From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: car mp3 player
Date: 25 May 1999 11:28:45 -0400

Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: if you know what Voltage and current requirements you have, let me know
: and I'll paw through their app-notes at work and see if they have a simple
: to build solution.
:  (I assume you need +12V, +5V and -5V, but the current draw makes a diff.
: you could check the ratings of whatever was the original powersupply.
: Absent that avenue, an educate guess :)

Chances are that you can ditch the -5V and the -12V, they are
virtually unused nowadays.  A typical 200W power supply has the
following maximum current draws.  The voltage of the power supply
should not drift more than +-5%.

        -5v     .3A
        -12v    .3A
        +12v     8A
        +5v      20A

Eric

From: Charles Leslie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipportfw or ipautofw with Netmeeting
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 04:53:24 GMT

Please post your replies.  I'm in the same boat.

thanks
-charles ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [?] lint for Linux
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:46:07 GMT

Scott Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 1999 14:17:00 -0500, Francisco Cribari
>   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Is there a version of  lint  for Linux? (I am using Red Hat Linux
>>6.0). Thanks. FC.

> From what I've read, gcc with all the warnings and stuff enabled is better
> than most lints -- which is why there don't seem to be too many lints out
> there anymore.

no. gcc doesn't tell you that you didn't use a function in one of your
modules.  (as for -Wall being adequate - it's not even as good as lint).

#!/bin/sh
# these are my normal development-options
OPTS="-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wshadow -Wconversion"
gcc $OPTS "$@"

(-ansi is of limited usefulness, since it's dependent on having a correct
set of header files ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Pelletier)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!!
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 05:53:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Damerell) écrivait/wrote:

>Well, Debian does speak in terms more or less like this; create
>partitions, make filesystems, pick mount points. Have you ever installed
>it?

No. But that doesn't seem any different from other installations. You
have to "pick a mount point" using Redhat or Suse just the same. What
I'm talking about is checking what appears in /dev, opening manually
the mtab, fstab /etc/rc files, modifying them, mounting, umounting,
etc. all at the prompt without any interface, with clean neat
instructions.

>>No. I don't care about the version numbers but about the kernel and
>>librairies installed.
>>A friend told me yesterday that Debian's 2.1 has been on freeze since
>>November and that it is probably as stable as Redhat 6.0 by now...
>>though it might not offer as many, how should I put it... novelties.
>
>This is dramatically inaccurate, I'm afraid. 2.1 moved from 'frozen' to
>'stable' in March; 2.2 should be frozen pretty soon now.

Oups! I guess I got this wrong. Usually, if the second figure is odd,
it's a development version. How come it's not the case with Debian?

> I haven't yet
>looked at RedHat 6, but if it's of the same quality as 5.0, I imagine that
>Debian 2.2 is already more stable, let alone 2.1.

If I ever stay with Linux, I'll give Debian a try, but I'll wait for
version 2.2. My problem, as I tried to explain, is I'm finding the
learning curve quite steep and I'm not as much in a mood for a trial
and error trip as I used to be in the good old DOS times when I was
writing slick batch files, sending outputs of "find" to files,
concatenating files, etc., and checking if it all would work out.
At my age, with a system as complex as Linux, I want to get up and
running  as efficiently as possible. (Do some work with the machine,
else than administering it, you know.)

I don't believe this autoinstall craze got us anywhere in this
direction. I feel in front of KDE or fvwm as a newcomer to Windows 95
who just hopes everything's going to be fine because otherwise, he'd
be completely lost. I've had enough of picking information in man
pages + Howtos + faqs + installation manuals + wherever, and trying to
figure out how all this fits together. I want a coherent view, all at
the same place. And the best "place" is, while installing, having
instructions in a top screen in Emacs, and the prompt or an editor in
the bottom screen.

I don't care whether it would take 3 hours, 3 days or 3 weeks
installing my system this way. I think every minute spent bypassing
the stupid autoinstall would be worthwhile.

I want to be told that mtab means "table of mounted devices". I want
to know what's all that stuff in the passwd file, why important files
are in a directory named /etc, where's the file for foreign keyboards
at the prompt or in X, shell scripts, what's the classic file system
for a single user system, a multi-user system, an ISP system, etc.

ALL THIS EXPLAINED ON MULTIPLE LEVELS OF DIFFICULTY THROUGH HTML
LINKS. (See what I mean? Don't put job control on the first level.) I
don't think it's possible to write a good paper book for everyone:
you'd have to write one for every individual for every different stage
of its apprenticeship. And, by the way, I don't think it's absolutely
necessary at this stage to write about the history of Unix-Linux, the
lifes and times of Torvalds and Stallman and how to navigate in Emacs
with the CTRL key instead of the arrows.

Some people have the technical knowledge to write this. Some have the
skill to organize the material. (Unfortunately, it seems both
aptitudes are rarely found in one individual.) Those people should get
together asap, put out a first essay and check how beginners can learn
from their work. I don't think they'd loose their time either.

