Linux-Misc Digest #267, Volume #20               Thu, 20 May 99 00:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel (was: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system?)
(Michael Powe)
  Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6??? ("Carol Tse")
  New Linux WebSite (Coder69)
  SETI comparisons ("Carl Hilinski")
  Win NT and Linux dual boot (Phil Olivan)
  Re: New Linux WebSite ("Steve D. Perkins")
  Re: Aliases.db error. (Fred Kuipers)
  Re: Netscape 4.51 suddenly exits  ????????????? (Eric Fierke)
  Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6??? ("Bezalel Geretz")
  Announce Communications low cost server hstoing (Allen Ahoffman)
  Re: New language fonts for Linux using Metafont, LaTex ? (James Kilfiger)
  Using another partition mounter under / (Jason Bond)
  Re: Calendaring (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: Problem with AfterStep (bowman)
  Re: gcc ? (Christopher Browne)
  Re: * * * Mindcraft offer to re-run Linux vs NT test (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Kernel 2.2.3 mystery ("Daniel W. Burke")
  Re: NT the best web platform? ("Hiran Chaudhuri")

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel (was: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system?)
From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 May 1999 01:44:09 -0700

    John> So, does that mean that you have to try lots of alternatives
    John> of Linux to make it work?  A little bit of support from
    John> other FreeBSD people would likely have solved your problem
    John> (modulo unsupported devices.)

It had nothing to do with "unsupported devices" and everything to do
with lousy documentation, actually.

    John> FreeBSD development is oriented towards the users who
    John> contribute, either in the sense of positive criticism, or
    John> code contribution.  Alot of FreeBSD work is embedded, alot
    John> is inter-networking, and some is office-networking.

    >>  Which is a roundabout way of saying it's really a "hacker's
    >> OS" -- but I don't actually think that's true.

    John> That is *simply* not true.  Positive criticism can also
    John> include CDROM purchase :-).  FreeBSD is an OS that is
    John> responsive to the userbase needs, but hasn't been very
    John> focused towards business (office) apps.  Maybe FreeBSD
    John> doesn't believe in fighting a war based upon anti-Microsoft
    John> hate.

Maybe FBSD is simply a victim of the complacency of its users -- who
really don't give a rip whether anyone else uses it ... except when
they see another magazine article about linux.

    John> Linus is the czar of the kernel only.  His decisions don't
    John> necessarily show sensitivity to the needs of at least one
    John> large class of users (out of psuedo-asthetic reasoning.)
    John> Give me a *competent* committee with a structured
    John> organization for an entire OS, over a single kernel hacker's
    John> control -- anyday.

    >>  Right, a committee of which you happen to be a member.  Your
    >> implication that Linus is incompetent is stupid on the face of
    >> it.  But, I know it's just your usual trolling.

    John> Well, it is apparent that you aren't up to date, and I am
    John> NOT a member of any FreeBSD committee.  This is very typical
    John> of the uninformed, and shows that people often have opinions
    John> based upon content free facts.  I am not trolling, but if
    John> what I say hurts your feelings, it is best to say that your
    John> feelings are hurt, rather than rationalizing some kind of
    John> uninformed position.

Snap out of it, Dr. Seuss.  For someone who is not on the core team,
you sure spend a lot of time on newsgroups talking like someone who
is.  And the core team <is> a committee, whether you call it by that
name or not.

    >>  I actually have nothing against FBSD.  It happens not to be my
    >> OS.  And I think a lot of so-called linux advocates are
    >> immature morons.  But I also think that most of the FBSD users
    >> I've encountered -- in magazines and online -- are smug Silicon
    >> Valley yuppies whose class prejudice is most clearly brought
    >> out when they come into contact with a T-shirted linux user.

    John> Firstly, I am not a silicon valley yuppie.  Seems that there
    John> is class prejudice somewhere, but it is best to look at
    John> where it really is.  Note also that it seems that a Linux
    John> T-shirt is from the same kind who in previous generations
    John> would have worn Spock-ears.  It is like seeing the same
    John> thing over and over again.  From generation to generation,
    John> there are so many revolutions alledged to be based upon
    John> innovation and revolution, and are really sheep being
    John> managed by a sheepdog.

The only group showing passive, sheeplike behavior seems to be the
users of an OS with a "daemon" for a mascot.  Perhaps the demonic
character is the expression of wishful thinking.

