Linux-Misc Digest #678, Volume #20               Thu, 17 Jun 99 22:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: No mouse in Quake 2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux-friendly ISP that covers Canada and USA ? (Alain Southiere)
  Linux vs. Windoze NT - new security hole found in NT. (Alex Lam)
  Linux box for computer newbies : suggestions please ! (Alain Southiere)
  Re: Very new to Redhat.....a few dumb questions ("joe")
  Re: Linux jingle ("Chad Mulligan")
  Re: capturing an image ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Very new to Redhat.....a few dumb questions (mike dombrowski)
  Re: Mindcraft Times Three Microsoft (L J Bayuk)
  /dev/sndstat and modules sound-slot-0 and sound-service-0-6 ? (root)
  Re: Journaled filesystem for Linux ? (Oracle) (Christopher Browne)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Jason O'Rourke)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Shice Beoney)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Jason O'Rourke)
  sendmail anti-spam question (Tim Moss)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ("Stuart Fox")
  Re: Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition (John Thompson)
  Re: lpr:connection refused (L J Bayuk)
  Squid: opening ports? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: BIOS problems! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,ch.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: No mouse in Quake 2
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:11:56 GMT

In article <7k8hld$sue$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Al Kooz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm using RH 6.0 and I just recently installed Quake 2 on my machine.
I'm
> using the 3dfx rpm's and glide, and I'm linking it through the
miniport
> driver not through mesa. When I start Quake 2 from the console (with
no X
> running). My mouse is acting totally weird and I can't use it. I have
gpm
> stopped.
> Can anybody tell me what the problem is ?
>
> thanx
> al

Check your mouse-settings in /etc/vga/libvga.config.

Bye

Pizza

Pizzamampf
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pizzamampf.de/index.htm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alain Southiere)
Subject: Linux-friendly ISP that covers Canada and USA ?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 23:43:17 GMT

   I'm trying to find a nation-wide ISP that has good
coast-to-coast coverage in Canada and in the USA. Of
course, it must be Linux-friendly !

   Further, the ISP must have a local number in New-
Brunswick, preferably in Caraquet or at least in
Bathurst.

--
Alain Southiere             | If fifty million people
Software developer          | say a stupid thing, it is

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Linux vs. Windoze NT - new security hole found in NT.
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:00:15 -0700

So what's all the fuzz about the new Windoze NT vs. Linux server bench
test?

Isn't it it's more important to have a stable and secure server than a
few mindless
bench points advantage?

 New security hole found in NT server
 check out http://www.eeye.com/index.html

Alex Lam.

*Remove all the upper case X if reply by e mail.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alain Southiere)
Subject: Linux box for computer newbies : suggestions please !
Date: 18 Jun 1999 00:10:21 GMT

   My parents are now retired and will be traveling a lot.
They will need an inexpensive way to keep in touch and
do basic computing tasks. My mother is a little familiar
with Netscape, but that's about it.

   So, I'm thinking about getting a laptop that's a couple
of years old (I could have a good price on a P133 Thinkpad,
20MB RAM and 1.3 GB HD, which should be sufficient, IMHO).

   The computer will be mainly used for Internet access.
I pretty much have my mind set on using Linux for this.
Now, keep in mind that my parent are neophytes with
computers, so the prime requirement is ease of use !

   I'm leaning toward KDE for the desktop, since It
seems to be most most friendly for beginners. For
WWW, news and e-mail, I'm pretty sure I'll install
Navigator. My mother is already familiar with it (for
WWW, at least). Any other graphical WWW, Usenet and
mail client I should consider ?

   They'll possibly need some application suite, for
this, I was thinking about StarOffice. But what about
KOffice ? Is it far enough and easy enough to be used
by beginners ?

   Since they'll be away most of the time, a nice touch
would be that I could remotely install software and do
maintenance on the laptop. I think telnet should prove
sufficient, but since I'm not too familar with remote
adminitration, I'd like some advice about this.

   They'll be traveling a lot, so an intelligent dialer
would be of big help. What I mean by that is some kind
of dialer that can automatically dials the nearest
branch of the ISP, just by entering the city you're
in. Is there such a dialer for Linux ?

   I don't want to start any flamewar, but I'm also
wandering which distribution would be the best for
such a setup. I'm familiar with RedHat and have used
SlackWare in the past, but I was thinking about using
the latest OpenLinux, since it seems they have the best
KDE support and is the easiest one to install, if they
ever run into trouble while away.

   Any other advice for such a beginner's machine ?

From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Very new to Redhat.....a few dumb questions
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:05:37 -0500

Thanx, fellas......i just got my new USB Intellimouse .......geez that
stinks :P
I guess I'll hook my old mouse back up and give it a shot that way....at
least it'll give me an idea whether Linux is gonna be a fair trade off for
the USB Intellimouse.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux jingle
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:05:03 -0700

James Thurston wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>WIndows '95 used the Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" - I wonder what
>other Stones song would be suitable for Linux.... Hmmm.....
>
>Mothers' Little Helper?
>
>{grin}

'Sympathy for the devil' ?

