Linux-Misc Digest #652, Volume #18               Sun, 17 Jan 99 03:13:13 EST

Contents:
  Re: disable PnP? (Scallica)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Arthur)
  Re: Mounting FAT32 (Michael Schlenstedt)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Richard Steiner)
  Kernel compile failure ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SUNos and Solaris ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Jeremy Crabtree)
  Linux compatiblity with Colorado tape drives. ("Patrick D. Rockwell")
  Re: Linux compatiblity with Colorado tape drives. ("Patrick D. Rockwell")
  HELP, Upgrading gcc to 2.7.2.3-X ("WangQiang")
  Where to get "rpmcontents" for RedHat 5.X ("WangQiang")
  Re: My partition choice (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: * and dot files (Michael Wang)
  Re: * and dot files (Michael Wang)
  Re: [Fwd: >>>matrox millinium g200 & Xconfigurator<<<] (Douglas Jerome)
  Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ... (King Nothing)
  Re: Dell Latitude CPi300XT + Linux (RedHat 5.2) (Michael Hagen)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class. (Michael Powe)
  Re: kernel 2.2.0pre7 can't find map file (Frank Hale)
  Re: Kernel compile failure (Enkidu)
  Re: How do I keep junk out of message log? (Stefan Davids)
  Re: Telnet macro.  Does it exist? (Ashok Aiyar)
  Star Office Discussion Forum ("DRLev")
  Star Office Discussion Forum ("DRLev")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Re: disable PnP?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 05:51:17 GMT

Try using a DOS boot diskette just to get to an A: prompt, then try using the
3com diskette.

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:25:32 -0800

Mark wrote:

> [...]

If your program has files open, the files may not get updated
correctly - cache not written, for example, or with an indexed
data base which has an index file and a data file, one may have
been updated but the other not. The end result is database
corruption, file system corruption (remember all of the lost
clusters you get? cross-linked files?) Since some of the mail
user agents use an index/data file type system, you can lose
mail or corrupt your mail system.

I fought this for years with a DB that's takes 1 to 2 hours
to rebuild, hoping you haven't lost any data. It doesn't corrupt
on every crash, but often enough to be a real time waster,
both for my time and system/CPU time.

Once a day may be an average - it may be as rarely as every 3 or
4 days, or as often as every time you launch a program for an
entire morning. Some of these may be unnecessary reboots, but
the automatic reaction I see in most Windows users is if something
goes wrong, or even just takes too long, they hit CTRL-ALT-DEL.

If you can tolerate it, then obviously you don't have a problem
and you have no reason to switch. But don't pretend Windows is a
reliable system.

> I think the poster's point is that the stability issue is somewhat
> overblown. If windows was as_bad_as_COLA folks say, it would have
> never managed the saturation it has.

Windows market saturation is more dependent on marketing to
computer manufacturers and its monopoly position than on the
quality customers perceive or don't perceive. the reverse of
that statement - that Windows IS as bad a COLA folks say, and
that's one reason Linux is growing rapidly - is probably
closer to the truth.

> I haven't had NT crash in so long
> I can't remember. Win95 I don't use for much of anything, but I do
> know many who use it for the usual email, browsing and games who have
> little to no trouble. In other words if you're arguing to someone who
> never has stability problems with windows the argument would get old.

Once again, there probably isn't a reason for those people to
switch. It's doubtful that many of those people would even follow
this NG closely.

> Is it as stable as MS marketing claims? Of course not. I wish they
> would put the money where their mouth is. Maybe if nothing else Linux
> will help Windows improve. It's time they (MS) had some competition.

And Windows reliability won't improve unless people complain
about or switch in significant numbers to other products. I've
struggled with MS products since the early 80's (although I did
use DR-DOS for a while, which I found to be much better pre Win3.1)
and I'm just happy to have MS and it's marketing smokescreen out
of my life.

> >Isn't it enough? What an idiot!

There's plenty else - just keep reading this newsgroup if
you want to see more.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Schlenstedt)
Subject: Re: Mounting FAT32
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:10:12 +0100

Am Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:47:33 +0100, schrieb RPEREZ:
>Hi,
>
>Which is the filesystem type to mount a FAT32 partition on RedHat 5.2
>Linux?
>
>Regards

mount -t vfat /dev/XXX /mountpoint

You also have to kompile a kernel with vfat-Support in it.

