on your needs?

> Also, it doesn't
> make any sense to have device specific headers to be used by an application,
> when drivers share more than one commonality.

The only in-kernel driver using audio/video/osd is av7110. There are some other
cases on driver-specific API's. The bttv and ivtv drivers used to have it.
Their private API's were gradually replaced by other API's that are more
flexible
and become standardized. In some cases, the same API that used to be private
were moved to the core API

Regards,
Mauro