From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo Config
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:01:36 -0800

User wrote in message <77o473$t60$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi folks:
>  I installed win95 and RedHat Linux on my machine. It works great, except
>when I boot up the computer, I have to type win95 to load windoz. How do I
>change it to something else? Tried /etc/lilo.conf, but didn't work.

You remembered to run /sbin/lilo to re-configure LILO according to your
changes in /etc/lilo.conf, didn't you?

jue
--
Jürgen Exner; microsoft.com, UID: jurgenex
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

------------------------------

From: jkmccool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to config Red Hat Linux as a DNS server?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:06:01 GMT

Liqiong Li wrote:

> I am posting to ask if someone know if it is possible to config Red Hat
> Linux(5.2) as a DNS server. I think it should, but I can not find the
> related document.
> Your help will be very much appreciated!
> -Li

  Install the Diald package, read the howto.

------------------------------

From: Juergen Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Minimal BOOT installation for ethernetcard.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:07:34 GMT

> Hello,
>
> I have put an ethernet-card (NE2000) in a PC. On this PC no OS is
> istalled. Now I want to create a BOOT-disk, that it is possible to
> boot
> from this
> disk  (is not the problem)  and than connecting the PC to the LAN and
> copy files from the server.
> Which files are needed on the BOOT disk ?

Juergen Berger

------------------------------

From: "Mark Swope" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Obtaining + installing Linux (Q from linux virgin)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:13:47 -0600

David Jones wrote in message ...
>Hello.
Hello

>I don't yet know how to do this, but I would like to use Linux rather than
>Windoze to configure whatever has to be configured in order to allow (and
>organise) the dual-boot set-up itself. I don't want to use Microsoft
>software to configure this most important part of my system...because,
>well, we know what they're like. Although I will buy Windoze, I am
>planning to ask my retailer NOT to install it on my new system. I want to
>install Linux first and then to install Windoze having configured a boot
>manager with Linux.

My advise is NOT to do this.  More often than not, if you install Win9x
after
Linux, windows hijacks the MBR (master boot record) and makes Linux
inaccessible.  Besides, if you get the manufacturer to install it, they'll
*hopefully* have access to some of the correct (if not the latest) drivers.
On the other hand, it's not impossible to do it your way.

>where do I actually get Linux?

I find that getting for a true newbie, getting one of the book/disk combos
is a great way to get started.  Once you've installed once you'll be past
the book and can learn from the newsgroups and docs (not in that order!).
Linux is documented extensively on the web.  The only problem with this
is getting a reasonably up-to-date distribution.

>What flavour would people recommend? Is Red Hat Linux a flavour of Linux
>or is it an app of some kind? What are the good reasons for buying a
>commercial distribution of some kind? Is Red Hat such a distribution?

Some of the book/disk combos give you more than one distribution (the one
that I started with had Slackware and Red Hat).  Other sources, such as
Infomagic (www.infomagic.com) offer disk sets that have many distributions,
plus a LOT of other stuff.

>Assuming I download a nice flavour of Linux from an FTP site or wherever,
>using my Mac, what do I do then??? Do I have to create a boot disc, or
>what? And how do I do that? What format should that disc have? AFAIAA my
>Mac can create only Mac and DOS discs. Will it actually be possible to
>create a Linux boot disc on my Mac that will enable the installation of
>Linux on the Pentium II, or will I have to use somebody else's PC to
>create the Linux boot disc in the first place?

UGH! don't do that....  Aside from the tremedous challenge of keeping
everything
straight, you'd be downloading for an awfully long time and you'd still have
to get
the distribution OFF of the mac onto the PC (somehow).  It can be done but
it'll
be a slow, disgusting, error-prone process and you really don't need this
kind
of trouble on your first try.  GET A CD!  (don't even bother with a distr.
on floppy!)

>I just need a better view of how to get Linux installed on the PC - which
>let us assume will have no OS on it at all - having downloaded it to my
>Mac.
Well, if you INSIST doing it this way, you probably need something like the
Slackware distribution that you can make (about 70) floppies from.  You'll
create
a boot/root floppy pair that'll load a basic kernel with most of the drivers
for
your hardware (you'll have to pick the best match for your hardware - there
are
many boot/root combos).  [note: I'm not certain that the boot/root images
come
in a form that you can get them off a mac to a DOS diskette - maybe someone
else can confirm].
After you boot into the minimal LINUX, you'll prepare your harddrive
partitions,
then start loading software.  After your 70th floppy and your 80th birthday
and loading
LILO (and making a boot floppy), you can reboot into your new installation.
And, if
you're like 60% of the other 1st time installers, some of your peripherals
won't quite
work.  This is because your pristine install needs to be tuned (and the
kernel
probably needs to be recompiled) to operate your new hardware.  The fine
tuning
stage is part of the fun and challenge of the Linux system - the
installation shouldn't
be...  I guess you can tell that I feel pretty strongly about this :-)

Good luck and hang in there!
mas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Wray)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: redhat 5.2 server make risky partition
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:03:46 GMT

Mark L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I installed redhat 5.2 and choosed sever and not custom. It installed
>with many default setting. After installation, I found it placed root
>partition on the bottom which is beyond 1024 cyclinder of my scsi hd.
>And also I got a warning message when I run fdisk. What I know is we
>need to place root partition within 1024 cyclinder for scsi hd and 512
>cyclinder for ide hd. Is linux no need to care about this anymore
>because the latest kernel or something was made to improve already?
>
>Also, they made a /boot in the seperated partition and placed at the
>first part. I was usually let it with / partition. Is there any purpose
>to do it?
>
>Any information is appreciated,
>mark  @  chevalier.net

RH5.2 Druid is buggy. It happily created an 1800M partition on my W95
hda, even though I only allowed it to access hdb, and reported a free
space on hda of minus 1800M which it thought was ok.

Then, having rebooted and managed to keep its fingers out of hda, it
created hdb2 native, hdb6 swap, and hdb7 native. Even fdisk agreed
with what it had done. Only problem was that mke2fs and the installer
both preferred to treat the logical partitions as hda5 and hda6,
thereby trying to put my chosen packages in the swap space.

Colin.

P.S. I am very impressed by RedHat support, who reply to my emails
within 24 hours.

Colin Wray, Greenchurch Software Ltd, UK
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Pramod Mulay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: System Reset !! Help !!
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:17:17 -0600

Hi,

I had the system running, with all the features (X, apache, all
deamons... etc). But due
someones carelessness the machine was reset. The system restarted and
now it does not
recognize the hard disk ( I think that the FAT has been damaged).

I tried to use the rescue disk but it gives the following message :
hda : no response (status = 0xf4)
hda : non-IDE drive, CHS=1024/16/63
Partition check:
 hda: status timeout : status=0xf4 { Busy }
 hda: drive not ready for command
 ide0: reset timed-out, status=0xf4
VFS: Insert root floppy to be loaded into ramdisk and press ENTER
It mounts the ext2 filesystem....in readonly mode....then..

Unable to open an initial console.

After this it just does nothing....

Please give me some information how  I could revieve my system...
The last alternative would be to install the system again... which I
want to avoid.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Pramod Mulay

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Subject: Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux
Date: 15 Jan 1999 16:09:14 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
brian moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip no harm could be done via dialup]
>Well, not sure if I'd go that far: since a dialup user could do nasty
>things with mail loops.  (Though it's unclear whether to count a
>.forward on a pair of well-connected servers as 'dialup', so maybe I'm
>just being pedantic.  Having seen half a T1 consumed by a mail loop,
>it's not pretty.)

        See two lusers with DOS boxen. See DOS boxen having nothing but a
UUCP links. To the same site. See lusers learning about bang paths. See
lusers learning about Return-Receipt-To. See lusers 'configuring' their
shitty DOS mailers. See said lusers finding the way to misconfigure said
mailer to the point when it (a) includes the posting into the confirmation
message and (b) doesn't notice that reply to reply shouldn't be sent.
See them exchanging their findings. See one of them sending 2 ~600K .dvi's
to another. See the rest of said story (3 *slow* modem lines, two tied solid,
box being swamped by shuffling shit around (aside of handling normal logins
and acting as router), lusers unable to realize that something went wrong,
"power users" fighting for the remaining line to download their portion of
FightoNet stuff). 'twas the weekend...

        See power luser who learnt something about SMTP and had a PPP link.
See power luser doing the thing in manly way. Yeah, you guessed right,
telnet <box where the shell accounts live>
HELLO <lusername>
<CR>
<lusername>
<password>
HELLO <lusername>
<CR>
?
DOCS
?
<cut and paste a 800K binary>
<... which happens to create a fork bomb. Bites me, but it did>
See one unhappy box. No, it had ulimit, all right, but waay too liberal.
See a majestic LART applied to said luser. See (admittedly, somewhat fascist)
ulimit set after, erm, incident. See other power lusers whining and flaming
around. Guess whom do they flame? Right.

        See a luser pissing some MUDak off. See MUDak flaming said luser.
See luser getting pissant. See him flaming back. See MUDak setting a
procmail receipt that bounces flame back. See luser asking a friendly power
luser what to do. See said power luser, proud by his 'knowledge', crafting
up a similar receipt. See luser asking how to double the bounces. See FPL
doing that. See the *exponential* mailbomb. See two admins mumbling 'H*stur!'
and cleaning the mess. See the luser telling that it didn't do anything. See
it under the pressure. See it telling *who* wrote the damned thing. See
the mess left in place of lusers' accounts. See lusers complaining.

        See a luser with dialup. See said luser setting up .forward to root
(sure, we all know what account does it use on its box). See luser wanting
to play safe and adding domain name *of the ISP*. See luser deciding to test
the thing. See luser sending the first large file it sees in /tmp (~60Mb tar
of smut).  See luser examining root's mailbox. Hmm... It took long and didn't
work. Let's click again. And again. And again. And... AAAAARRRRGH!!!

        One *doesn't* need anything special to materialize a shit hill of
Lovecraftian proprtions in the most unpleasant time above the most inconvenient
place. Murphy being what it is, you'll invariably happen to be at the Ground
Zero when it will meet the ground.

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: "David Z. Maze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which is the best Linux Distribution?
Date: 15 Jan 1999 16:29:07 -0500

Hugo van der Merwe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Hugo> I am currently using RH 5.1, and would like to buy myself a more
Hugo> up-to-date CD of a Linux Distribution. A friend of mine has
Hugo> Debian, and seems to think very highly of it. I was wondering:
Hugo> could you mention a couple of the most significant pro's and
Hugo> con's of Debian and RedHat?

I don't know a whole lot about RedHat, other than the complaints I've
heard on newsgroups :-)  Definitely, Debian has better library
support; while RedHat has difficulty dealing with more than one
version of the Gtk+ libraries, the current Debian "unstable"
distribution includes the most recent 1.0 version of Gtk as well as
four or five 1.1.x versions.  libc5 support also seems better in the
Debian world.

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called
\_____________________________/

------------------------------

From: Patrick O'Neil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GTK+ 1.1.x question
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:12:34 -0700

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Kerry J. Cox wrote:

> Quick question.  It seems that so many programs now are using GTK+
> 1.1.x   However, I know that GIMP won't run using the 1.1 libraries.  Is

This is a MAJOR pain in the ass.

> there any simple way to have both my gtk+-1.0.6-3 rpm file and the
> latest gtk+-1.1.2 rpm installed?  I already tried to install the
> earliest gtk+1.1 and then GIMP wouldn't run.  Can I simply do a "rpm
> -ivh gtk+-1.1....rpm" instead of a "rpm -Uvh  gtk+1.1...rpm" and have

Yes, though there may be an order of install requirement to get it right.
I have both 1.0.6 and 1.1.7 installed and Gimp works as well as all the
other apps that require 1.1.x.  I just don't recall the precise way I went
about it.  I seem to recall needing to use --force.

patrick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:27:40 -0800

On 14 Jan 1999 11:58:29 -0800, Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    jedi>      My disdain for Microsoft's customers rather predates
>    jedi> Linux.
>
><shrug>  Okay, so you're a snob.  "A legend in your own mind," as a
>sarcastic person might put it.

        Microsoft customers make that far too easy.

[deletia]

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: Kryz Caputa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WP8 equations<->MSWord?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:26:38 -0800

Brian Moore wrote:

> Just to be clear--the linux wp8 *does* have an equation editor?  I
> was using the free version, which I like, and saw that it did not
> have an equation editor and I was about to order the retail version,
> but it did not make this clear on the web page.

The answer I think is: maybe

I phoned the people who issue the WP8 licenses and sell the personal
version and they said they had not seen the shrink wrapped version yet.
Actually the guy expressed surprise that there was any difference at all
between the downloadable and shrink wrapped version because he believed
the free version was supposed to be the whole thing.

The Corel salesman for the WP8 for Win on the other hand was very
confident that there was compatibility with MSWord equations built into
WP8 but I will not believe until I see it for myself.

The whole issue of equations in MSWord seems kind of odd. I tried all
the versions of Adobe FrameMaker, a couple of versions of Applix, WP7
and WP8, Star Office, Lyx - none of these packages had the capability to
read or write MSWord equations.

What is so difficult about it?? The best the so called filters in these
things can do is to convert the equation in the original document into a
postscript insert.

Considering all the science students, and researchers, professional
people and a large part of the industry that occasionally use equations
in their documents, that is not such a marginal market. And all this
market is basically given away to M$FT?

Couldn't someone come up with an external filter, not a word processor,
no GUI, just a command line filter, something like msw2wp or msw2fm -
similar thing for framemaker and latex? Sounds like a good term project
for a computer science student - or is there mort to it than that? Are
the equations protected with a 128 bit key or something like that???

Many people, myself included, would pay for such a filter. Of course not
the outrageous price it takes to buy SoftWindows and MSOffice combo
which happens to be still less, if only slightly, than a new PeeCee with
Win/Office combo.

I am puzzled.
--
Kryz Caputa
Dpt of Electrical and Computer Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: UID Question
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:48:28 GMT

simon jordan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Any better Idea can't find MAX_UID in kernel files

include/asm_i386/posix_types.h has the typedef

typedef unsigned short __kernel_uid_t;

so there are only 16 bits available for a uid. Since
this typedef is used in various structures and
function parameters passed between the kernel
and user processes changing this typedef to a
32 bit integer would require recompiling
_everything_ on you system and
would inevitably break a lot of programs.

Norman

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zoom Modem
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:43:16 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Jeff Hill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a zoom 56k flex modem upgraded to v.90.  It performs quite well but
> > sometimes it locks up.  I then have to turn it off and back on again.  This
> > gets frustrating because it is in another part of the building.

I have a Zoom 56k V.90 external modem that run beautifully!

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Switching to Windows 95
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:52:34 GMT

Stuart Peacock wrote:

> Because it won't run at all.
> A little Linux humor there.
>
> >This I just *have* to hear...why exactly will Win95 "run much better" if
> >I delete my COMMAND.COM from the root directory on my C drive?

Hey if your gonna remove command.com just go ahead and do a format c:
and your computer will thank your later. Just install Linux and suck it
up and drive on........

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

Windows VirusScan 1.0 - "Windows found: Remove it? (Y/N)"