Hi,

On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:10:51AM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/27/2014 10:28 AM, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >>I notice that you've not responded to my proposal to simple make the clock
> >>node a child node of the clocks node in the dt, that should work nicely, and
> >>avoid the need for any kernel level changes to support it, I'm beginning to
> >>think that that is probably the best solution.
> >
> >Would that not cause an overlap of the io regions, and cause one of them
> >to fail? AFAIK the OF subsystem doesn't like overlapping resources.
>
> No the overlap check is done by the platform dev resource code, and
> of_clk_declare
> does not use that. So the overlap would be there, but not an issue (in theory
> I did not test this).

An overlap is always an issue.

> Thinking more about this, I believe that using the MFD framework for the prcm
> seems
> like a mistake to me. It gains us nothing, since we have no irq to
> de-multiplex or
> some such. We're not using MFD for the CMU, why use it for CMU2 (which the
> prcm
> effectively is) ?

Because the PRCM is much more than that. It also handles the power
domains for example.

And also because the 1 node per clock is no longer the current trend
and that Mike discourages to use that model nowadays.

> So I think it would be best to remove the prcm node from the dt, and simply
> put the
> different blocks inside it directly under the soc node, this will work fine
> with
> current kernels, since as said we do not use any MFD features, we use it to
> create platform devs and assign resources, something which will happen
> automatically
> if we put the nodes directly under the soc node, since then simple-bus will
> do the
> work for us.
>
> And then in a release or 2 we can remove the mfd prcm driver from the kernel,
> and we
> have the same functionality we have now with less code.
>
> We could then also chose to move the existing prcm clock nodes to
> of_clk_declare
> (this will work once they are nodes directly under soc with a proper reg
> property).
> and the ir-clk can use allwinner,sun4i-a10-mod0-clk compatible and can live
> under
> either clocks or soc, depending on what we want to do with the other prcm
> clocks.

Have you considered the SMP code in that smooth plan?

The one that is in neither a platform driver, nor a clock, nor does it
have a compatible of its own, but still needs to access some of the
PRCM registers?

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons