Linux-Misc Digest #833, Volume #19               Tue, 13 Apr 99 10:13:21 EDT

Contents:
  PPP problems dialing up (Eric Marquez)
  problems with modules under linux (Dustin Puryear)
  KOffice RH5.2 binary 386 rpm? ("Barry Kauler")
  Strange NcFTPd problem... (Vadim Ismailov)
  Re: RPMs (Bob Tennent)
  Re: Swap space not working (Geoff Allsup)
  Apache Virtual Hosts (Ben Short)
  netscape (Brandon)
  Re: Soundcard ESS1688 setup failure, no Audio devices on /dev/sndstat, HELP!!!
(Harold Henry)
  Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the Linux-equivalents
for these Windoze programs? (Harry)
  Re: WordPerfect 8 Installation (Brandon)
  Re: Exchange access from a Linux/Unix Box(native or otherwise) (brian moore)
  CVS repository for common files (Ben Elliston)
  Re: Apache Virtual Hosts (Wouter Boussemaere)
  Re: [LILO] Trying to boot, just get "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..." (Robert
Nichols)
  Re: Problems installing glibc 2.0.7 with SUSE 6.0 ("Thomas T. Veldhouse")
  Moving Linux... (Christophe Basset)
  Re: missing library (jik-)

From: Eric Marquez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: PPP problems dialing up
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:44:24 -0700

==============842C62ED0425AC8DA4C11656

Going by the PPP-HOWTO file I was able to test pppd with minicom but
after configuring the ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off.
When I issue the command
pppd debug file options.myserver /dev/ttyS1 115200\
>ppp-on &
pppd: unrecognized optoin 'ppp-on'

I have ppp-on is listed in the following dir's
/usr/sbin/ppp-on
/etc/ppp/script/ppp-on
Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
I'm using RedHat 5.2
kernel 2.0.36
ppp-2.3.5-1.i386.rpm

==============842C62ED0425AC8DA4C11656

begin:vcard
n:Marquez;Eric
tel;pager:1888 pagemci  Pin: 1727167
tel;cell:425 260-8430
tel;fax:773 9132420
tel;home:206 285-9147
tel;work:206 285-2418
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Rhythms
adr:;;2516 14th Ave West # 105;Seattle;Wa;98119;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Field Service
fn:Eric B. Marquez
end:vcard

==============842C62ED0425AC8DA4C11656==

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: problems with modules under linux
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:34:05 -0500

I am having difficulty in using a new kernel under linux. I recently
reconfigured and recompiled my 2.0.35 kernel. Of course, I included
most things as a module. I then ran "make dep clean install modules
modules_install" to setup the new kernel. When I rebooted I noticed
that I no longer had PPP, PS/2, printer, or other features I setup
as a module. I then tried "make dep clean zImage install modules
modules_install;lilo" just in case. Same problem.

Okay, so I then tried to use buildkernel and got kernel 2.2.5, which
buildkernel built and installed for me. Now, I get problems about
unresolved code in /lib/modules/2.2.5/net/xyz.o (just one example
of many). I have a feeling even without these messages I would be
having the same aforementioned problem.

Am I stupid? It should be pretty easy to reconfigure/recompile the
kernel and use modules. But I can't seem to get it to work. I am not
sure of what other information I need to include in this message, so
if you are willing to help feel free to ask. I am using my safe kernel
that came with my distribution (Caldera OpenLinux 1.3). However, I
would prefer to be able to use new kernel, so this isn't a good fix.

Regards, Dustin

--
Dustin Puryear

From: "Barry Kauler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KOffice RH5.2 binary 386 rpm?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:00:37 +0800

Has anyone, or does anyone know of someone,
who has prepared the KDE KOffice suite as a
i386 binary RPM (for RH5.x preferably) ?

The official site has it in source, and the instructions
for installation look complicated.

Regards,
Barry Kauler

------------------------------

From: Vadim Ismailov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange NcFTPd problem...
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 06:44:42 GMT

  Hi! I think it happend when I upgraded kernel to 2.2.x. Now users,when
connecting via ftp users unable to create directories, except the root ot
their home directories. For example, user 12345 can connect via ftp and
create directory /home/12345/newdir, but after that he will fail to create
directory in one level deeper (/home/12345/newdir/newdir2) with error message
that "File already exists". I wrote to author of NcFTPd and he said that was
unable to recreate the problem and therefore can't to fix this bug. But also
he said that he received the same compliants from another people. I don't
know what to do. Did someone encounter this problem? May be someone already
have a solution? I'll appreciate any help.

