Em Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:02:23 +0000
Simon Farnsworth <simon.farnswo...@onelan.com> escreveu:

> On Tuesday 8 January 2013 18:28:53 Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Simon Farnsworth
> > <simon.farnswo...@onelan.com> wrote:
> > > The wireless folk use dBm (reference point 1 milliwatt), as that's the
> > > reference point used in the 802.11 standard.
> > >
> > > Perhaps we need an extra FE_SCALE constant; FE_SCALE_DECIBEL has no
> > > reference
> > > point (so suitable for carrier to noise etc, or for when the reference
> > > point
> > > is unknown), and FE_SCALE_DECIBEL_MILLIWATT for when the reference point
> > > is
> > > 1mW, so that frontends report in dBm?
> > >
> > > Note that if the frontend internally uses a different reference point, the
> > > conversion is always going to be adding or subtracting a constant.
> >
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > Probably the biggest issue you're going to have is that very few of
> > the consumer-grade demodulators actually report data in that format.
> > And only a small subset of those actually provide the documentation in
> > their datasheet.
> >
> <snip>
> My specific concern is that we already see people complaining that their cable
> system or aerial installer's meter comes up with one number, and our
> documentation has completely different numbers. When we dig, this usually
> turns out to be because our documentation is in dBm, while their installer is
> using dBmV or dBµW, and no-one at the customer site knows the differences.
>
> If consumer demods don't report in a dB scale at all, we should drop dB as a
> unit; if they do report in a true dB scale, but the reference point is
> normally not documented, we need some way to distinguish demods where the
> reference point is unknown, and demods where someone has taken the time to
> find the reference point (which can be done with a signal generator).
>
> This is sounding more and more like an argument for adding
> FE_SCALE_DECIBEL_MILLIWATT - it gives those applications that care a way to
> tell the user that the signal strength reading from the application should
> match up to the signal strength reading on your installer's kit. Said
> applications could even choose to do the conversions for you, giving you all
> four commonly seen units (dBm, dBmV at 50Ω, dBmV at 75Ω, dBµW).
>
> > For that matter, even the SNR field being reported in dB isn't going
> > to allow you to reliably compare across different demodulator chips.
> > If demod X says 28.3 dB and demod Y says 29.2 dB, that doesn't
> > really mean demod Y performs better - just that it's reporting a
> > better number.  However it does allow you to compare the demod
> > against itself either across multiple frequencies or under different
> > signal conditions - which is what typical users really care about.
>
> I'm not expecting people to compare across demods - I only care about the
> case where a user has got in a professional installer to help with their
> [...]

Yes, it makes sense to document that the signal strength should be reported
on either dBm or dBµW, if the scale is FE_SCALE_DECIBEL. I prefer to specify
it in terms of Watt (or a submultiple) than in terms of voltage/impedance, as
different Countries use different impedances on DTV cabling (typically,
50Ω or 75Ω).

So, either dBm or dBµW works for me. As you said, applications can convert
between those mesures as they wish, by simply adding some constant when
displaying the power measure.

As the wifi subsytem use dBm, I vote for using dBm for the signal measure
at the subsystem (actually, 0.1 dBm).

Comments?

Regards,
Mauro