Linux-Misc Digest #596, Volume #20               Sat, 12 Jun 99 02:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Password file lookup (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
  Help!! NT + linux partition mkfs problem!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: /etc/termcap question (Charles Wilkins)
  Apache Question ("Dominik Slusarczyk")
  PPP Packet Loss (Carl Davis)
  Re: Some USR modems are MS-only, Re: [SURVEY] Who has an internal   modemin his
linux box ? (Cameron L. Spitzer)
  Re: Q: performance of RC5 client on Sparc (Philip Brown)
  test  7842 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Journaled filesystem for Linux ? (Oracle) (Philip Brown)
  Ip masquerade question from newbie ("Scott Niedens")
  Re: I am not impressed with Debian so far. (Ray)
  Re: cannot chown or chgrp vfat directories/files (Marc Mutz)
  Re: /etc/termcap question (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Password file lookup ("SR")
  Re: RedHat 5.2 (where to get apache 1.3.6 rpm?) (Kenyon Ralph)
  Re: Editing a 4.7Mb file (VI limit 2Mb) ("Susan M. F. Lasota")
  Re: ipchains and MS Netmeeting (Placeware is the solution) (Sid Boyce)
  RedHat 5.2 (How do you upgrade to 6.0 over the internet?) (Brad Ball)
  Re: Ip masquerade question from newbie (Kenyon Ralph)
  Hardware Flow Control (Carl Davis)
  Re: burning CDs (Mircea)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (The Ghost In The Machine)
  a new freeware compiler with IDE and GuiDesigner for Linux and Windows ("Max Reason")
  Re: AIX UNIX ("William B. Cattell")
  using NFS problem,help! ("Antony Mak")
  Re: Hardware Flow Control (Justin Pelletier)
  Re: LILO hangs at LI - SOLUTION! (Silviu Minut)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Password file lookup
Date: 11 Jun 1999 11:22:12 +0800

How do I modify the Linux kernel so that it reads the password file that
resides on a smartcard rather than on the hard drive in directory /etc ?
Thanks for any tips.

Napi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help!! NT + linux partition mkfs problem!!!
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:27:27 GMT

I'm afraid I wrecked my linux + NT dual boot system!

Here is my setup:

/dev/sda1     2 gigs  NT 4.0 (FAT)
/dev/sda2     1 gig  NTFS
/dev/sda3     linux (ext2)

Here's what I did:
I tried out the program to read the NTFS from linux,
and I typed:
mkntfs /dev/sda1
(which at the very least should have been /dev/sda2, the NTFS part.
I wish to read), and now I can't boot.
Simply stated: is my NT FAT partition completely trashed now?
Any way to recover?
TIA
dejadjcyr

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general
Subject: Re: /etc/termcap question
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:54:23 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:07:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Arromdee)
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins) wrote:
>>The reason I ask is that I connect to the linux box using telnet
>>vt100. termcap has this set at 24 lines and i want to use 40.
>>My telnet client doesnt maintain the LINES variable properly, so my
>>ouput is often limited to the 24 lines. If I set it to 40 in the
>>script it will be for everybody and that isn't acceptable either.
>
>If I understand you properly, have you tried the "resize" program?

This could be it.
Does it work with bash and vt100?

Charles Wilkins  CNE / MCP / A+
Network Design Consultant
Practical Computer Solutions
http://www.pcscs.com
609-321-1530
609-321-0840 - fax

From: "Dominik Slusarczyk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache Question
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:35:34 -0400

There is no Apache newsgroup (at least that my ISP gives me access to), so I
was hoping someone here might be able to help me if they've had a similar
experience.

I am trying to use the EXEC CMD  SSI tag to execute a program w/ an absolute
path.  However, Apache apparently doesn't like this... is there any way I
can do this?  Here is the tag I've been trying to use:

<!-- #exec cmd = "/home/ducky/test.cgi" -->

test.cgi is chmoded 755 and is executable.  I can access it throug HTTP
directly.  However, when I try to execute it with SSI that way, it fails,
not even producing the usual ERROR PROCESSING THIS DIRECTIVE message.