CU
Schlenn

--
Linux -- Where do you want to go tomorrow?
eMail:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:37:52 -0600

Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lou) spake unto us, saying:

>The ultimate point being missed here is not whether Linux is better
>than 95 or Unix better than DOS or which processor could have run what
>when....
>
>It's about games.

Largely, yes.  :-)  At least in the home desktop space.  Games are a
lot less important in other contexts.  But they DO drive OS popularity
(at least on the desktop).

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>---> Bloomington, MN
       OS/2 + Linux (Slackware+RedHat+SuSE) + FreeBSD + Solaris +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Kernel compile failure
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 06:06:36 GMT

Hi all, I am having a hard time compiling a custom kernel (2.0.36) on my
RedHat 5.2 system.  make config, make dep, and make clean all work.  When I
try to make zImage, the compile begins, and after 5 minutes or so of
compilation, I get this error message:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -E -D__ELF__ -traditional
-DSVGA_MODE=NORMAL_VGA  bootsect.S -o bootsect.s
as86 -0 -a -o bootsect.o bootsect.s
make[1]: as86: Command not found
make[1]: *** [bootsect.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [zImage] Error 2

What is this as86 command, and what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SUNos and Solaris
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 06:08:51 GMT

What's exactly the diference betwen SUNos and Solaris ?

Bento

"If you can't find on the 'Net...
 ... it doesn't exist."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 16 Jan 1999 06:24:09 GMT

Richard Steiner allegedly wrote:
>Here in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Morris)
>spake unto us, saying:
>
>>>Some of them were, yes.  Concurrent CP/M, PC-MOS and Xenix were
>>>all multitasking/multiuser.  DR-DOS was very similar to MS-DOS
>>>but with a lot of usability enhancements
>>
>>What's intriguing is what they could do with such
>>MINIMAL hardware back then!!
>
>Look at PC/GEOS as well for some amazing stuff on XT-class hardware.
>(That's GeoWorks Ensemble 1.x for those that remember)

How about ViewMAX/2 ? It ran on my 8088 as I recall.

(I had a 720x350 Hercules graphics card, tho <G>...didn't everyone? :)

(For the lesser informed, ViewMAX/2 was a very late incarnation of GEM/Intel)

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself  the
 difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are

------------------------------

From: "Patrick D. Rockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux compatiblity with Colorado tape drives.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:30:31 -0800

I'm planning to set up a multi platform system with Dos 6.22, Windows
95, OS2 Warp, and Linux. I
have a T1000 tape drive, but I'm planning to get a Colorado 4/8 Gb tape
drive (part number C4386B). I
know that Dos and Windows 95 work with it. What about Linux? Is there a
Linux driver which will
work with the tape drive that I'm planning to get? Is there a drive
which will work with all four OS's?

In particular, I'm planning to get Redhat Linux, but if there is another
better Linux out there which will
work with the Colorado 4/8 Gb tape drive, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

--
Patrick D. Rockwell
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Patrick D. Rockwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux compatiblity with Colorado tape drives.

From: "WangQiang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP, Upgrading gcc to 2.7.2.3-X
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:33:22 +0800

Hi, All

Currently in my Linux System, I have a kernel of 2.0.35.

My C/C++ compiler is gcc(gcc-c++) of 2.7.2.1 from RedHat 4.2. I want to
upgrade it to gcc-2.7.2.3-X. I tried to do this by using command:
            rpm -U gcc-2_7_2_3-14_i386.rpm
            OR
            rpm -U gcc-2_7_2_3-8_i386.rpm
(I downloaded these .rpm file from RedHat's ftp site.)

Then I got following error message:
            failed dependency:
                        /sbin/install-info     is needed by gcc-2.7.2.3

Normal, dependency requirements are some other RPM packages but this time it
asks for a file. I have no idea what this file is and where I can get one.

In its FTP site, RedHat provided "rpmcontent" list for its 3.03 and 4.2
version. Why don't they do this for its 5.X version or I just did find it?

Thanks for your help
little_boar: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "WangQiang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where to get "rpmcontents" for RedHat 5.X
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 14:37:57 +0800

Hi, All

Thanks for your answer!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: My partition choice
Date: 17 Jan 1999 05:59:43 GMT

Frank Hale  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have 128 megs of ram and I have never got it to use the swap and I
>usually a ton of apps opened.

