Hi Mauro,

On Monday 23 January 2012 17:42:45 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 23-01-2012 13:56, Tomasz Stanislawski escreveu:

> >> The V4L2 API doesn't just export "raw" buffers. It provides a logic to
> >> control the streams, with includes buffer settings, buffer
> >> queue/dequeue, buffer meta-data (like timestamps), etc.
> >
> > The DMABUF buffers are handled by vb2-core. It provides control for
> > queuing and passing streaming and metadata management (like timestamps)
> > to the driver.
> >
> >> I would expect to see something similar for the dma buffers.
> >
> > Those features may be introduced to dma-buf. As I understand
> > queue/dequeue refers to passing ownership between a CPU and a driver. It
> > is handled in vb2-core. Passing buffer between multiple APIs like V4L2
> > and DRM will be probably handled in the userspace. Currently the dma-buf
> > provides only the mechanism for mapping the same memory by multiple
> > devices.
>
> I'm not sure if the dma-buf itself should have such meta data, but the V4L2
> API likely needs it.
>
> >> With regards to the overlay mode, this is the old way to export DMA
> >> buffers between a video capture driver and a graphics adapter driver. A
> >> dma-buf interface will superseed the video overlay mode, as it will
> >> provide more features. Yet, care should be taken when writing the
> >> userspace interface, in order to be sure that all features needed will
> >> be provided there.
> >
> > The s5p-tv and s5p-fimc do not have support for OVERLAY mode. As I know
> > vb2-core has no support for the mode, either.
>
> True. It was decided that overlay is an old design, and a dma-buffer
> oriented approach would be needed. So, the decision were to not implement
> anything there, until a proper dma-buf support were not added.
>
> > What kind of features present in OVERLAYS are
> > needed in dmabuf? Note that dmabuf do not have be used only for buffers
> > with video data.
>
> That's a good point. Basically, Ovelay mode is supported by
> those 3 ioctl's:
>
> #define VIDIOC_G_FBUF            _IOR('V', 10, struct v4l2_framebuffer)
> #define VIDIOC_S_FBUF            _IOW('V', 11, struct v4l2_framebuffer)
> #define VIDIOC_OVERLAY           _IOW('V', 14, int)
>
> With use these structs:
>
> struct v4l2_pix_format {
>         __u32                   width;
>         __u32                   height;
>         __u32                   pixelformat;
>         enum v4l2_field         field;
>               __u32                   bytesperline;
>         __u32                   sizeimage;
>         enum v4l2_colorspace    colorspace;
>         __u32                   priv;
> };
>
> struct v4l2_framebuffer {
>         __u32                   capability;
>         __u32                   flags;
>
>         void                    *base;                /* Should be replaced
> by the
DMA
> buf specifics */ struct v4l2_pix_format  fmt;
> };
> /*  Flags for the 'capability' field. Read only */
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_EXTERNOVERLAY     0x0001
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_CHROMAKEY         0x0002
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_LIST_CLIPPING     0x0004
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_BITMAP_CLIPPING   0x0008
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_LOCAL_ALPHA       0x0010
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_GLOBAL_ALPHA      0x0020
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_LOCAL_INV_ALPHA   0x0040
> #define V4L2_FBUF_CAP_SRC_CHROMAKEY     0x0080
> /*  Flags for the 'flags' field. */
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_PRIMARY          0x0001
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_OVERLAY          0x0002
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_CHROMAKEY        0x0004
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_LOCAL_ALPHA    0x0008
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_GLOBAL_ALPHA     0x0010
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_LOCAL_INV_ALPHA  0x0020
> #define V4L2_FBUF_FLAG_SRC_CHROMAKEY    0x0040
>
> It should be noticed that devices that support OVERLAY can provide
> data on both dma-buffer sharing and via the standard MMAP/read() mode at
> the same time, each with a different video format. So, the VIDIOC_S_FBUF
> ioctl needs to set the pixel format, and image size for the overlay,
> while the other ioctl's set it for the MMAP (or read) mode.
>
> Buffer queue/dequeue happens internally, and can be started/stopped via
> a VIDIOC_OVERLAY call.

The approach taken by dma-buf is different. First of all, please remember that
dma-buf is not restricted to capturing directly to the frame buffer memory as
V4L2 overlay support does, but can also be used to capture to GL textures and
to pass data to a DSP (or anoother image processor). For those reasons,
sequencing needs to be handled by userspace. Buffer queuing and dequeuing will
use the usual VIDIOC_QBUF and VIDIOC_DQBUF ioctls. The only difference is that
the queue will use a new memory type specific to dma-buf, and vb2 will handle
buffer mapping and unmapping internally. This should be transparent to the
driver.

For those reasons, the VIDIOC_G_FBUF, VIDIOC_S_FBUF and VIDIOC_OVERLAY ioctls
are not needed anymore. Applications in dma-buf systems will use
VIDIOC_G_FMT/VIDIOC_S_FMT instead of VIDIOC_G_FBUF and VIDIOC_S_BUF (and
probably the selection API to get/set the compose rectangle), and
VIDIOC_STREAMON, VIDIOC_STREAMOFF, VIDIOC_DQBUF and VIDIOC_QBUF instead of
VIDIOC_OVERLAY.

What we will then need is a way to get/set the "overlay" capabilities and
flags, but those should not be restricted to "overlay" mode anymore. Alpha-
blending and color-keying can be useful when capturing to memory, not only
when capturing directly to the frame buffer.

> > I will post a simple application that does buffer sharing between two
> > V4L2 devices (camera and TV output).
>
> Ok.

> >> I'm not proposing to move the patch to a separate thread. All I'm saying
> >> is that the API extensions for dmabuf requires its own separate
> >> discussions.
> >
> > I agree. However DMA patches plays important role in this PoC patchset so
> > I decided to keep patches to together. Moreover I wanted this code to
> > compile successfully.
> >
> > I prefer to have a good reason for adding extension before proposing it
> > on the mailing list. The DMA buffer sharing seams to be a right reason
> > for adding dma_get_pages but comments for V4L2/Linaro people is needed.
> >
> >> I couldn't guess, just from your patches, what ioctl's a V4L2
> >> application like tvtime or xawtv would use the DMABUF.
> >
> > DMABUF is dedicated for application that use streaming between at least
> > two devices. Especially if those devices are controlled by different
> > APIs, like DRM and V4L2. It would be probably used in the middle-ware
> > like gstreamer or OpenMAX.
>
> This is what the X11 v4l extension driver does: it shares DMA buffers
> between V4L2 and DRM. The extension currently relies on XV extension,
> simply because this is what were available at the time the extension was
> written. I didn't have any time yet to port it to use something more
> modern.
>
> It is probably a good idea for you to take a look on it, when writing the
> API bits. Its source is available at:
>
>       http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-v4l/

Laurent Pinchart