I used the media_build script to build modules for the Scientific Linux 6 distro which is, I understand, one of the near-clones of RHEL 6, which are expected to have a working life of several years. My kernel version, with security updates, is currently 2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.i686

The build needed utilities that I did not have installed; the script provided their names but apologised for its inability to identify the packages that would provide them because it did not recognise the distro. This list is in response to its invitation to submit details.

Utility:        lsdiff
Package name:   patchutils
Repo:           SL6

Utility:        Digest::SHA
Package name:   perl-Digest-SHA
Repo:           SL6 security updates

Utility:        Proc::ProcessTable
Package name:   perl-Proc-ProcessTable
Repo:           SL6 epel

After installing these, and the kernel-devel package, the build completed and I have been able to bring into service a usb device that had resisted my earlier efforts on the nominally more up-to-date Fedora 14. dmesg identifies it as a 'KWorld UB499-2T T09(IT9137)' and some characteristics that I see are not mentioned on its wiki page. I'll report on that separately, but there's a narrative account here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/atrpms-users@atrpms.net/msg09417.html

Thanks!

John Pilkington