Linux-Misc Digest #974, Volume #18               Wed, 10 Feb 99 11:13:14 EST

Contents:
  Re: Antivirus (Lyle Taylor)
  From RedHat to Slackware (White Home)
  Re: Hardware compatibility List (White Home)
  Re: Linux InstallFest -- DC -- 20 Feb 99 (Charles Packer)
  Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters (Michael Powe)
  Re: How to make a ISA PNP modem work in Linux? (Keon-woo Hong)
  Zlid95 ("David Ricardo")
  Re: Desktop falls off the Monitor in XWindows? (PG)
  Re: Where is Kermit? (Wallace Barnes III)
  Re: swapon -s returning error (Corey J. Steele)
  Re: KDE is a Memory Hog. (Paul Seelig)
  Re: xterm or text console? how can program find out? (John Strange)
  Re: Video cutting (Jen)
  Re: Where is Kermit? (Michael Powe)
  Re: How to change default group? (David Fontes)
  compiling kernel 2.2.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Unable to mount cdrom (Doug)
  Re: one thing that sux about Linux.... ("Southam")
  Re: Customizing FTP Opening Screen (NF Stevens)
  Re: X Apps via Telnet (Matt Kressel)
  Re: encrypted file system (Toffer)
  Re: Netscape 4.04 closes (Ben Russo)
  Re: Unable to mount cdrom
  Re: rpm gimp? what am I missing? (-=kOvI=-)

From: Lyle Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Antivirus
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:55:12 -0700

Don't speak too quickly, there.  While I have not seen any personally,
viruses CAN exist in Linux, even if limited to only one user's own
executables.  A smart virus could use system security flaws to get root
access and go from there.  While it is not a virus, per se, but a worm,
one very famous attack by a student somewhere took advantage of security
flaws, transmitted an encrypted copy of the source code to another
computer, where is compiled it, and then went looking for other
computers with the same flaw.  It even got into quite a few government
systems.

We've been a bit lucky so far, but don't ever say that a virus wouldn't
work under Linux.  It can.  You're just challenging someone to do it.

Lyle

Stan wrote:

>  On 25 Jan 1999 14:53:28 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aurelien
>  Jarno) wrote:
>
>  >Hello,
>  >
>  >I'm looking an antivirus for Linux.
>
> There are no viruses in linux.
> Viruses exist in an OS where:
>         There are no user access permissions.
>         The user/admin installs shamelessly binaries from X.screensaver.com
>
> Now that _could_ be done in linux IF root used to login as root all the time
> to do his/her usual work and installed shamelessly rpm binnaries compiled
> at ftp.hackme.please.com
>
> Thats one good thing with open source BTW.
>
> On the other hand there are trojans, but those can be avoided by a
> careful sysadmin and the COPS or SATAN programs
>
> C-Ya!

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: From RedHat to Slackware
From: White Home <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 22:08:28 -0700

I recently installed RedHat but am wanting to give Slackware a shot.
The machine I have can read a CD while running the RedHat.  I also have
access to Windoze machines to use rawrite if I need to.  The slackware
install isn't quite as simple as the RedHat, all the same, I'd like to
go ahead with it. The RedHat is simple enough to go back to.  Any
pointers for good resources on installing slackware.

Thanks,

Jason

Subject: Re: Hardware compatibility List
From: White Home <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 22:14:06 -0700

sysadmin wrote:

> Is there a hardware compatibility list for the Linux version Redhat?
> Didn't see one

Check out the support section of the www.redhat.com site.  I found a
good amount of info there.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Packer)
Crossposted-To: dc.general
Subject: Re: Linux InstallFest -- DC -- 20 Feb 99
Date: 10 Feb 1999 13:07:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ben Russo wrote:
>I think we should relax, be friendly, let Linux sell itself.

As it happens, I discovered for myself yesterday that it
will be a while before Linux sells itself. I spent over two
hours trying to configure the video driver for X Windows --
the horrid XF86Config file, you know.

It came down to this: Windows 95 doesn't care what video monitor
I attach to the used Compaq Deskpro I bought recently. With
Linux, it's a big deal to switch over from an older fixed-scan
model to an upscale multiscan model.

I say this as a Linux fan and user for the last four years:
If Linux is ever going to sell itself, the hackers that created it
are going to have to take time off from tweaking the kernel and
get cracking on _successfully_ automating the video configuration
portion of the installation process.

http://www.clark.net/pub/whatnews/whatnews.html

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters
Date: 09 Feb 1999 12:03:29 -0800

------------------------------

From: Keon-woo Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to make a ISA PNP modem work in Linux?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:18:43 +0000

I've got it working.   All I needed to do was use setserial on ttyS1 to set
UART, IRQ, and Port parameters to match the resource settings in the
isapnp.conf file.  Bye.

