Linux-Misc Digest #674, Volume #20               Thu, 17 Jun 99 16:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Still need to know (jik-)
  Re: Commercially speaking....? (Michael M Mason)
  Re: Linux systems- Poor security (John Thompson)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Terry Carmen)
  Re: Mail Relay - ? (mist)
  Apache =! resolv.conf, HOSTNAME  (gordo)
  automatically move data between directories ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux and Network Hardware ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Anyone got Soundblaster Live to work ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  gnucash anyone? (Douglas Nichols)
  URGENT bootp - does tftp initiate transfer or does server push kernel? ("Michael")
  win help files (Samuel Bridgeland)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (bill davidsen)
  RH6 & Xircom PCMCIA eth. help! (Jason Bechtel)
  Re: Trying a Linux command to a telnet port (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Make Linux support Win98 or NT hardware driver and TrueType fonts? ("Arthur Yeung")
  Re: NT cross compiler for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux systems- Poor security (John Thompson)
  view or delete file using inode? (John Thompson)
  Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux? (CK)
  Re: Linux systems- Poor security (M. Buchenrieder)
  /dev (network) problems (Phillip Powers)
  Problem setting up sound card in Linux ("Don Whitlow")
  Re: Netscape and pine...unusual question (Jose)
  Re: Shutting down as a normal user.. (Gerald Willmann)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:  (John Thompson)
  Re: Mail Relay - ? ("Terry Fielder")
  Re: Mail Relay - ? ("David E. Kindred")
  Wheel mouse ("Gabriele Frankemoelle")
  Re: libc6 on a libc5 system? (Tom Alsberg)

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Still need to know
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 05:23:01 -0700

jik- wrote:

> I want to make a bootable CDROM.  The CD-Writing HOWTO mentions this as
> posible and tacks a name to it but never explains how to go about it.  I
> also read a very short file somewere that went into more depth by saying
> you have to use LILO.....and the mkisofs man page has the command
> switches but I don't know what I am supposed to feed it.
>
> Could anyone explain the steps required to make a bootable CD, and is it
> possible to make a bootable ext2fs CD?

Can't anyone take a little time to at least site some places to look for
the answer?  I have looked around...as I stated...and can't get enough.
I answer your questions when I can, and will continue to do so....I do
it every day for many hours in various capacities and here I ask
something I am SURE someone knows well enough to respond and
nadda...zip...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael M Mason)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Commercially speaking....?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:54:52 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:17:51 -0700, "Chad Mulligan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Mark Evans wrote in message ...
>>Stuart Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> My point exactly - Microsoft should have put multitasking (and a lot of
>>> the other things that windows does) in DOS, instead of in Windows.
>>
>>DOS was part way there, indeed some non MS versions of DOS
>>were multi-tasking. And for that matter Concurrent CP/M was
>>also multi-tasking...
>
>Yeah, I remember double-DOS.  Anyone here ever been subjected to Pick?

Yes, me.  I take it you don't like it?

--
Regards --- Michael

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux systems- Poor security
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:43:04 -0600

Tim Philip Williams wrote:

> > AFAIK, linux' security is only as good as the effort put
> > forth to make it secure.  There are vulnerabilities, but
> > they should be pluggable if the administrator is willing to
> > put in the time to plug them.
> >
> > --
> >
> > -John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> But our administrator would probably argue that he hasn't got the time
> to learn all the specifics of each Linux distribution an all the PC's
> here.
> I think distributions should include a 'secure' setup as a configuration
> option, if there are any that do this ... please let me know!

Have you tried the "Linux Adminstrator's Security Guide?"

http://www.seifried.org/lasg/

It's a good place to start anyway.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Carmen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:00:18 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 21:25:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark S. Bilk) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>[Mark Bilk wrote:]
>>
>>Compiler writers have a long and storied history of this kind of thing:
>>they like to write specific optimizations for well-known benchmarks so
>>their compilers look better in comparisons--but most benchmarks are
>>fairly poor at emulating real-life usage so these kinds of targeted
>>optimizations almost never result in any real code running faster.
>
>Exactly.  I think there was a compiler in the early PC era
>that emitted a hand-optimized routine for the "Sieve of
>Eratosthenes" prime number algorithm, since that was used
>as a benchmark by Byte magazine and others.

Sometime after that, there was a video card that was coded to blow
through some particular PC metric software (Winbench?). It looked
really impressive and had a lot of sales until it was disclosed.

Terry

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mail Relay - ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:30:49 +0100

Geoff Hibble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>I have a linux server with two nic cards and hence two ips.  Two domain
>names a.com and b.com have DNS to the two ips.  My linux server knows
>itself (domainname) as a.com.  When I send mail to me at b.com it says
>that a.com is not a mail relay.  How do I make it so that emailing me at
>a.com or b.com deposits mail on the server?

I'd imagine that the MTA on a.com does not realise that it is supposed
to be accepting mail for b.com as well and therefore refuses it.  Set up
the MTA to accept mail for b.com.
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (gordo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setupcomp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Apache =! resolv.conf, HOSTNAME
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:31:52 GMT

 I'm getting comfused over the way the OS +
Apache use the resolv.conf file.

I've used the linuxconfig utility for this and i'd like to stop using
it at this point. What conf files for the OS need to be edited?

I can get the web server running but when I request a page from
Netscape, it claims it's "busy". The web server claims it needs a
SERVERNAME to work. I gave it that in the httpd.conf (contrary to what
the apache doc said)

All I want is to run the web server as stand-alone.  should this be
blank?

Please help. i really want to be a stronger linux user and become
independent of windows.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: automatically move data between directories
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:24:25 GMT

hi

i have a website on a unix system.  i want to have a form that people
can fill out with their name adress and so on.  i then want to have the
data in the form go to a directory that is password protected.

the only way i can think of to do this is to have a script write the
form data to a temp file, then have a script in the passwd directory
that is on an endless loop that takes  information from the temp file,
erases temp file  and appends it to a file in the secure directory then
sleeps for a while...is there a better way to do this

mike cardeiro

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux and Network Hardware
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:28:22 GMT

Hi,

Sorry about my last post - 'modprobe' was unknown to me at the time.
That aside, I was wondering if there are any drivers available for these
unnamed LinkSys HomeLink cards?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Anyone got Soundblaster Live to work
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:51:02 GMT

Hi there,
Wanna try: http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux  ?
There you'll find sblive-0.2b.tar.gz (beta version)
The install documentation is included but there is no further info.

Cheers,

Amilkar Duarte
QUERETARO, MEXICO

From: Douglas Nichols <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnucash anyone?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:19:48 +0000

Is anyone using gnucash? If you are and have it working....
  1 - How did you get it working? I have it installed, with
all of the required libraries. I cannot create any accounts
or .... about anything except exit.
  2 - When it starts it obviously wants something.
Everything I've guess about so far has not made a
difference.
  3 - Well thats about it sofar.

Cheers

Douglas Nichols

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: URGENT bootp - does tftp initiate transfer or does server push kernel?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:37:27 +0100

I have read the Diskless HOWTO and the man pages on BOOTPD and TFTPD.

I understand that the client sends it ethernet address out on a broadcast
packet that a server will respond to (if it can) by replying with the nodes
assigned IP (or DHCP gets involved I am worried about fixed IP right now).

BOOTP config file has the file name etc.  I know that BOOTP uses tftp, but
does bootp invoke tftp to push the kernel to the client or does the bootp
client, on the node, invoke the tftp client on the node after the node
receives its IP and the servers IP from the reply?

In short:

Which system initiates the file transfer using tftp, server or client?
Does bootp invoke tftp directly?  If not, how is it done?

Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Samuel Bridgeland)
Subject: win help files
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:05:12 GMT

Does anyone know of a Windows help file viewer for linux?

--
Samuel Bridgeland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Retest News
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:41:57 GMT

In article <7k9bl0$gmo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Yan Seiner wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
| >By comparison, cdrom.com, the busiest site on the web, runs on one
| >PPro...  One guess at the OS....
|
| Yeah, I was out there today, attempting to download Slackware 4.  Boy has it
| slowed down since my OS/2 days. BTW, does anyone know if this new Slackware
| version has ftp capability in the installer yet?  If not I might right them
| one.  Nfs my sore but.

No, I don't recall seeing any such thing on the installation options.
But I sent Patrick mail after trying a snapshot, and he did put PL/IP in
the network install boot kernel, which makes laptop install a bunch
easier.

SW 4.0 is really boring, installed it on two machines, no problems, no
thinking beyond disk and net config, I could get used to this
instantly. I did chicken out and use bare.i to install on an SMP
machine, but I may try smp.i just for the experience.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:47:54 -0500
From: Jason Bechtel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: RH6 & Xircom PCMCIA eth. help!

It's the strangest thing.  I'm hoping someone out there has run into
this before and found a way to make it work...

