Linux-Misc Digest #425, Volume #19               Fri, 12 Mar 99 09:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: suid root... (Jean-Yves TOUMIT)
  Re: Major modem trouble. ("K.A. Steensma")
  Re: Hotmetal Pro (Michael Proto)
  Re: Newbie, URGENT QUESTIONS (Michael Proto)
  Major modem trouble. (omegapi)
  Help: No man pages in Debian 2.1? ("Bill")
  Re: Help me with experiment ("George Georgakis")
  Re: Help: No man in Debian 2.1? (**Nick Brown)
  Re: memory management (David Steuber)
  Re: how to mount ftp-connection (Jens Reinsberger)
  Re: eth0: Rx frame corrupted (siim)
  Re: .bz2??? what is it? ("Anders G. Olstad")
  Re: kerneld not needed in 2.2? (Andy Piper)
  Re: FS support - kernel 2.2.1 (Andy Piper)
  Re: Upped wuftpd. ftpshut. Never came back on.... (Abe Lin)
  Text to bitmap convertor... (Raghavendra B K)
  Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix (Ralf Draeger)
  Re: [question] dcc for linux (Jean-Yves Simon)
  Re: Problems with maple after upgrade (Jeffrey Krebs)
  Re: Unwanted "failure" message at boot time (Charles Packer)
  Why is my microphone disabled in Red Hat Linux? (".exe")

From: Jean-Yves TOUMIT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: suid root...
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:36:29 +0000

William Cherry wrote:

> Jean-Yves TOUMIT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I have installed shadow on my linux box. Everything seems ok except for
> > xlock.
> First, when you installed the shadow suite, did you actually move
> the passwords into /etc/shadow and out of /etc/passwd?
Yes I have.

> If that doesn't work, I'd download the sources for xlock and
> compile them on your system.  The ./configure script that comes
> with the sources knows how to look for most common shadow password
> implementations.
Well, I have downloaded the source, but have some problems compiling
(it's
xlockmore, actually) (bad version of gtk, not finding crypt etc...) but
I'll
manage anyway.

But still, I would like to know why the tip with suid root doesn't work
because I would like to have some other commands (i.e. my backup script)
to be run suid root...
Thanks!

--
Jean-Yves TOUMIT
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "K.A. Steensma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Major modem trouble.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:08:38 GMT

My suggestion is that you are fighting a lost battle.  Your Supra modem is
not a 'win-modem' but it is next closest thing.  The combination of PCI and
PNP is probably to much to fight.  Get a 'real' modem that has jumpers for
the comm 1-4 ports.  In the long run, you can justify the cost of the modem
in the $ of your time.  KAS

------------------------------

From: Michael Proto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hotmetal Pro
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:47:33 +0000

jas shultz wrote:

> I read in Redhat Unleashed that there's a ver. of Hotmetal Pro for
> Linux, or atleast the X Windows system. Does anyone know anything about
> this? I checked the Hotmetal information at http://www.sq.com and was
> unable to find any mention of Linux of X Windows. Any assistance would
> be appreciated.
>
> Jas

I don't think there is a Linux version, but you might want to take a
look at WINE (a Windows emulator).

--
-] Michael Proto [-
-] MCP: Win95 [-

------------------------------

From: Michael Proto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie, URGENT QUESTIONS
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:48:42 +0000

eric malloy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am now sucessfully running Slackware 3.6
>
> I want to know how to do the following:
>
> 1) change my resolution to 800x600 from 600x480

Try running XF86Setup. It will allow you to select (among other things)
the resolution and color depth.

From: "Bill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: No man pages in Debian 2.1?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:03:13 -0800

With the help of people in these groups, I finally chose a distribution and
installed it, Debian 2.1.  But the command I had hoped to use to help start
learning what it's all about and how it works is missing.  When I type man,
I get an error message like bash: no such command.  I know just about
nothing but tried a few things I found in a book, like find, which turned up
some directories with man in their name (man1, man2, etc.) but none had the
man command itself.

I'm mystified and stumped, wondering maybe if they changed it in this new
distribution or hid it or what?  Thanks for your help.

------------------------------

From: "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help me with experiment
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 01:16:55 GMT

If you really want a bare-bones install, and want to avoid much of the
hassle involved, try ZipSlack from http://www.slackware.com

George
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems
I can be contacted thru hurro(a)hotmail.com

fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: **Nick Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: No man in Debian 2.1?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:52:04 +0100

You have to install the man-db package, which is at
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/doc/man-db_2.3.10-68.deb
if you don't have the CD.

If you are a total newcomer to Unix in general, you might want to buy a
book.  There is a Debian 2.0 book at www.linuxpress.com, but any Linux
book will cover 99% of what you need.  Trying to learn Unix from 'man'
is like studying French by reading Voltaire in the original.

Bill wrote:

> When I type man in Debian 2.1 I get something like bash:man no such command.
> This is very disappointing because I'd hoped to learn from these pages.  I'm
> a total newcomer.  I've looked in books and FAQ's but they keep telling me
> to use man, which I can't.

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: memory management
Date: 10 Mar 1999 21:04:23 -0500

Daniel Naughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

-> started.  I use "top" to show what's running.  I've added up the column
-> for %mem used - it comes to about 40%, but 80% of the memory is consider
-> "used".
->
-> What gives?  It doens't go into swap when I start new applications, so
-> should I just pay no attention to it?

Linux will use all available memory for disk cache.  As you use the
disk, the blocks read get chached in RAM.  This improves performance
and actually uses the memory you paid so much money for.

So, don't worry about it.  If an application needs more memory, it
will be made available.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

Where was it you said you wanted to go today?  Sorry, you can't get
there from here.

