Linux-Misc Digest #670, Volume #19               Wed, 31 Mar 99 11:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (NF Stevens)
  Re: Newbie FTP Problem (Keith Keller)
  Re: Default Editor (crontab -e) (Gay Teen)
  Re: Newbie..Hard Drive Question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: cpio+linux+hpux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: libstdc++.so.2.8 needed !! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: lost xterm and login ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Kernel 2.2.5 or 2.2.4? (RH 5.2) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: gnome won't start ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Newbie..Hard Drive Question (Daniel Cave)
  Re: FTP through Netscape ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RPM Errors on installing GNOME. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Q: S.u.S.E. 6.0 ("Rolf Inge Stangeland Salte")
  fetchmail + attachments ? (LETOT Rémi)
  Re: Unable to mount hpfs (Daniel Cave)
  RedHat Script (Marcelo Mercio Dandrea)
  Re: I killed my Linux box ("Fertimport Porto Alegre")
  Re: Linux and Netscape 4.51 (tar/gz format) ("Peter DeSimone")
  MBR,Lilo,Red Hat 5.2,Installation (Jas Sandhu)
  Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT,Redhat 5.2, X Installation (Jas Sandhu)
  Re: Linux on a non-state-of-the-art PC ? (Jon Haugsand)
  Re: gtk+ 1.2.1 install problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: fetchmail + attachments ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment.... (Jeff Holloway)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:52:18 GMT

Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> The optimum trade-off point between intuitiveness
>> and power is, however, a matter of preference.e
>
>There isn't a trade-off between usability and power. Some really
>great examples of software usability - IBM's VisualAge for Java
>comes to mind - are also the most powerful. By contrast, some of
>the least usable software - vi comes to mind - is also the least
>powerful.

I haven't used Visual Age so I won't comment on it. But vi is
actually a good example of the trade off I mentioned. Vi is not
intuitive and is not meant to be. However it is a very powerful
editor; an experienced vi user will achieve much more in a shorter
time than someone fiddling around with the "intuitive" arrow
keys.

>Also, I think a metaphore should be used when it's illustrative
>of a point. Not knowing a language is like not knowing how to use
>software. Perhaps a better example is coding in binary and using
>an IDE?e

All the above paragraph seems to be illustrative of is the
strawman argument.

Norman

------------------------------

From: Keith Keller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Newbie FTP Problem
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:15:02 -0800

Stressed wrote:

> I have the typical Linux machine using IP masQ to connect my Windoze LAN to
> the net via cable modem. By typical I mean I used the typical addressing
> scheme (192.168.1.x) for the LAN and I use DHCP to get settings for my
> gateway interface.
>
> I have RHL 5.2 and it runs wu FTP (wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-18-VR13]).
>
> Whenever I try to connect to a remote (Internet) FTP site from a Windoze
> machine, (going through the Linux masQ machine), I get the connection, but I
> get the following error and I'm unable to see, send or recieve data:
>
> 230 User mojo7 logged in.
> PWD
> 257 "/home/@c/h/c/mojo7" is current directory.
> SYST
> 215 UNIX Type: L8
> Host type (2): UNIX (standard)
> PORT 192,168,1,2,4,47
> 500 Illegal PORT Command
> ! port cmd failed.
> ! DoDirList failed 0
>
> Is this due to my masQing or to my FTP setup or both or what?

Yes.  :-)  You need to also use the ip_masq_ftp
option in the kernel to allow machines behind the
masquerade ''gateway'' to FTP to the other side
of the masquerade properly. I load it as a module
in my startup files, though I suppose you could
also compile the option directly into the kernel.

-- Keith

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gay Teen)
Subject: Re: Default Editor (crontab -e)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:47:34 GMT

Thanks. That's done trick!

Ollie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Newbie..Hard Drive Question
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:42:55 GMT

Dear Joan,
I'm trying hard to understand why you would want a help desk job right now,
especially when LINUX is GPL. Just look at the posts and answers to them and
maybe you can get an idea or two....

