Hi Hans

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is the third version of this patch series.
>
> The first version is here:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg47558.html

Nice to see an owner concept added to the vb2. In soc-camera we're also
using a concept of a "streamer" user. This is the user, that first calls
one of data-flow related ioctl()s, like s_fmt(), streamon(), streamoff()
and all buffer queue-related operations. I realise that this your
patch-set only deals with the buffer queue, but in principle, do you think
it would make sense to use such a concept globally? We probably don't want
to let other processes mess with any of the above calls as long as one
process is actively managing the streaming.

Thanks
Guennadi

> Changes since RFCv2:
>
> - Rebased to staging/for_v3.6.
>
> - Incorporated Laurent's review comments in patch 22: vb2-core: refactor
> reqbufs/create_bufs.
>
> Changes since RFCv1:
>
> - Incorporated all review comments from Hans de Goede and Laurent Pinchart
> (Thanks!)
>   except for splitting off the vb2 helper functions into a separate source. I
> decided
>   to keep it together with the vb2-core code.
>
> - Improved commit messages, added more comments to the code.
>
> - The owner filehandle and the queue lock are both moved to struct vb2_queue
> since
>   these are a property of the queue.
>
> - The debug function has a new 'write_only' boolean: some debug functions can
> only
>   print a subset of the arguments if it is called by an _IOW ioctl. The
> previous
>   patch series split this up into two functions. Handling the debug function
> for
>   a write-only ioctl is annoying at the moment: you have to print the
> arguments
>   before calling the ioctl since the ioctl can overwrite arguments. I am
> considering
>   changing the op argument to const for such ioctls and see if any driver is
>   actually messing around with the contents of such structs. If we can
> guarantee
>   that drivers do not change the argument struct, then we can simplify the
> debug
>   code.
>
> - All debugging is now KERN_DEBUG instead of KERN_INFO.
>
> I still have one outstanding question: should anyone be able to call mmap() or
> only the owner of the vb2 queue? Right now anyone can call mmap().
>
> Comments are welcome, but if I don't see any in the next 2-3 days, then I'll
> make
> a pull request for this on Sunday.
>
> Regards,
>
>         Hans