------------------------------

From: Jens Reinsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to mount ftp-connection
Date: 12 Mar 1999 12:11:52 GMT

peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
p> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>> nfs != ftp

p> yes, but I´ve seen a fstab a few weeks ago where something like this
p> worked (I saw the metalabs on a public ftp mounted as /lab, but I can

Then there was obviously a nfs server installed, too. Look at the manpages
for nfsd and the exports file. The new 2.2.X kernels support acting as nfs
server directly but I don't have any experience with that yet.

Bye, Jennes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (siim)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux,comp.os.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: eth0: Rx frame corrupted
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 12:12:42 GMT

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:14:59 GMT, Stu Lewallen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would start by getting the 2.0.36 source and recompiling.

Done. Still same error.

Would it be worth the effort to install the 2.2 kernel ?

------------------------------

From: "Anders G. Olstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .bz2??? what is it?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:48:57 +0100

Keith Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: What file format is .bz2, and what program do I use to uncompress it?

Well - it is bz2 format... Use 'bzip2' with options to to decompress it.

See also. 'man bzip2'
--
Anders Gulden Olstad @ Jeeves
RedHat 5.2 Linux kernel 2.0.36

"Penguins are generally nice creatures"

------------------------------

From: Andy Piper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: kerneld not needed in 2.2?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:31:34 +0000

Chris Wilson wrote:

> The question is whether you want to maintain backwards compatibility
> with 2.0. If you can forgo modules under 2.0 then deleting all
> references to kerneld is okay. Also you may want to add a "rmmod -a" in
> crontab to remove autoclean modules.

Well, I do have a couple of old 2.0.x kernels hanging around in
case of problems, so probably best in my case to hold on to
kerneld for the moment, then...

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Andy

--
Andy Piper                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fareham, Hampshire

------------------------------

From: Andy Piper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: FS support - kernel 2.2.1
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:32:43 +0000

David Roberts wrote:

> I can certainly confirm that I can't read any of the ADFS format disks
> available to me on PC running a 2.2.1 kernel with ADFS support
> included - mount grumbles about 'can't read superblock' or
> something similar.

So it's not just me then :-/ thanks!

Andy

--
Andy Piper                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fareham, Hampshire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Abe Lin)
Subject: Re: Upped wuftpd. ftpshut. Never came back on....
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 13:31:31 GMT

Found solution. :)
rm /etc/shutmsg

------------------------------

From: Raghavendra B K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Text to bitmap convertor...
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:37:00 +0530

Hello,

I recently learnt that there is a tool in Linux which converts text data
into bitmap format. This may be achieved using LaTex. Could you please
let me know whether such a tool/utility really exists?

My requirement is as follows:
If I give the input as \alpha, then the output should be a bitmap file
containing the symbol alpha. The list includes all types of symbols and
some complex mathematical formula containing symbols (in a bitmap).

Any tool out there that closely matches this requirement may be informed
to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
Raghavendra.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:48:35 +0100
From: Ralf Draeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If I had the time I know how to make a fortune in unix

Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:

> D. Vrabel wrote:
>
> >> [*] I'm referring to an American "billion" here.  That's
> >>     a "milliard" to you out there 'cross the pond who
> >>     prefer to think of a "billion" as a "million million".
> >You're a bit out of date.  A billion in the UK is a thousand million.
>
> Then you've adopted the US meaning, because it certainly was originally a
> million million in UK parlance.
>
>                      MK.

Just to give ken a credit a billion is a million million in germany and
yes, sometimes it is a little bit confusing :-)
Having the same words with different meanings in other languages makes
it even harder to learn and i know I have to learn english sometime ...
--
Ralf Draeger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- Intraplan Consult Gmbh  Orleansplatz 5a  81667 Muenchen  +49 89 45911-0 -

> What is the most widely available Unix utility to randomize lines
> in a file?
vi. Just ask a novice to edit the file for you. (Cal Dunigan in c.u.s)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jean-Yves Simon)
Subject: Re: [question] dcc for linux
Date: 12 Mar 1999 13:35:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, D. Vrabel
wrote:
: On 12 Mar 1999, Jean-Yves Simon wrote:

: > Hi,
: > in windows 95, one can have a "poor man network" by connecting
: > 2 computers using parallel port with a little utility called
: > dcc.
: >
: > Is there such a thing in Linux ?
: Can't you use plip or somesuch thing?

Thanks for your answer, yes I could use plip, but having
never delt with network in Linux so far, could you give
me more information ? Do I have to assign ip numbers to
my 2 machines.

I am running slackware if that counts.

Thanks again.

: David

--
 Jean-Yves SIMON     E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Krebs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Problems with maple after upgrade
Date: 12 Mar 1999 07:42:02 -0600

Have you installed the libc5 update from redhat?  You might try
installing it and any other updates from updates.redhat.com.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Packer)
Subject: Re: Unwanted "failure" message at boot time
Date: 12 Mar 1999 13:38:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, **Nick Brown wrote:
>But it could also be a simple question of configuring your network,
>which RedHat may provide its own method for.

Yes, I was hoping that there is some little file I can put
in /etc or someplace like that will satisfy its need to find
something in that lookup. Incidentally, I noticed that while
it says "Host name lookup failure" when I boot, subsequently
when I'm on-line and open a new xterm or rxvt window, I see
the modem lights twiddle, and the message that appears in
the new window is "Unknown host".

http://www.clark.net/pub/whatnews/whatnews.html

------------------------------

From: ".exe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why is my microphone disabled in Red Hat Linux?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 21:36:31 +0800

Hello there,
I've a problem regarding my microphone. When I open
xmixer, I see that the microphone is disabled. The
button to enable the microphone doesn't work (i.e.
it can't be enabled). What is wrong here? Please
help. Thanxx!!

F.Y.I.
Architecture: i386
Operating system: Red Hat Linux 5.2