From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: It's ugly but it works - Help!
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:49:50 -0400

I've come up with a couple of printer accounting scripts, one for PS and
one for HPGL.

They've both ugly and brute force, but they work.  I would appreciate a
look-see and some comments by anyone who has more ability with shell
scripts than me.  As you can tell, I'm pretty worthless....

This one has some problems:

1.  I am not familiar with the file format for the pac command; what
I've got is what I've reverse engineered; any file description would be
great.
2.  The script does no command line parsing.  This works only if it's
run by lpd; running lpr will cause it to fail.  I don't really have the
ability to write a command line parser using shell scripts.
3.  I really hate the fact that I write a spooled file to /tmp just so I
can read the header and look for the postscript page count.  There must
be a way to do this "on the fly" (NOTE: HPGL2 locks up cat for some
reason; thus the use of head.)
4.  The postscript script fails if the %%Pages: directive is not
present.  I need a way to at least put in one page (instead of nothing)
when that directive is missing.
5.  A nice to have:  I can't figure out a way to extract the title from
an HPGL file.  It looks something like this:

<esc>%-12345X@PJL JOB NAME= "xxxx.yyy"

I'm not sure if the string before the @ is arbitrary or not; I can't
come up with a sed substitution to make everything outside the "" to go
away.

And, of course, I can't even begin to try to puzzle out how this would
work with Ghostscript, but I don't use it anyway....

Thanks for any help.

Yan

===================****************===================

#!/bin/bash

# utility to write accounting info for a HPGL file sent to lpd
# arg 5 = username
# arg 7 = machine name
# arg 8 = acct file

# make temp file, if you can't, skip the accounting stuff but print
anyway
TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/pclacct.XXXXXX`  || (cat - ; exit 1)

# save print file to temp file
cat - > $TMPFILE

# print user name, # of pages, and file name to acct file
PAGESIZE=`head -n 5 $TMPFILE | grep "@PJL SET PAPERLENGTH" | tail -n 1 |
sed "s/@PJL SET PAPERLENGTH=//" -`
echo $[ $PAGESIZE / 7200 ].$[ ( 100 * ( $PAGESIZE % 7200 ) ) / 7200 ] \
        $5 \
        1 \
        `date "+%c"` \
        `head -n 5 $TMPFILE | grep  "@PJL JOB NAME"` >> $8

# send the file to the printer
cat $TMPFILE

# delete temp file
rm -f $TMPFILE
exit 0

===============*************==================

#!/bin/bash

# utility to write accounting info for a postscript file sent to lpd

# make temp file, if you can't, skip the accounting stuff but print
anyway
TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/psacct.XXXXXX`  || (cat - ; exit 1)

# save print file to temp file
cat - > $TMPFILE

# print machine, user name, # of pages, and file name to acct file
echo `cat $TMPFILE | grep %%Pages: | tail -n 1 | sed "s/%%Pages: //" -`
\
        $5 \
        1 \
        `date "+%c"` \
        `cat $TMPFILE | grep  %%Title: | tail -n 1 | sed "s/%%Title: //" -` \
        >> $8

# send the file to the printer
cat $TMPFILE

# delete temp file
rm -f $TMPFILE
exit 0

--

           __      __
          | /      /
           /------/
       -- / \    / \ --
     /   /\  \  /  /\   \
    |   /  |  \/--|--    |
     \    /        \    /
       ~~            ~~

"The older I get, the faster I was."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mack Jenkins)
Crossposted-To: git.unix.linux
Subject: Re: Multiboot question
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:12:50 GMT

one suggestion would be to use system commander...it's a pretty decent
boot loader software package...one way might be to add your win95 drive
and edit the nt boot sequence by hand and add the location of the windows
95 machine...