I've installed RH6.0 fresh on my laptop.  It is a little flaky on
detecting the Xircom IIps ethernet PCMCIA card, but even when it does
detect it properly, it still can't complete a connection to this
network.  I and the sysadmin of the network have been working on it
together and can't figure it out.  Here's the situation:

The network runs dhcp.  I go into Enlightenment and then GNOME-Linuxconf
and Basic Host Information.  I set the hostname to jabby.cs.ua.edu and
then go to adapter 1.  I can set it up as dhcp and enter a hostname and
domain and put it on eth0.  I accept the changes and it updates the
ifcfg-eth0 file.  I restart the network and while there is traffic
coming to the card, it can't assign IP information.  I go back into
Basic Host information and the hostname and domain under adapter 1 are
gone.  That is consistent.

So, since dhcp isn't working, we try it manually:  We setup default
gateway, static IP (valid and ok w/ sysadmin), eth0, netmask all
correctly...  Now we restart the network.  There's no complaint about
the IP address and there's traffic on the line again, but we can't even
ping the gateway!  Am I missing some critical driver that is necessary?
My card is in the /etc/pcmcia/config database and it is (usually)
detected just fine.

Please help!

TIA
Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Trying a Linux command to a telnet port
Date: 17 Jun 1999 18:55:34 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:02:20 +0200, Klaas Barends wrote:

>How about making /usr/bin/lynx the default shell of a user. By editing
>the
>/etc/passwd file and add /usr/bin/lynx to your /etc/shells. When a user

that was one of my suggestions.

>Or is there something I am missing here?

The reason for my suggestion of using rbash is that rbash is an effective
way of boxing in the user ie possibly increasing the chances that they
can't run anything besides lynx.

I am not sure if there would be much or any advantage to doing this though.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Arthur Yeung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware,ed.linux,fj.os.linux.setup,it.comp.linux.setup
Subject: Make Linux support Win98 or NT hardware driver and TrueType fonts?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:49:57 +0800

Is it possible to make Linux support Win98 or WinNT hardware driver and also
TrueType Fonts?  It is just like the way Bleem(TM) use emulation method to
play Playstation's game and use unlimited software resources of Playstation.
If it comes true, Linux programmers could save much effort to write hardware
drivers and fonts.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: gnu.gcc.help,gnu.g++.help,alt.linux
Subject: Re: NT cross compiler for Linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:35:48 GMT

Well, he's half right.  I have been looking into creating the
cross-compiler myself since no one seems to have anything useful to say
about this subject.  Basically what needs to happen is that you need to
compile gcc/g++ on an NT machine, but tell it that the target OS is
linux.  But, as I mention below, creating a cross compiler seems to be
quite a significant task, and the instructions for doing so are cryptic
at best.

I have tried doing this twice, once with the normal gnu distribution
source, and once with Cygnus' source.  Both compilations fail for
various reasons.  I don't suppose anyone else out there has some
experience creating a cross-compiler using either of these two
methods and would be willing to help (or at least offer me some advice)?

Thanks,
Curt

In article <7kapkd$hhs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> That doesn't sound right. The implication is that objects compiled on
NT

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:32:11 -0600

Bezalel Geretz wrote:

> Just wondering how do you secure a file in UNIX so the administrator cannot
> read it?

Move it to a floppy and take it home with you.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: view or delete file using inode?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:52:19 -0600

Is there some way to view or delete a file using the inode
number?  I have a peculiarly-named file in /usr that I can't
seem to access in any way to see the contents or remove:

 110773 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root        66560 Jan 10
12:30 s????qq???

Wild-cards don't touch this thing.

Thanks...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: CK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Best sound card for use w/ Linux?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:38:26 GMT

Not all Creative cards are a snap.
Like my SoundBlaster Live! is a nightmare to setup.  the ISA cards are
fine.
a guy in my LUG sent me this which may be appropriate here:

ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture folks) have called for a boycott
of Creative Labs. Specifically they are refusing to release any code and
only binary drivers that are 'flaky'. Since the drivers are not included
in the kernel they will never be officially supported. (Unless Creative
releases the programming specs like they originally agreed to.)

Trident now has an employee on staff to develope linux drivers for their
sound devices. All the code is then donated to ALSA under the GPL. I
recently picked up one of their 4DWave cards and have been impressed
(low cost too).

http://www.alsa-project.org

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:31:33 GMT

Tim Philip Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>"M. Buchenrieder" wrote:

[...]

>> Yawn. If you don't know what you're doing, don't put a Linux
>> box on the net.

>My Linux system was OK!

Sorry. I didn't mean that personally. It's just a matter of fact that
people tend to install a machine and hook it up to the network
without taking the time to at least inform themselves beforehand
about what it means to be administering a UN*X box.