Any help/tips/pointers would be very appreciated.

--

Dominik Slusarczyk
Blizzard Nation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Davis)
Subject: PPP Packet Loss
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:52:44 GMT

I'm running RH 5.2 on  PII 128 mb machine.  I connect over modem to
the internet.  My connection is terrible and I assume it is because of
my severe packet loss 30-40%.  It is not lines, modem, etc, because on
the same machine booting NT I can establish a PPP connection fine
without problems.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this
problem.  I have tried several things and read all that I can.  I am
basically new with Linux and this PPP problem is the only thing
keeping me from booting Linux all the time.  If you have any ideas
please email me because I will not be able to get back to this group
often.  Thanks for any help you might have.

Carl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Some USR modems are MS-only, Re: [SURVEY] Who has an internal   modemin
his linux box ?
Date: 12 Jun 1999 03:50:28 GMT

I wrote:
> [...]

I disagree that "winmodem" is a clear label.  It's a jargon word
which the consumer who is victimized by the winmodem will not
recognize.  The label should say "Does not work with any other OS
except Microsoft Windows 95/98/NT."  Then they'll get a clue that
it's missing something.

>> >They also say(mine did) on the back of the box: for windows only
>> This is not easy to read the back of the box when ordering over the
>> phone or internet, though..
>worked fine until I upgraded to RH 6.  6 set up /dev/ttyS2 as crw-------
>with root as owner.  Anybody know how to change permissions for a
>character device?  Neither hard linking nor symlinking to it seems to
>help.

chown root.dialout /dev/ttyS2
chmod 660 /dev/ttyS2

Then add every user who needs to dial out to the dialout group.
If you run uucp, or run a cron job to fetch mail, your uucp
or mail user needs to be in dialout, too.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: Re: Q: performance of RC5 client on Sparc
Date: 12 Jun 1999 03:42:22 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:56:35 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>The Microsparc doesn't have an FPU.

I think that's an overstatement.
[Axil sparc 5/110mhz clone]

What IS true, is:

a) it isn't that great
b) it doesn't have much L2 cache
c) I don't remember which, bu either the RC5 code, or the DES code
  required bit rotation operations which sparcs dont have in hardware.

AHA. and I think

d) the microsparc might not have a divide op in hardware.

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: test  7842
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:13:54 GMT

test
ylexfmelcpuwbdhqsrzjtwpmxewpdehkecnqkkprvusvgjvhvdgfxrmzydmcw

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Subject: Re: Journaled filesystem for Linux ? (Oracle)
Date: 12 Jun 1999 03:35:52 GMT

On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 11:12:35 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Hi netters,
>
>we'd like to run a Oracle database on a production system with Linux.
>Unfortunately tests had shown that a power failure will destroy
>the database.

This is not unusual amoung databases. but to conitnue...

>There are rumors that Oracle for Linux 8.0.5 isn't correctly
>coded (no fsync at the right time).
>A journaled filesystem would be a solution.

?? what is the "right time"?

And why are you using filesystems to beging with? I thought everyone used
raw partitions for databases anyways.

Botton line: Get a UPS, with proper software, and ensure that the machine
shuts down cleanly under power fail situations.
Oh. And turn ON the safety features of the filesystem. Unfortunatley, I'm more
a solaris guru than a linux one. But I hear the difference between
defaults on solaris and linux, is that solaris defaults to "slow but safe"
and linux defaults to "unsafe and fast".
So change the mount options on linux to be "slow but safe".

Not as good as a journaled filesystem, but better than what you probably have.

