On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 01:45:24PM -0500, Andy Walls wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:55 -0600, David Engel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a MythTV backend with a Hauppauge HVR-2250 (dual tuner,
> > ATSC?QAM, PCIe) and a Ceton InfiniTV4 (quad tuner, QAM/cable card,
> > PCIe).  Over the weekend, I started intermittently seeing corrupt
> > recordings that were painful to watch.
> >
> > I eventually narrowed the problem down to when both tuners on the 2250
> > are active at the same time.  In this case, both recordings have
> > corruption (CRC errors, etc.).  The InfiniTV4 does not appear to be
> > affected by anything going on on the 2250.  Likewise, the 2250 does
> > not appear to be affected by anything going on on the InfiniTV4.
> >
> > I noticed something strange while diagnosinig the problem.  When the
> > 2250 is busy recording, top reports the CPU as being in wait for an
> > abnormally high amount of time (~30% for one tuner busy and ~50% for
> > both tuners busy).  I don't recall seeing that before.  I quickly
> > tried a KWorld ATSC 110 on a different system and it showed no, or
> > negligible wait time.
> >
> > Thinking that the 2250 was going bad, I replaced it with two KWorld
> > ATSC 110s (single tuner, ATSC/QAM, PCI).  The two 110s had the same
> > problem as the 2250 -- corruption when both tuners are busy and
> > unusually high wait time when either is busy.
> >
> > At this point, I'm suspecting a motherboard, memory or grounding
> > issue, but would like some feedback in case there's anything I'm
> > missing.  The high wait time seems extremely odd to me.  Perhaps it
> > means something to those of you who are much more familiar with the
> > cards and drivers.
>
> A long time in IO Wait and (presumably) dropped video data buffers for a
> TV card driver usually means:
>
> a. The devices are not producing interrupts
> b. Your system is dropping interrupts from the devices
> c. Something in your system keeps interrupt processing disabled for a
> long time.

I tried the crude test of monitoring /proc/interrupts while recording.
Using a third KWorld ATSC 110 on my development system, which isn't
showing any problems, the driver serviced ~1200 interrupts per minute.
I saw the same amount per card using two other 110s on my MythTV system, which
is exhibiting the problem.

> Of the above c. is unlikely.
>
> The root causes of a. and b. are many and varied.  However most of those
> root causes are under control of kernel software: core IRQ handling,
> core PCI/e bus setup, or tv card driver modules and their supporting
> modules.
>
> Hardware related root causes would be buggy PCI chipsets, poor RF
> signal, a motherboard problem, or a power problem.
>
> I tend to blame the software before the hardware.
>

> Sometimes, dust in the shared, conventional PCI bus can cause problems.
> If you have conventional PCI slots in the system - whether you use them
> or not -  unplug the conventional PCI cards, blow the dust out of all
> the slots, and reseat the cards.  You should not need to do this for any
> PCIe card slots, but it doesn't hurt.

I also tried the HVR-2250 in my development system this evening.  It
worked fine.  It's definitely something specific to my MythTV system.
I can't do any further testing until Wednesday.  Thoroughly blowing
out the case might have to wait until the weekend.

Thanks for you help.

David

> Regards,
> Andy
>
> > Oh, the problem appear shortly after switching to the 3.1.9 kernel.  I
> > also tried the 3.1.8 and 3.0.14 kernels to rule out software and there
> > was no effect on the problem.
>
> > David
>

> --

David Engel