  Re: please HELP: masquerading outgoing mail sender's ip (Bill Unruh)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: This is Linux, not Windows, so why not superior flexibility AND
idiot-friendly?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:49:30 -0800

On 16 Jan 1999 01:01:57 GMT, Gregory Loren Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In article <77ofit$h87$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>So true - what you use is what you like.  A foreign graduate student here
>>was all frustrated with windows because he was used to UNIX and coudn't
>>figure out how to grep in windows.
>
>Can you?

        Is there anything outside of a ported unix tool
        that does regular expressions in Windows?

--
                Herding Humans ~ Herding Cats

Neither will do a thing unless they really want to, or         |||
is coerced to the point where it will scratch your eyes out   / | \
as soon as your grip slips.

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:48:53 -0800

On 15 Jan 1999 17:08:22 -0800, Phil Stripling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Schüller) writes:
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MalkContent) writes:
[deletia]
>> > So until Linux can accomdated that kind of user, as well as power users,
>> > it's going to have a hard time becoming the dominant desktop OS.
>>
>> If a company's computer users are that ignorant, they should not have
>> general purpose computer OSes put in front of them.
>
>I _think_ this may be the elitism mentioned by Mr. Malkcontent, no?

        No, THERE IS a point at which the user shell, no matter
        how simple will simply not make up for the fact that there
        is no intellegence coming from the operator.

>Although you may disagree that Windows/MacOS are more user friendly, many
>seem to think otherwise, including me, by the way. Preferring DOS to Mac
>speaks of your approach to computing, not to objective ease of use. I _do_
>think that the Mac OS is, objectively, easier to use than Un*x. And I have

        That's more a matter of quality control and can be quite
        easily replicated by commercial unix vendors that can exert
        the same kinds of control over their systems as Apple can.

        Microsoft doesn't have that and much of it's problems relative
        to the MacOS in may ways are due to that. Even motherboard
        components on PC's vary.

>the impression that the elitists (see above) would prefer that the various
>flavors of Un*x, including Linux, remain their exclusive domain, while
>sneering at "the rest of us." :-> I am just one of the ignorant horde that
>do not deserve Linux.
>
>I have to say I agree with the general drift of his comments:
>Until Linux can be installed on home computers as easily as putting the
>CD-ROM in the tray and clicking OK, Linux will stay a niche OS for -- well,

        The lack of that never stopped Windows or DOS. The MacOS is
        not really a market relevant example in this sort of thing.

        Although, one can luck out with either Windows or Linux and have
        the installer do all the work. Similarly, both can tank on you.
        The same can be said of BeOS as well.

>I started to say elitists, but that is not fair. Let us say it will stay a
>niche OS for people who are more interested in being able to run the OS
>than in being able to get something done with it.

        That depends on rather or not crashes and configuration
        corruption and poor concurrency in general tend to
        interfere with things getting done.

        I already did the single-tasking thing on a 1M 68000/8.
        I expect better these days & WinDOS gave me all the training
        necessary (ironic as hell).

>Until the elite can come up with a general purpose OS that the ignorant
>are worthy to have in front of them, the great unwashed are not going to
>be using Linux. And it is the great unwashed that drive the market for
>software that drives the market for OSes. It is the great unwashed that
>is voting for Windows.

        Your view of Windows is rather out of touch with reality.
        What Windows and DOS always had going for it was 'all the
        apps'.

        That's why cheaper, faster, easier platforms never made a dent.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Earthlink unfriendly to Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:48:51 GMT

Larry writes:
> The problem here is more along the lines of: I was trying to get gas in
> the car and when I switched on the gas pump a short in it caused the pump
> to explode. I was accused of crossing the wires that caused the short by
> sticking the nozzle in the tank.

Better analogy: In the process of figuring out how to work the ATM at your
new bank you accidently put your card in upside down.  They accuse you of
trying to sabotage the machine and close your account.

Alexander Viro writes:
> don't do things you don't understand if they can affect the rest of the
> net.

Any ISP that has their system configured so that a dialup user messing
around with his mail configuration can "affect the rest of the net" is
being managed by a pack of bungling incompetents.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ehonda)
Subject: Install KDE
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 02:02:38 GMT

Dear friends,
               I got RH5.2 CD from CheapByte.I have successfully
installed the program and please advise how to install the KDE which
is not in the RPM directory.

When i use the command rpm -i kde it comes out can't open the file
Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Mulks)
Subject: Re: RH 5.2, SMB Installation, SMC Ether EZ 8416
Date: 15 Jan 1999 02:02:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>I am tryiing to install RH5.2 on a Dell Pentium 100 (FWIW it is a Dell
>Optiplex GMT 5100). I don't have a CDROM drive, but the PC on the next
>desk does. So I rawrite myself the supplementary disk and share the
>RH5.2 install CD from the PC next to me. I boot up with the boot disk,
>select SMB installation, load the supplementary disk and it asks me to
>select the Ethernet card. I tried EVERY DAMN ONE (Other than the
>parallel port driver, plip I believe it was) and it couldn't detect my
>"SMC Ether EZ 8416". Now, in any other situation i'd go rooting around
>for the drivers for that card and compile them into the kernel and life
>would be good. The problem is that this is the RH installation program
>and I am not sure what to add where. Any advice??? Thanks...
>
>Please respond directly and I will post a summary of what works. See my
>sig below to build my address...
>
>P.S. I even tried picking the NE2000 compatible and manually typing the
>IO base and IRQ and it didn't make a bit of difference...
>

>--
>-Chuck
>
>Domain: boeing.com
>UID: richard.c.wolber
>Sorry for the e-mail inconvenience.
>
>These are my thoughts, they do not represent the
>Boeing Company.

get a copy of ezstart (comes with the smc card), boot to dos, run the
program, setup irq & io, test the card, write down irq & io address
that works with dos

install rh5.2, select smc-ultra, don't autoprobe - enter

"irq=11 io=0x260"  (no quotes & use the numbers you wrote down)

where it asks for them (just below the "autoprobe" selection)

I looked at the source code for the smc-ultra that comes with rh5.0
It checks io's 0x240, 0x280, 0x300 and a couple others.  When I had it
set for 0x240, autoprobe worked fine.  But then I swapped in a different
sound card and Win95 (it's dual-boot) took over that address for the
sound card.  Figured out what the problem was with Win95, & Linux too,
but it took a bit longer.

Drove me right up a f'n wall until I tracked down the problem.

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: 14 Jan 1999 17:48:49 -0800

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Date: 15 Jan 1999 22:28:10 -0500

In article <77om8e$dif$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Excuse me Mr. Viro, but I must ask you a question.  Are you one of those
>idiots who plugs in a new computer or monitor without performing
>electrical safety tests on it?  Have you taken any electronics/electrical
>courses before you plug your equipment into the wall outlet?  My guess is
>no.

>Since you are clearly ignorant in the field of electrical safety, I must
>insist that you run your computers on an isolation transformer in a
>fireproof rubber lined room until you grasp the fundementals of
>electricity and electronics.  There are simple things to consider before
>doing. Like, what things are dangerous. Or what things are safe. Or just a
>general idea of WTF happens.
        Gee... You know, what I *know* that.

>You might want to connect the soundcard of your computer to your stereo
>system.  The outlet of your computer could be on a different circuit that
>the outlet your stereo is plugged into.  Ever hear of a ground loop?  The
        Sure. Seen an idiot who managed to do even better - ground the case
of his box with his body. Not a pretty sight. Turned out that there were
guys with a *serious* transformer working... And grounded to the water pipe
connected connected to one he touched (hell... sorry, not a native speaker).
He shorted about 15kV. Left alive, but... BTW, where did you get the idea
that such things can be taught only in college?

>patch cable between could overheat and burst into flames.  Your actions
>could result in your death, endanger the lives of firefighters, and if you
>live in a dorm/apartment, the lives of the general public.  The risks of
>causing a ground loop are even greater when you run network cable.  Are
>you sure the electrical wiring between the two PCs are at the same ground
>potential?
        Yes, indeed. Fires aside, ever seen a fried motherboard? Much more
probable, so even if one doesn't give a flying damn for general public, etc.
making *bloody* sure that there is *no* ground mismatches is damn good idea.
What the fsck do they teach in your schools?

>When you fire up a monitor that hasn't been used in a few years, do you
>bother to reform the capacitors?  Hell.  Why the f**k should you care.
>Your doing this at work.  You don't give a rat's ass if the place burns
        Hell, you seem to know a lot of things about me and my work. Sorry, no
cookie.
>down and people die.  You have no respect for others Mr. Viro.  You are
>being one reckless bastard.

