> Well, perhaps you could add a printk message warning the user that
> the driver is not using the latest firmware and performance/quality
> could be badly affected.

I wouldn't use the term "badly affected".  There are tens of thousands
of units out there for which users are quite happy with the current
firmware.  The firmware fixes an edge case that affected a very small
subset of users when receiving signals from a specific QAM modulator
product.  The vast majority of users would be perfectly fine using the
old firmware indefinitely.

That said, I certainly have no objection to a message stating that
there is newer firmware available than what they are currently
running.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs