Hi,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Marek Szyprowski
<m.szyprow...@samsung.com> wrote:

>> Sorry, could you describe the abuse problem in a bit detail?
>
> Videobuf2 requires memory module handlers to provide vaddr method to provide
> a pointer in
> kernel virtual address space to video data (buffer content). It is used for
> example by

Yes, this is what the patch is doing, __get_free_pages just  returns
the kernel virtual
address which will be passed to driver.

> read()/write() io method emulator. Memory allocator/handler should not be
> specific to any
> particular use case in the device driver. That's the design. Simple.

Most of the patch is copied from videobuf-vmalloc.c, and the
interfaces are totally same
with videobuf-vmalloc.c.

> I your case you want to give pointer to struct page from the memory allocator
> to the

In my case, the pointer to struct page is not required to the driver
at all, so I think you
have misunderstood the patch, don't I?

> driver. The cookie method has been introduced exactly for this purpose.
> Memory allocator
> also provides a simple inline function to convert generic 'void *' return
> type from cookie
> method to allocator specific structure/pointer.
> vb2_dma_contig_plane_dma_addr() and
> vb2_dma_sg_plane_desc() were examples how does passing allocator specific
> type though the
> cookie method works.

thanks,
--