There are way to many beginners looking for answers to basic
questions. The mere thought of this going on for eons puts me on a
depressive mood and makes me feel like going back to Windows.

>>"Factor of 3"?  I've got a hard time evaluating this.
>
>I don't understand the problem. Red Hat i386 is c. 500Mb of binaries;
>Debian is c. 1,500Mb.

What more do you get?

GP

P.S.: Please forward to all Debian geeks, just in case a few would
think it makes sense.

------------------------------

From: Timothy Litwiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: new 2.2.5 Kernel
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:00:23 -0500

I had similar problems

I had to move my HP cd-rw to master and the cdrom to slave to make it
work
also to be able to use cdrecord you have to disable eide cdrom support in
the kernel and enable scsi emulation and generic scsi support.  there was
also a line to add to lilo.conf ??? hmmm why can't I think of it now.

------------------------------

From: Yue Huang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux won't boot with network card
Date: 26 May 1999 04:12:59 GMT

I have setup a few linux boxes (Slackware) without problem. Now I got an old
machine and have trouble to install linux. This is a 386sx with 8 meg ram
and 128 meg HD. without an ISA network card (ne2000 clone), I can use
bootdisk, bare.i, to boot the machine with linux. However, it hangs during
booting if I put an NIC ne2000 clone in the box.  The NIC works well in all
other 5 linux boxes and also in the 386sx under DOS.  I have tried different
 settings of I/O address and IRQ, and had no success.

Linux hangs when it detected the HD, i.e.
 hda: QUANTUM ELS127A, 122 MB w/32kB Cache, CHS=919/16/17

Could someone to help me on this problem? Linux is not very useful without
an NIC in the box.

Thank you,

yue

------------------------------

From: "C Clayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.roadrunner,comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Re: Road Runner Customer User Agreement Violation - Using Alternative
Operating Systems
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 01:57:20 -0400

TWC has a problem supporting any os. Point in case: After asking which
OS/browser  I use (95 and OE4.1) I was sent to the national help desk 3
times just to get an additional IP address for my other pc. Also, that is
not a lack of training, that is a lack of caring about anything.

Over all though everything (so far) seems to be running smoothly. OOPS !!
Now I did it. Something is going to get messed up on their end now. :-)

Chuck

news:xDH23.2430$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "G. Hugh SONG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: NFS with Redhat 6 server and clients
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 14:56:22 +0900

Jon Paterson wrote:

> I am having a frustrating problem with a Redhat 6 server that was
> previously a redhat 5.2 server rebuilt.
>
> I have a Linux client (redhat 6.0 also) that is trying to connect to the
> server and is always getting the "permission denied" message.
>
> There is nothing wrong with the exports file, I have even deleted it and
> done the configuration through Linuxconf, and the same error exists.
>
> I think that it may have something to do with Knfsd, but am not sure
> where to look.
>
> can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
>
> regards,
>
> Jon Paterson

I am having the same problem on both systems of Intel/Linux and
Alpha/Linux.  The error message reads as

fh_verify: ///permission failure, acc=3 error=13

and something similar but related to nfs-something.

I guess that it is not related to RedHat6.0.  In my case,
it appears that it is related to the recent kernels, 2.2.8 and
2.2.9.  It appears that it does no harm on the system.  But,
certainly, it makes me quite nervous.

Unfortunately, I don't know more than that.

G. Hugh Song

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilles Pelletier)
Subject: Re: Bart or Lisa could keep the family running Linux
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 04:22:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) écrivait/wrote:

>> Indeed! And I'm glad to take your word for it: now I can say I know
>> one of those rare birds. Still 99,999 to find. That's a lot.
>
>You can find me on that list as well.

99,998.

>I personally know several other people who have as much to do with
>Windows as I.  They don't seem very hard to find and it's not like I
>live in a big city.

Linuxberg?

>Today's teens are tomorrow's Linux users.

Sure! The whiz kids! They learn assembler playing Dragons and
Dungeons!

GP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: The sound quality of esd
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 05:27:43 GMT

I tried esd on RH6.0, everything is quite well except for the

sound quality. There are a lot of ticks and stoppages when I play

music. It is quite good that the sounds from various programs

are mixed but what good is it when the sound quality is bad!

What is the consensus about the sound quality of esd? can I make

it run with higher priority?

Thanks in advance.

Sung-Ryul Kim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: advance power management
Date: 26 May 1999 02:20:29 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul D. Pandian wrote:
> I am using RedHat 5.2 with kernel version 2.0.36. I configure it and ensure
> that advance power management is selected, together with the option for
> power off at shutdown selected as well. All is fine now. The system
> dutifully shuts down and automatically power offs when asked to. (Saves time
> hanging around waiting for all services to terminate, and then having
> manually to turn the power off.)
>
> Okay: Question. I upgraded the kernel to 2.2.0 (and tried all the rest
> upwards too inlcuding the latest 2.3.3). System cannot shutdown. Even when I
> selected the APM options under kernel configuration and compilation.
>
> What do I do ?