<Grin>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: capturing an image
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:11:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
roe  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there an equivelant to Win9x capturing the image on the desktop?
>Windows used alt-print screen.  Is there something I can use in linux to
>do this?
>And if so, where would I paste this image???
>
>Thanks

There are various utilities for capturing part of a screen.  I personally
like to use 'import' one of the programs in the ImageMagick suite.  I
never tried to capture a whole screen, but let's say I wanted to capture
what netscape was showing, I'd enter the command (from a shell)
        "import netscape.png"

Then click in the netscape window and it would save it in png format as
a file, or I could say "import netscape.jpg" if I wanted jpeg format.
If I wanted to print it, I'd use ps (or convert to ps using the imagemagick
'convert' program) then print it using ghostscript.

--
       ---- Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mike dombrowski)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:09:45 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:31:43 -0400, Michael Tefft
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>joe wrote:
>>
>> As i said.....I am very new to linux and Red Hat. i bought Linux Unleashed,
>> which came with Red Hat 5.1. I know 6.0 is out , but I figured I could learn
>> a little then upgrade later as i am bound to make a mess out of it to start
>> with.  :-)
>>
>> My book doesn't match the software that came with it, even remotely....so i
>> just wanted to ask a few simple questions.
>>
>> 1. I have a Win98 hard drive and a red Hat hard drive...I am starting Red
>> Hat from a floppy at present, which is ok.....but I haven't successfully
>> configured XFree86......how do i access files on my win98 HD and copy them
>> to my Linux HD. I cannot successfully mount the hda1....it tells me there is
>> no hda1.
>>
>> 2. Is a USB Intellimouse supported at all?? I keep seeing Bus mouse...are
>> they the same? I think i can get X going , but i get an error concerning the
>> mouse and it fails to start.
>>
>> sorry for the newbie stuff.....blame SAMS Publishing, they should write
>> about the software that comes with their book..I believe most of this book
>> was written when a 386 was an average PC.
>
>There is no USB support for Linux as yet.
Are you postitive? I recall seeing a usb linux page that had basic
support, doesn't the imac kdb/mouse work?

-Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: Mindcraft Times Three Microsoft
Date: 18 Jun 1999 00:24:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>The first Mindcraft report was muddled in execution, and we were
>lucky that there was so much negative press about it, mostly for
>a good reason.  But it also showed that Apache and Linux both
>have performance weaknesses which need to be addressed.
>In effect we got the benefit from the benchmark without the
>bad publicity.  Microsoft is pissed off because of this.
>Mindcraft wants this as well, because their reputation got
>hurt badly the first time around.
>It is our right to do refuse participation until we are ready
>- after all, one of the main strengths of OSS is that stuff
>isn't released until it's ready.  But instead, we are playing
>directly into Microsoft's hands.

Here's what I would do: agree to the benchmark, provided that
performance/price ratio is the bottom line. So, even if NT Server comes
out 100x faster than Linux, at $800 per licensed box, versus Linux at $0
per box, why that must make Linux infinitely superior. (But we already
know that.)

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /dev/sndstat and modules sound-slot-0 and sound-service-0-6 ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:35:08 -0400

Uwe Kr=FCger wrote:
> =

> =

> In SuSE Linux (I have 6.1) the following two lines are commented out
> by default in /usr/X11R6/bin/kde
> =

> startifaudio kaudioserver
> startifaudio kwmsound
> =

> If you activate them perhaps everything might work.
> =

> Uwe
> =

        Thanks for your suggestion.  I have them enabled, so no joy there.  But =
looked at /usr/X11R6/bin/kde and traced the problem to the following line=
 in
function startifaudio()

TESTVAR=3D`grep -A1 "Audio devices" /dev/sndstat | tail -n 1`

in particular, the line

grep -A1 "Audio devices" /dev/sndstat causes the message =

modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0-6

to appear in /var/log/messages

        If I attempt to do

more /dev/sndstat

        I get both messages in /var/log/messages:

modprobe: can't locate module sound-slot-0
modprobe: can't locate module sound-service-0

        If I try:

echo "1" > /dev/sndstat

I get an error message:
bash: /dev/sndstat: Operation not supported by device

and the two messages given above appear in /var/log/messages.

although it works for

cat "1" > /dev/dsp

        Does anybody know what or where these modules are?  Are they supposed to=
 be
installed as part of kde?  Is /dev/sndstat supposed to act this way?

-- =

  .~.         Powered by SuSE Linux 6.0
  /V\         Sometimes, you get more than you paid for...
_// \\_       Return address is for spambots.  True address is:
 (\ /)        garyc at istar dot ca
 ^`~'^        Gary C. P. Eng.  DSP & Embedded software engineer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Subject: Re: Journaled filesystem for Linux ? (Oracle)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:20:06 GMT

On 12 Jun 1999 03:35:52 GMT, Philip Brown
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>There are rumors that Oracle for Linux 8.0.5 isn't correctly
>>coded (no fsync at the right time).
>>A journaled filesystem would be a solution.
>
>?? what is the "right time"?
>
>And why are you using filesystems to beging with? I thought everyone used
>raw partitions for databases anyways.
>
>Botton line: Get a UPS, with proper software, and ensure that the machine
>shuts down cleanly under power fail situations.
>Oh. And turn ON the safety features of the filesystem. Unfortunatley, I'm more
>a solaris guru than a linux one. But I hear the difference between
>defaults on solaris and linux, is that solaris defaults to "slow but safe"
>and linux defaults to "unsafe and fast".
>So change the mount options on linux to be "slow but safe".
>
>Not as good as a journaled filesystem, but better than what you
>probably have.