------------------------------

From: "David Ricardo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Zlid95
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 02:05:02 -0200

Where can I find Zlid95 in the net?
Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:15:51 +0000
From: PG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop falls off the Monitor in XWindows?

Done! Now to get my soundcard working...

Patrick

--
By LINUX, on LINUX, through LINUX.

------------------------------

From: Wallace Barnes III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is Kermit?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:27:57 GMT

Kermit can be found at the Columbia University ftp site (ftp.columbia.edu) or their
website (www.columbia.edu). They are the creators of that program.
Good Luck.

Wally
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Remove the nospam to reply)

------------------------------

From: Corey J. Steele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: swapon -s returning error
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:06:08 -0600

I'd say the lack of support for /proc is the more likely of your suggested
answers.  just recompile the kernel with support for /proc, and try again.

-C

------------------------------

From: Paul Seelig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE is a Memory Hog.
Date: 09 Feb 1999 23:17:29 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Evans) writes:

> In article <79pgk0$6mp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       Chad M. Townsend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > Ya, but KDE is cool.  Memory is cheap.
> >
> Thats the Microsoft spirit!!!
> So you want Linux to be like Windoze...I think not.

Linux != KDE

Linux = [ insert any favorite work environment
          here  including KDE and then some   ]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Strange)
Subject: Re: xterm or text console? how can program find out?
Date: 10 Feb 1999 12:52:11 GMT

Some applications run with different key maps based on TERM.
Oracle Forms for instance.   I run xterms with TERM=vt100.
When xtem to a VAX VMS I have TERM=VT220 so the editor works correctly.

I would apply the KISS rule here  (Keep It Simple Stupid)  :)

I would ask the User and save the answer in a .app_defaults file
if the .app_defaults did not exists.

Arthur Corliss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 9 Feb 1999 14:03:58 GMT, T.E.Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >Allen Ashley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: >> "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >
: >>>Why should you want to know?  What difference would it make?
: >>>   Norm
: >
: >> Well, for one thing, the key bindings are different.
: >
: >that's a different issue (your terminal description tracks that).

: One could check the TERM environment variable, since in xterm, it is typically
: 'xterm'.  The console, of course, would be something like 'linux' or 'vt100',
: and so on.

:       --Arthur Corliss
:         Bolverk's Lair -- http://www.odinicfoundation.org/arthur/
:         "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto

--
While Alcatel may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job),
Alcatel does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when u

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jen)
Crossposted-To:
de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,alt.art.video,comp.graphics.misc,comp.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Video cutting
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 23:50:25 GMT

On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 12:14:57 +0100, in alt.tv.x-files the esteemed
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sebastian Wagner) opined pensively:

>I heard about that before. But thats not what i'm looking for. I have no
>problem with buying a computer thats performance is high enough for
>working on the harddisk. So I'm looking for a non-realtime video
>combination with maybe mpeg-encoding and software like Adobe Premiere.
>But I dont want this to run on the Windows Platform. If i get no
>response I'll have to use NT. But first I'll take a look at the winactor
>stuff. But thanx anyway.

Please remove alt.tv.x-files from future replies to this thread.  I
can think of no earthly reason to discuss this stuff over here.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happiness is not a potato...

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Feb 1999 01:19:36 -0800

------------------------------

From: David Fontes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change default group?
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:17:58 +0000

NF Stevens wrote:

> David Fontes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Say I have several users that are all in the same group as defined by
> >the /etc/group file, but they are all also in their own individual
> >groups. How do I make it so that when one of these users creates a file,
> >the file is given the main group designation, and not the individual's
> >group designation?
> >
> >To clarify, I create a new file and it is listed as follows:
> >
> >-rw-rw-r--   1 dfontes  dfontes         5 Feb  9 20:51 test
> >
> >I want to create a new file that instead will be
> >
> >-rw-rw-r--   1 dfontes  mmi             5 Feb  9 20:51 test
> >
> >I know how to change the group designation after the fact, what I want
> >to do is change what my default group would be.
>
> newgrp mmi
>
> (before creating the file) Check the man page for details.
>
> Norman

OK, but is there any way to change the default group *permanently*.  I
want things that get ftp'd to fall into the mmi group as well.

-David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: compiling kernel 2.2.0
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:48:16 GMT

I am trying to compile kernel 2.2.0 on my system I am at present running RH
5.1 and want to upgrade, I have all thu updated software.