From: "Scott Niedens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ip masquerade question from newbie
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:50:26 -0500

I successfully got my linux box working for ipmasquerade and it works GREAT
and i love it but i was just wondering if there was any way that i could get
that box to connect to the internet on demand and disconnect after a given
amount of time? Any reference to documentation or anything that might help.
I am running redhat 5.2 with ipfwadm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: I am not impressed with Debian so far.
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:35:23 GMT

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:36:00 GMT, Barry Samuels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 07:49:23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray) wrote:
>
>> Either something is wrong with the layout of the CDs or you've done
>> something wrong earlier on in the install.  I wouldn't be surprised if this
>> is related to your later problems with wdm.  I'd suggest a dejanews search
>> just in case there is a bug in the instructions.
>
>I don't believe that I did anything wrong during the second install.
>I'll have to follow that up.

BTW, in dselect, after you did <SELECT> and <INSTALL>, did you follow up
with <CONFIG>?  You won't have to do this last step once you start using apt
but I think it is necessary for the multi-cd method.  It might be worth
doing a complete run in dselect, <UPDATE> <SELECT> <INSTALL> <CONFIG> just
to make sure everything is up to date.

>> When you installed the system you were given the oportunity to "install"
>> various drivers/modules.  The choices you made there determine which modules
>> are loaded at bootup.  If you change your mind later you can either run
>> modconf or just edit /etc/modules.  In general I prefer to let the kerneld
>> load things automatically and I only specify modules in /etc/modules when
>> necessary.
>
>I thought, at that stage, that I was being asked what support I wanted
>to be included not what modules were to be loaded.  I think that
>perhaps the instructions could be a little clearer at that point.

This threw me the first time too but if you think about it "what support is
included" and "what modules to load" really amounts to the same thing in
most cases.

>I am pleased, in this case, to be proven wrong it makes me feel less
>apprehensive.  I can't imagine that I could help, not being an expert,
>and I would not even classify myself as an experienced user yet.

That's exactly the sort of help that is needed.  Experts tend to gloss over
the things that cause problems for beginners.  Here are a couple of links
you might like:

http://www.debian.org/~elphick/ddp/
http://www.linuxpress.com/debusered2.html

The FAQ in you /usr/doc/debian/FAQ is really good too.

>The screen goes blank from time to time, for about 1 second, when the
>mouse is moved or a button is pressed,  and then the image returns
>normally.  This was happening before the kernel was recompiled and is
>still happening.

I'm not sure but I guess it would either be apm (ie check your kernel
config) or the screen-saver or maybe some interaction between the two.  I
don't know if this will help but have a look at "man xset".

A searchable debian mailing list archive is at:

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/

--
Ray

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:36:45 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cannot chown or chgrp vfat directories/files

Stephen E. Watts wrote:

> This is my fstab entry for /files
>   /dev/sdb1  /files  vfat  auto,rw,user,exec,umask=000 1 1
>

> bash-2.02# chown username /files/directory
> chown: /files/directory: Operation not permitted
>
> bash-2.02# chgrp users /files/directory
> chgrp: /files/directory: Operation not permitted

Because FAT32 is the filesystem of Windoze, you have to expect that it
does not support Unix-type permissions. In fact, there is only one user
under Win9{5,8}: root. So no need to log a file's owner...
bottomline: no FAT fs has support for uid/gid/permissions (the
permissions you get with ls are the ones denoted in /etc/fstab as
mode=000, see man fstab)

Marc

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.general
Date: 11 Jun 1999 10:19:44 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins) writes:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:07:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Arromdee)
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Wilkins) wrote:
> >>The reason I ask is that I connect to the linux box using telnet
> >>vt100. termcap has this set at 24 lines and i want to use 40.
> >>My telnet client doesnt maintain the LINES variable properly, so my
> >>ouput is often limited to the 24 lines. If I set it to 40 in the
> >>script it will be for everybody and that isn't acceptable either.
> >
> >If I understand you properly, have you tried the "resize" program?
>
> This could be it.
> Does it work with bash and vt100?

afaik the dec vt100 has 24 lines and that's that.  if it's got 40, it
ain't a vt100!

