From: "Chris Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems mounting hda1 as root
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 18:02:20 GMT

When trying to mount /dev/hda1 as a root partition it only boots partway.
The last thing I see on the screen is:

Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2
_

At that point I have a flashing cursor on the screen. I can type and what I
type is shown on-screen, but hitting enter just creates a new line. The
machine doesn't do squat.

Edward Dunagin was kind enough to reply to an indentical earlier post,
advising me to look at my /etc/lilo.conf file. I booted with a resuce disk
and tried this, but this durn thing won't let me put LILO on the boot
partition of hda1 when I've got the system booted with fd1 as the root.
AAARRRRGGHHH!!!

Thanks in advance,
chris

------------------------------

From: "MrFrosty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial Mouse problems with suse 6
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 19:03:57 -0000

Hi,

I've just installed suse linux 6 and am new to this OS, and am having major
problems with my serial mouse, after installation the mouse works, but as
soon as I reboot I lose the mouse.  I have checked the XF86Config file and
its listed as:

Microsoft
/dev/mouse

I have tried reconfiguring the mouse as other types and still no go.

Can anyone help me retrieve my mouse back?

Marcus
---
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: www.mrfrosty.co.uk/mrfrosty

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: Text editors
Date: 7 Mar 1999 13:36:07 -0800

On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:37:01 -0800, Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've just installed Red Hat 5.2. I am wondering if there is any
>window-based editors.
>I'm looking for an editor that works like textedit or jot on other UNIX
>workstations or something like notepad in Windows95/98. Something simple
>to create .txt, .html or .c files. Please help.

Textedit is still around if you really liked it. It's part of the
Xview/OpenLook library package I believe (for some reason I've been
messing around in that ``forgotten'' environment).
The Slackware CD still has it.

One very nice editor I haven't seen mentioned here is cooledit and its
smaller sibling smalledit. If one is used to Midnight Commander's mcedit
it uses most of the same keys. Cooledit is multi-file while smalledit
is for single file jobs. A favorite of mine.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<
Marc D. Williams    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html  --  DOS Internet
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Windows 3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: "David Leathers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Question on using 5.2:
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 07:16:08 -0600

Hi
At the present time I'm using win95 system.  I plan to upgrade to win98 next
week and I would also like to have and use a linux installtion on my system.

My question is how should I go about installing both operating systems?  Are
there instructions to do this?  Which version of Linux should I use?

Thanks
David

------------------------------

From: Kenn Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cut and Paste
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:57:24 -0500

try <shift> <insert>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 21:24:25 +0800
From: Arnold Kaars <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Proxy settings on netscape

I found I had to be connected to the net when I set mine.  I got the
same error message b/4 that.
HTH

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Fraser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.databases
Subject: Re: Looking for free text DB, or indexing code
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 13:23:59 GMT

Moses Fridman wrote in message:
>I am looking for a program that behaves like this:
>
> * Accepts freeform text as a record (HTML, raw ASCII, whatever)
> * Allows records to exist as separate files, perhaps sprawled out over
>an entire disk or NFS
> * Builds an inverted index of words from the records...
> * ...so that it can perform really fast searches on the text.
> * Runs on Linux, or comes in a easily portable form.

I'm using Alta Vista Personal Search to index the data files on my hard
drive.  It instantly finds any file with any character or set of characters
I tell it to look for.

This program is the precursor to the present Alta Vista Discovery, which I
find awkward to use.  Still, both do the same thing, just in different ways.
It's a free download from www.altavista.com

Bruce.

------------------------------

From: David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reqs for a Linux router
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 15:16:23 +0000

Edward,
   So it looks like your OK.  All the boxes run linux, have
networking installed and have a 10 mb lan card.  The only
questionable thing is 8mb on the server which will probably work
if its not running apps at the same time.  4 meg is the min.  The
users may thurst for more ram also but if they are running stuff
which does not require much ram then that's ok also.  X will just
make it on 8.