As for your original question, I take from 'proprietary PC' that you mean
IDE. If it can be done in DOS to hardware, it can be done in just about any
other OS that can run on a PC. To wit, you can partition a hard drive to boot
more than one operating system. Mocrosoft does this with their own "Operating
Systems" like WindowsNT, Windows98, Windows95, and the like with the options
of booting the "old DOS", or using thrid party software such as System
Commander. NT Bootloader allows multiple OS's on a single drive when
partitioned, much as LILO or System Commander does.

Surfing the net: in a word, yes. Depending on what distribution of LINUX you
use, it may come on the installation media. You may also download the most
current version of Netscape for LINUX from their website.

Sorry to hear about your 'challenge', and I hope this helps you on your way to
your goal, what ever that may be. Good luck in your endeavours.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: cpio+linux+hpux
Date: 31 Mar 1999 15:42:57 +0800

You are also reminded to check that whether the tape is hardware compressed.
If so, you have to set you tape drive hardware compression on. But I don't
know how to do it in Linux, in other SVR4 machines, I use:

         tsioctl -c compress /dev/rmt/c1d0n

something like that. You may also check for the jumpers in the tape drive
to turn to hardware compress on by default. Hope this help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: libstdc++.so.2.8 needed !!
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:26:25 GMT

Len Cuff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade xosview to work with the 2.2.3 kernel. I have the
> rpm but I need this library file to install it. Does anyone know where I

libcstdc++-2.8 comes with the main redhat-5.2 dist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: lost xterm and login
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:30:56 GMT

Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [root@portia /root]# xterm: error in loading shared libraries
> /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libXt.so.6: undefined symbol: _Xsetlocale

What does ldd on xterm give you ? Here:

# ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
        libXaw.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6 (0x40003000)
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x4003b000)
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x4004f000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x40097000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x400a0000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x400b5000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x400c1000)
        libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2 (0x40164000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40168000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x2aaaa000)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.5 or 2.2.4? (RH 5.2)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:32:54 GMT

Seyed Razavi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After spending hours trying to compile 2.2.5 on my RedHat 5.2 system I
> wondered if there were any known problems with this version and should I

No obvious ones.
How about exact error messages ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: gnome won't start
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:35:19 GMT

Mark Leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Recently I removed my old version of GTK+ and installed a new version,
> Now Gnome will not start. Here is the error message:
> libgtk-1.1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
> I assume that it can't find my new GTK+. What can I do?

1) Re-install an old gtk+
or
2) Get a version of gnome that was built against gtk-1.2
or
3) Build gnome yourself
and
use a packaging system that warns you about breaking dependancies so this
doesn't happen in the future

------------------------------

From: Daniel Cave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.help
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:41:32 +0000

Joan

> I have just installed a 6gb om AST Advantage 622 which I purchased in 1996.
> I was told because it is a proprietory PC, the hard disk can't be partioned

I'd try using fdisk within linux's setup/install

# fdisk /dev/hda for ide disk

> .
> Can I run W98 and Linux on my system? Can I also surf the NET and what
> browser will I need?

Yes, by partitioning your disk using fdisk, you can create 3 partitions

/dev/hda1            FAT partition
/dev/hda2            Linux Native        (used for /boot partition about 5 Mb )

/dev/hda3            Linux swap            swap file 3/4 x system memory
/dev/hda4            Linux Native        Rest of disk for /

> By the way, I have recently become handicapped and I am
> wondering if there are jobs out there for people with Linux knowledge, like
> a help desk tech.

I would guess so.. but I dont know of any..

Daniel

                        Daniel Cave
        Unix Systems Administrator & Netcool Omnibus Admin
                      Cable Internet,
                    Genesis Business Park
                       Albert Drive
                          Woking
                          Surrey
                        Great Britian
                        KT21  5RW
                  Tel: +44 1483 295 191
                  Fax: +44 1483 295 810

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FTP through Netscape
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:38:28 GMT

Julian Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Every time I execute Netscape and I try do download something that is on a
> ftp server, I get the message "For security reasons, this protocol has been
> disabled".