    >>  In large part, I think that's because you're just too shirty
    >> to get out and associate with the "masses."

    John> I don't associate with trekies, bikers, criminals and other
    John> strange groups.  That doesn't mean that they are bad, but
    John> there seems to be an excess of those classes of people
    John> lately.  It is probably indicative of recent societal
    John> problems.

    John> Most of the "masses" that I have known are quite down to
    John> earth, but the wierdos do tend to have a myopic view of

Perhaps you need to get out more.  You come across as about as
non-"down-to-earth" as anyone can get without needing to be tethered.

mp

- --
powered by GNU/linux since Sept 1997                 Penguin spoken here
           [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.trollope.org
Michael Powe                                        Portland, Oregon USA
      "We plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now."

------------------------------

From: "Carol Tse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: URGENT: How to download Red Hat 6???
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 10:17:17 +0800

=======_NextPart_000_0076_01BEA2A9.F026CD00

Try to turn off the option "Resolve links" in the pull-down menu "FTP" =
-> "Settings" -> "Options" -> "General"

Regards,
Carol
    Hawke =BC=B6=BCg=A9=F3=A4=E5=B3=B9 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
    Thats a known bug in cuteftp.=20
    In fact, a number of ftp clients seem to do this.=20
    if you happen to have a small linux copy on hand, try using it with =
some=20
    of the built in programs (like gftp or ncftp). these generally will=20
    keep the link file and allow you to DL the dir structure intact.=20
    Hawke=20

    Kelson Cheng wrote:=20

        Hey! Anyone downloads RedHat 6 from its ftp site?=20
        What do you use to download it?=20
        I'm using cuteFTP and it keeps resolving those symbolic links =
and keep=20
        repeating downloading the same files a couple times!!!=20
        Eg. 'cat' is a link in usr/bin, but it keeps resolving its =
location and=20
        download the real 'cat' program!!=20
        Can anyone help me?? Thanks=20
        Kelson

--=20

=3DNOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE BULK E-MAILING THIS =
ADDRESS=3D
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, p.227, any and =
all
non-solicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.  Anyone who sends
unsolicited commercial e-mail to this account will be charged a $500
proofreading fee.  Consider this official notification.  Failure to =
abide
by this will result in legal action.
For a complete summary of this Legislation see

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
     =20

=======_NextPart_000_0076_01BEA2A9.F026CD00

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Dbig5 =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 =
transitional//en">
</HEAD>
<BODY aLink=3D#000088 bgColor=3D#ffffff link=3D#0000ff text=3D#000000 =
vLink=3D#ff0000>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>Try to turn off the option =
&quot;Resolve=20
links&quot; in the pull-down menu &quot;FTP&quot; -&gt; =
&quot;Settings&quot;=20
-&gt; &quot;Options&quot; -&gt; &quot;General&quot;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DVerdana size=3D2>Carol</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV>Hawke<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =BC=B6=BCg=A9=F3=A4=E5=B3=B9 &lt;<A =

    =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]=
</A>&gt;...</DIV>Thats=20
    a known bug in cuteftp. <BR>In fact, a number of ftp clients seem to =
do=20
    this. <BR>if you happen to have a small linux copy on hand, try =
using it=20
    with some <BR>of the built in programs (like gftp or ncftp). these =
generally=20
    will <BR>keep the link file and allow you to DL the dir structure =
intact.=20
    <P>Hawke=20
    <P>Kelson Cheng wrote:=20
    <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE =3D CITE>Hey! Anyone downloads RedHat 6 from its =
ftp=20
        site? <BR>What do you use to download it? <BR>I'm using cuteFTP =
and it=20
        keeps resolving those symbolic links and keep <BR>repeating =
downloading=20
        the same files a couple times!!! <BR>Eg. 'cat' is a link in =
usr/bin, but=20
        it keeps resolving its location and <BR>download the real 'cat'=20
        program!! <BR>Can anyone help me?? Thanks=20
        <P>Kelson</P></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE>--&nbsp;

=3DNOTICE TO BULK E-MAILERS PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE BULK E-MAILING THIS =
ADDRESS=3D
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, p.227, any and =
all
non-solicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a
download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.&nbsp; Anyone who =
sends
unsolicited commercial e-mail to this account will be charged a $500
proofreading fee.&nbsp; Consider this official notification.&nbsp; =
Failure to abide
by this will result in legal action.
For a complete summary of this Legislation see