From: Thomas Horan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux client for Exchange Server
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:35:44 +0000

Hi there,
does anyone know of a linux client for an MS Exchange Server ?
I know I can use pop3/imap to get the mail......but for other features ? does
anyone know of anything ?

AND does anyone know of a GOOD IMAP client for linux ?

thanx

------------------------------

From: "Lee Howes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Web Newsreader
Date: 7 Mar 1999 11:43:55 GMT

Please E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] not reply to this message.

Does anyone know of a way in which I can read newsgroups from the web (as
Yahoo or similar mail accounts can read pop mail) because I cannot use news
servers from school.

Thank You,
        Lee Howes

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (O'Neill)
Subject: Re: How I want to configure my office
Date: 06 Mar 1999 12:30:13 PST

On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 14:43:32 +0000, gus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>O'Neill wrote:

>> >If you have the networking part down, I would think you are the biggest
>> >part of the way there.
>>
>> I agree, and that's what I need help with.  the windows machines are
>> all networked, but I don't have much functionality with the network
>> when I'm in linux.  Not only that, but I haven't even begun to figure
>> out how to drive my printers.  From what I've seen so far, printing is
>> just downright baffling, though I'm sure that with 10 or 15 hours of
>> work I would understand it, etc.  The thing is that the time is hard
>> to find.
>>
>> I also want to set up internal email and other such things.  Maybe
>> even an intranet?  Anyway, I appreciate your response and ideas.
>> Frankly, I kinda thought I would get more replies, but I'll try the
>> links you suggested.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>

>What a pity I am not in NY .... ;-)
>
>What you are actually looking for is a person with a couple of months of
>Samba experience, and the energy and patience to teach somone in site.
>
>If I was in NY I would happily come in for a few hours up to a weekend
>at about 40 dollars per hour for the initial setup. This should really
>not take more than a few hours to get to grips with the environment, a
>couple of hours to install a PC and recompile the kernels if necessary
>then a couple more hours to set up Samba and the usernames and passwords
>etc. There is always an inevitable glitch which will add time, but it
>should all be doable in a weekend. Then a couple of hours to explain to
>yourself what has been done (If you did not sit in while it was
>happening), and then an offer of free on-site same night (after hours)
>support should anything be wrong for the next week.
>
>Obviously I could "charge" that because I would be happy to, more
>commercial support would be more expensive, I imagine.
>
>Anyway, that is the sort of person you need. Someone who has passed the
>learning curve, but can help you to cut the time of your learning curve.
>You then end up supporting it once the glitches are out.
>
>That is what I would look for. My expectation is that it should all be
>doable in a day, but I know computers well enough to give two days at
>least.
>
>All in all, I guess it would cost you a day (8 hours) and $320.
>
>Bargain.
>
>gus

Yes, this (or should I say you or someone like you is exactly what I
am looking for).  I agree entirely with your assessment of the
situation.  I have putzed around with Samba but haven't got it down
right.

There's just one thing you left out.  After you got the whole thing
done I'd take you out for a few beers or whatever of your choice and
we could trade hate microsoft stories with each other <g>.

Take care.

MO

------------------------------

From: jas shultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux Wannabe: which distribution?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:29:20 -0700

Another good book to try is Linux Unleashed, 3rd edition.

There's also a good howto site is http://howto.linuxberg.com

jas
http://www.openskyco.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.M. Paden)
Subject: Re: Fundamental Linux Install/Troubleshooting Training
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 20:25:21 GMT

Gregor Strassburger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>As Linux knowledge is getting increasingly important...
>
>I'm wondering whether there is some lecture/lab, instructor based
>training course available for fundamental Linux knowledge like
>installation, basic configuration, troubleshooting, e.t.c. If not this
>media, maybe some CBT or other selfpaced - except the books that are
>available in masses...?
>
>Any input highly appreciated!
>
>Gregor

http://basiclinux.hypermart.net/basic/index.htm
 "The last temptation is the greatest treason:
  To do the right deed for the wrong reason."
  --T.S. Eliot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: A question about MP3's and Linux
Date: 7 Mar 1999 08:45:19 -0500

Posted and Mailed.

