  Slow ethernet LAN driving me crazy!! ("Stavros C. Kassinos")

From: "The Dude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.conspiracy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.x,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Is Microsoft a nasty company ? I'm asking you this question.
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 20:50:08 GMT

Only takes me 5 mins. to install the Redhat Linux OS.

Klaus Schilling wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
:John Doe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:
:> BeOS is even easier to install that Linux or Windows. it took me 5
:> minutes to install it once PM3 finished making the BFS partition. I
:> installed it and have it almost ready for daily use.
:>
:No, it's by no means easier to install, as the installation of those
:proprietary stuff is downright inflexible. Linux can be bootstrap
installed.
:Klaus Schilling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 1100
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 20:53:53 GMT

I got the gs 5.5 sources and compiled them on Slackware and while it compiles
fine it will not send anything to a printer.  If I simply run it to view a ps
file in X like:

gs /somedir/somepsfile.ps

it works fine but if I try to print anything with it I get:

Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps.

It doesn't even matter if I'm in the install directory,
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/5.50, and doesn't matter what user I am,
inlcuding root.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Derric Tubbs

From: "Jeff Beard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.tcl
Subject: Re: Script Problems with CR/LF's
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:54:54 GMT

We've fought the ^M problem here too.  We found thatWin/NT 4.0 SP1
has a broken FTP!  text mode did NOT translate crlf to \n when putting
files
to a unix system :-(  Apparently, SP4 resovles the problem.

just remember that while ascii is ascii, various OS's define NEWLINE
differently.

by the way, the #!_absolute_shell_path has a very specific implementation
and it is implemented in the fork/exec stuff of unix.  This is NOT the
place to
worry about DOS crlf, so it doesn't

Jeff
======

John McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,rec.humor,ox.os.linux
Subject: Re: Microsoft Patents Open-Source
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:18:38 GMT

In article <7dvsfn$ldp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You silly april fool you...
>:)
>
>The whole idea of an april fool is to make them believable, and thus fool
>people with them...
>
>That one's not going to fool anyone...

Sometimes funny is enough.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Questions for the gurus:
Date: 01 Apr 1999 12:28:45 -0800

    Jason> I have RH5.2.  Some questions...  - I noticed when I had
    Jason> the other video board, I could move my mouse around the
    Jason> screen and the screen would scroll smoothly.  Now it is
    Jason> divided into four sections and I have to pull my mouse to
    Jason> the edge to "switch" to the other screens.  Irritating.  Is
    Jason> this a function of the card (ram?) or is it a setting?

You're confusing the size of your desktop with the virtual desktops.
You can have a desktop that is bigger than your screen area; and you
can have multiple desktops.  It sounds like what you've done is adjust
your settings in some way so that desktop area == screen area.  But,
you still have multiple desktops.

    Jason> - When cdrom is mounted, can I run the cron.daily on it so
    Jason> that a "locate" command will scan the cdrom also?

Why would you want to?

    Jason> - Clicking on the X frequently doesn't close something
    Jason> down.  I have to pick "kill" or "close" from the toolbar to
    Jason> end it.  Help?

For whatever reason, the process is not responding to a normal request
to exit.

    Jason> - Extra Credit: I read the "man sqrt" and aside from
    Jason> #include <math.h>, I can't understand how the syntax runs.
    Jason> Can anyone give a super-short example just to demonstrate
    Jason> the syntax?

It's very simple:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(void){
  double num = 3.0;
  printf("sqrt(num) is %.4f\n", sqrt(num));
  return 0;
}

The critical point, and what you're probably missing, is that you have
to specifically link in the math library with `-lm,' e.g.,

gcc -Wall -lm -o file file.c

mp

- --
Michael Powe                                          Portland, Oregon USA
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.trollope.org
  "Three hours a day will produce as much as a man ought to write."
                         -- Anthony Trollope

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: install/configure mail program
Date: 01 Apr 1999 12:39:34 -0800

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Campbell)
Subject: Installing Iomega ZIP parallel drive
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:23:10 GMT

I have installed an Iomega ZIP 100 parallel drive and it works under DOS. I
have read the HOWTO but there seem to be some differences relative to the
latest kernel (2.2.5), which I'm using.

I've compiled in SCSI support, SCSI Disk support, and IOMEGA parallel
support (which I think is unnecessary). None of these are modules and I
don't want to use modules if I can avoid it.

