Hi all,

(I hope this is a genuine question, and I'm not avoiding my own homework here.)

I'm trying to support the audio part of the stk1160 usb bridge
(similar to em28xx).
Currently, the snd-usb-audio module is being loaded when I physically
plug my device,
but I can't seem to capture any sound with vlc.

I still have to research and work a lot to understand the connection
between my device
and alsa, and altough I could write a working module similar to
em28xx-alsa.ko, I still
can't figure out why do I need to write one in the first place.

Why is this module suffficient for gspca microphone devices (gspca, to name one)
and why is a new alsa driver needed for em28xx (or stk1160)?

Hope my question is clear enough,
Thanks in advance,
Ezequiel.