Play around with editing images a little, and watch it go to work!

Gimp or Imagemagick are both quite capable of checking out your swap
for you.  Xv probably won't do anything that goes over 100Mb though,
so you could use it all day long and with 128Mb of RAM and probably
not start swapping unless  you view a dozen images at once.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: * and dot files
Date: 17 Jan 1999 06:36:08 GMT

>I usually use rm /tmp/.[a-zA-Z]*   but it's hard to type and it's not nice.

Files like .123   ._   .-   etc are not covered.
--
unix programs: niftp (non-interactive recursive ftp), hide (hide command args),
submit (replace nohup), etc from ftp://ftp.mindspring.com/users/mwang/unix-prog

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Wang)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Date: 17 Jan 1999 06:49:42 GMT

cd /tmp; find . | grep -v '^.$'
should be ok.

From: Douglas Jerome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: [Fwd: >>>matrox millinium g200 & Xconfigurator<<<]
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 01:51:47 -0700

Alan McLean wrote:

> brent stone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Alan McLean wrote:
> > >>

> > >For a trouble free installation do what David said.
> > >
> > >You don't need to download all of the X rpms.  The
> > >following are all you should need
> > >
> > >    XFree86-3.3.3-1
> > >    XFree86-libs-3.3.3-1
> > >    XFree86-75dpi-fonts-3.3.3-1
> > >    XFree86-devel-3.3.3-1
> > >    XFree86-VGA16-3.3.3-1
> > >    XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.3-1
> > >    XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3-1
> > > <snip>
> >
> > I got it working just by downloading the SVGA server
> > mgag200 is the chipset, I believe
>
> This may work.  Note, I did say for a _trouble_free_
> installation do the above.  Keep in mind XFree86-3.3.3
> is linked with the libs from XFree86-libs-3.3.3 and
> _not_ the libs from XFree86-libs-3.3.2.  This may be
> a non-issue, but it may also give you instability if
> certain changes have been made to the new libs.
>
> In general, it is not a good idea to mix packages from
> different releases.
>
> Also, the original poster is having a hard time
> producing his XF86Config file.  He _needs_ the
> XF86Config/VGA16 3.3.3 to create it, as again the
> G200 was _not_ supported in 3.3.2.
>
> -amcl

I have 3.3.2 and downloaded only the 3.3.3 server.
Xconfigurator did its thing and I'm zooming along
with an 8Mbyte AGP Matrox Millennium G200.  There
is a README.MGA that I also downloaded; it really
helped.

But; I am using xdm, and when I logout I get a line
of garbage along the top of my screen.  Anyone got
a good XF86Config for the G200?  Mine obviously isn't
quite right.

--
Douglas Jerome

------------------------------

From: King Nothing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:41:02 -0700

I saw this subject line that says this and that and then I read this....

Just remember one thing, you just admitted to the world that you "have
never paid for a microsoft product". If a microsoft employee were to get
pissed by this (and no I am not one) you end up paying more that what you
would have spent buying those Microsoft products and may even go to jail
for some time.

On the lighter side you don't HAVE to pay for Linux. There is no law that
says you have to pay.

As for copying try the 'cp' command used like this

cp <file1> <file2> just like in dos, but not as much typing.

Beeeeeee Nice!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:37:16 -0800
From: Michael Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Dell Latitude CPi300XT + Linux (RedHat 5.2)

Glad to hear it wasn't impossible.  I had endless trouble (not) getting
redhat 5.2 to run on a Dell Xpi p90.  The display split and switched
sides, the cd was not recognizable and nothing (win95, that is) worked
right for days afterward. Couldn't even get far enough along to see what
else didn't work. I'm waiting until I get a new machine which I know
will be compatible before I try it again.