Are you behind some kind of proxy, or firewall by any chance ?

> I can ftp from a terminal with no problems, and I get that message even if i
> login as root.

ftp from the command line isn't quite the same as ftp://

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.rpm,redhat.rpm.general
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RPM Errors on installing GNOME.
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:43:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>     D: Header + Archive: 98136
>     D: Expected size: 569988
>     error: enlightenment-0.15.3-5.i386.rpm
> Q1. Should the above two numbers match?
yes
> Q2. If so, why do they not match?
your rpm is broken
> Q3. What should be my next course of action?
get it again

------------------------------

From: "Rolf Inge Stangeland Salte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: S.u.S.E. 6.0
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:01:00 +0200

Any good?
Is it a good Linux too start from scratch with?
Please forward mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Mvh.
Rolf Inge Stangeland Salte

------------------------------

From: LETOT Rémi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fetchmail + attachments ?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 16:29:47 +0200

Hello all,

I try to configure fetchmail at home so that it retrieves mail for
several users on my machine. The server is pop3, and I'm able to
retrieve the mail, but the attachments are not decoded : they are
included as text in the body of the message.
What happens, and more important, what should I do ?

Thanks a lot, and keep linux running,

- Rémi -

------------------------------

From: Daniel Cave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to mount hpfs
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:37:37 +0000

Himanshu

> I am trying to mount an NT partition (os/2 hpfs) from linux-2.0.36 with
> hpfs kernel support built in.
> When I type
> mount -t hpfs /dev/hda1 /hpfs
> it complains
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
>               or too many mounted file systems
>
> Is there a way I can mount my NT file system?
> Thanks. Please send a cc to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

yeah,

firstly do a df -k .. see if its not already mounted..

fdisk on /dev/hda and do a p to print the partition table and types to see
what fdisk thinks what format/fstype the disk is.
(you might need to do a 'h' option)

It would appear from the docs in
/usr/src/linux-2.0.35/Documentation/filesystems/hpfs.txt that it will only
read OS/2 partitions.

Linux can read, but not write, OS/2 HPFS partitions. ** Doesnt mention NT
**

Mount options are the same as for msdos partitions.

  uid=nnn       All files in the partition will be owned by user id nnn.
  gid=nnn       All files in the partition will be in group nnn.
  umask=nnn     The permission mask (see umask(1)) for the partition.
  conv=binary   Data is returned exactly as is, with CRLF's.  [default]
  conv=text     (Carriage return, line feed) is replaced with newline.
  conv=auto     Chooses, file by file, conv=binary or conv=text (by
guessing)

There are mount options unique to HPFS.

  case=lower    Convert file names to lower case.  [default]
  case=asis     Return file names as is, in mixed case.

  nocheck       Proceed even if "Improperly stopped flag is set"

Case is not significant in filename matching, like real HPFS.

Command line example
    mkdir -p /os2/c
    mount -t hpfs -o uid=100,gid=100 /dev/sda6 /os2/c

/etc/fstab example
    /dev/sdb5   /d/f    hpfs    ro,uid=402,gid=402,umask=002

Unless the docs in the 2.0.36 tree differs, Id say that you'd be better
off installing linux on a seperate machine and using smbmount on the linux
box to mount the shared disk on the NT box via tcpip.

This isn't necessarily the case, as Ive not had experience with mounting
NT/OS/2 disks/partitions, but one thing that springs to mind is to cat
/proc/filesystems for the inclusion of the hpfs entry

        ext2
        minix
        msdos
nodev   proc
nodev   nfs
        iso9660
        hpfs

^^^^^^^^ -like that..

or do an lsmod if it got loaded as a module.  Try modprobing for that
filesystems driver or looking for HPFS in your .config file in
/usr/src/linux/
Thats where I'd start.

Regards,

From: Marcelo Mercio Dandrea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RedHat Script
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:41:56 -0300

        Its possible to define an installation script for RedHat's install
program, so the packages to be installed can be pre-defined ?