Vadim

From: r d t@c s.q u e e n s u.c a (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: RPMs
Date: 12 Apr 1999 11:35:33 GMT

On 12 Apr 1999 09:46:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 >>> [root@earth /root]# rpm -i MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm
 >>> package MySQL-3.22.21-1 is already installed
 >>> error: MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm cannot be installed
 >>> [root@earth /root]# rpm -e MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm
 >>> package MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm is not installed
 >>
 >>Try "rpm -e MySQL". Or maybe "rpm -e mysql".
 >>
 >[root@earth /root]# rpm -e MySQL
 >/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.78566: /sbin/chkconfig: No such file or directory
 >execution of script failed
 >
 >i tried a locate chkconfig but nothing showed. Anyone got any more
 >ideas?

Install the chkconfig package.  The original rpm -e failed because
the argument was a filename (MySQL-3.22.21-1.i386.rpm) instead of
a package name (MySQL).

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Allsup)
Subject: Re: Swap space not working
Date: 13 Apr 1999 10:54:14 GMT

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 00:47:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am running RedHat5.9 on a PII450 with 128M RAM. The system recognizes the
>swap partition and initializes it at boot time, but when I use 'free' I get
>something like 'SWAP: total 128516  used 0  free 128516'. The entry is in
>/etc/fstab and i have done mkswap and tried swapon -av but that didn't work
>because it said the device was in use. I think the system knows that it is
>there but just not using it.  Any help appreciated:

That's perfectly plausible - swap won't get used until you've got enough
processes running to fill up the 128 MB of RAM you have - hopefully NEVER!
Swap is VERY slow - it's the last place you want stuff running.  If you
actually have regular, high use of swap, you need more memory!  Your swap
is listed in free, so it IS available, and none of it's in use - perfect....

geoff

Geoff Allsup                   Upper Ocean Processes Group
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution   Woods Hole, MA, USA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Apache Virtual Hosts
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:57:15 +1000

Hi All,
I have this interesting problem when trying to configure Virtual hosts on
my box.

The problem is due to the fact I have a static hostname, on a dynamic IP,
and the updating of the IP is done by DHCP (I think). I use the service
provided by http://www.ddns.org to complete my tasks.

Seeing I only have 1 IP, I attempt to use the NameVirtualHost Directive
with a fully qualified domain, so I have name based virtual hosts, so I
have the following:

NameVirtualHost shortboy.ddns.org

<VirtualHost shortboy.ddns.org>
ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DocumentRoot /home/bshort/public_html/sbp
ServerName shortboy.ddns.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost shortboy.ddns.org>
ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DocumentRoot /home/bshort/public_html/pp/
ServerName gottabe.penguinpowered.com
</VirtualHost>

However, this produces the following error:

httpd: [Tue Apr 13 20:47:18 1999] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on
port 80, the first has precedence
httpd: [Tue Apr 13 20:47:18 1999] [warn] NameVirtualHost
shortboy.ddns.org:80 has no VirtualHosts

And then all virtualhosts go to shortboy.ddns.org

If i replace the shortboy.ddns.org with my IP, then everything works
fine, but for relatively obvious reasons, I dont want to have to edit the
conf file every time my IP changes.

Any ideas anyone? :)

Thanks
Ben
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-
Ben Short                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 01:23:09 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: netscape

     I have a slight problem with my color depth.  In netscape viewing
pictures isn't that fun.  The pictures are dithered even though im
running at 32 bpp and when i open the same file using xpaint or whateve
its called the picture looks a lot better but i can still tell where the
shades of color change, does anyone know what i mean?  Its not like it
was in Windows let me say that.
     And it gets even worse when i pick a window to be teh active window
that has apicture opened in it, like netscape or Gimp or whatever, it
causes all other windows to have their color changed and any pictures
that are in the nonactive window have their colors changed drastically,
sometimes to the point where u can't even tell what the picture is of
anymore.   Is something not configured right?

thanks
brandon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harold Henry)
Subject: Re: Soundcard ESS1688 setup failure, no Audio devices on /dev/sndstat, HELP!!!
Date: 13 Apr 1999 11:25:51 GMT

I am using this card had no problems using Redhat 5.2.

if it helps my conf.modules looks like but you will need isapnp
to configure yours.

alias sound sb
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux still isn't my standard boot-up OS, or what are the
Linux-equivalents for these Windoze programs?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:57:25 -0400

> that awful Borland Turbo stuff

<gets all shirty>

Well, in my day it was *quite* the thing! I haven't used Turbo C in
years (in fact, I recently threw away my copy as I couldn't even
give it away!). What version is it up to?