<A =
href=3D"http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D">http:/=
/thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D</A></PRE>&nbsp;=20
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Coder69)
Subject: New Linux WebSite
Date: 20 May 1999 02:55:31 GMT

Liquid Net Online is proud to present a preview version of their new Linux
Website.
If you are interested in viewing it, please contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
   - Liquid Net Team

------------------------------

From: "Carl Hilinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SETI comparisons
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 22:27:35 -0400

For those of you who don't know, you can participate in the Search for
Extraterrestrial Intelligence (God knows you won't find any of that around
here) by going to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. What you get is a
107-second chunk of space chatter for your computer to chomp on while it's
not working for you.

It's quite an eye-opener as related to processors and computing power. My
350PII with 64mb took 43 hours to work on this running Win98. My Linux box,
running a Cyrix 233MMX with 64mb, took only 23 hours to do its chunk.

I'm curious if anyone else is running this and what kind of results they are
seeing.

ch

------------------------------

From: Phil Olivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Win NT and Linux dual boot
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:02:17 GMT

Hello,

    I have installed Windows NT 4.0 workstation and Redhat Linux 5.2
but the first boot after Linux installation,  the system hanged after
showing a display of "LIL".....   Any idea why?  E-mail me the solution
at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thank you

                                                                Phil

------------------------------

From: "Steve D. Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Linux WebSite
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 23:27:31 -0400

Oh jeeze... now we're actually supposed to SIGN UP for spam intentionally?!?
How lame do these guys get?

Steve

------------------------------

From: Fred Kuipers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aliases.db error.
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:27:12 GMT

After a bunch of tinkering around, I found the newaliases command (which
doesn't work!! the symlink seems to be broken.  After snooping in the
manpage, I found that newaliases = sendmail -bi.  How can I make that
link to work again???

FK

------------------------------

From: Eric Fierke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.51 suddenly exits  ?????????????
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 10:04:31 -0400

This is going to sound silly - disable java and javascript.  Personally,
I would say that it's more trouble than its worth with netscape, and most
webpages don't specifically require it.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Bezalel Geretz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:50:39 -0400

Where can I Download the ISO9660 from?

brian moore wrote in message ...
>On Tue, 18 May 1999 04:34:19 GMT,
> Kelson Cheng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hey! Anyone downloads RedHat 6 from its ftp site?
>> What do you use to download it?
>> I'm using cuteFTP and it keeps resolving those symbolic links and keep
>> repeating downloading the same files a couple times!!!
>> Eg. 'cat' is a link in usr/bin, but it keeps resolving its location and
>> download the real 'cat' program!!
>> Can anyone help me?? Thanks
>
>Yes: either download the iso9660 image or spend the $2 on a CD.
>
>--
>Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
>      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach
>      Usenet Vandal               |  is higher up on the evolutionary
chain."
>      Netscum, Bane of Elves.                 Peter Olson, Delphi
Postmaster

------------------------------

From: Allen Ahoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Announce Communications low cost server hstoing
Date: 20 May 1999 02:29:08 GMT

Please see http://announce.com for more information if you need to place
your server on the net at reasonable rates.

We also do leased servers, lease-to-own, and straight server sales if
needed.

We are a Linux friendly (prefered) shop.

| Announce communications Inc. |     voice: 301-731-5786              |
| 5004 West Lanham Dr.          |    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Hyattsville, MD 20784         |    http:  www.announce.com          |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Kilfiger)
Crossposted-To: comp.text.tex,comp.os.linux.develop
Subject: Re: New language fonts for Linux using Metafont, LaTex ?
Date: 20 May 1999 01:46:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bijendra Singh wrote:
>Hi,
>I want to create new language fonts ( Indian language Hindi) for Linux.
>Someone suggested that I can use Latex or Metafont for this.
>  Can someone please let me know :
>   (1) LaTex or Metafont, which one is used for creating new fonts ?
>         Are they available free ?

Metafont is the application for creating fonts.  It's not a graphical
font editor, rather a programming language for describing fonts.
You will want to read the Metafont book.

(La)TeX can typeset these fonts, to create beautiful documents.

>  (2) Can the newly created fonts be used by any X-appluication ?
>        Are there utilities which can be used to convert these fonts to
>        other standards like TrueType, PostScript, etc ?