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 16 Jan 1999 23:03:53 -0800

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.0pre7 can't find map file
Date: 15 Jan 1999 21:46:51 GMT

Gary Momarison wrote:

> Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I have 2.2.0pre7 loaded on my RedHat 5.2 box and everything is good. I
> > upgraded my modutils package to modutils-2.1.121. I also recompiled it
> > for my glibc version.
> >
> > I get the following errors on boot
> >
> > Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Cannot find map file.
> > Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Error seeking in /dev/kmem
> > Jan 15 00:29:16 FranksPC kernel: Error adding kernel module table entry.
> >

> > But the system is fine. All my modules load. PPP works, I can dial up to
> > my ISP, mount drives, use my sound card. No other error but that.
> >
> > I copied the System.map to the /boot directory after I compiled
> > 2.2.0-pre7 and I created the symlink. But I can't get rid of that error.
>
> You didn't say you reran "lilo". Do it so the boot record knows where
> the new map file is located.
>
> I was wondering about that myself. After installing 2.2.0-pre6, I almost
> did "rpm -e kernel", but that probably would have removed the map files.
> So where are they supposed to come from. The kernel tarball I think has
> one (or makes one), but it doesn't install it. What gives? I'm still
> using this:  /boot/System.map -> System.map-2.0.31 and it seems OK.

Yes I ran /sbin/lilo , I swear all the answers people give me I have
seen on dejanews.com about a million times. And none of those answers
fix the problem.

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

Windows VirusScan 1.0 - "Windows found: Remove it? (Y/N)"

------------------------------

From: Enkidu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Kernel compile failure
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:00:40 +1300

I believe it is part of the GNU assembler for Intel systems. On my
system it is in /usr/bin. If you find it there, your PATH may be
wrong.

Cliff

From: Stefan Davids <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I keep junk out of message log?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 09:41:29 GMT

Thomas Boggs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm getting a lot of repetetive messages in /var/log/messages such as:

>Jan 15 00:49:14 riemann innfeed[438]: decwrl can't resolve hostname:
>news1.pa.dec.com : (Unknown host)
>Jan 15 00:50:17 riemann innfeed[438]: uunet can't resolve hostname:
>news.uunet.uu.net : (Unknown host)
>Jan 15 00:52:54 riemann innd[417]: ME time 342240 idle 342240(2)
>artwrite 0(0) artlink 0(0) hiswrite 0(0) hissync 0(2)
>Jan 15 00:55:38 riemann innfeed[438]: decwrl checkpoint seconds 11400
>spooled 0 on_close 0 sleeping 0
>Jan 15 00:55:39 riemann innfeed[438]: uunet checkpoint seconds 11400
>spooled 0 on_close 0 sleeping 0
>Jan 15 01:45:31 riemann named[275]: NSTATS 916382731 916238727
>Jan 15 01:45:31 riemann named[275]: XSTATS 916382731 916238727 RR=1
>RNXD=0 RFwdR=0 RDupR=0 RFail=0 RFErr=0 RErr=0 RAXFR=0 RLame=0 ROpts=0
>SSysQ=1 SAns=0 SFwdQ=0 SDupQ=0 SErr=0 RQ=0 RIQ=0 RFwdQ=0 RDupQ=0 RTCP=0
>SFwdR=0 SFail=0 SFErr=0 SNaAns=0 SNXD=0

>Could someone tell me why I'm getting these and how to make them go
>away?  I know that the two hosts mentioned don't exist but I don't know
>what 'decwrl' and 'uunet' are or why they're trying to contact those
>hosts.

The first few lines are  peers that innd thinks it should be funneling
articles to via innfeed. If you look in innfeed.conf you'll see they
correspond to the examples that are installed by default; I suggest you
comment them out. Better still you probably don't even need to use innfeed,
so make sure you comment all unnecessary feeds out of the newsfeeds file as
well.

When you're done do `cltinnd reload all meow' and you should be fine.

The named stuff looks like you've told it to run verbosely.

Stefan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashok Aiyar)
Subject: Re: Telnet macro.  Does it exist?
Date: 16 Jan 1999 09:53:50 GMT

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:08:07 -0500,
    Christian Brideau ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>I want to automate complete telnet sessions.  In other words, logon-do
>stuff-get out.
>
>Is this scriptable?  If not is there a macro software out there that I
>could use to perform this task?

You have at least two choices:
a) use kermit which has it's own scripting language
   available from ftp://kermit.columbia.edu
b) use expect with your existing telnet binary (from NetKit)
   available from http://expect.nist.gov

Cheers,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research

------------------------------

From: "DRLev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Star Office Discussion Forum
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:56:52 -0600

A discussion forum for Star Division's StarOffice product has been created
at:

http://www.delphi.com/staroff

If you are not familiar with StarOffice:

http://www.stardivision.com

http://www.stardiv.de