From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mj)
Subject: Re: time nightmare
Date: 10 Jun 1999 13:16:39 GMT

Hi,

I would check your RTC battery. Maybe its out of power? But, it wouldn't
surprise me, that Windows has one more bug, YAWB!  (= Yet Another Windows
Bug).

bye.

------------------------------

From: Edward Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:37:45 +0100

Jamie wrote:
[snip]
: typing < dir > and pressing < Return > and you will see that although
it
: saved it, it did not know how to do it correctly and you now have a
file
: with an illegal filename (i.e. a space in the filename).  In other
words
: they didn't finish DOS 7.

This does not work with OSR2, it saves the file as thisis~1

Ed

------------------------------

From: "Paul Chapin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Access Control
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:28:38 -0400

I'm relatively new to Linux and I'm wondering if there's a feature somewhere
equivalent to Digital Unix's ACLs that let you control access permissions to
particular directories or files on a user by user basis?

--
Paul Chapin
UNIX Manager

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general
Subject: /etc/termcap question
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:31:09 GMT

Is there a way to get cutomizations of this file to run for specific
users rather than globally?

Or, is there a way to set the terminal lines from 24 to 40 from within
the terminal session or at connection time?

The reason I ask is that I connect to the linux box using telnet
vt100. termcap has this set at 24 lines and i want to use 40.
My telnet client doesnt maintain the LINES variable properly, so my
ouput is often limited to the 24 lines. If I set it to 40 in the
script it will be for everybody and that isn't acceptable either.

Charles Wilkins  CNE / MCP / A+
Network Design Consultant
Practical Computer Solutions
http://www.pcscs.com
609-321-1530
609-321-0840 - fax

From: Mohamad SALEH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: How to get System Commander to boot Linux?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:18:10 +0200

Leonard Evens a écrit :

> Mohamad SALEH wrote:
>
> > "Edward J. Smiley Jr." a écrit :
> >
> > > I am trying to boot Win98, WinNT, and Linux using System Commander.  I
> > > know that you have to point System Commander at you Linux partition to
> > > get it to boot.  What partition do I want to point it at and how do I
> > > point it?
> > > Also in the future I would like to add Solaris 7.  Would I have to do
> > > this the same way?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > --
> >
> > I use simply LILO from Linux. It is possible to boot all Windows, Solaris
> > and naturally Linux
> > with LILO which is a natural solution when you have Linux.
>
> This certainly works, but you probably have to put lilo in the linux root
> file system
> or something similar.  If you try to put lilo in the master boot record,
> there is
> a reasonable chance you will make it difficult for NT or one of these other
> systems to boot.

Well, I do put it on the MBR and that causes no problem. I mean no problem that
can't be resolved.

You can install in ALL orders you want. The best order is Linux at last. Even if
you prefer to partition
your disk (like I do) with Linux. You have to use a boot floppy disk to repaire
LILO if needed.
Note that lilo.conf can't reference a system which is not installed (precisely
without an "installed"
boot block).

So if you install windows after Linux, you must go to Linux after the first part
of the installation and
add it in lilo.conf to boot it and then you continue your installation. Note
that Windows must be
INSTALLED on a BOOT DISK. But when you have Linux, you can put NT then on
another disk
which is not the boot one and Linux can boot it "without" any problem.

Installing Solaris then will write the MBR and you can repair it by booting
Linux with the floppy.
Then you add Solaris in the file lilo.conf and You have now your system booting
the three systems
having LILO on the MBR.

------------------------------

From: Albert C. Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CS4232 sound behavior in RH6.0
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:26:51 GMT

Running RedHat 6.0 (2.2.5-15 kernel) on an IBM Thinkpad 600E.

Here's the situation...

Sound (using the CS4232 driver) does not work correctly when I first
boot up.  It skips, get stuck, or flat doesn't play depending on the
sample I'm playing (mp3, midi or wav).

If I run sndconfig, everything works beautifully (16-bit stereo sound).

Once I reboot again, I'm back to the skipping/pausing/silent behavior.

Run sndconfig once more, and everything perfect again.

sndconfig generates the following in /etc/conf.modules :

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias sound cs4232
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dam2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=5
synthirq=-1 synthio=-1

Any ideas?  Or what is sndconfig actually doing?

-Al ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Jamie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:43:46 +0000

Edward Hill wrote:

> This does not work with OSR2, it saves the file as thisis~1

Oh well ..  I ran into a classroom and tried it before I sent it.  Must
be OSR1 in there.  Still, the point was that the long filename stuff is
in the DOS system but is not fully useable.

  ____                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   /        All comments expressed should be assumed to be my opinion
\_/ amie    only and you should get your own opinion.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup.misc
Subject: Re: I Still cant get the new kernel to install in  SuSE1.6
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:59:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chris Moyer  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 00:54:14, "Dennis J. Sylvester"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>         Been there, done that, doesnt work,
>>
>>         i'll be returning th software it wont work .
>
>I've got the same problem.
>I think there is a porblem witht he linux/2.2.7 directory
>
>I get an error during make zImage:
>
>something about unexpected end of line, out of pipe or something...
>I have the whole system up and I like this distibution except for this,
>can't i just DL a new kernel from kernel.org and go from there.. (by the
>way, I've never done that)?
>
>Chris Moyer

        You shouldn't have to download the whole kernel source, just
patches.  If you are at kernel 2.2.7, download the patch for 2.2.8 and
2.2.9.  Then to apply say patch-2.2.8 you would enter the command
'patch -p0 < patch-2.2.8.  Patch them in order from /usr/src where linux
is the subdirectory containing the kernel source (or a symbolic link to
the subdirectory).  I went straight from 2.2.1 to 2.2.9 this way.  I
think somebody said there was a problem with one of the 2.2.x kernels,
it might have been 2.2.7.

