On September 2, 2014 2:28:23 AM EDT, Lorenzo Marcantonio
<l.marcanto...@logossrl.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 07:58:52PM -0400, Andy Walls wrote:
>> A Merlin firmware of 16 kB strongly suggests that this chip has an
>> integarted Conexant CX25843 (Merlin Audio + Thresher Video = Mako)
>> Broadtcast A/V decoder core.  The chip might only have a Merlin
>> integrated, but so far I've never encountered that.  It will be easy
>> enough to tell, if the Thresher registers don't respond or only
>respond
>> with junk.
>
>However I strongly suspect that these drivers are for a whole *family*
>of empia device. The oem ini by roxio talks about three different
>parts... probably they give one sys file for everyone and the oem
>customizes the ini.
>
>In short the merlin fw may not be actually used for *this* part but
>only
>for other empia devices/configurations.
>
>Otherwise I wonder *why* a fscking 1.5MB of sys driver for a mostly
>dumb
>capture device...

Yeah.  I guess you can analyze the USB captures of the Windows driver and see
if it looks like cx25843 registers are being accessed.  If so, you are that
much closer to a working linux driver.  If not, you still have an unknown
decoder as a big hurdle.

Regards,
Andy