If you think TC is bad, you should see some of the stuff that came
before!

Harry

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 01:27:26 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WordPerfect 8 Installation

jullian ortmann wrote:

> Ranjit Solomon wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a  newbee and trying to install WordPerfect 8. I downloaded the 7
> > files and untar them When I run the Runme, I get this message
> >
> > "Did you unzip and untar files you downloaded ?"
> >
> > if I type "y" - Error: Nothing to install.
> >                "n"- Please refer to the Readme file if you have
> > questions.
> > I can't get pass these error messages.
> >
> > I would be very much appreciate if someone could help.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ranjit.
>
>   Hi,
> I'm a newbie too but managed to install and use WP8. I'm assuming when
> you type 'y' the computer repy is 'Error: Nothing new to install'.
>
> If this is the case, look the in the directory where the WP files are and
> find the directory /wpbin. In it should be *xwp. In midnight commander
> (mc) just double clicking on it invokes Wordperf.

and how might this help?  he hasn't eveni nstalled it yet suposedly so
trying to run the program isn't going to work.

Make sure the files  are indeed untarred or whatever they need to be.   I
downloaded the one big file last night.  I did 'tar -zxvf GUILG00.GZ'
I believe and itworked fine.  I did './Runme' or whatever its called and it
ran the install script.  After i did the tar command about 8 files  got
crreated so make sure those files exist, and since u downloaded the
individual files you willnow have a little more than twice the number u
started wiht in that directoy b/c a README and the Runme files are extracted
as well.

Brandon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Exchange access from a Linux/Unix Box(native or otherwise)
Date: 13 Apr 1999 05:31:27 GMT

On 1 Apr 1999 11:05:55 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I would be VERY interested in doing such a port, however as
> aforementioned the problem lies with the reverse enigneering side.

Why?

>  I am sick of people saying 'just run IMAP/POP'
>  this is NOT a realistic option in Corporate Dilbert world(they just turn around and
>tell you to run windows)

I'd find a new company.  A company that forces you to use improper tools
is wasting your time.  ("Okay, start building this house: here's a pair
of pliers and a socket wrench.  I'll expect it done by Winter.")

>  The only other ways I saw to do this are

You skipped one.

>  5. Do the dirty and get a non discolsure agreement source release from MS(Yes it
>can be done, we had a client here who
>  got a release of MCIS...Microsoft Internet Services to customize for their own
>use)....then simply distribute binary/lib+api

Snoop the wire.  You have a network with Exchange running on it?  Get
your network admin's permission to snoop it, or perhaps set up a fake
network at home and snoop that.  Document the protocol.

Reverse-engineering the protocol is legal and if you don't sign an NDA
with MICROS~1, they can't stop you from publishing how it works.

Use these newfound docs to write (or convince others to write) a client
and perhaps a server.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: Ben Elliston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,gnu.utils.bug,alt.sources.d
Subject: CVS repository for common files
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:03:10 +1000 (EST)

I would like to announce the existence of an anonymous CVS repository for
"common" files belonging to the GNU Project.  What we mean by "common"
files is files that exist in most, or all, GNU software packages.
Examples include: mkinstalldirs, standards.texi and config.guess.

These files are maintained at the FSF under RCS control, but to make the
distribution of the latest versions of these files easier, an anonymous
CVS repository has been created.  You should use this read-only repository
as a way of collecting the latest versions of these files prior to
releasing a new version of a package.

Here's how to check out these files:

cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/gd/gnu/anoncvsroot login
{enter an empty password}
cvs -d :pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/gd/gnu/anoncvsroot co common

Thanks to Alexandre Oliva for getting this repository created!