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: "SR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Password file lookup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 22:48:48 -0500

Look for documentation on PAM

sr

news:7jpvd4$48p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenyon Ralph)
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 (where to get apache 1.3.6 rpm?)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:29:10 GMT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:52:11 GMT, Brad Ball wrote:
> What a pain in ass Linux is!

Yes, but just as much as anything else with computers...

> Why the hell should I have to upgrade my entire operating system just to
> get the latest version of apache!  And people complain about Microsoft
> products!!!????

Sometimes what I do is get the .src.rpm for an older version (like 1.3.3 in
this case), install that (installing a source rpm just means putting the
contents in /usr/src/redhat), modify the spec file a bit, and then make my
own rpm of the latest version.

--
Kenyon Ralph | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://home.san.rr.com/ralphs

------------------------------

From: "Susan M. F. Lasota" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,linux.help
Subject: Re: Editing a 4.7Mb file (VI limit 2Mb)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:43:04 -0400

Or Pico :P --Mike

------------------------------

From: Sid Boyce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipchains and MS Netmeeting (Placeware is the solution)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:36:48 +0100

Robert Cicconetti wrote:

> The only way I have been able to find is using an application called
> "PhonePatch" from www.equival.com.  30 day trial available.  I never
> finished configuring, as the person I'm setting up the firewall for decided
> Netmeeting wasn't worth $50 (cost of PhonePatch).

        The best thing we ever did as a corporation was to bin netmeeting which
had to be downloaded and installed on every machine (Linux has no
equivalent package, meetingrooms etc. don't understand netmeeting). With
Placeware,from  http://www.placeware.com we simply use a browser, so I
can deliver and attend classes sitting here at my Linux machine using
netscape only to hook up to the server in California, it's a far more
elegant solution. Placeware allowed us to hook up to their site in order
to properly evaluate the product before we bought it. Now, a Linux port
would be very nice.
Regards
--
... Sid Boyce...Amdahl(Europe)...44-121 422 0375
Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent

------------------------------

From: Brad Ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 5.2 (How do you upgrade to 6.0 over the internet?)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 05:01:12 GMT

I cannot find the instructions on www.redhat.com
Anyone know how to do this?

Brad.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenyon Ralph)
Subject: Re: Ip masquerade question from newbie
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:24:39 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:50:26 -0500, Scott Niedens wrote:
> I successfully got my linux box working for ipmasquerade and it works
> GREAT and i love it but i was just wondering if there was any way that i
> could get that box to connect to the internet on demand and disconnect
> after a given amount of time? Any reference to documentation or anything
> that might help. I am running redhat 5.2 with ipfwadm

There is a program called diald that does this.  See the freshmeat appindex
record here: http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/02/24/888343869.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Davis)
Subject: Hardware Flow Control
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 03:17:28 GMT

I may not have any of this right because I am not an expert by any
means.  Over my ppp connection I have severe packet loss.  I want to
beleive is is because of flow control.  I have enabled hardware flow
control in my modem init string.  Now i think that I need to enable in
on my serial port (ext modem)  What would the command be to enable
hardware flow control over my serial port, if this is even possible or
would maybe help the situation.  Any help would be apprecieted.  And
an email would also be appreciated.

Carl

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: burning CDs
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 01:30:48 -0400

Latenar wrote:

> Does anyone know of an application to burn CD's in Linux (Slackware)? Thanks...
>    Latenar

/usr/bin/cdrecord; /usr/bin/cdwrite

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:56:34 GMT

On 11 Jun 1999 14:12:48 GMT, Mr S A Penny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>What confuses me more is why, in thier attempt to hide DOS, did MS give
>>Windows95 long filename support but not DOS 7.  I can only assume it would
>>be just as easy/easier to do this at a lower level than a higher one. And
>>it would make the product much easier to use. Nothing annoys me more than
>>them stupid "~1" 's.
>
>the problem is in the filesystem, the filenames are still stored in 8.3
>format, with extra information hidden away somewhere else... I agree that
>the ~1 thing is bloody iritating, though...
>
>SammyTheSingle
>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>PHUAE / S.A.Penny@(dcs.)Warwick.ac.uk (E)TLA page www.warwick.ac.uk/~phuae/
>www.warwick.ac.uk/~phuae/StSim/index.html --=<<latest update: 25/01/99>>==-
>-=SF9=- a team based FPS game with AI by SammyTheSnake & JB www.symbiosys.org

