On Mon February 11 2013 14:41:08 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/11/2013 02:21 PM, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On Mon February 11 2013 14:08:44 Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Subject: stk-webcam: the initial hflip and vflip setup was the wrong way
> >> around
> >>
> >> No it is not.
> >
> > You are right, that patch makes no sense. It was a long day :-)

> >> No it does not, the laptop having an upside down mounted camera and not
> >> being
> >> in the dmi-table is what causes an upside down picture. For a non upside
> >> down camera (so no dmi-match) hflip and vflip should be 0.
> >>
> >> The fix for the upside-down-ness Arvydas Sidorenko reported would be to
> >> add his laptop to the upside down table.
> >
> > That doesn't make sense either. Arvydas, it worked fine for you before,
> > right?
>
> Yes, it probably worked before, but not with...
>
> > That is, if you use e.g. v3.8-rc7 then your picture is the right side up.
>
> 3.8 will show it upside down for Arvydas
>
> The story goes likes this:
>
> 1) Once upon a time the stkwebcam driver was written
> 2) The webcam in question was used mostly in Asus laptop models, including
> the laptop of the original author of the driver, and in these models, in
> typical Asus fashion (see the long long list for uvc cams inside v4l-utils),
> they mounted the webcam-module the wrong way up. So the hflip and vflip
> module options were given a default value of 1 (the correct value for
> upside down mounted models)
>
> 3) Years later I got a bug report from a user with a laptop with stkwebcam,
> where the module was actually mounted the right way up, and thus showed upside
> down under Linux. So now I was facing the choice of 2 options:
> a) Add a not-upside-down list to stkwebcam, which overrules the default
> b) Do it like all the other drivers do, and make the default right for
> cams mounted the proper way and add an upside-down model list, with models
> where we need to flip-by-default.
>
> Despite knowing that going b) would cause a period of pain where we were
> building the table (ie what we're discussing now) I opted to go for option
> b), since a) is just too ugly, and worse different from how every other
> driver does it leading to confusion in the long run.
>
> IOW this is entirely my fault, and I take full responsibility for it.

Ah, OK. Now it makes sense. I wasn't aware of this history and it (clearly)
confused me greatly.

Can you perhaps provide me with a patch that adds some comments to the source
explaining this. And in particular with which kernel this change took place?

The next time some poor sod (e.g. me) has to work on this the comments should
explain this history.

> Arvydas, can you please run "sudo dmidecode > dmi.log", and send me or
> Hans V. the generated dmi.log file? Then we can add your laptop to the
> upside-down model list.

When I have this information I'll update my patch series and ask Arvydas
to test again.