Linux-Misc Digest #770, Volume #19                Wed, 7 Apr 99 03:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software! (Bloody Viking)
  Re: PIM or other address book for Linux? ("Peter Caffin")
  Mars_nwe, Netware and Winfax shared modems ("Peter Caffin")
  Re: Question: total on ls-command (Paul Kimoto)
  Linux Switch Router -- What do you think??
  Re: Cheapbytes - What happened??? (John Strange)
  stupid newbie question about mount (lisa)
  Re: emacs launches internet connection ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: read boot messages (Gus Hartmann)
  RealNetworks' policy regarding Linux? (Mircea)
  Q) disk cp fd0 to fd0 (source to target) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  key values ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Where did www.freeciv.org go? (dream)
  Matrox framebuffer (Vlad Doubrov)
  Excite for Web Servers (Howard Strasberg)
  Re: Need Sound Card Suggestions (David Fox)
  Re: hackers ("jeff")
  Re: Questions for the gurus... (Brian Stephen Faivre)
  Access other than root???? ("Richard M. Rajchel")
  Re: Cheapbytes - What happened??? ("Tom Lominac")

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Proprietary Linux -- End Of Open Source Software!
Date: 7 Apr 1999 00:40:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Juergen Heinzl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Well, the best one I saw was about papers found in the Vatican that
: prove 2000 is not a leapyear ...

I wonder if any Y2K debuggers fell for it. If so, the April Fool's joke
will ADD Y2K bugs! That could in fact be the motive for the joke!

I still like that Rupert Tollifsen joke that Joan Brewer fell for.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

3853767 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

------------------------------

From: "Peter Caffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PIM or other address book for Linux?
Date: 7 Apr 1999 03:35:19 GMT

Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ..and Ted McDaniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I have looked at gaddress book and Korganizer.  Are there any other PIM
>> / address books for Linux that people would recommend?  I don't care if
>> it's X or console based.

> GnomeCard is cool.

I reckon you should find out whatever that cute 3com Palm Pilot thing uses
under Linux for its address book manager (y'know, after it has 'synced'
its data between Linux and the Pilot).

(I'd buy myself a Palm Pilot apart from the fact that I would hardly ever
find a *real* use for it apart from doodles..)

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

------------------------------

From: "Peter Caffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.netware.misc,symantec.support.network.winfax.general
Subject: Mars_nwe, Netware and Winfax shared modems
Date: 7 Apr 1999 03:29:29 GMT

I have a number of PCs running Winfax Pro v4.0 under Windows 95 which
connect to their fax server (another PC running Windows 95).

However, when the Novell Netware server is removed, the non-server Winfax
client PCs cannot fax out through the shared modem. This isn't helped by
using Mars_nwe to serve Netware from Linux.

It's all very odd, since Winfax client PCs should just be chatting to
their "server" PC without reference at all to a Novell server over the IPX
or NetBIOS protocol, shouldn't it?

--:     _           _    _ _

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Question: total on ls-command
Date: 7 Apr 1999 00:11:29 -0500

In article <7eds0s$doj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kim Krarup Andersen wrote:
> I'm new to Linux. When I do a "ls / -al" I see 19 lines of files or
> directories. How come the total in the first line says "total 61" ?

A recent ls(1) man page says:

              For each directory  that is listed, preface the
              files with a line `total blocks', where blocks is
              the total disk space used by all files in that
              directory.  By default, 1024-byte blocks are used;
              if the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is set,
              512-byte blocks are used (unless the -k option is
              given). The blocks computed counts each hard link
              separately; this is arguably a deficiency.

(Similar information can be found in the fileutils info page.)

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Switch Router -- What do you think??
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 21:21:26 -0700

