I have a couple of patches to my local media_build repo, which do these:

- a new option "--as-is" to the build script. It basically suppresses any git
pull/rebase to both media_build and the ./media subdirectory (if used in
combination with --main-git). In combination to --main-git, you are left on
your own and be wholy responsible about what is inside ./media - I use that to
check Antti's work (which is on a branch), and also since I have some interrim
patches to media_build itself, I would prefer I can tell it not to  pull/merge .

- a small change to v4l/Makefile , to install under
/lib/modules/$(KERNELRELEASE)/updates/... - recent fedora seems to have a
modprobe preference to load from "../updates/..." (or at least, that's the case
of having installed compat-wireless at some stage - one might want to steal
some code from that?), when more than one kernel module of the same name
exists. This is so as not to trash distro-shipped modules (and also if one
cleans out ".../updates/..." and runs "depmod -a", one is back to distro as
shipped behavior). Also trashing distro-shipped modules have the side-effect of
making drpm not to work and whole kernel packages are downloaded in the next
"yum upgrade".

I also have a suggestion to make:

- How http://linux/linuxtv.org/downloads/drivers/linux-media-LATEST.tar.bz2
is generated, probably should be documented. Over the weekend I was playing
with one with timestamp Jul 7, and it is quite broken with firstly header files
not in the right place (linux/v4l2-common.h instead of media/v4l2-common.h),
and also the following:

media_build/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:127:2: error: unknown type
name 'v4l2_std_id'
media_build/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:128:2: error: unknown type
name 'v4l2_std_id'
media_build/v4l/../linux/include/media/v4l2-dev.h:135:32: error:
'BASE_VIDIOC_PRIVATE' undeclared here (not in a function)

I see that the Jul 16 version has both of these issues fixed... but I am not
against having a look myself if it is urgent enough for me (considered that it
was broken for 9 days).

- a few of the firmware files are newer/different than distro-shipped... I am
less bothered by it trashing distro-shipped packaged files as the
linux-firmware package is rarely upgraded. But maybe one can try pushing some
of that upstream?

The last one, something for Antti to figure out:

- I found that that part of backports/api_version.patch, which changes
LINUX_VERSION_CODE to V4L2_VERSION in drivers/media/video/v4l2-ioctl.c, is
relocated from line 930-ish in
http://linux/linuxtv.org/downloads/drivers/linux-media-LATEST.tar.bz2 to
line 590-ish in Antti's dvb_core branch. So there are commits which are in
linux-media-LATEST.tar.bz2 and not in Antti's branch or vice versa. (so that's
any reason who one wants to know how linux-media-LATEST.tar.bz2 is made).