On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, at 10:23, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> First of all, could you please CC me in the future for uvcvideo patches ?

Will do.

> On Wednesday 12 March 2014 18:08:31 William Manley wrote:
> > The uvcvideo webcam driver exposes the v4l2 control "Exposure (Absolute)"
> > which allows the user to control the exposure time of the webcam,
> > essentially controlling the brightness of the received image.  By default
> > the webcam automatically adjusts the exposure time automatically but the
> > if you set the control "Exposure, Auto"="Manual Mode" the user can fix
> > the exposure time.
> >
> > Unfortunately it seems that the Logitech C920 has a firmware bug where
> > it will forget that it's in manual mode temporarily during initialisation.
> > This means that the camera doesn't respect the exposure time that the user
> > requested if they request it before starting to stream video.  They end up
> > with a video stream which is either too bright or too dark and must reset
> > the controls after video starts streaming.
>
> I've asked Logitech whether they can confirm this is a known issue. I'm
> not
> sure when I'll have a reply though.

Great :)

> > This patch works around this camera bug by re-uploading the cached
> > controls to the camera immediately after initialising the camera.
>
> I'm a bit concerned about this. As you noticed UVC camera are often
> buggy, and
> small changes in the driver can fix problems with one model and break
> others.
> Sending a bunch of SET_CUR requests at once right after starting the
> stream is
> something that has the potential to crash firmwares (yes, they can be
> that
> fragile, unfortunately).

Good point.  I can add a quirk such that it only happens with the C920.

> I would like to get a better understanding of the problem first. As I
> don't
> have a C920, could you please perform two tests for me ?
>
> I would first like to know what the camera reports as its exposure time
> after
> starting the stream. If you get the exposure time at that point (by
> sending a
> GET_CUR request, bypassing the driver cache), do you get the value you
> had
> previously set (which, from your explanation, would be incorrect, as the
> exposure time has changed based on your findings), or a different value ?
> Does
> the camera change the exposure priority control autonomously as well, or
> just
> the exposure time ?

It's a bit of a strange behaviour.  I'd already tried littering the code
with (uncached) GET_CUR requests.  It seems that the value changes
sometime during the call to usb_set_interface in uvc_init_video.
Strangely enough though calling uvc_ctrl_restore_values immediately
after uvc_init_video has no effect.  It must be put after the
usb_submit_urb loop to fix the problem.

> Then, I would like to know whether the camera sends a control update
> event
> when you start the stream, or if it just changes the exposure time
> without
> notifying the driver.

Wireshark tells me that it is sending a control update event, but it
seems like uvcvideo ignores it.  I had to add the flag
UVC_CTRL_FLAG_AUTO_UPDATE to the uvc_control_info entry for "Exposure
(Auto)" for the new value to be properly reported to userspace.

Thanks

Will