From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swap file limit? (Still not working even with small swap)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:00:07 +0000

So now could some one explain to me why even after doing multiple
low-level formats and setting the swap space to under 100MB and only
having four partitions each rather small, that I still am unable to have
DiskDruid and/or fdisk format the swap partition?  Even though I have set
everything quite low, it is still not recognizing the swap partition.  I
have even downloaded the latest boot.img from off the RedHat site and no
luck.
Any help would be much appreciated.  Though I can reboot the machine, I'd
like to be able to enable the swap.
Sie koennen mich entweder auf Deutsch oder auf Englisch antworten, denn
ich verstehe beides.
Thanks.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

------------------------------

From: "Alan W. Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: C-compiling error
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 00:59:55 -0500

Can anyone suggest what I should change/configure so that after I
download any tar.gz file and uncompress it, I can install it.  I type
configure and below is as far as I can get.  I am running RedHat 6.0
with egcs-1.1.2-12 installed from the RedHat cdrom.

checking for a BSD compatible install...
/usr/bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for a C-Compiler...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration
problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

------------------------------

From: Ken Ramey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: JIT Compiler "Not Found"
Date: 10 Jun 1999 05:31:22 GMT

Thanks to the information posted to this forum, I have managed to get the
Java 1.2 development kit "mostly" working on my Redhat 5.2 system.
However, when running any Java classes, I get a warning message, saying
that the default jit cannot be found, even though it is in the "jre" tree
of the installation directory.  The result, of course, is that the code is
run interpreted and is as slow as molasses, even on a 300Mhz/PII system.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to remedy this situation, I would be
most grateful.

Thanks.

Ken

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "georg haber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cannot mount floppy
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 21:04:36 +0200

Do you have msdos fs support in your kernel?

try mount /dev/fd0 /floppy. Normally it checks the filesystem itself.

Tom

mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Ted Sikora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Java run well on Linux?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:22:30 GMT

Pokka wrote:

> Sorry, the fact is: Java is as crappy as (if not more crappy than) Windoze.
> If you ever tried writing an application on Java, you'll notice that its
> performance is worse than the worst VB program you can write.

That's totally not true. I use both OS/2 Warp and Linux/FreeBSD
for Java development. The lastest versions 1.1.7-1a and 1.1.8 for
FreeBSD are excellent. Like all things it's performance depends on your
platforms setup. I use 128MB/256MB Swap and the only java
setting I use are in /etc/profile as described below.

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
export SWING_HOME=/usr/local/swing
(add /usr/local/java/bin to $PATH)

Swing-1.1 also runs excellent under Slackware and FreeBSD3.2.
(Note: I use libc(5.4.46) under Linux and Metrolink Motif 2.1)
I have had bad luck with glibc in general. I am waiting till
2.1 on Slackware then you will know it is stable.

TowerJ purports to be faster than OS/2 Warp 4.0 (which is the
top performing Java platform) on Linux. I am currently testing
it. It seems most promising.

--
Ted Sikora
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Leon Stringer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "javac" Dumping Core
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:08:20 +0100

When I run "javac" from the Linux port of JDK 1.1.5 it crashes (see
below). It makes no difference if I call it with parameters or not.
Running "java" works fine.

I obtained the JDK from the RedHat 5.1 CD. I am using RedHat 5.1.
"uname" reports my kernel as 2.0.34.

Advice and assistance gratefully received.

Leon...
---
The resulting message when I type "javac" is as follows:
SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation

Full thread dump:
Monitor Cache Dump:
Registered Monitor Dump:
    Monitor IO lock: <unowned>
    Child death monitor: <unowned>
    Event monitor: <unowned>
    I/O monitor: <unowned>
    Alarm monitor: <unowned>
    Monitor registry: <unowned>
Thread Alarm Q:

(Hardware: PII 450, 128MB RAM, 6GB HD).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] aring.no spam.my (Mohd H Misnan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.help
Subject: Re: ISO image of LinuxPPC??
Date: 9 Jun 1999 11:50:27 GMT

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:12:50 GMT, Raja Wurttemberg wrote:
>Does anyone know of an ftp site that has an ISO or raw image of the
>LinuxPPC CD? I've found lots of RedHat 6.0 for i386 ISO images but
>none for the Mac. Arrghhh! Any information provided would be
>appreciated.

I'm also interested on this too.