On boot, I get the following messages:

===============cut=================

apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x02 (Driver version 1.9)
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfe60-0xfe67, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfe68-0xfe6f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: TOSHIBA MK4310MAT, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CD-224E, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: TOSHIBA MK4310MAT, 4126MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=526/255/63, UDMA
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.54
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is an 8272A
imm: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.0.0)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

===========================cut======================================

I don't seem to be able to get any further. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Anthony

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.1
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Strauss)
Subject: java on linux
Date: 31 Mar 1999 16:29:03 GMT

Can anyone recommend a usenet group (possibly, even this one) where
questions about installing a java JDK on a linux system (running on
a wintel platform) could be answered?  I particularly need advise
about which of the available JDK's (1.1.7? 1.2?) to install.  Thanks
in advance.
/c.m. strauss

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Proposal: "Linux 2000 Platform"
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Curry)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:33:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kendall Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi All,
>Linux 2000 Workstation
>----------------------
>
>Base components:
> . Standard locations for all configuration files!
> . Glibc based
> . RPM for package manager

best April Fool's joke yet

> . GNU make, C/C++ compiler and development libraries

C++ compiler is pointless on most machines. And why specify GNU make when you
can just say "POSIX-compliant make"?

Anyway, what's the point of specifying any development tools in a standard
that's apparently aimed at companies who will be distributing precompiled
binaries?

> . XFree86 installed to /usr/X11R6/lib (or /usr/X11)

X is a required component? What about video cards which don't work under
XF86, except in 640x480x16 mode? What do you suggest should be done during
the installation of a Linux 2000 distribution if the person doing the install
explicitly asks _not_ to have X installed? Later, he will not be able to run
some third-party Linux 2000 programs even though his distribution was
supposedly compatible.

And if you're going to require X, you might as well include a list of
required widget libraries. Xaw, Lesstif, Gtk+, Tk? "Disk is cheap", right?

Perhaps you could get more followers if you gave some examples of specific
third-party applications that would benefit from each of your proposed
requirements. The list you gave seems rather unfocused.
--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|bigotries (should| [    | |    ]    /    _>  /    _>

------------------------------

From: "Brian E. Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Looking for listserv / listproc / majordomo software
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:42:07 -0600

Hello,

  I am looking for Listproc (listserv, majordomo, etc) software to run on
our Redhat 5.2 box.  I would like to hear what you guys suggest we use.  We
(like most people) are looking for software that is available free to the
public, for non-profit use.

  If you could also list where the suggested software can be found, that
would be quite helpful.

TIA,
-BEP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bright)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT,Redhat 5.2, X Installation
Date: 31 Mar 1999 16:15:09 GMT

Jas Sandhu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hi
: I am trying to install Redhat 5.2.
: I have a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT
: 16Mb SDRAM AGP Card.
: This card is not supported in the X windows
: setup (using Xconfigurator).
: I tried a couple of the other options (the memory
: only goes upto 8MB max for most of these), but all i get is errors
: when i try startx and back to the prompt
: Is there a driver for this card in Redhat 5.2.
: Does anybody have a solution for this, or am
: I missing something in the setup.

configure as an unknown card and then use the VGA16 server.
That'll get you going in basic 640x480. To really use the RIVA
you need to upgrade to XFree86 3.3.3.1 and use the SVGA server.
Just did this yesterday... runs quite nicely.

cha cha cha

From: Igor Zlatkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: help me please!!!
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:55:47 +0000

Pure evil, isnīt it?

Do you have SCSI or IDE disk(s)? How many drives? Where did you install Linux,
and where does Win reside, what drives/partitions? Give us a copy of your
/etc/lilo.conf and possibly a copy of your master boot record. A partition list
shown by linux fdisk and Windows fdisk would help also.

Once upon a time, there was a bug in Windows 95 filesystem driver that yould
cause exactly the same problem under certain circumstances. I thought MS has
resolved that "issue" allready, but who knows?

Ciao
Igor

------------------------------

From: "Stavros C. Kassinos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Slow ethernet LAN driving me crazy!!
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:16:01 -0800

I have a home LAN comprising of 2 linux boxes (Box-1 and Box-2). They
are both running RedHat Linux 5.2 . The two machines are connected with
100base-T ethernet via a hub. Box-1 is the server connected to the ISP
via DSL.

I am using masquerating and ip-forwarding on Box-1 the server.
Everything seems to work ok, both machines see each other and the world.
>From the client machine I can ping, telnet and ftp to machines outside
the LAN.

PROBLEM: The connection, even the local one just between Box-1 and
Box-2, is slow. FTP transfer rates are only 1-5Kb/sec!!

Does anybody have any suggestions where the problem lies?

Thank you for any response.

Stavros C. Kassinos              | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
                                 | Office: (650)-723-0546     |
Center for Turbulence Research   | Fax:    (650)-723-4548     |
Stanford University              | www.stanford.edu/~kassinos |