On 12/22/2014 03:36 PM, Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
On 22.12.2014 14:25, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Em Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:07:02 +0100
Matthias Schwarzott <z...@gentoo.org> escreveu:

Hi!

Should the commit message directly point to the breaking commit
36efec48e2e6016e05364906720a0ec350a5d768?

Yes, if this fixes an issue that happened on a previous commit, then
you should add the original commit there.

That likely means that this is a regression fix, right? So, you should
c/c the patch to stable, adding a comment msg telling to what Kernel
version it applies (assuming that the patch was merged on 3.18).
Also, please add "PATCH FIX" to the subject, as this patch should be
sent to 3.19 as well.

This commit hopefully reverts the problematic attach for the Starburst
card. I kept the GPIO-part in common, but I can split this also if
necessary.

Keep the GPIO part in common is better, if the GPIOs are the same.

Hi!

The GPIO-Pins that are used are the same on both cards. And I assume the
ones that control Si2165 on HVR-5500 are just unused on Starburst, so
setting them does not hurt (and Antti confirmed that the patch works).

It registers all the chips correctly, I didn't test it actually anymore :] I don't even have live signal, just generator, satellite finder to test voltage/tone and one 4-port DiSEqC switch.

The cards have more in common, but I could not find a clean way to share
attaching and TS-config of the DVB-S2 frontend.

In my understanding Starburst is HVR-4400, but only satellite tuner is installed to PCB - whilst terrestrial/cable is left out.

I think the root of mistake was done years ago when all these HVR-4400 revisions were put to same profile. Matthias didn't realized there is device missing totally another tuner when he added later support for these full-featured models.

So I will change the commit message, prefix subject with PATCH fix, and
resend the patch here and c/c to stable.

It is not so simple as there is multiple new devices added to that driver after that. You will need to make stable patch against older kernel version.

regards
Antti
--
http://palosaari.fi/