--
|Mohd Hamid Misnan       |[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |i|
|iMac/233 RevB+MacOS 8.6 |http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/      |M|

------------------------------

From: johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lilo alternative
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:39:47 -0700

About 2 years ago I downloaded a multi-boot utility that was quite
neat.  Now I've multi-patitioned my machine again, and I was searching
for the same one, but can't find it anywhere.  I cannot remember the
name, or where I downloaded it from.  (I just know it was the author's
home page, not a commercial site.)  I hope someone recognises it, and
can tell me where I can find it.

It completely fits into the MBR.
It has 5 or 6 (maybe more) MBR images, for different purposes, e.g.
one to boot the last OS that was loaded,
one to always boot the same one
one with short descriptions, and more options,
one with longer descriptions, but fewer options, and more...can't
remember all

It was able to go to the next hard drive and read the partition table
for that one too, and boot any bootable OS'es on hdb/c/d too.

It was customisable, you can enter your own description for each
bootable partition, select the time before it automatically boots the
default OS.

I'd appreciate it if anybody that knows where I can find this one again
can let me know

Thanks in advance
Johan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: What tools are there for syslog analysis?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:16:02 GMT

On Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:46:28 +0100, Phil Berry wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have been looking through my syslog files, using the standard
> Unix analysis tools (grep, sed, awk, etc). Whilst these let me
> pull out much information quite quickly the though occured to
> me are there any general syslog analysis tools out there that
> you can run to provide these sorts of statistics? HTML-output
> would also be nice, but of course that is secondary :).
> [ ... ]

You might want to have a look at logcheck, Works Fine For Me[tm]:

   http://www.psionic.com/abacus/logcheck/

HTH,
Thomas
--
=---        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        ---=
=--   "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw." M.C.   --=

------------------------------

From: "Robert Zanatta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 06:28:35 GMT

John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Chad Mulligan wrote:
>
> > John Garrison wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > >Eugene O'Neil wrote:
> > >
> > This is only true, in upgrade type installations.  installing on a
blank
> > hard drive you will not have DOS, you won't even have the option to
boot to
> > DOS.  Just because the FS used was FAT doesn't make it DOS.
> >

> Windows is started from the DOS program Win.com. If it is started from
another
> OS then it is not as OS. DOS is in blank hard drive installs. DOS 7.0 is
new to

Wrong.  Once control is passed on to any code, and it takes control of the
system and it's functionality (memory allocation, I/O, etc.), then it is an
OS.  Just because it can pass control onto something else doesn't mean it
is not an OS.

> So what you are saying is that Microsoft is halting the advance of
software
> technology because of some FTP programs that the average computer user
(aka 90% of Windows
> users) has never used?
> Sounds Kinda ass-backward to me, but that's Microsoft for you.

No, their trying to be backwards compatible with a lot of customers and
older applications.  It would make their life a lot easier, and more
profitable, if they could spend less time trying to shoe-horn in all the
backwards compatibility crap.  Software companies would like nothing better
than to through the latest version out and rewrite the thing again, without
the headaches of backwards computability.  I've worked at a few, and on a
few apps, and this has always been the case.

You know, it never ceases to amaze me that so many people, such as
yourself, believe that companies such as Microsoft, who do have some degree
of talent, would put in a lot of extra time and effort to screw you around.
 I think there's a psychological term for people who believe their being
singled out, but I can't remember what it is...

------------------------------

From: "L.Hileman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Success with IP Masquerading
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:04:59 -0700

Any idea of how to do this with ipfwadm.
This is my file, but I cannot figure out whats wrong.
I have stared out the outside IP address.  I heard something about
ip_masq_ftp but
the only file I found on my disk was ip_masq_ftp.o (no flame please, I'm
just a newbie)

===================
#  FIREWALL.RULES
#  Larry Hileman
#

# Define the network variables
#
DSL_IP=***.***.***.98/29
STF_IP=192.168.1.0/24

# Start by removing all previous stuff.
#
ipfwadm -I -f
ipfwadm -O -f
ipfwadm -F -f

# Set to deny everything.
#
ipfwadm -I -p deny
ipfwadm -O -p deny
ipfwadm -F -p deny

# Set to deny all IP spoofing.
#
ipfwadm -I -a deny -V ***.***.***.98 -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
ipfwadm -I -a deny -V ***.***.***.98 -S ***.***.***.98 -D 0.0.0.0/0

# Set rules that allow unlimited internal usage of the local network
#
ipfwadm -I -a accept -V 192.168.1.254 -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D 0.0.0.0/0
ipfwadm -O -a accept -V 192.168.1.254 -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D 0.0.0.0/0