>Since you are obviously clueless about electronics and electricity like
>the other mindless consumer drones, I suggest that you ask the power
>company for their permission before you plug in any new computer
>equipment.  An overloaded outlet can easily wreck a havok without any evil
>intents.  Ever see a large commerical fire?
        ... and somebody who *does* overload the outlet is asking for all shit
he gets. So? BTW, try it in dorm, leave several neighbors without light. Then
repeat it and watch^Wfeel what they'll do upon you. And will be f*cking right
at that.

>Oh I suppose you sometimes use those 3 prong cheater adapters, and have a
        Thou doth supposeth way too much.
>bare light bulb in your closet space and never mind those non GFCI
>outlets.  Get a dammed copy of the National Electrical Code and RTFM.  If
>you don't know the NEC you don't have any business flicking a light
>switch.  You shouldn't be using ANY electricity.

>Some holier than thou college student who knows more than YOU!

Darn impressive... Not. You could add something about dropping pieces of metal
into the monitor, BTW. Or you could go on phase differences between the
outlets. Or dealing with statics. Not that it would improve overall impression
that much. As for the holier than thou exercise - C-. I could do it better.
In *your* field. Main mistakes: general tone waaay too childish + an obvious
belief that nothing but a college course may give a knowledge in question.
I can understand that you are proud being smart enough to get to oh-so-cool
college, but... Piss-poor.

Moreover, you've missed the idea: one who tinkers with the things he doesn't
understand is bloody responsible for all results. So overall I'ld say that
it's closer to D+. Try better and you may generate something that *would* be
new for me. If it will be related to anything I do I'll be more than grateful
(no kidding). Considering the first attempt it's not too likely, but what the
hell? Getting a clue is always OK.

BTW, does a normal school course in US include at least *some* labs? I'm really
curious. All topics you've mentioned were covered in the school course in
f*cking Russia. We were simply not allowed to start doing something without
*that* basics. And it was *not* a facultative. Makes me wonder WTF do they
teach in your schools... OTOH, considering some details in microwave
instructions (don't use on pets) and the level assumed by university courses
in Math... Sheesh...

Oh, and before you'll start on that: I got *no* courses in UNIX/networking.
All programming in the school was on FORTRAN and PASCAL, and only after I
changed schools (being ~15 years old). One where I began had *no* programming
at all. And RSX-11 is *not* UNIX (we were extremely lucky - PDP-11, but OS...
arrgh). And courses in Uni were on OS-360 (baaarf... managed to escape *that*)
and, excuse me, DOS. One is bloody supposed to learn the thing himself if he
needs it. Been there, done that.

<end of holier than thou mode>

OK, methink it was better than your attempt. My apologies to innocent lurkers
- those games really belong to private email. Sorry. It was a long run - 48
hours of wading through extremely unpleasant code.
Caffeine low, system halted
NO CARRIER

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:09:04 -0500
From: mango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.samba
Subject: Re: samba / NT permissions?

I have this same problem to can some one help use please
thanks

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fvwm2 aspect
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:34:42 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In his obvious haste, alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
>
> : hey,
>
> : anyone figured out if it is possible to put a graphical image into
> : background? not just color or xpm files..
>
> It's simple with xv.
> Load a graphic into xv, such as the linux penguin.
> Press the "root" button and select one of the tiled or mirrored options.
> The image will pop into the background.
>
> You can also include it onto a script file as a command line like this:
>
> xv -root -rmode 9 /TEMP/u5a77/applestuff/splash -quit &
>
> -root selects the root option. -rmode selects how the picture will be
> displayed in the background and -quit quits the program, leaving the image
> behind.

Another possibility is TkWallpaper, which also does sequential stuff with a
list of graphics files.

Bev
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
 It is just a bicycle. It is not dedication and bugs
 in your teeth and dust and rain and mud.  It is not
 madness and harmony and glory and rhythm. It is not
 muscle and flesh and sweat and lycra and wind.
 It is just a bicycle.                    -- Bianchi
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: please HELP: masquerading outgoing mail sender's ip
Date: 16 Jan 1999 03:57:17 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Burrows)
writes:

>I enabled masquerading with the following procedure. First you must load
>the sendmail source from the RedHat cd. It will end up in
>/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/sendmail-8.8.7.

Of just edit sendmail.cf yourself ( the way all true men did in the past
before this m4 stuff came along!)
add  lines
Djyour.domain.name
DMyour.domain.name