Yes, the long filenames are stored (2 bytes per character; some sort
of Unicode thing) in special hidden (type=0x17, actually) file entries
in the directory, near the actual DOS (8.3) filename.

What a hack.

----

From: "Max Reason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a new freeware compiler with IDE and GuiDesigner for Linux and Windows
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:58:58 -0000

 #####  announcement  #####

 XBasic for Linux and XBasic for Windows are now available as freeware
 and can be downloaded from the internet.  For an XBasic overview and
 links to XBasic pages with download and installation instructions for
 both Linux and Windows implementations of XBasic, start at this page:
 < http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic.html >.

 A new XBasic programmer recently converted the XBasic documentation
 from Microsoft Word format to HTML.  Since HTML is a universal format,
 the HTML documentation is now the reference documentation and we will
 no longer keep the old documentation up-to-date.  You can view and/or
 download the new HTML documentation from the XBasic web-pages.

 Both downloadable implementations of XBasic are full "pro" versions,
 and they include all features, and have no time-limits or advertising.
 Plans and conversations are underway to make XBasic an "open source"
 project so XBasic can be maintained and enhanced in a similar manner
 as Linux and other open source software applications.  You are welcome
 to join this conversation - begin by sending an introductory email with
 your interests, opinions, relevant skills to < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >.

 What is XBasic?

 XBasic is a 32/64-bit IDE (integrated development environment) with
 an editor, compiler, debugger, several function libraries, and an
 interactive graphical GuiDesigner (a GUI design tool).

 XBasic was designed to be easy to learn and easy to read, but above all,
 is also a capable and flexible programming language.  Several programmers
 have called XBasic "C in BASIC clothing".

 The entire XBasic application is written in XBasic, except for a small
 quantity of assembly language for speed-critical routines.

 XBasic was designed to support source-code portability between operating
 systems.  XBasic programs that run on any XBasic implementation run on all,
 even XBasic programs with lots of graphics and complex GUIs.  Linux XBasic
 implements its OS-independent graphics library by calling xlib functions
 in XWindows, while Windows XBasic calls Windows API function.  The built-in
 interactive GuiDesigner is based on the OS-independent graphics library, so
 it's exactly the same XBasic source code for all implementations.

 Several implementations of XBasic have been created over the years.
 The first was for Motorola 88000 RISC CPU UNIX workstations, and
 the most recent two were for Windows95/98/NT on Pentium CPUs and
 Linux on Pentium CPUs.  Only the Linux and Windows implementations
 are in-sync and up-to-date.

 A few random facts about XBasic (frequently asked questions):

 XBasic functions are inherently compatible with C, C-libraries,
 Linux system calls, and Windows API functions.  XBasic function
 arguments are (by default) passed by-value, but can also be
 passed by-reference - and by-address for C and OS compatibility.
 Thus XBasic programs can call C functions and C program can
 call XBasic functions.

 XBasic is a compiler.  When programs are developed in the IDE,
 they are compiled directly from source-code into binary machine
 instructions the CPU executes during running and debugging.
 To create standalone executables, XBasic compiles source-code
 into an assembly-language file and a makefile that invoke
 standard system tools to turn into the standalone executables.