Sort of, metafont generates a bitmap font, which can easily be converted
to other bitmap formats (in particular to bdf).  Converting to
postscript (type1) is harder.  Metafog is said to be the best converter,
but it's commercial.  Converting to type 3 can be done, there's a perl
script mf2pt3, but type 3 cannot be used by X.

You may be interested in the existing nagari metafonts, which can be
found at CTAN:/language/devanagari/distrib/
and the xdvng fonts in postscript and type 1 from the Jtrans page:
http://www.sibal.com/sandeep/jtrans/

Good luck with your font creation!
        James

------------------------------

From: Jason Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using another partition mounter under /
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:38:58 -0700

When I installed Linux (as a complete newbie...now I am a veteran
newbie) I put /, /usr, /home, basically everything but the swap
partition on a single partition.  Now I have another ext2 partition on
the same drive that I would like to use with Linux.  My question is, how
do I use this new partition to take some of the load off the other
partition?  The problem is that most programs like to install themselves
in pre-defined places.  So would I do something like mount the new
partition under a given place (/d2 say) and then move all the files from
the directory I would like to move (/home say) to this new directory
(/d2), and make a (hard?, soft?) symbolic link from /home to this new
directory (/d2)?  Also, which directories make the best candidates for
this procedure (if it makes sense at all)?  Thanks kindly for listening
to my ramble,

  Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: Calendaring
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:30:00 GMT

On 19 May 1999 05:54:50 GMT, Cameron Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>In article <N6o03.11012$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Tue, 18 May 1999 10:36:30 -0600, Stan Rock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I need to know if there is an application on Linux that would allow calendar
>>>sharing.  I have a bunch of users running Windows 95/98 using Outlook 97.
>>
>>Plan has been doing this for a goodly five years;
>
>Great tease.  How is one supposed to look up a computer program named "plan"?

It's a standard/official package with Debian, as it is with TurboLinux,
SuSE, and Caldera OpenLinux.  According to http://rpmfind.net, it's part of
the "contributed" packages for Red Hat.

>>I expect that Ical
>>does the same, and reasonably like for the same scope of timeperiod.
>
>Hotbot finds Interactive Collections Availability List
>(some kind of botany index).  And an IETF draft about calsch-ical,
>and an Inventory Calendar.  Mostly dead links.
>One at a school called Loramie looks promising, says it's an Ical Tutorial,
>but it's only a picture of a calendar with all links password protected.

In contrast with "plan," Ical is one of the packages included with the main
Red Hat distribution, as well as with *many* other distributions.

If you have a CD with Linux on it, it is entirely likely that both packages
are there.
-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: bowman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with AfterStep
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 20:25:25 -0600

dh wrote:

> AfterStep instead of fvwm. AfterStep now doesn't work - how do I
> switch back to fvwm - using only bash shell?

just edit your .xinitrc file.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: gcc ?
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:01:53 GMT

On 19 May 1999 11:06:09 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there a way to allow #defines to start with a number,
>i.e. #define 100_xxx 100
>gcc 2.7.2.3 chokes on this where it used to just about a warning...
>For reasons I rather not go into, I like to maintain compatability
>with 2.7.2.1 which had this behavior

Have you considered the possibility of verifying that your code
maintains compatibility with The C Language?

100_xxx certainly sounds like something that's not a properly defined
identifier, and for GCC to move, over time, towards removing support for
things that are downright errors, doesn't sound to me like a bad
thing...
--
"The best design is not predicated on how brain-dead you can be and
still operate it." -- David C. Wright

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: * * * Mindcraft offer to re-run Linux vs NT test
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:02:14 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999 18:33:40 GMT, Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 19 May 1999 18:05:23 GMT, Paul Gregg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why Red Hat? How does their commercial success make them the "Linux Community"?
>>[snip]
>>
>>Basically because RedHat has the resource to put to it.  When the benchmarks
>>were released Mindcraft claimed that noone in Redhat would help them with
>>tuning. RedHat responded saying that had it come through the proper channels
>>then they would have assisted in the Tuning of the Redhat box.
>
>I use a Slackware distribution. Does that mean that I don't belong to the
>"Linux Community"? I'm glad that Red Hat offered support for the product that
>they sold, but that doesn't make them the sole representative of the "Linux
>Community" any more than S.U.S.E or Slackware or Debian or Caldera.

