On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 05:35:41PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 04:26:45PM +0200, Aya Mahfouz wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 04:06:00PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > > drivers/staging/media/lirc/lirc_zilog.c
> > >   1333  /* Close the IR device */
> > >   1334  static int close(struct inode *node, struct file *filep)
> > >   1335  {
> > >   1336          /* find our IR struct */
> > >   1337          struct IR *ir = filep->private_data;
> > >   1338
> > >   1339          if (ir == NULL) {
> > >                     ^^^^^^^^^^
> > >   1340                  dev_err(ir->l.dev, "close: no private_data
> > > attached to the file!\n");
> > >                                 ^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > I suggest you just delete the error message.  Can "ir" actually be NULL
> > > here anyway?
> > >

> > Since I'm a newbie and this is not my code, I prefer to use pr_err().
>
> This driver doesn't belong to anyone.  Go ahead and take ownership.  The
> message is fairly worthless and no one will miss it.

ok.

> > In general, I can send a new patch to fix the aforementioned warnings.
> > Kindly let me know if you prefer that I send a second version of this
> > patch.
>
> No.  The first patch was already applied so send a new patch.

I will fix the static errors that my patch caused. The warning concerning
the double free will require rewriting some parts of the function and was
not caused by my patch. I have a couple of ideas in mind but I need
sometime to apply them. Greg too is not happy about the coding style of
this driver in general.

> regards,
> dan carpenter

Kind Regards,