Hi Chris and Hans,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:16:01PM -0700, Chris MacGregor wrote:
> >  (I have patches to add the controls, but I haven't had time yet
> >to get them into good enough shape to submit - sorry!)
> >>
> >>It seems to me that for applications that want to set them to
> >>the same value (presumably the vast majority), it is not so hard
> >>to set both the green_red and green_blue.  If you implement a
> >>single control, what happens for the (admittedly rare)
> >>application that needs to control them separately?
> >
> >Well if these are showing up in something like a user oriented
> >control-panel (which they may) then having one slider for both
> >certainly is more userfriendly.
>
> Okay, that's a fair point.  But an application that wanted to could
> insulate the user from it fairly easily.
>
> I'm not opposed to having a single control, *if* there is some way
> for apps to control the greens separately when they need to.  I
> don't have a brilliant solution for this offhand, other than just
> exposing the separate controls.

I do recognise there's a need for developers to fiddle with such low level
controls as these but I can hardly see end users using them as such. Either
automatic white balance or a white balance control with higher level of
abstraction is likely better for that purpose.

Some sensors have only a single gain for the greens so these devices should
anyway implement just a single green gain (which is neither of the two).
Perhaps such abstraction could be performed by libv4l?

Just my 0,05 euros.

Kind regards,

--
Sakari Ailus