Hi Mauro,

On Tuesday 16 September 2014 07:58:12 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:15:27 +0300 Laurent Pinchart escreveu:

> > > Ok. From the discussions we took yesterday on the thread, I got the
> > > wrong impression from Nicolas comments that this happens only with
> > > gst < 1.4 and libv4l >= 1.2.
> >
> > My understanding is that recent gst versions worked around the problem,
> > and the above combination of versions might be problematic, but gst 0.10
> > is definitely affected.

> > > Ok, I'll rewrite the text. We likely want to fix the documentation too,
> > > in order to reflect the way it is.

> > > This patch simply broke all VBI applications. So, it should be reverted.
> > >
> > > From what you're saying, using Gst 0.10 with a kernel before 3.16 and
> > > VB2 was always broken, right?
> >
> > Correct. And not only gst 0.10, any userspace application that doesn't
> > specifically handles transient buffer underruns will be affected.
> >
> > vb2 doesn't conform to the V4L2 specification, and I believe the
> > specification is right in this case. Reverting this patch will push the
> > problem to userspace, where all applications will have to handle buffer
> > underruns manually.
>
> What happens with VB1? How is it solved there?
>
> I don't generally use gst 0.10, but I don't remember a single error
> report about gst 0.10 and VB1-based drivers.

I haven't tried VB1, but a quick look at the source code shows it to be
affected as well.

The problem with gst 0.10 is only noticeable when a buffer underrun occurs
(when you don't requeue buffers fast enough and the queue buffers list becomes
temporarily empty), so it can very well go unnoticed for a long time.

> > > And with VB1, is it also broken? If so, then this is a Gst 0.10 bug,
> > > and the fix should be a patch for it, or a recommendation to upgrade
> > > to a newer version without such bug.
> >
> > As explained above, this isn't a gst bug.
> >
> > > If, otherwise, it works with VB1, then we need to patch VB2 to have
> > > exactly the same behavior as VB1 with that regards, as VBI works
> > > with VB1.
> >
> > One option would be to have implement a different poll behaviour for VBI
> > and video.
>
> That would be a nightmare.

I don't like it much either. Hans has posted a proposal to fix the problem an
hour ago, let's discuss it.

Laurent Pinchart