Hi Sumit,
On 01/25/2012 06:35 AM, Semwal, Sumit wrote:
Hi Tomasz,
On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Tomasz Stanislawski
<t.stanisl...@samsung.com>  wrote:
Hi Mauro,

<snip>

Ok. I should have given more details about the patch. I am sorry for missing
it. My kernel tree failed to compile after applying patches from

[1]
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.video-input-infrastructure/42966/focus=42968

I had to generate this patch to compile the code and test it. Most of the
fixes refer to Sumit's code and I think he will take care of those bugs.
Is your kernel tree a mainline kernel? I am pretty sure I posted out
the RFC after compile testing.

Our development kernel often contains patches that are not posted to opensource. The tree presented in the cover letter contains only patches that were approved for opensource submission.

Some of the patches that are not merged into the mainline may break compilation if patches from the mailing list are applied on the top. The example is 'media: vb2: remove plane argument from call_memop and cleanup mempriv usage'. I had to add fixes to compile the code. Moreover I had to test a working application that makes use of DMABUF exporting/importing via V4L2 API. So I had to fix other issues that are not only compilation related.

As I remember we agreed that I had to post an incremental patchset.
Therefore all needed fixes had to be present in the tree.

The fixes were posted in this patchset to keep the whole work together.
I expect that you already prepared a patch fixing majority of issues from this patch. Many of them were mentioned in Pawel's and Laurent's and Sakari's reviews. If you find fixes in this patch useful you can merge them into next version of RFC 'v4l: DMA buffer sharing support as a user'.

<snip>

I wanted to post the complete set of patches that produce compilable kernel.
Therefore most important bugs/issues had to be fixed and attached to the
patchset. Some of the issues in [1] were mentioned by Laurent and Sakari. I
hope Sumit will take care of those problems.
I must've misunderstood when you said 'I would like to take care of
these patches'. Please let me know if you'd like me to submit next
version of my RFC separately with fixes for these issues, or would you
manage that as part of your RFC patch series submission.

This patchset is an RFC. It was my big mistake that I forgot to add this to the title of the patchset. I am not going to post the patch with fixes to your part any more. It would be great if you merged it into new version of 'DMA buffer sharing support as a user'.

IMO, some parts should go as separate threads:
- extension to DMA subsystem, introduction of dma_get_pages. This would probably go to DMA mailing list.
- redesign of dma-contig allocator (w/o dmabuf exporting/importing)
- buffer importing via dmabuf in V4L2 and vb2-dma-contig
- buffer exporting via dmabuf in V4L2 and vb2-dma-contig

BTW. Could you state your opinion on presented solution for dma-buf exporting in vb2-core and vb2-dma-contig allocator?

Regards,
Tomasz Stanislawski

Failing to do that will mean that important fixes for upstream
will be missed.

Ok. It will be fixed.

Regards,
Mauro