Shaun Dishman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Here is my current scenario:

: /dev/hda : Maxtor 4 GB HD, Running Windows NT 4.0
: /dev/hdc:  Western Digital 6.4 GB HD, Running Linux RedHat 6.0

: I have currently come to the conclusion that, although I am happy at the
: fact that I am running 2 incredibly stable OSes, I have no outlet
: through which to play most of my games (besides Q2, that is).  So I have
: decided to sell my soul and put a small win95 partition on my computer,
: just big enough to hold all of the games I'd like to play.  Currently my
: system is being booted through the NT Boot Loader, and my question is
: this:  is there any way I can add a 95 partition to this system and not
: have to redo everything, thereby losing the games I have on there (and
: can't replace)?  I understand that one of the above would probably have
: to be formatted and split up to make room for a new partition (unless I
: use partition magic), but my problem lies in the fact that I'm scared
: that if I set up a w95 partition, it's going to overwrite the MBR and
: screw over the linux/NT partitions.  Has anybody done this, or have a
: viable solution?  Thanks...

: Shaun

: --
: -------------------------------------------------------
:            Shaun Allen Dishman
:        BA 535, Theta Xi Fraternity
:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:      http://tx36.eastnet.gatech.edu
: -------------------------------------------------------
:   I can do all things through Christ which
:    strengtheneth me.    - Philippians 4:13

--
Our mission here is to prepare ourselves to go back, educate, motivate,
and uplift our people.  Those that this apply to, you know who you are.

--The General, 1996--
http://netguru.nsbe.org/
The General, Net G Rough Ryder
National Society of Black Enginers
Region 3 Telecommunications Chair

------------------------------

From: Jianren Bao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.hardware,comp.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.setup,comp.os.ms-windows.setup.win95
Subject: Help!! my fdisk problem
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:51:02 +0200

Any reply will make me happy, thanks.
2 weeks I buy one EPoX KP6-BS, while many people said it's a nice MB to
install Dual-CPU-PC with
2 celerons (with MSI 6905 v1.1). I like to say it is a good MD. But I
have a strange (maybe) problem.
My machine worked very well under LINUX (SuSE 6.0), but when I try to
install I have DOS 6.22 or
Windows (95 or 98 or NT), there are some problems. First, I cannot
install Windows boot with CDROM.
The machine died silently. Second, I cannot use fdisk (DOS version or
Windows 98 Version) using floppy disk,
this time it died but light of floppy drive is on (seems reading
nothing). I can say no question of my HD
(IBM DTTA 351010, 10.1 G) because I can use it with LINUX). I can use
this HD in other machine with fdisk.
I have tried many ways to install windows but not succeed.  Now I have
to post this question.
I beg you can give me one reply.
Thank you very much.

J. Bao

------------------------------

From: John Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:30:20 GMT

ajr-5 wrote:

> <snip>
> >
> > If we all smart as Bill Gates, he wouldn't be as rich as tody. Just
> > because he noticed PC will have feuture before IBM did. So we got
> > windows today.
>
> Actually, IBM hired Billy Gates to build them DOS, so actually, IBM thought
> the PC had a future as well. And furthermore Windowz was copied from Mac so
> don't give Gates too much credit. If Macs didn't have a GUI who knows what
> we would have today...

I think the TNT original movie "The Pirates of Silicon Valley" will illustrate
this and all of Billy-boy's other underhanding, tactics in his quest to screw
over Steve Jobs and the consumer quite nicely.

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.misc,comp.os.linux.developement.system,de.comp.os.misc,de.comp.os.unix.programming,de.comp.os.unix.misc
Subject: Re: Filename for File descriptor
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:02:05 -0700

Andreas Birkholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi *,
>
> I have a file descriptor in C (declared like FILE *fd) and want to know
> the filename for this fd.
> Does anybody know how to do that ?

Das ist eine FAQ.
Was du willst ist praktisch nicht moeglich, insbesondere weil die Datei u.U.
mehrere Directoy-Eintrage (aka Hardlinks) oder auch gar keinen hat (einziger
verbleibender Link ist der von dir oben erwaehnt Filedescriptor).

Uebrigens: Warum schriebst du auf Englisch in DE.comp.os.....?

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.cdr.panasonic,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Subject: Re: Help with Cw-7502 and cdrecord
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:12:56 GMT

Hi Jacob!

I have the same CDR and the same kernel Version.
Have you got the SG Buffer patch?  If not you can
get the patch at
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/alpha/

The file I pulled down was SG-2.2.tar.gz
After compiling this you will have to recompile
your kernel again.