By the same token, they are not any *less* representative of the "Linux
Community" than SuSE, Patrick Volkerding, Debian, or Caldera.
("Slackware" is software, and not an entity that may be recognized as a
person for legal purposes, which is why I consciously omit it from the
list.)

>I agree that Mindcraft could have received service through Red Hat (yes, I did
>know that Mindcraft used a Red Hat release, and was entitled to such service),
>but that doesnt mean that Red Hat is the exclusive voice of the "Linux Community".
>They are a bookstore selling a popular book, not the author of the book.

Did anybody else claim that Red Hat was any sort of "exclusive voice"?

*YOU* are the one promoting the notion that people think in that
direction.

>>So, if you knew all the facts before blowing your crap (true information,
>>but crap nonetheless) all over the place then you may have posted otherwise.
>
>Apparently, you resort to name-calling when you can't muster a real argument.
>Pity.

It appears that you're doing much the same thing.

>>It is in the interests of the Linux "Community" to have the test rerun to
>>prevent Microsoft further exploiting the first results.
>
>Yes, I agree. Who is the authoritative voice of the "Linux Community" who
>will approve of the test? And who is the authoritative voice of the "Apache
>Community" who will also approve the test?

There doesn't exist such a voice; that is one of the merits (and
demerits) of the notion of Decentralized Development.

Note that the Mindcraft study is quite peculiar from the perspective of
the way computing industry benchmarks are usually done; they are
normally *not* done solely with software vendor involvement, but are
usually driven by hardware vendors.

Benchmarks are usually used to sell hardware, and thus normally are
sponsored by hardware vendors, and administered by hardware vendors.
Linux is starting to have such vendors, VA Research being the most
heavily-funded of Linux-specific vendors.

I would, quite frankly, prefer that it not be software vendors "playing
games," but rather that it be a hardware vendor doing the job.
--
"The best design is not predicated on how brain-dead you can be and
still operate it." -- David C. Wright
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
From: "Daniel W. Burke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.3 mystery
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 03:09:12 GMT

On Wed, 19 May 1999, &=B5=B6=9F=9E=9D=DE=E6=C4~Chameleon~&=B5=B6=9F=9E=9D=
=DE=E6=C4 wrote:

> > I recently upgraded from kernel 2.0.36 to 2.2.3. I have the following
> >questions:
> >
> >2) I've changed the symbolic link /dev/mouse from /dev/cua0 to
> >/dev/ttyS0. The permissions are different for cua0 and ttyS0;
> >cua0:  crwxrw---- (I think)
> >ttyS0: crwxr--r--
> >Should I change the permissions for ttyS0? Why/Why not?

> 2) Originally cua? was specific to modems, i think.  Some distribution
> have changed this.
>=20
> Why did you change to ttyS0 if it worked with cua0?  You have a serial
> mouse?
>=20
> If it works don't fix it.

I remember reading a doc some time ago, before 2.2.0 was released, that tal=
ked
about cua? becoming obsolete, to be replaced by ttyS? in the later 2.1.x
kernels.  That's why the newer distributions with a 2.2.x kernel changed
to ttyS? for serial devices (modems, as well as mice, among other things
I'm sure)...

Of course, I could be wrong, it was several months to a year ago... but I
seem to remember it was ment to be a stepping stone towards posix complianc=
e.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: "Hiran Chaudhuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:13:11 GMT

Chad Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: =
DOB03.33345$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>=20
> Do-Hoon Kwon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > \begin{sarcasm}
> > In a country where making/saving money is of the utmost importance,
> > why isn't there a fair comparison like this?
> > \end{sarcasm}
> >
> > 1. Several groups of experts are gathered, one group per platform.
> > 2. Web performance test methods are devised and agreed on.
> > 3. Network environment in which the test will be performed is agreed =
on.
> > 4. Each party is given the same budget and timeframe. Somthing like
> >    10(or even 100?) grand and one month.
> > 5. Each group starts from absolute nothing other than electricity.
> > 5. When the time is up, perform the test.
> 5c. Better if you have the groups switch platforms too. Make the =
UNIX's work
> on NT and The NT's work on UNIX.

That would perhaps show how easy it is to get into the specified system. =
But what if those experts want to show "their" system is the better one? =
Tehy'd never really try to tune the other system.

Hiran