From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No-Win Modem Situation
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:15:53 GMT

  James Goldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sat, 27 Mar 1999 15:10:00 -0700, wrote :

JG> Matthias Warkus wrote:
JG> <snip>
JG> > No. Basically, Winmodems rely on some "real-time" features of Windows
JG> > 9x... that is, the ability of a client program to futz with interrupts
JG> > and such directly.
JG> >
JG> > mawa
JG>
JG> And under Linux, this is quite rightly not allowed, am I right? In that
JG> case we really could be in trouble.

Not really.  All *external* modems are (and always will be) Linux
friendly.  External, RS232 interface modems will continue to exist so
long as there are ISP offering dial-ip connections.  "WinModems" are not
useful for *any* flavor of ISP server -- not even NT Server based ISPs.
All of these ISP are using external modems and either some flavor of
multi-port serial boards (eg Boca 4, 8, 16, or 32 port boards) or are
using terminal server boxes (many of which are quite happy to handle PPP
connections mostly by themselves).

Also, Win2K is said to WinNT 5.0.  WinModems don't work well with WinNT
any better than Linux -- WinNT has a (more or less) real live protected
kernel will many of the same hardware access protections of Linux --
that is, a WinNT program cannot randomly go after interrupts and such
directly any better than under Linux.  *This is why many video game
programs don't work under NT.*  So unless Microsoft does something
totally stupid, WinModems are likely to die out in 2003 when Win2K hits
the desktop world.

However, it is likely that eventually RS232 modems for use with analog
voice telephone lines may eventually fade out in favor of cable modems
and/or some TAU-like device for digital telephone systems.  Cable modems
generally speak 10BaseT EtherNet -- Linux friendly EtherNet cards are
common and a TAU-like device for digital telephone systems would be
digital and would not have any reason to play anything like the games a
WinModem would play, since they are not even 'modems' -- they would
likely look something like an ISDN card or would be an external RS232
gadget.

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: URGENT! Linux will NOT install!
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:19:58 GMT

  "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:25:32 GMT, wrote :

"S> Dear friends:
"S>
"S> Finally got my Red Hat Linux 5.2 yesterday Friday form Cosmos Engineering.
"S> Unfortunately, they are usually closed today and Sunday.
"S>
"S> A friend of mine, who is a computer expert (but NOT a Linux expert) has
"S> tried for the past two hours to install Linux following the strict
"S> instructions in the Linux on a Disk User's Guide. We called Cosmos twice
"S> and, though they were officially closed, their manager tried to help us but
"S> to no avail. We managed to install the floppy boot disk and the CD but when
"S> removing the floppy and CD, we could not get it to load Lilo on the 4.3 gig
"S> separate Linux Disk. We kept getting a LI message. It never got beyond that
"S> "LI" message no matter what we did with the CMOS.

I am assuming that the install itself went fine and you are getting the
'LI' when the system tries to reboot from the hard drive.

This happens for two reasons:

        1) Certain disks/controllers need the 'linear' parameter.
        2) You disk has more than 1024 cylinders and your BIOS does not
or cannot do LBA translation.

#2 is most likely.

How is your disk partitioned?  Is this going to be a dual boot system?

If it is *not* a dual boot system, you should use Linux's fdisk -- select
'Custom' install -- to create partitions like this:

        /dev/hda1       64meg   Type 83         mounted at /
        /dev/hda2       64meg   Type 82         <swap>
        /dev/hda3       1024meg Type 83         mounted at /usr
        /dev/hda4       therest Type 83         mounted at /home

And then proceed with the install.  *Be sure to make a boot floppy.* If
*everything* went well you won't need it unless the disk farms, in which
case it is good to have.

If things are still stopping at 'LI', boot with the boot floppy you
created, and edit /etc/lilo.conf, adding linear as a global parameter
(before the 'image=' lines) and re-run lilo and then try re-booting.

>From the User Guide for LILO:

LI The first stage boot loader was able to load the second stage
   boot loader, but failed to execute it. This can either be caused by
   a geometry mismatch or by moving /boot/boot.b without running the map
   installer.

What all this means is that LI was unhappy with the disk geometry --
i.e. the number of cylinders/heads/sectors was not what it thought they
were.  Mostly this is cured by either simplifying things by making sure
lilo does not have to deal with a big disk (small root partition early
in the partition table) or with the linear option or both.

