Hi Sylwester,

Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
After introduction of the selection API on subdevs we have following sets
of selection targets:

     /dev/v4l-subdev?               |   /dev/video?
V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_CROP_ACTUAL    | V4L2_SEL_TGT_CROP_ACTIVE
V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_CROP_BOUNDS    | V4L2_SEL_TGT_CROP_BOUNDS
                                    | V4L2_SEL_TGT_CROP_DEFAULT
                                    | V4L2_SEL_TGT_CROP_PADDED
V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_COMPOSE_ACTUAL | V4L2_SEL_TGT_COMPOSE_ACTIVE
V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_COMPOSE_BOUNDS | V4L2_SEL_TGT_COMPOSE_BOUNDS
                                    | V4L2_SEL_TGT_COMPOSE_DEFAULT
                                    | V4L2_SEL_TGT_COMPOSE_PADDED

Although not exactly the same, the meaning of V4L2_SEL_TGT_*_ACTIVE
and V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_*_ACTUAL selection targets is logically the
same. Different names add to confusion where both APIs are used in
a single driver or an application.
Then, rename the V4l2_SEL_TGT_[CROP/COMPOSE]_ACTIVE to
V4l2_SEL_TGT_[CROP/COMPOSE]_ACTUAL to avoid the API inconsistencies.
The selections API is experimental, so no any compatibility layer
is added. The ABI remains unchanged.

I'm definitely for keeping the two sets of target as uniform as possible.

I have one question, though: how about dropping the ACTIVE / ACTUAL altogether? Then we'd have V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_CROP and V4L2_SUBDEV_SEL_TGT_CROP_BOUNDS etc. I feel that the ACTIVE or ACTUAL doesn't really say anything there, and don't think it's an issue that a target name is a part of another one.

What's your opinion?

Kind regards,

--
Sakari Ailus