[...]

>I don't think they have the time to research all the security holes in
>all the various Linux distributions that people use here.  They have
>always left it up to us to secure our systems ... and some of us have
>failed to do that because we are not expert administrators. They *are*
>Unix experts because we have MANY commercial Unix's here and only Linux
>has been hacked in the past (multiple occasions).

Linux is much more widespread that other UN*X variants, especially as far
as the typical script kid is concerned.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: Phillip Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /dev (network) problems
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:30:57 -0400

Greeting,

    Recently my hard drive became corrupt, and after (what seemed like)
hours with e2fsck, I finally got my box booted up again. My problem is,
many of my devices are not operating correctly. Most notably, I can no
longer use any terminal programs (eg xterm) in Xwindows. When I view the
output, I receive the message "No availably ptys." I do have /dev/pty*
there, however. Also, when I try to telnet in, I get the message
"telnetd: All network ports in use." Can anyone please explain how I can
fix this?

Thanks,
Phillip Powers

From: "Don Whitlow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem setting up sound card in Linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:41:26 -0500

Ok, so I gave up my old pc that had a nice Soundblaster compatible ISA sound
card in it that just plain worked when I setup Linux. Now I have a new
whiz-bang fast system, with just about PCI everything, including a PnP
Trident-Based 4DWave Sound card.

I seem to be having problems loading the sb module, where I continually get
a dsp reset error while loading the module. So far the only advise I have
gotten is to disable PnP OS in the BIOS, which I confirmed I had already
done.

So now, my guess is that I have an IRQ conflict somewhere. I guess what I'm
asking is if there is a way in to mess with IRQs and Addresses for PCI PnP
cards, like there is for ISA cards? Obviously I have setserial for my COM
ports, but I haven't come across anything for other cards, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It's much appreciated.

Don

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jose)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,netscape.public.mozilla.unix
Subject: Re: Netscape and pine...unusual question
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:48:20 GMT

Well, I think that if you set Netscape to "leave messages on mail
server" Netscape won't be able to delete any of your email.  That way
Pine can read them as well.  Hope this can be a direction for you

Jose

------------------------------

From: Gerald Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shutting down as a normal user..
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:26:16 -0700

>   Anthony DeLuca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How come I can't shutdown or reboot as a normal user.  [...]

how come ???  Unix/linux is multiuser and it is most definitely not a good
idea to allow any normal user to shut down the system - I at least
wouldn't want my wife to be able to shut down our linux box at home while
I'm using it remotely from where I work.
                                              Gerald

PS: why would you want to shut down at all, btw?

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:46:46 -0600

I R A Aggie wrote:

> On 16 Jun 1999 12:51:36 -0400, Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [about IE under Solaris]
>
> +   - It doesn't have any features except the browser (no mail, no news
> +     client, no editor, etc.)

> You say that like it is a bad thing.

Well, given his other point that the IE/Solaris browser is
just as bloated as the whole Communicator suite, I'm
inclined to agree that it's a bad thing.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Terry Fielder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:04:02 GMT

You need to tell the mail service (sendmail?) that it answers for both
domains.  I will assume you are using sendmail.  In which case you need to
set the sendmail configuration file   "sendmail.cw"  (or whichever file is
defined in the sendmail.cf directive "Fw/etc/sendmail.cw") to contain a list
of the names (aliases) for your machine...

Terry Fielder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David E. Kindred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:41:09 -0500

I'm no sendmail expert, but we just had a similar error (different
situation) but we resolved it by adding a file in /etc/mail/ called
relay-domains and adding the domains that are allowed to relay mail
throught the mail host.  So I guess in your case you could try adding both
a.com and b.com to the file on separate lines and restart sendmail and see
if that works.

Good luck.
Dave K.

------------------------------

From: "Gabriele Frankemoelle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wheel mouse
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:06:03 +0200

Good eve, everyone!

Bad news? The manual says "Logitech Mouse Man - the Mouse that Scrolls in
Windows 95" - but does it scroll in Linux, too? So far I haven't figured out
the correct settings - if there are any - to assign any function to the
wheel. Does anyone use a wheel mouse and has ten minutes to tell a newbie
what to do?

Thanx,
Gabriele Frankemoelle

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.tripod.com/gfra/

------------------------------

From: Tom Alsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: libc6 on a libc5 system?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:01:10 +0300

  I am considering to buy many Linux distros to choose the one that best
fits me, wondering if anyone knows of a complete list of Linux distros
and their libc versions? which libc does the following Linux distros
use?:

  Red Hat 6.0
  Debian 2.1
  Linux Pro 5.4