Em Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:17:23 +0100
Frank Schäfer <fschaefer....@googlemail.com> escreveu:

> Am 10.12.2012 18:38, schrieb Mauro Carvalho Chehab:
> > Em Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:27:29 +0100
> > Hans Verkuil <hverk...@xs4all.nl> escreveu:

> >> I doubt everything will be fine, but I sure hope it will be better at
> >> least.
> >> In other words, don't expect miracles :-)

> > No, this is not true; git pull requests are typically handled faster, as
> > the material there is submitted either by a driver maintainer or by a
> > sub-maintainer. The delay there for -git is currently 2 weeks, as we closed
> > our
> > merge window at the beginning of -rc7 (expecting that there won't be a
> > -rc8).
>
> But it's not "git pull request" vs. "patches sent to the list directly",
> it's "reviewed" vs. "not reviewed", right ?

A patch reviewed by a sub-maintainer/driver maintainers typically goes to me
via a git pull request.

> > The very large of individual patches have a longer delays, due to the lack
> > of
> > driver maintainers reviews.
>
> That's what I said, the problem is that we lack maintainers/reviewers.

We (used to) lack to have sub-maintainers formally (except for gspca and
soc_camera). Even driver's maintainership is currently shady, as most
drivers lack a MAINTAINERS entry. That is in the process of being fixed.

> And people beeing subsystem maintainers AND driver maintainers have to
> find a balance between processing pull requests and reviewing patches.
> I'm not sure if I have understood yet how this balance should look
> like... Can you elaborate a bit on this ?
> At the moment it's ~12 weeks / ~2 weeks. What's the target value ? ;)

Please wait for it to be implemented before complaining it ;) The
sub-maintainers new schema will start to work likely by Feb/Mar 2013.

Also, the reviewing process is not equal to all patches: trivial patches
can be merged quicker; core API changes should take a longer time, as
it is expected to have more review before merging them.

> > Agreed.

> >> The main problem is that all the work is done by Mauro. Sure, people help
> >> out with reviews but a lot of the final administrative and merge effort is
> >> done by one person only. In particular the patch flow is something he can't
> >> keep up with anymore. So by assigning official submaintainers who get
> >> access
> >> to patchwork and can process patches quickly we hope that his job will
> >> become
> >> a lot easier.
> >>
> >> So the core two changes are 1) giving clear responsibilities to
> >> submaintainers
> >> and 2) giving submaintainers access to patchwork to keep track of the
> >> patches.
> >>
> >> So patch submitters no longer have to wait until Mauro gets around to
> >> cleaning
> >> out patchwork. Instead the submaintainers can do that themselves and
> >> collect
> >> accepted patches in their git tree and post regular pull requests for
> >> Mauro.
> >>
> >> It should simplify things substantially for Mauro, we hope.
> >>
> >> I think we have enough people doing reviews etc. (although more are always
> >> welcome), it's the patchflow itself that is the problem.
> > Yeah, the issue is that both reviewed, non-reviewed and rejected/commented
> > patches go into the very same queue, forcing me to revisit each patch
> > again,
> > even the rejected/commented ones, and the previous versions of newer
> > patches.
> >
> > By giving rights and responsibilities to the sub-maintainers to manage their
> > stuff directly at patchwork, those patches that tend to stay at patchwork
> > for
> > a long time will likely disappear, and the queue will be cleaner.
>
> So who can get an account / is supposed to access patchwork ?
> - subsystem maintainers ?
> - driver maintainers ?
> - patch creators ?

Subsystem maintainers only, except if someone can fix patchwork, adding
proper ACL's there to allow patch creators to manage their own patches
and sub-system maintainers to delegate work to driver maintainers, without
giving them full rights, and being notified about status changes on
those driver's patches.

The current way patchwork implements it requires a very high degree of trust
between the ones handling patches there, as anyone with access to patchwork
can do bad things there affecting someone's else workflow.

Regards,
Mauro