 The XBasic interactive graphical GuiDesigner (GUI design tool)
 lets you create/position/size grids AKA widgets AKA controls in
 design windows.  Once layed-out, GuiDesigner can translate the
 design windows into XBasic source-code functions and add them
 to your program.  The functions are open, readable, source-code
 that can be modified by programmers to suit their purposes.
 Furthermore, these functions are of the same form and format
 as grids/widgets/controls, and can therefore be treated as such.
 They can be exchanged and/or added to grid/widget/control toolkits.

 XBasic scopes: AUTO, AUTOX, STATIC, SHARED, EXTERNAL
 XBasic types: SBYTE, UBYTE, SSHORT, USHORT, SLONG, ULONG, XLONG, GIANT
 XBasic types: STRING, SINGLE, DOUBLE, SCOMPLEX, DCOMPLEX, user-defined
 XBasic types: GOTO addresses, GOSUB addresses, FUNCTION addresses

 XBasic multi-dimensional arrays are organized as tree-structures.
 Subarrays can be attached, detached, and swapped very efficiently
 to implement many advanced capabilities that are typically not
 possible or efficient without explicit pointers.

 For further general information about XBasic, see the XBasic web-pages
 and the overview pages in the XBasic documentation.

 Note: no offense is intended to C and C++ programmers, and do
 not take anything here or on the XBasic web-site as trying to
 convert a single C or C++ programmer to XBasic.  The author of
 XBasic writes in C++ too, ya know!  So please, no "us vs them".

 XBasic appeals mostly to scientists, engineers, technicians,
 non-computer professionals, students and novices.  Many people
 with anti-Windows feelings have already reported that XBasic
 is making a migration to Linux more plausible and tolerable.
 I much prefer Linux over Windows, but have to work in Windows
 most of the time.  Any movement toward Linux is good news to me.

 Your questions and comments are welcome.

 Max Reason

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AIX UNIX
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 05:23:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Anyone have any info on AIZ UNIX and what it comes with. I am takeing
> on a job that has an IBM RS6000 with AIX UNIX on it. I am new to this
> and will have to learn it completly. I know a little about Redhat 6.0
> Linux . How much does it differ? Does it come with Apache. What about
> sendmail.
> Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

AIX is an industrial strength UNIX.  The main app that I used was
SMIT.  you can do just about anything through it.  UNIX is UNIX.
If you're comfortable at a shell prompt with Linux you won't have
any problems.

No, it generally doesn't come with Apache or most of the other
tools Linux comes with.  It probably has sendmail as that is
somewhat of a 'standard'.

Bill
http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.

From: "Antony Mak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: using NFS problem,help!
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:27:18 +0800

Hi all,
        We always export filesystem using NFS to a AIX Box for backup as we
have one tape drive only. Recently, we install a Redhat4.2 box and also
export a data directory to the AIX Box for backup. But, I have found that it
always stop when working with Redhat 4.2 box. I have try to cp the mounted
NFS filesystems to other local directory but it is fail and get the
following messages

"Jun  8 10:11:00 host kernel: nfs_statfs: statfs error = 116" from host
(Redhat 4.2 /var/lod/messages)
" No responding from host still retry" from AIX Box

The other box (FreeBsd, AIX )have no such a problem. Can anyone help me!
thanks in advance
antony

------------------------------

From: Justin Pelletier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware Flow Control
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:31:08 +0000

Carl Davis wrote:

> I may not have any of this right because I am not an expert by any
> means.  Over my ppp connection I have severe packet loss.  I want to
> beleive is is because of flow control.  I have enabled hardware flow
> control in my modem init string.  Now i think that I need to enable in
> on my serial port (ext modem)  What would the command be to enable
> hardware flow control over my serial port, if this is even possible or
> would maybe help the situation.  Any help would be apprecieted.  And
> an email would also be appreciated.
>
> Carl

  You could use 'stty' to set those parameters but since you get so many
errors, maybe you should consider debugging your connection.

A good thing to try would be to reduce the speed.

Justin Pelletier
JP Programmation
Montreal, Canada

From: Silviu Minut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: LILO hangs at LI - SOLUTION!
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 02:03:32 -0400