# Set firewall to allow LAN to access the Internet.
#
ipfwadm -O -a accept -P tcp \
                    -S ***.***.***.98 1024:65535 \
                    -D 0.0.0.0/0 pop-3 smtp ftp ftp-data www telnet domain

ipfwadm -O -a accept -P udp \
                    -S ***.***.***.98 1024:65535 \
                    -D 0.0.0.0/0 domain

ipfwadm -I -a accept -k -P tcp \
                     -S 0.0.0.0/0 pop-3 smtp ftp ftp-data www telnet domain
\
                     -D ***.***.***.98 1024:65535

ipfwadm -I -a accept -P udp \
                     -S 0.0.0.0/0 domain \
                     -D ***.***.***.98/24 1024:65535

# Now, set up the IP masquerade
#
ipfwadm -F -a masquerade -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

# now, show the final rules lists:
#
ipfwadm -I -l
ipfwadm -O -l
ipfwadm -F -l

===================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Lanning)
Subject: Re: kill child of shellscript
Date: 9 Jun 1999 19:53:53 GMT

Scott Lanning ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Another solution might be to use 'trap' to trap the signal

Oh duh, I think you could just kill the job.. Killing the
"job" should kill all its child processes. Is that what you
meant?

(suspend with CTRL-z)
[1]  - Suspended           tin -q
[2]  + Suspended           testes

# kill %2
[2]    Terminated          testes
#

I used a similar script to what you wrote, and it worked.

--
Scott Lanning: [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://physics.bu.edu/~slanning
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (THE Xfreak)
Subject: Re: kernel doesn't support fs
Date: 10 Jun 1999 06:42:40 GMT

I don't know what causes it, but compiling the kernel with vfat support built
in should work.  The same thing happened to me, and that's what I did.

------------------------------

From: Leigh Orf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: vacation program broken for RH6.0?
Date: 9 Jun 1999 19:58:46 GMT

I've spent a copule hours trying to get the standard autoreply vacation
program to work with a RedHat 6.0/glibc2.1/kernel2.2.9 dist and it
appears something is broken. I've built vacation-1.2.0 and a couple
older versions and I can get it to segfault sometimes, other times it
delivers an empty message.

Here's the last few lines of the output of

cat test.msg |  strace vacation orf

where test.msg is a normal email message as it would appear in the
spool.

open(".vacation.msg", O_RDONLY)         = 3
pipe([4, 5])                            = 0
recv(-1, "\205\300}!\350\222\357\377\377\213"..., 4294967295,
MSG_DONTROUTE|0x40109db0) = 3801
close(4)                                = 0
fcntl(5, F_GETFL)                       = 0x1 (flags O_WRONLY)
fstat(5, {st_mode=033015, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
mmap(0, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0x40015000
_llseek(0x5, 0, 0, 0xbfffeb18, 0x1)     = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)
write(5, "To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]\n", 27) = 27
close(5)                                = 0
munmap(0x40015000, 4096)                = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

What's up with that illegal seek anyway?

Sometimes it will exit "normally" (not dump core but send a blank
message) instead of SEGV.

A code snippet from vacation.c (version 1.2.0):

    sfp = fdopen(pvect[1], "w");
    fprintf(sfp, "To: %s\n", from);
    while (fgets(buf, sizeof buf, mfp)) { /* PROBLEM is here I think */
        char    *sp, *fromp, *subjp, *nextp;

        subjp = strstr(buf, "$SUBJECT");
#ifdef DEBUG
        if (subjp) {
            sprintf (logline, "sendmessage: found $SUBJECT %s\n", subjp);
            printd (logline);
        }
#endif
.
.
.

I did some debugging and the fgets sometimes immediately returns a null
pointer, which should not happen. Either way the debug message is never
printed, as it's popped out of the while loop immediately.

I have a feeling this might be a glibc problem. I have recompiled many
times but to no avail.

I'd just use procmail but I like the database that the vacation program
uses to avoid sending replies more than once a week.

Leigh Orf
orf at mailbag d0t c0m

------------------------------

From: Elchonon Edelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bug in the "read" shell function ?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:54:26 GMT

Nico Reservoir d'Yop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello, I have Linux 2.2.7 (Debian 2.1) and I noted a possible bug
>in the "read" shell function (in both ksh and bash, so it might be
>a bug in the underlying pipe mechanism) :
>this doesn't work (but SHOULD) :
>echo 1 | read a   -> $a has no value

why not just do:
  a=`echo 1`
?

I would expect that to work perfectly well...

--
Elchonon Edelson        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IntelliSoft Corp.       http://isoft.com/