                                Thanks,

                                        Marcelo

------------------------------

From: "Fertimport Porto Alegre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: I killed my Linux box
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:39:19 -0300

Jef Verdonck wrote:
>The solution is to boot from an independant boot disk (ie not your
>redhat boot disk, but the rescue disk set would do fine I believe)
mount
>your partititions and restore whatever is wrong with your libs and/or
>with your dynamic loader.

Folks,

solved the problem here.

Downloaded the rescue disk available on
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/recovery/tomsrtbt-1???.dos.zip
to create a boot disk fm DOS. (There is a tar.gz file for those who
want to create it fm linux.

Booted fm it, checked the hd partitions, restored the renamed
ld-linux.so.2 and rebooted the equipment.

Back to live! :-)

The steps are very easy! Do it!

Good luck.
Ivan Daudt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Peter DeSimone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,apana.lists.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux and Netscape 4.51 (tar/gz format)
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:49:57 -0600

=======_NextPart_000_0010_01BE7B4B.12B70320

Thanks for help.  I finally got it installed.

Peter
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
  Peter DeSimone wrote:

  > Has anyone installed this version?  What I am supposed to do after I
  > untar/ungz it?  What directory should I put it ? Any specific =
commands
  > I should use? Thanks... Peter
  > --
  > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Peter DeSimone
  > Email Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  > Web Address:
  > Http://www.bigfoot.com/~desimonp =

  I have new 451 version running.
  ns-instal should work. Please make sure you download glibc version
  it is in the unsupported subdirectory. I believe "supported" libc5 =
won't
  work with
  redHat 5.2.

  If anyone create RPM from this please let know !

=======_NextPart_000_0010_01BE7B4B.12B70320

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks for help.&nbsp; I finally got it=20
installed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Peter</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>&lt;<A =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&gt; wrote=20
  in message <A=20
  =
href=3D"news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:36FEA75A.2078A641@netsc=
ape.net</A>...</DIV>Peter=20
  DeSimone wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; Has anyone installed this version?&nbsp; =
What I am=20
  supposed to do after I<BR>&gt; untar/ungz it?&nbsp; What directory =
should I=20
  put it ? Any specific commands<BR>&gt; I should use? Thanks... =
Peter<BR>&gt;=20
  --<BR>&gt; ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Peter=20
  DeSimone<BR>&gt; Email Address: <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A><BR>&gt; Web=20
  Address:<BR>&gt; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.bigfoot.com/~desimonp">Http://www.bigfoot.com/~desimon=
p</A>=20
  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<BR><BR>I have new 451 =
version=20
  running.<BR>ns-instal should work. Please make sure you download glibc =

  version<BR>it is in the unsupported subdirectory. I believe =
"supported" libc5=20
  won't<BR>work with<BR>redHat 5.2.<BR><BR>If anyone create RPM from =
this please=20
  let know !<BR><BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: Jas Sandhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: MBR,Lilo,Red Hat 5.2,Installation
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:18:28 -0500

Hi

what exactly is the MBR (Mater Boot Record)?

I am trying to install Redhat 5.2.
When Lilo is installed and asks where to install
the bootloader the 2 options are:
 1. MBR
 2. 1st sector of boot partition.

if you chose option 1 and have Win 98 already on the
machine, will this mess WIn 98 up in some way??

if you chose option 2 (as i chose) Lilo does not
start up and the PC boots straight to Win 98.
(i have to use the floppy linux boot disk and
reboot to bootup).

so should i chose option 1?

and since i chose option 2, how can i make the
1st sector of the linux boot partition the active
partition.
i've read that running fdisk \mbr will clear the mbr
and then the mbr can be set to the 1st sector of the
linux root partition, but can somebody explain how?

can you please email me as well as the list.
thanks
jas

------------------------------

From: Jas Sandhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT,Redhat 5.2, X Installation
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:21:00 -0500

Hi
I am trying to install Redhat 5.2.
I have a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT
16Mb SDRAM AGP Card.
This card is not supported in the X windows
setup (using Xconfigurator).
I tried a couple of the other options (the memory
only goes upto 8MB max for most of these), but all i get is errors
when i try startx and back to the prompt
Is there a driver for this card in Redhat 5.2.
Does anybody have a solution for this, or am
I missing something in the setup.