This allowed me to write audio CDs without any
errors.  However, even though the process went
through a write and fixation, I still get no audio
coming from the disk even though the CD player
sees all the tracks and can index them ok.

So this might be another problem.  I'm using
CDRECORD 1.6.1 and XCDROAST to pull tracks and
write them.  Has anyone seen this problem before??

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

Mike McMahon

In article <7j78bo$uvs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I recently bought a Panasonic cw-7502 and have
been trying to get the
> thing to write with cdrecord.  When I use the
-dummy option, everything
> works fine, but when I actually want to write
the CD for real, it chokes
> after about 500k.  For all I know the CDR is
defective, but I thought
> I'd ask and see if anyone had any ideas why this
might be happening.

> I'm using:
> 4.17 firmware for the CDR,
> Diamond Fireport 40 SCSI adapter (newest
firmware)
> cdrecord 1.8a22
> Linux Kernel 2.2.9
>
> Here's the output from cdrecord (it gives me
this consistently):

> Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999
Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '3,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 3 lun: 0
> atapi: -1
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 2
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   : SYNC LINKED
> Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
> Identifikation : 'CD-R   CW-7502  '
> Revision       : '4.17'
> Device seems to be: Matsushita CW-7502.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
> Drive buf size : 1044288 = 1019 KB
> FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
> Track 01: data  621 MB
> Total size:     714 MB (70:44.52) = 318339
sectors
> Lout start:     714 MB (70:46/39) = 318339
sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
> ATIP info from disk:
>   Indicated writing power: 5
>   Is not unrestricted
>   Is not erasable
>   ATIP start of lead in:  -11640 (97:26/60)
>   ATIP start of lead out: 335100 (74:30/00)
> Disk type: Cyanine, AZO or similar
> Manuf. index: 3
> Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
> Blocks total: 335100 Blocks current: 335100
Blocks remaining: 16761
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in write
mode for single session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write in 1
seconds.
> Waiting for reader process to fill input-buffer
... input-buffer ready.
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:   0 of 621 MB written.CDB:  2A 00 00
00 01 20 00 00 10 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00
73 03 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration
area error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 34.275s timeout 40s
>
> write track data: error after 589824 bytes
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00
> CDB:  35 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00
2C 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x2C Qual 0x00 (command sequence
error) Fru 0x0

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: Re: Repartition EXT2 without data loss?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 20:07:00 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:05:00 GMT, Robert Heller wrote:

 >What you need to do is make a backup and then re-partition the disk,
 >re-install Linux and then restore the backup.

One doesn't need to "re-install Linux" if Linux + add-ons is
itself backed up. It depends on how close to a "vanilla" distribution
one has.  It might be more efficient to back up just
/etc, /home, /usr/local and /opt and restore the rest from
your CD,  but if you've installed hundreds of non-standard programs
as well, it might be easier to back up everything and restore
after re-partitioning.

An ext2resize program is in alpha testing right now. Check out freshmeat.

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.cdr.panasonic,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:12:58 GMT

Hi Jacob!

From: Latenar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:25:03 GMT

[----8<-----8<------]
[---->8----->8------]

> A chief example of this is the movement in the Linux community to demand
> refunds for the unused copy of Windows that is shipped with nearly all
> personal computers. They proclaimed February15th as Windows Refund Day,
> and
> published the “Windows Refund Newsletter” to show people how to get a
> refund from Microsoft. On the 15th they went to Microsoft offices all
> over
> the country with their disks and End User Licensing Agreement in hand
> and
> demanded their refunds.
>
> When I bought my computer, HP included a bunch of software that I never
> use. Where is my refund for all of this software? Furthermore, I am a
> non-smoker and never use the ash tray in my BMW. I am pretty sure that
> BMW
> would laugh me all the way back across the Atlantic if I showed up in
> Bavaria demanding my $39.95 and asking them to remove my ash tray.
>
> I would like to proclaim June 15th as Generic Refund Day. Please feel
> free
> to visit all of your favorite corporations to demand refunds for the
> extraneous stuff they give you that you don’t use. I will also be
> starting
> a Generic Refund newsletter ($15.00 + S&H; Sorry, no refunds!) to tell
> people how they can get refunds for all those useless things they get
> when
> they buy other things.
>
> In closing, I think the Linux community should grow up. No amount of
> whining and complaining is going to change the realities of life, so I
> will
> just stick with the AS/400 and be happy. Maybe I’ll see some of you at
> Generic Refund Day when I demand I refund from Dell for that damn
> useless Z
> key I never use. Oops, I guess that refund is history now!

