Yes, I realized too late that the library header file was missing from the
submitted patch. I created a additional patch and attached it to the [RFC
PATCH 1/2] thread.

I updated the repository. It should now be based on the most recent version of
the tree (I used git://git.linuxtv.org/v4l-utils.git as the origin)

changing the condition in the library header from
> #if __GNUC__ >= 4
> #define LIBV4L_PUBLIC __attribute__ ((visibility("default")))
> #else
> #define LIBV4L_PUBLIC
> #endif

> #if HAVE_VISIBILITY
> #define LIBV4L_PUBLIC __attribute__ ((visibility("default")))
> #else
> #define LIBV4L_PUBLIC
> #endif

causes linker problems for me. The public library functions can no longer be
found. I cannot figure out why it's working for programs using libv4l2.la but
not for programs using libv4l2rds.la

greetings,
Konke