MRV Communications Inc. Introduces Industry's First High-Performance Linux
Switch Router
The OSR8000 is the First High Performance Enterprise Routing Switch to
Integrate the Linux Operating System
CHATSWORTH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 6, 1999-- MRV Communications Inc.
(Nasdaq:MRVC - news), a leading provider of high-speed optical network
components and systems, today announced the first high performance
enterprise switch router to integrate the Linux Operating System under its
NBase-Xyplex brand name.
``The OSR8000 has addressed the market demand for a flexible, high
performance enterprise solution that increases network bandwidth on demand
and preserves mission critical application requirements for enterprise and
service provider networks,'' said Noam Lotan, president and CEO of MRV
Communications.
This revolutionary router was featured in this week's issues of PC Week,
Network World, Internet Week and EE Times. High performance has been
integrated with the ``Open'' architecture of Linux to create a seamless,
high performance enterprise switch routing package for enterprise and
service provider networks.
This is the first high performance Linux Router using the strength,
flexibility and scalability of an ``Open'' architecture, giving the customer
basic block functions and programmable interfaces.
The OSR8000 is a Linux switch router in an 18-slot chassis with a
40-Gigabit-per-second routing fabric, frame and cell scheduling, and high
speed ASICs, supporting up to 26 million packets per second of throughput. A
special feature is the programmable ``Packet Flow Processors'' for smart
networking applications. These new features can be deployed without
additional hardware upgrades, saving customers time and resources.
A Common Routing Platform Approach
Today, ``Open Source'' routing is rapidly gaining favor among developers. A
recent survey by Evans Marketing Services showed that 53% of surveyed
developers are in favor of open source software. A recent series of key
developments is helping Linux to emerge as a new viable standard in
Enterprise Operating Systems.
New enhancements to Linux are beginning to catch the attention of the
corporate IT groups. Improved interfaces, symmetric multi- processing
performance and an extended file system are, but a few of the improvements
that place Linux on a par with NT and NetWare.
These improvements have attracted industry leaders such as IBM, Oracle,
Hewlett-Packard, Compaq, Intel and Dell computers in support of the Linux
Open architecture.
Breakthrough Capabilities in Application Development
Most competing high-end switch router vendors require their customers to use
a proprietary software engine for all routing features. The proprietary
software running their routers restricts users who wish to add new
applications to their products. With Linux as its software systems base, the
OSR8000 allows customers who require this capability access to the basic
block functions and programmable interfaces needed for application
development.
``The industry is growing and changing fast, but our average (service)
contract is seven to 10 years,'' said Tejas Vashi, data communications
product manager at Broadband Network Inc., in State College, Pa., and NBase
user. ``There will be (a) lot of changes over that time, so we'll need to
change, scale and migrate that system over (the) life of the contract.
Something like (the OSR8040-L) lets us add and delete things as we require
on the core. It lets us tailor the applications to the network itself.'' (PC
Week, April 5, 1999)
Customers who are unable to build their own applications will also benefit
from the open system routing design. As new networking technologies and
capabilities become available, they must first be ported to a router's base
code before the new features can be utilized. The Linux Open architecture
encourages the thousands of software developers to continue releasing new
features.
To further complement enhanced routing, the OSR8000 includes integrated
application services with the multi-service functions of the Linux OS. These
include programmable Packet Flow Processors for `smart' networking
applications, the CODA distributed file system, improved directory services,
enhanced symmetric multiprocessing performance, load balancing and fault
tolerance.
Configuration
The OSR8000 is an 18-slot modular chassis with a 40-Gigabit per second
routing fabric, frame and cell scheduling, and high speed ASICs. Optional
modules provide a flexible selection of port density and speed with 128 x
10/100 Ethernet ports, 64 OC12 ports or 32 x 1Gbps ports. Future modules
will include 128 ATM or POS OC3 ports and WDM and long-reach optics.
To ensure high-end scalability, the Linux Operating System supports multiple
processors and also supports IPsec. The OSR8000 includes support for Quality
of Service, numerous security features, policy-based management, SNMP, RMON,
VLANS, IP CIDR and router clustering.
It also includes a full suite of routing protocols and applications,
including: IP, RIP1/2, OSPF DHCP, ICMP, EGP, GDP, IRDP, IPX, MBR, IGMP,
DVMRP, PIM, SAP, NetBios, AppleTalk, DECnet, NAT and IP Masquerading.
Availability
The base chassis and initial modules of the OSR8000 routing switch will be
available in the 3rd quarter of 1999. The Linux Switch Router was developed
and will be manufactured by MRV's NBase division in Yokneam, Israel.
About MRV Communications Inc.
MRV Communications is a world-class leader in high-speed optical network
components and systems. Its products integrate switching, routing, remote
access and fiber-optic transmission to enhance the performance of LANs
(local area networks) and WANs (wide area networks) and telecommunications
networks. MRV's fiber-optic transmission components send voice, data and
video to carriers and residential networks.
Through its NBase-Xyplex brand, the company provides network enhancement
solutions that accelerate the deployment and improve the performance of
complex data networks.

Contact:
     MRV Communications Inc., Chatsworth
     Diana Hayden, 818/886-6782

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Strange)
Subject: Re: Cheapbytes - What happened???
Date: 6 Apr 1999 17:06:21 GMT

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart

Works for me.

Thomas T. Veldhouse ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: It looks like they changed there domain, perhaps your DNS server is still
: caught with the old data.

: Tom Veldhouse
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: jimterm wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
: >Does anyone know what happened to Cheapbytes.Com
: >
: >There website just returns "404 Not Found"
: >
: >

--
While Alcatel may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job),
Alcatel does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when u

------------------------------

From: lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: stupid newbie question about mount
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 17:12:33 GMT

Stupid question about mount, not stupid newbie (although sometimes....)

I have a directory in /mnt set aside for hdc1 (/mnt/backup),a second
harddrive. When running cron to perform a backup, should I mount the
harddrive, copy my folders, etc, then umount? When I mount and unmount, does
the directory look the same?  I guess what I'm really asking is: Why I can
copy files to the specific directory even tho' /dev/hdc1 isn't mounted?  When
I do and ls -al on the /mnt/backup (hdc1) I can see things in there that
aren't there when I mount it. (and vice-versa).

Is anyone actually following this?

thanks for any explanations!
lisa

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.emacs
Subject: Re: emacs launches internet connection
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 17:54:11 GMT

In article <7e9adg$ove$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Eric Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.  Strange that Emacs should want to know your
> domain name though.
>
> - Eric

Try NEdit.  It doesn't care if you're on another planet.