In article <_K%D2.67$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
J Crowtz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-Hello all,
-
- Having recently picked up an old SoundBlaster16 sound card, I am going
-to install it in my computer so I can listen to some music.  Mainly, I
-would like to play MP3s.  However, my CPU is a 486SX, running at 25mhz.
-Though I have Redhat 5.0 on my system, and I know there are many MP3
-players for Linux, will I still be able to play MP3s with no problems?
-(I also have 20 megs of ram and 16 megs swap space, if that makes any
-difference.)

MP3 encoding and decoding are CPU intensive processes. You simply do not have
enough horsepower to decode them effectively.

I've done my testing on a 166 Mhz Pentium. They play fine, however in X when
I flip screens or do anything else which requires a bit of CPU, the MP3 skips.

Good luck though.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rulecoyote)
Subject: mounting dos partition
Date: 6 Mar 1999 20:35:48 GMT

Hi

 I know this must be common knowledge but I cant seem to find it any where.
I have a cursed ltwinmodem so windows is my downloader. I need to transfer
some linux files to my linux partitions. How is that done?

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 640 : RH5.2 okay here
Date: 7 Mar 1999 13:44:10 GMT

On Sun, 07 Mar 1999 05:46:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 >In article <7bhavf$m94$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 >  r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent) wrote:
 >> On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 10:01:53 -0500, Jeff Letendre wrote:
 >>  >Anyone know where I can get a linux driver for a Stylus 640?  The driver
 >>  >that ships w/ Red Hat only has a resolution up to 360 dpi.
 >>  >
 >> You need the uniprint driver in ghostscript.  Install
 >> ghostscript 5.50, printtool-3.40 and rhs-printfilters-1.50.
 >>
 >Anyway, after installing the above packages (RPMS) this printer works great. I
 >had to get the ghostscript-5.5.0 rpm from the aladdin site, and the other
 >packages from a rawhide mirror. also, I had to upgrade my libc and glibc.
 >
 >I use the Epson 600
 >driver from printtool, and am quite happy.

You might be even happier (1440x720dpi) if you used the uniprint
driver.  Unless it's been updated, the 5.50 rpm at the Aladdin site
didn't have the uniprint driver compiled in.  Do gs -h to see.
Check out

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/aladdin/doc/Devices.htm

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: linux 2.2.2, lpdPLP and lp0
Date: 7 Mar 1999 13:47:34 GMT

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:51:41 +0100, Matthias Juchem wrote:

 >I've installed the new kernel 2.2.2 recently. Everything seemed to work but
 >today I noticed that my printer won't print.
 >
 >lpdPLP is running fine, using lp0, but when receiving a print job it says:
 >
 >lp: Print_open: cannot open /dev/lp0: Operation not supported by device
 >
 >Modules parport, parport_pc and lp are loaded.

Have you added the following to /etc/conf.modules?

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Doug Paradis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Help - rpm XFree86 & stuck between 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 08:55:54 -0500

I have recently tried upgrading my rpm install on RedHat 5.2 to go from
XFree86 3.3.2 to 3.3.3.  In the install,  I get the following error
after following the instructions very carefully.  Now my XFree86 install
is a mix of 3.3.2 and 3.3.3.  The only package that is still 3.3.2 is
the main XFree86 package.  I have done a verify on the rpm file and even
re-downloaded it to make sure it doesn't have any problems, so I have to
assume it has something to do with my config.  I am not an X 'pert' and
woudl appreciate any help.

Thanks - error message is below

warning: /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers saved as /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.rpmsave
warning: /etc/X11/xdm/chooser saved as /etc/X11/xdm/chooser.rpmsave
warning: /usr/X11R6/bin/startx saved as /usr/X11R6/bin/startx.rpmsave
warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg saved as
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg.rpmsave
warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm saved as
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm.rpmsave
unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/twm: -2147483639:
Operation not permitted
error: /main/rpm/XFree86-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm cannot be installed