---
Ben Elliston

From: Wouter Boussemaere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Apache Virtual Hosts
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:34:16 +0200

==============B587B4103A6862A977862933

Hi,

Ben Short wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have this interesting problem when trying to configure Virtual hosts on
> my box.
>
> The problem is due to the fact I have a static hostname, on a dynamic IP,
> and the updating of the IP is done by DHCP (I think). I use the service
> provided by http://www.ddns.org to complete my tasks.
>
> Seeing I only have 1 IP, I attempt to use the NameVirtualHost Directive
> with a fully qualified domain, so I have name based virtual hosts, so I
> have the following:
>
> NameVirtualHost shortboy.ddns.org
>
> <VirtualHost shortboy.ddns.org>
> ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> DocumentRoot /home/bshort/public_html/sbp
> ServerName shortboy.ddns.org
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost shortboy.ddns.org>
> ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> DocumentRoot /home/bshort/public_html/pp/
> ServerName gottabe.penguinpowered.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> However, this produces the following error:
>
> httpd: [Tue Apr 13 20:47:18 1999] [warn] _default_ VirtualHost overlap on
> port 80, the first has precedence
> httpd: [Tue Apr 13 20:47:18 1999] [warn] NameVirtualHost
> shortboy.ddns.org:80 has no VirtualHosts
>
> And then all virtualhosts go to shortboy.ddns.org
>
> If i replace the shortboy.ddns.org with my IP, then everything works
> fine, but for relatively obvious reasons, I dont want to have to edit the
> conf file every time my IP changes.
>
> Any ideas anyone? :)
>
> Thanks
> Ben
> --
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-
> Ben Short                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Shortboy Productions     http://www.shortboy.ddns.org

Just use the IP-address instead of the resolved name for your NameVirtualHost....

Hope this helps you,
Wouter
==============B587B4103A6862A977862933

begin:vcard
n:Boussemaere;Wouter
tel;fax:+32 50 321 406
tel;home:+32 59 235 869
tel;work:+32 50 321 407
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.duo.be
org:DUO
adr:;;Filips de Goedelaan 7/1;Brugge;;8000;Belgium
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;1
fn:Wouter Boussemaere
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Nichols)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [LILO] Trying to boot, just get "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..."
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 03:39:16 GMT

Note: E-mailed *and* posted.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Alex Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:I just installed Debian 2.1 on my system (Asus P2B, BT-958 SCSI, two
:UW-SCSI hard drives & LS-120 on hda), and I can't seem to upgrade the kernel.
[SNIP]
:When I ran lilo -v on the new kernel, I got a warning that BIOS device 0x82
:might not be accessible.
:
:Then when I tried to boot, as soon as I chose Linux from Boot Manager, I
:got
:
:       L   01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...
:
:ad infinitum.

That's your confirmation that BIOS device 0x82 is indeed not accessible.

I suspect what's happening is that you've configured your BIOS to boot
from the SCSI disks, not the LS-120, so the two SCSI disks get
configured as devices 0x80 and 0x81.  The LILO installer doesn't know
you've done that, and assumes that hda (the LS-120) is the first BIOS
disk.  Perhaps you installed the LS-120 after you did the other Linux
installations, so the confusion never occurred before.

You just need "BIOS=0x80" and "BIOS=0x81" directives in your lilo.conf
file to tell the LILO installer how to address your SCSI disks at boot
time.  The LILO docs will show you the details.

--
Bob Nichols         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP public key 1024/9A9C7955

------------------------------

From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems installing glibc 2.0.7 with SUSE 6.0
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:09:10 -0500

SUSE 6.0 is already glibc-2.0.7.  You should not be trying to install glibc
again.  It will not solve whatever problem you are having that is making you
feel like you need to install glibc-2.0.7.

Tom Veldhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Christophe Basset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Moving Linux...
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 18:08:16 +0000

Hi,

I'm currently running Linux (RH5.1) and win95 on the same hard drive,
but I'm running out of space.

So I decided to buy a new 8.4Go hard drive and reorganize the system
with win95 using all its drive and Linux using all (and only) the new
drive.

I know how to create the new partitions (swap+native) with fdisk, but is
there an easy way to move Linux to the new drive without having to
re-install and re-configure everything?

Thanks,

Christophe Basset

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:05:26 -0700
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing library

Alan Hobesh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to run Java on my Slackware 3.5 (Linux version 2.0.34)system, so
> I started to upgrade to glibc-2.06.
> Everything compiled, but I got the message
> can't load library libz.so.1.
> when the make tried to make the manual.
>
> I thought I might fix the problem by upgrading my texinfo, but on 'make
> install' of that package I go the same error.
>
> In fact the GNU info program gives me the same message!
>
> I've reinstalled all the developer utilities from my Slackware
> installation cdrom, but I still can't find this library.
>
> Anybody know where it lives?
the libgr package.