BMW sells the ashtray as part of the car, and dell the key as part of the
keyboard.  When Compaq sells a computer with windows95 isntalled, they are
/forcing/ you (supposedly) to not only use, but buy (for $80) a non-compaq
product.  Moreover, to use windose, we must agree to the User End License
Agreement or wot-not.  If we do not, it is /illegal/ to use it.  So we say we
don't agree, we are not allowed to use the product, so they cannot make us pay
for it.  Simple.

As far as sekurity goes, in an open-source product you can /fix/ the holes,
rather than hope no-one notices it's there.  Just my two cents.
                                                                Latenar

^^^ ^^^                              ^^^                           ^^^ ^^^
^^please forward to the jerk who wrote the article if you have his email^^
--
|| |  |    |        |                |                |        |    |  | ||

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: login restrictions
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 12:49:07 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:7jro3e$nru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> How do I restrict a person from logging in as root?

Don't tell that person the root password?
Seriously, I don't understand what you mean.

jue
--
Jürgen Exner

------------------------------

From: vishwanath parakala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: redhat 6.0 secure ttys
Date: 15 Jun 1999 20:14:52 GMT

When I try to su, systems tells be "password is inactive" and logs me out ..
Any ideas?

Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <7jlpa1$j26$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Ryan Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I've been suffering the same frustration and just got off the
> telephone
>> with redhat support.  According to the engineer that I spoke with,
> root
>> telnet access has been removed completely from redhat 6.0.  No
>> workarounds whatsoever.

> That's a crock, because there most certainly is.  You can remove/disable
> the /etc/securetty file.  This will make root logins work from ANY
> telnet session, so use with caution.  However, what is wrong with
> telneting(sshing?) as your normal user and SUing to root?
>    Greg
> [SNIP]

> --
> It's pronounced "sexy" not "scuzzy"!

VISHWANATH PARAKALA
Home Page: http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~vishu
finger   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jeld The Dark Elf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Resolution in X
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:27:07 GMT

I presume that you use XFree86. In your config file
( /etc/X11/XF86Config or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config depending on the
distro you use ) there are ModeLines. These are the video timings for
your monitor. In the end of this file there are ... i think ... screen
sections where you have your video card your monitor your color depth
and resolutions supported by this combo. Find the screen section for
your card/monitor and add modes from ModeLines ( every ModeLine has a
name to it ). After that is done you can change resolution by pressing
Ctrl-Alt-KeypadPlus or KeypadMinus. After you decide what resolution
you want to use you can remove extra ModeLines and resolutions from
your config.

Things to RTFM: man page for XF86Config, XFree86-HOWTO, Video Timings
mini-HOWTO.

From: vishwanath parakala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet like root
Date: 15 Jun 1999 20:10:32 GMT

Mark Redding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>     I'm working with Red Hat 6.0. I can't telnet and login like root, but
>> like another account it's OK.
>>
>>     ¿How can I open a telnet session like root?
>>
>>     Thanks

> allowing root access from anything other than the console is a BIG no-no.
> What you should do is create a normal user and then give that user access to
> the same group that root belongs to, so that you can then "su -" to root once
> logged in as the normal user.

> I think the group is called staff (I usually do this to a FreeBSD box, and
> theirs is called wheel !!!).

U can telnet/rlogin as root ...
Check the "CONSOLE" section of your /etc/login.defs
Also chekc /etc/securetty

But as mark says ... avoid this
login as another user and use "su"

BTW, I have a problem
When I try to su , its says "password inactive".... any ideas?