I do    make dep
        make clean
        make zImage

it is when I get to this third stage I start to get problems the following
lines may help someone!

        drivers sound sound.a : In function 'ess_init'
        sb_ess.o(text+0xde2): undefined reference to 'esstype'
        sb_ess.o)text+0xe77): undefined referece to 'esstype'
        make: ***[vmlinux] error!

        prompt>>

I would say it is something to do with the sound drivers but am not sure!
  Any advice would be gratefully recieved

Thanks
Toby Coleridge

From: Doug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to mount cdrom
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:38:35 +0000

>From control; panel there is  a mouinting tool i click on nount cdrom??

I used commsand s tooZ:
cd/mnt/cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd/mnt/cdrom
????

Thanks for advise

------------------------------

From: "Southam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: one thing that sux about Linux....
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:40:38 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
<79pi50$2q2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>In linux.redhat.misc Kenny Sylliboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
># Besides you can change windows startup logo in 10 minutes, but take
months
># figuring out how things work in linux, only to forget what you did to
># finally solve your problem.
>
>oh no, you're going to have to *learn* something!
>
>--
>To reply via mail, please remove the obvious from the email address

Here we go again. Look people, I know that Winblows is a piece of crap - M$
still hasn't pried the DOS kernel out of the thing. I've been in IT support
since Windows 3.0, so I know the architecture inside. As such, I hate
Windows with all the same venom and vitriol as the rest of you . But, it is
a necessary evil (for now).
You expect a CEO to learn e-mail on Linux? Right. His time costs about $200
an hour - too valuable to spend learning a new OS, when Windows is ready and
able to handle at least this simple chore ( for a while anyway, until it
chews the FAT table on the disk and explodes like a roman candle) and he
mostly knows how to use it. I wish everyone in here would drop the "holier
than thou" attitude. You all seem to either have a superiority complex or
want to divide the world into technology haves and have nots.

.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Customizing FTP Opening Screen
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:48:08 GMT

"Kevin M. Nawroth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am curious how to customize my ftp site to contain useful information
>on the opening page.  For example, a little text message at the top of
>the page after the "Current Directory is /" and before the directory
>folders.  I have seen many sites with a text description welcoming me to
>thier site.   I would appreciate any response.  Thanks.

There's a couple of files in /etc which are displayed at various times.
Check the ftpd man page.

Norman

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
From: Matt Kressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X Apps via Telnet
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:41:55 GMT

dgap wrote:

> Hi, there...
>
> On my LAN I have a Linux server and some PC's with Windows 9*/NT4.
>
> I want to develop graphical Apps (using Tcl/Tk or some Motif-like library)
> on my Linux Server, nut I also want that users on the PC's use those apps
> (and, of course, the graphical environment). Is this possible??
>
> I know that, in some ways (for example, when using SGI Irix...), it is
> possible to redirect the graphics output to another computer (I think that
> it involves setting the display variable, although I don't know how to do
> it), but will it work with PC's ??

There are Tcl/Tk ports for Windows.  Not sure though how compatible they
will be.  If you get an X server for windows (of which many exist) then
you can "export" the display for the UNIX box to windows.  "export
DISPLAY=remote.host.ip:0.0"

-Matt

--
Matthew O. Kressel | INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Toffer)
Subject: Re: encrypted file system
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:03:34 GMT

Use the loopback device - this does exactly what you want. The command
LOSETUP associates a disk file image (possibly encrypted) with a
device such as /dev/loop0 which you can them mount.

        man losetup

for details.

Toffer/

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.04 closes
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:34:19 -0500

Henry Meyerding wrote:

> I have Netscape 4.04 on a Linux (Caldera) system.  Whenever I encounter
> a web page that wants to play a wav file, all open instances of my
> browser close.  I've tried setting the mime type in netscape, but it
> seems to make no difference.  HELP.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry Meyerding
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Please respond via e-mail.  Thanks.

Find out whether you are using a libc4 or glibc system.
Then go and get the Netscape 4.0x (x being latest minor revision number)
rpm.

Use rpm -U to upgrade.
See if the problem still exists.

------------------------------

From: -=kOvI=- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rpm gimp? what am I missing?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 21:30:50 +0100

Hi,
 You should check two things:
1) if /usr/local/lib directory is in /etc/ld.so.conf. If it is,
try running ldconfig -v and check if it finds libgck.so.1 etc.

2) If you have installed gimp-libgimp from rpm, then their
location at /usr/local/lib seems quite unusual (normally they go
to /usr/lib). Try rpm -q gimp-libgimp to see if it is really installed.

Best,
MK