From: Gus Hartmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: read boot messages
Date: 7 Apr 1999 04:39:27 GMT

MPatt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> how do i read boot messages after they have scrolled by? is there an
> equivelent to dos' F8?

        There is no equivalent commannd to "step through" the boot
process, as there was with the F8 key in DOS. However, once the system
has booted, you can view the kernel boot messages with the "dmesg"
command. This represents only a portion of the messages displayed
at boot time; the rest are generated by the init scripts. These vary
depending on distribution/flavor; on systems using a System V derived
init, look in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/ or /etc/rc2.d/ . Try the man page for
init(8). On BSD-based systems, look in /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local .

--
        Gus
  http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~hartmann/ | PGP Key ID: pub  1024/DCC499F5

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RealNetworks' policy regarding Linux?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:34:19 -0400

I stand amazed in front of the latest example of idiosyncrasy in the
corporate world.

Last week I received a reply from RealNetworks regarding the
availability of a G2 player for Linux, basically stating that all
development of such a product had been dropped.

Today, surfing around, I got to their web page - well, they have
released a G2 RealProducer for Linux. Now, could someone please explain
to me why would they make an encoder, but not a player, for a specific
OS?

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Q) disk cp fd0 to fd0 (source to target)
Date: 7 Apr 1999 00:41:03 -0500

Hello Everyone

I have been reading my linux book and searching the man pages but I
can not seem to find out what to do in Linux, when you want to
diskcopy a: a: /v as in MSDOS.

TIA.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: key values
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 02:53:13 GMT

We have a program working under Unix that uses <CTRL>-N and <CTRL>-P. We are
currently accessing the program via serial connections to the server. We would
like to be able to access the program via telnet over TCP/IP.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to successfully use these two keys under
telnet. We have tried CRT, TeraTerm, and Windows telnet, all to no success.
We are emulating a wyse50, but have tried vt200, ansi, and other combinations
as well. How do I setup telnet to use these keys? We are limited by our
dependence on these two keys to expand the number of terminals since we can't
use telnet (really!). Any suggestions?

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear

From: dream <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where did www.freeciv.org go?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 07:42:35 +0300

------------------------------

From: Vlad Doubrov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox framebuffer
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 09:57:39 +0400

Hi All!

I'm running matroxfb framebuffer driver under 2.2.x whith Matrox G200
card. Everything goes fine, including XFree at modes higher than 8 bit.
But it's getting a nightmare when something tries to set a videomode
other than my default 800x600x8/32bpp. E.g, 640x480x16 (XF86Setup uses
this), text modes (dosemu and vmware), and so on. The screen is just
getting blank, garbage-filled and what not. For example, dosemu runs
fine, but when I switch to another VT and then return back to dosemu,
the screen is simple getting dark, until I kill it with SysRq-K This is
only a matroxfb problem, because without it everything works fine.

So, is there any solution? Or these great things - framebuffers and
XF86Setup/Dosemu/VMWare are completely incompatible?

--
 Vlad aka 2:5097/49 aka 2:5020/1025.28  [Team MSTU]
 E - mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Howard Strasberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Excite for Web Servers
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 23:13:08 -0700

I'm having a great deal of trouble installing Excite for Web Servers 1.1
on Red Hat Linux 5.2.

I searched the Internet, and on dk.edb.unix someone had the same
problem.  His posting was over two weeks ago, and still nobody has come
up with a solution.

The problem is that the install script is just full of errors when
running on Red Hat Linux 5.2.

I have been going through it step-by-step, but each time I get something
to work, the next part of the script fails.

The major problems seem to have to do with paths, location of perl,
etc., but no combination of solutions I have tried results in the script
running completely.

I'm really hoping somebody out there has run into this problem, and
could shed some light on its solution.

Thanks,
Howard.

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Need Sound Card Suggestions
Date: 06 Apr 1999 18:06:35 -0700

As you might expect for $22, these don't sound particularly good either.
I guess the question is whether you want a card for listening to music.

--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: "jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: kingston.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: hackers
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:08:56 -0700

If you look in /etc/passwd you will see that the "user" nobody is *'d  there
is no passwd so no one is likely to login with that and be successful.
Unless you assigned a passwd to it, and then I think stuff would have
broken.

'nobody'  is equivalent to a windows 'system' account.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 22:12:21 -0700
From: Brian Stephen Faivre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Questions for the gurus...

Hello,

You need the qt-lib package.  Here is the rpm query from my system

[hornet@localhost hornet]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libqt.so.1
qt-1.40-1rh51

Once you get this rpm type:

rpm -ivh <splay package> <qt package>

Hope this helps,

Brian

From: "Richard M. Rajchel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Access other than root????
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:08:15 -0500

I have read all entries having to do with this to no avail....I've also
read the pppd man pages.
I use X-ISP to dial in and when I am not the root user I get the error

pppd returned 1;

then it stops. HELP PLEASE! I know I shouldn't be using root to dial
into my ISP but I can't seem to use any other accounts.

-JazzyRick

From: "Tom Lominac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 01:46:37 -0400

I just got in at www.cheapbytes.com.