"S>
"S> If anyone would be so kind as to help us, I will be more than happy to
"S> reverse all telephone charges (within the United States only). Just write
"S> to me at my email address and I'll give you my private telephone line. You
"S> can then call me and I'll call you right back or you can send me your
"S> number by email and I'll call you at my expense.
"S>
"S> Some of you may have seen my many postings to the Linux lists. I am very
"S> excited about installing and configuring and using Linux, so you can
"S> imagine how depressed I am about all this.
"S>
"S> By the way, I have two phone lines, so that should makes things much
"S> easier.
"S>
"S> My system is: NEC Pentium 166, 64 RAM meg, ATI video card, SoundBlaster PnP
"S> compatible sound card, MultiSync E500 monitor.
"S>
"S> Thank you so very much.
"S>
"S> Benjamin
"S>
"S> Benjamin Sher
"S> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"S> Sher's Russian Lit
"S> http://www.websher.net
"S>
"S>
"S>

                                     \/

From: Jim Kingdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Large (1MB) writes
Date: 27 Mar 1999 20:26:45 -0500

> I'm not a techie, but I would think that
>
> # dd if=/dev/st0 of=somethingorother bs=1M
>
> would read (and correspondingly write) 1 meg chunks/blocks to the
> tape drive.

I don't know about Linux in particular but on most unices, no there is
a limit to how big you can make the blocks and it is imposed by the
tape drive's hardware.  The whole point of using dd rather than
something higher-level is that the above command will either write 1M
blocks or fail; it won't break up the 1M into smaller chunks.

Based on the way this question was asked, it sounds like the hardware
in question, and Solaris, can do 1M blocks but Linux can't.  I can't
confirm this, nor do I know whether there are Linux patches to do
something about it, but it strikes me as believable.

------------------------------

From: Nick Warrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sounds in Englightenment
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 00:20:17 +0000

I am using Enlightenment wm. To test the dsp on my soundcard, I can cat
a file to /dev/dsp. However when trying that from Enlightenment the
device is perpetually busy!!

Does anyone know why, and how I can free up the device. My ultimate aim
is to get gqmpeg running.

Cheers

Nick

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Sher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: URGENT -- Linux -- footnote
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:27:49 GMT

Dear friends:

I should mention that my NEC is a Ready 9712, model: MT 2420-24874C,
Pentium 166.
--
Benjamin Sher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:25:56 +0000

I've gotten the go-ahead from my better half (read: my wife) to spend
around 2K on a new system. I'd like to hear _specific_ success and/or
horror stories on systems and peripherals that have worked and not
worked with Linux. My prequisites:

400mhz CPU
96mb RAM
8mb video card
19" monitor
sound card, speakers
4GB hard drive
CD-ROM

Bonuses:
DVD
Color printer
Tape backup
Dual CPUs

Notes:
I don't play video games, so 3D video doesn't mean anything to me.
I'm open to build-my-own or buying from Micron, Gateway, Dell, etc.

Best regards,
Ed

     Q: Why do PCs have a reset button on the front?
     A: Because they are expected to run Microsoft operating systems.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Where can I download Linux as one compressed file?
Date: 28 Mar 1999 07:53:26 GMT

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999 22:43:36 GMT Danny Johnson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You get billed by the phone company or by your ISP?  If by the Telco (or
>govt), how was that enacted?  There has been talk of doing that here in the
>US, and I'd like to know what rhetoric they used.

I've been billed by the minute for my phone calls for years, Danny.
Here in New York.

It's a much lower *rate* than in Ireland, but it's definitely by the
minute.

You might check on comp.dcom.telecom if you want far more information
than you can find time to read.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This fool wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy."

------------------------------

From: Dennis Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux
Subject: can't be excuted by typing its name
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:47:31 GMT

Please help....

    I just set up a linux server, and when I try to excute a C excutable
file, said, "a.out", by just typing
a.out at prompt, it failed with a statment like "bash: a.out: commad not
found".  But when I type
"./a.out", the file is excuted successfully.
    Can someone tell me how to fix that so I can excute that a.out by
just typing a.out

Thanks a million

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 1100
Date: 28 Mar 1999 01:46:54 GMT

> I'd like to ask two questions about usage of HP LaserJet 1100 printer
> under Linux.  I've bought it yesterday. I have no windows on my PC - it
> is linux only. The printer works ok, it prints both plain text and
> postscript (via gs 5.50), and KDE kljettool seems to work ok.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Which of several available ghostscript ljet drivers is the best for
> LaserJet 1100?

I have a HP 1100A, which I have been using the HP 4/5/6 PostScript selection
with great results.

> 2. I've created some postscripts files from ascii files by a2ps program,
> in the mode -2, where 2 virtual pages are printed on one physical page.
> When I view those postscripts via gv (Landscape, A4), everything is ok -
> 2 page rectangles are "centered", that is - left and right margins are
> the same size, top and bottom margins are the same size. But when I try
> to print same postscripts, the result is not centered on the A4 paper -
> top margin is much smaller than bottom, and on the right some text even
> gets out of the paper.
> What may be the reason of such behaviour ?
>
> Thanks for an advice. Please, reply via e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can't add much here as I haven't "enjoyed" this problem, running
Linux 2.2.4 off RedHat 5.2 & SuSE 6.0 distribution.