Read Documentation/Configure.help and Documentation/Changes
(search for "halt").

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 01:15:04 -0400
From: Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting Started with Linux

Chaz7perx wrote:

> Right now my 486 boots to DOS, but things are screwed up. I understand Linux is
> a free download.

it is
> 1. Where do I download it, and How do I get my machine to recognize Linux
> instead of DOS/Windows?

to download it would take a while...its better to just order a CD for $3
and if u ever need to reinstall then its alrady on cd and u wont have to
download it again. U can also buy a commerical version for like $50
which gives u tech support, and a manual plus some commerical software
like Wordperfect 8 and others.

U install LILO on your master boot record or  use a floppy disk and you
boot from that. Using LILO on either the hard drive or floppy will let u
choose which OS u want to boot in. If you are only going to have Linux
on the computer u wont need to even worry about LILO since its only used
for booting into more than one OS.
> Thanks
>
> Chaz

Brandon
--

"Bill Gates?, I dont know any Bill Gates.  Oh, you mean 'by putting
every conceivable

                  http://web.mountain.net/~brandon/main.htm
     For Beginners in Linux, Emulation, Midis, Playstation Info, and
Virii.

------------------------------

From: "Tewpin Andrey (ôÀÐÉÎ áÎÄÒÅÊ)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.realtime,comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Linux vs. NT performance / Mindcraft results
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 11:07:51 +0400

Armin Steinhoff  wrote<7ief08$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ...
>In article <7ie85g$jm3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tewpin says...
>>1. In comp.arch.embedded it isn't so interesting...
>
>Nothing heard about 'embedded NT' ?  ... embedded LINUX ??

...embedded NT _SERVER_? ......embedded Linux _SERVER_? ...

at all - embedded _SERVER_? (... well... but it may be)

...embedded, not embedded... If we say 'server' (and "embedded" too),
don't wait echo "nt nt nt " or "linux linux linux", we'll hear another.

This both above for "clever and nice" intrface to user, no more...

>Armin

    At7

------------------------------

From: Sam Steingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to kill a dead process?
Date: 25 May 1999 17:03:36 -0400

 >> It's state is "D" (uninterruptable sleep) so kill isn't going to
 >> have any effect on it so there probably isn't any way to kill it.

sorry - I didn't mention that I did try killing it, to no avail (I
wouldn't post then, right? :-)

is there a way to destroy a process other than by kill(1)?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.goems.com/~sds) running RedHat6.0 GNU/Linux
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,

------------------------------

From: Sean Yamamoto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: try unzip
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 06:46:54 +0000

Kevin Scott wrote:

> Is anyone aware of a utility for linux which understands ".zip" files?
> It would be awfully convienent if I could unzip files created by Winzip
> (in WinX environment of course) in linux.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kevin

Try http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip for information. Since I'm
running Red Hat, I just download the RPM from one of the Red Hat
mirror ftp sites. It's a command line utility, but I find that
really convenient.

Here's the truncated output from man unzip.

UNZIP(1L)                                               UNZIP(1L)

NAME
       unzip  -  list, test and extract compressed files in a ZIP
       archive

SYNOPSIS
       unzip    [-Z]    [-cflptuvz[abjnoqsCLMVX$]]     file[.zip]
       [file(s) ...]  [-x xfile(s) ...] [-d exdir]

DESCRIPTION
       unzip  will  list,  test,  or  extract  files  from  a ZIP
       archive, commonly found on MS-DOS  systems.   The  default
       behavior  (with no options) is to extract into the current
       directory (and subdirectories below it) all files from the
       specified ZIP archive.  A companion program, zip(1L), cre-
       ates ZIP  archives;  both  programs  are  compatible  with
       archives created by PKWARE's PKZIP and PKUNZIP for MS-DOS,
       but in many cases the program options or default behaviors
       differ.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Nichols)
Subject: Re: Tape Backup causing lockup
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 03:51:35 GMT

In article <7ie5t2$o1e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kevin Turnquist  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:   I'm experiencing strange tape drive behavior on one of my machines.
:   It doesn't seem to matter which kernel is involved, but when the tape
:gets to backing up anything in the /lib directory, the machine locks
:instantly.  No time for an error message on screen or in logs...

Odds are it's not /lib but /proc/kcore that's causing the lockup.
You should not be backing up /proc.  Some machines have memory mapped
I/O addresses that will cause a lockup if you read from that address
without doing the proper preparation.

--
Bob Nichols         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP public key 1024/9A9C7955

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: Crontab?
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 15:32:10 +1000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Are the fields for crontab documented anywhere? I've looked. Any pointer
> would be great.
>
>       Thanks
>       Nick

An Excellent "HOWTO" for crontab I have found can be located at:
http://bhcom.com/faq/crontab.htm

hope this helps
Ben
Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*