--
Praeterea censeo Micromolle non esse utendum.
("Moreover, I maintain that Microsoft should not be used."  A toned down

------------------------------

From: "Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a dumb question?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:08:54 +0800

=======_NextPart_000_0047_01BEB396.365D40E0

are there any issues to consider when upgrading motherboards and cpu's =
under RedHat 4.2? All other peripherals should remain unchanged.=20

=======_NextPart_000_0047_01BEB396.365D40E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>are there any issues to consider =
when upgrading=20
motherboards and cpu's under RedHat 4.2? All other peripherals should =
remain=20
unchanged. </FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH for glib-1.2.1.tar.gz
Date: 10 Jun 1999 15:15:12 GMT

In the sacred domain of uk.comp.os.linux didst hihihi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently
scribe:
: In the messages is the advice to remove the oldest version, glib
: 1.2.1.

: But how do i uninstall a glib ???

If it was compiled and you kept a directory with the source code, simply
make uninstall will do it.

: Should i extract in to /usr/local/lib directly ???
: And install from there ??
: And not from /home/hihihi/test

Nope. It doesn't matter where you extract to.
The ./configure program can place the library whereever you want it by using
something along the lines of

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/lib

This is not really needed unless you want to put it somewhere OTHER than
/usr/local/lib though, because that's the default directory.

It's far more usefull if you have libraries that cause conflicts to install
them in separate places so they don't mix, and setenv your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
appropriately...

The program built along with the glib and gtk compiles called glib-config
and gtk-config come in useful for this...

Read the README and INSTALL files you get with the library.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|                                                 |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|      Finalist in:-       | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|     Computer Science     | - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                   |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED][NOSPAM] (T. Fox)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: choosing an OS for a retired Sun workstation
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:10:28 GMT

I ran RH5.1 on my old SS10 before I got rid of it. It was okay. X
operations weren't as fast as I'm accustomed to but it was certainly
better than Solaris2.5.1.

------------------------------

From: Jamie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.msdos.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:55:49 +0000

Jason Clifford wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Chad Mulligan wrote:
>
> > CLARIFICATION:  Windows95/98 !=DOS,  Reversion to DOS is possible if DOS is
> > installed prior to Windows95/98.  DOS is _NOT_ Required.
>
> No, Win95 is MS DOS 7 with a redesigned 32 bit GUI shell.
>
> Revision is not a valid test. Try reverting from MS DOS 6.22 to MS DOS
> 3.2. Both are MS DOS but this is simply not possible to do.

<pedant>

*predominately* 32-bit GUI shell, there is still a considerable amount
of 16-bit left over from Win3.x.

</pedant>

From: killbill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Backup recommendations?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:41:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dan LaPine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Then go out and buy an inexpensive CD burner. They are available for
under
> > $200 for an ide model, and you can't get cheaper media.  That's not
> > mention all the other uses they have. (DAT really bites on my car CD
> > player...)
>
> Well cheaper if you are only backing up 640 megabytes uncompressed.
> Right now, I'm backing up 13 gigabytes to my DAT drive every night.
> It would take the better part of a day, having to plop in new CD's
> every so often (hey my time is valuable, even if I'm just playing
> games).
> (text deleted)...
> Don't get me wrong, I also have a CD-R and use it, but I don't think
> its that practical for soho type dumps.

As the author of a CDRW backup utility for Linux (backburner, see
www.freshmeat.net) I could not agree more with Micheal (not that I would
ever dare to disagree about anything Linux related with anyone with a
cygnus email address :).

Utilities like backburner make it pretty easy to drop up to about 1.2
gigs to a single CDR or CDRW, and work pretty well for the home user
that wants the most utility, flexibility, and bang for the buck.

It can be a headache however.  It _will_ take the better part of the day
to completely backup a decent sized system, and will require periodic
visits to flip disks.  There are plenty of strategies to make this
easier, and most users could probably get away with unattended backups
to a CDRW of only files that have changed since their last full backup,
but it will always be more work then having a great big tape drive of
some sort.

That being said, if it is the choice of either a tape drive _or_ a CDRW
drive, I would take the CDRW in a heartbeat for 90% of all usage
scenarios.  It does not do any one thing really well, but it does SO
MANY things just well enough.

--
Bil Kilgallon ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make

From: johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo alternative
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:10:05 -0700

Matthias Meixner wrote:

> johan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > About 2 years ago I downloaded a multi-boot utility that was quite
> > neat.  Now I've multi-patitioned my machine again, and I was searching
> > for the same one, but can't find it anywhere.  I cannot remember the
> > name, or where I downloaded it from.  (I just know it was the author's
> > home page, not a commercial site.)  I hope someone recognises it, and
> > can tell me where I can find it.
>
> Was it GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader)?
>
> - Matthias
>
> --
> Matthias Meixner                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The name GRUB doesn't sound familiar.  I'll take a look anyway, Thanks.
Johan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: problem with gcc
Date: 9 Jun 1999 22:32:49 -0500

[posted and e-mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Fabian Wolf wrote:
> My problem is, everytime I try to compile a source-package, the
> "./configure" command ends up with an error-message. I am not able to
> compile any sources.
> The output is as follows:
[...]
>       checking for c++... no
>       checking for g++... no
>       checking for gcc... gcc
>       checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>       configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
>        C++ compiler cannot create executables.

Did you install the C++ compiler?

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news,netscape.public.mozilla.general,netscape.public.mozilla.unix
Subject: Global Address Book Setup Help
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:51:35 -0700