Cheers, Grahame
Anti-Spamming Enabled in FQDN.
Email: gmkelly (at) zip (dot) com (dot) au
Sydney Linux User Group - Member
http://www.slug.org.au

From: alessandro <"alpalmas$"@tin.it>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.windows.x.kde,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kppp e tin
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:17:03 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anyone know how to connect to TIN (italian provider that use PAP
> autentication)
> with Linux SUSE 6.0 and kppp program?
> any help will be hightily appreciated.
>
> Thank's Emanuele

Excuse me, switching context...

<ITALIAN>

in questo momento sono connesso a tin con
kppp, ma uso slack.
se invochi kppp (da un xterm o da menù kde)
e poi clicchi su configura del pop-up, non dovresti
avere problemi...

Forse non ho ben capito il problema?
Scrivimi, CIAO!

</ITALIAN>

to no italian speakers:
1) beg your pardon
2) summary: I asked him to email me directly
--
   ------Slackware 3.5 kernel 2.0i.34-------
please, excuse my antispam: alpalmas, NOT alpalmas$

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Martin)
Subject: Re: good linux books?
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 01:54:50 GMT

In article <tZeL2.213$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, it says "wilson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What ever you do DON'T buy the book called: Running Linux,
>by O'Reilly & Associates, it is a pure shallow copy of stuff
>grabbed from the Internet !!!

Wilson, the guy who wrote that book is also the guy who PUT most of that
stuff on the Internet.

>Want mamoney Back !!

You also want help with ppp, I see in another thread.  Well, guess what?
After reading this post, I don't want to help you.   Too bad.

------------------------------

From: Jim McCusker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Database library for C++ Linux (gcc)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 20:51:59 -0500

Try looking for the package called xbase in freshmeat.net. I think that
this is what you are looking for.

Jim
--
    Jim McCusker | Class of '99, BA Computer Science & Cognitive Science
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://cif.rochester.edu/~fprefect

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: WinTV BT878 and ATI Mach 64 video - can it be done?
Date: 28 Mar 1999 01:50:30 GMT

On 27 Mar 1999 00:42:29 GMT,
Brad Corsello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm trying to use my new Hauppage WinTV card (with a BT878 chip) on my
>ATI Mach 64 system (with bttv, natch).  Has anyone gotten this to work?  If
>so, please let me know how you did it.  I can get sound, and the tuner seems
>to tune, but I get no picture at all.  Just a black square.

Sign on to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] (majordomo hosted).

What TV viewer are you using?  Did you turn on capture?  Does grabvideo
work?  Does your X server have DGA enabled?  Did you run v4l-conf as
root?  What did it say?  Please post your responses to the above
mentioned list.

Also, I've redirected followups to the hardware newsgroup, where
this may be more appropriate.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is a FULL install to /hdd possible anymore?
Date: 28 Mar 1999 02:04:56 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Is it possible to do a *complete* Linux installation to /hdd, the 4th
>IDE hard drive, (the slave drive on the secondary IDE channel)?
>From the Red Hat 5.2 manual:
>2.7.4.1 BIOS-Related Limitations Impacting LILO
>"LILO is subject to some limitations imposed by the BIOS in most
>Intel-based computers. Specifically, most BIOSes can't access more
>than two hard drives" <snip>
>
>This is simply NOT correct. Maybe *some* can't, but the vast majority
>of BIOSes (in use today) can see FOUR IDE drives. Is Slackware
>shackled by this constraint now also?

The quote from Red Hat is correct but it only applies to booting,
when the BIOS is in control. That's why you should put LILO somewhere
like the MBR of your first disk. Once the system is up, of course,
it can get to lots of drives.

>From my experience with the Red Hat install script (RH5.0) there is
>absolutely NO way of installing Linux to /hdd. It is not an option!
>Red Hat and it's variants won't allow me to do this. Will Slackware
>(still) allow this?

Yes I think so, but you will have to try it to be sure.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ÎÒ¾ÍÊÇÕâÑùÍæŪÈÕ±¾Ð¡Ñ§Å®ÉúµÄ
Date: Saturday, 27 Mar 1999 20:25:29 -0600

http://sexprof.findhere.com
http://visitweb.com/sexprof

mailto:

ÐÔ¾­Ñé¼¼ÇÉ£¬ ¸÷ÖÖÃâ·ÑÐÅÏ¢£¬163&169 ProxyµÈµÈ£¬ºÃ¶«Î÷¶à¶à!

3. ä¯ÀÀ»Æ½ÌÊÚÐÔ°®ÓʼþÁбíµÄ¾«Æ·ÎÄÕ¼°Í¼Æ¬

http://www.eGroups.com/list/sexprof/

Òà¿ÉÔڴ˶©ÔÄÐÔ°®Áбí

http://sexprof.findhere.com