On 05/22/2012 06:06 PM, Andy Walls wrote:
> Devin Heitmueller <dheitmuel...@kernellabs.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Bob Lightfoot
>> <boblf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear LinuxTv and AtRpms Communities: In the most recent three
>>> kernels {2.6.32-220.7.1 ; 2.6.32-220.13.1 ; 2.6.32-220.17.1}
>>> released for CentOS 6.2 I have experienced what can only be
>>> described as a strange behavior of the V4L kernel modules with
>>> the Hauppage HVR 1600 Card.  If I reboot the PC in question {HP
>>> Pavillion Elite M9040n} I will lose sound on the Analog TV
>>> Tuner.  If I Power off the PC, leave it off for 30-60 seconds
>>> and start it back up then I have sound with the Analog TV Tuner
>>> every time.  Not sure what is causing this, but thought the
>>> condition was worth sharing.
>>
>> Could you please clarify which HVR-1600 board you have (e.g. the
>> PCI ID)?  I suspect we're probably not resetting the audio
>> processor properly, but I would need to know exactly which board
>> you have in order to check that.
>>
>> Devin
>>
>> -- Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs http://www.kernellabs.com
>> -- To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>> linux-media" in the body of a message to
>> majord...@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at
>> http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
>
> Also, if you not done so already, verify that it is not a sound
> card playback issue.   Make a recording when you suspect the
> HVR1600 is not capturing sound. Then play the recording when you
> know your sound is working.
>
> Also, does audio line in with Svideo or CVBS exhibit the same
> symptoms?
>
> I had to go through a good bit of trial and error to get the
> CX23418's APU to capture audio reliably after boot up, so I am
> reluctant to mess with that unless needed.
>
> We will want to try to narrow the problem down to one of the analog
> tuner, integrated CX25843, or APU.
>
> Regards, Andy

First Question the PCI ID -- the output of lspci -v is :
01:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23418
Single-Chip MPEG-2 Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast
Audio Decoder
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV HVR-1600
        Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
        Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
        Kernel driver in use: cx18
        Kernel modules: cx18

And although right now I cannot find the earlier instructions I
followed there was a post on the gossamer threads about the audio not
being detected and the card muting the output.  There was a command
{memory fails me right now} to query the card for the status of the
tuner which is showing the audio is undetermined and muted when this
issue happens.  It happens in both mythtv and cat > file.avi
recordings played back later.  It should be noted that audio playback
is fine despite the analog video sound being muted.

Bob Lightfoot

P.S. -- David & Andy - If you need more specific information just send
me the commands to run and I'll provide the feedback,

P.P.S. -- Appreciate all you guys do -- my linux video box runs
circles around my Vista Media Center.

Last P.S. - Linux Media Rocks.