From: Jon Haugsand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux on a non-state-of-the-art PC ?
Date: 31 Mar 1999 17:44:36 +0200

* T. Ojala
> On one hand, I found a web site (starting from www.linux.org, under
> something like "Why Linux is better...") stating that Linux is well
> capable of running Netscape on a 486, 8 MB platform. On the other, a
> colleague said that Pentium 133 or better with 64 MB is good (after
> having had some problems with Pentium 233/32).
>
> So, simply: is there somebody out there who is using Linux + Netscape
> on a platform similar to the first one mentioned? Did you spend months
> to get it running? Is it really running smoothly (ie can you really
> surf the net with it)?

I ran Netscape v. 3 guite good on my 386 with 8MB RAM. You should do
well enough with your configuration, but there are two problems:

1. Netscape eats memory. This may be configured in Netscape, but the
   problem is not Linux's but Netscape's

2. Netscape has a very bad implementation on their Unix platforms. So
never compare Netscape on Linux with on M$ Win.

I would in any case recommend the version 3 of Netscape unless you
actually need Java and other stuff.

--
Jon Haugsand
  Norwegian Computing Center, <http://www.nr.no/engelsk/>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: gtk+ 1.2.1 install problem
Date: 31 Mar 1999 15:34:42 GMT

In his obvious haste, bio13 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Hi, all:

: I am trying to setup the gtk+ 1.2.1 on my redhat 5.2 system.  I met
: problem I could not solve so far.  Wish you give me some suggestion.

: If I use source files, I can compile the glib with no problem.  But
: it will stop at compiling gtk+ .  It said it could find the glib
: which is required for setup.    I must have not make good connection
: for the new library.  The trouble is I do not know how to do it, cause
: I am a newbie.

I think there's a small problem in the configuration program.
After you've run the configure script, go down one directory to glib/ and
edit the Makefile.

For some reason, the configuration creates all Makefiles (required for
compilation) correctly, apart from the glib one.

the only thing you need to change is prefix.
It points to /usr/local/lib by default, but if you followed the
instructions, you are able to change this so that configure creates the
Makefiles with the correct prefix. glib/Makefile gets left out, and you
need to change the prefix in Makefile so that it matches all the other
Makefiles....

|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: fetchmail + attachments ?
Date: 31 Mar 1999 15:38:07 GMT

In his obvious haste, LETOT Rémi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled thusly:
: Hello all,

: I try to configure fetchmail at home so that it retrieves mail for
: several users on my machine. The server is pop3, and I'm able to
: retrieve the mail, but the attachments are not decoded : they are
: included as text in the body of the message.
: What happens, and more important, what should I do ?

Decoding attachments is not the responsibility of POP3 or fetchmail.
It's the responsibility of the individual e-mail program (the user has the
option NOT to decode).

Elm, for example, calls Metamail to decode Mime encoded attachments.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|    Andrew Halliwell      | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
|     Finallist  in:-      |  suck is probably the day they start making     |
|    Computer science      |  vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge            |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: Jeff Holloway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Linux instead of NT Server in home environment....
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:45:01 -0800

Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Although this isn't the forum for tech support, you missed a step in your
> procedure.

> You installed the mpri386 after applying SP4.  This was a bad idea.  SP4 has
> fixes for these features and making changes to the networking components
> without reapplying the service pack will usually cause problems (including
> blue screens)

> My argument still stands - a PROPERLY configured NT box will not blue screen

Care to give me the ip address of YOUR NT server? :)

Jeff

--
Jeff Holloway        | He had that rare weird electricity about him --
Systems Administrator| that extremely wild and heavy presence that you
                     | "Fear and Loathing '72"
     Not a member of the Lumber Cartel (tinlc) and not Unit #1572