Recent ReiserFS discussions have suggested the idea of pushing recent
updates into NVRAM on motherboards that support this, thereby providing
the recommendation that if you want reliability, buy a MOBO that
supports NVRAM, and use it.

Supposing we could get massively more reliable *and* fast systems as a
result of an extra $100 spent on NVRAM hardware on a server's
motherboard, methinks this could make the inclusion of NVRAM a dominant
factor in "server system selection."

The discussion presently represents "daydreaming" rather than actually
implemented code, but that's where the ideas that get implemented come
from, and the people talking about it *do* plan to implement at least
*some* of the daydreams.  And if this were supported, I'd personally be
quite willing to spend an extra $100 on my next motherboard so as to
attain such support...
--
Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linuxkernel.html>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason O'Rourke)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:38:03 -0700

Craig Kelley  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If you develop NT applications, your scalability lies in how many
>machines you can cluster.  (How many IIS servers does microsoft.com
>have again?)

Before moving to IIS, they ran www.ms.com on 4 Sparcs.  (Admittedly the
load was lighter then).  I believe they transitioned initially to 100 IIS
machines.  (from memory of a conversation with a guy that worked there
during this time)
--
Jason O'Rourke  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.jor.com
'96 BMW r850R

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shice Beoney)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:25:34 GMT

On 17 Jun 1999 20:58:38 GMT in comp.os.linux.networking,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown) uttered the following
profound gem of wisdom:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:07:43 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>      That's likely because once you've gotten to single machines
>>      that NT is supposed to scale better on you're in Sun
>>      UltraSparc Enterprise territory in terms of price.
>>

>depends.
>
>a quad-CPU pentium is still a lot cheaper than a comparable quad sparc box.
>damn, sparc CPUs are *EXPENSIVE*....
>
>I mean, a good pentium cpu is $1000, but a good sparc can be $3000 or more.
>ugh.

There's a difference between price and value. If you compare a 500 MHz
PII, or Xeon with a Sun 500 MHz processor purely on MHz and price
alone, then sure the Pentium looks better. But there's more to it than
the raw MHz.

At the (relatively) small business where I work, the primary webserver
is a Sun Sparc 20 with a 60 Mhz processor and 96 Megs/RAM. It's been
there for about a year, replacing it's predecessor, a nearly identical
computer, except with a 30 Mhz processor. The previous one ran for 4
years, going nearly 24/7 during that time, hosting over 200 html
pages, including one site which gets on average 3 million hits/month.
There are also about 200 individual message boards (perl/cgi-based)
which get fairly heavy traffic, about 5 large databases with close to
a grand total of 25 thousand records between them.

The only reason the old one was replaced (with a model almost the
same) was because the motherboard finally gave out. Sure a box with a
30 MHz Intel processor would have cost less (or even one with a 60
Mhz), but I doubt it would have lasted that long, have been that
stable, or as fast (Can a 30-60 Mhz intel board even handle 96
Megs/RAM?) even if it had been running Solaris or Linux. And when it
finally did go down, we were able to get a new one from Sun the next
day.

>So if there is something that is highly [non-FP] CPU-based, an intel+solaris
>box is still more cost effective than a sparc box.

Really depends upon what you want it for.

--
"Windows has detected the presence of a more efficient, faster,
and more reliable Operating System installed on your system.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason O'Rourke)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Retest News
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:45:50 -0700

Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes, because they couldn't be sure that DR-DOS would support Windows.  And I
>believe the code was removed in the final release...

Not quite.  In the final release, they added a flag and set if to skip the
offending code.  It made it quite easy for MS, should they choose to do
so, to reinstate the subroutine with a single byte change.

Your defense is poor - if they were so concerned about dr dos supporting
it, they could simply state it in the readme docs.  Instead they
deliberately made sure it wouldn't work.  And then they left in the code
to be sure of it.  In my view, a more gross offense than much of what's in
the current trial.

Too bad they never found a smoking gun for the lotus problems with dos.

From: Tim Moss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sendmail anti-spam question
Date: 17 Jun 1999 18:41:29 PDT

I am getting spam with To: From: and Reply-To: addresses from with in my
own domain (we'll call it acmecorp.com).

Here is an example, modified to protect the innocent:

Date: 12 Jun 99 7:11:06 PM
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

These user names (cworks2, cwool2, and cwool1) are not valid users in my
mail system. Can I configure sendmail to reject messages if the To:
From: or Reply-To:
is from my domain but is not a valid user? I don't understand how this
got through
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] when the headers say [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc.
If you could also explain how they did that, that would be great.

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 13:40:44 +1200

Jason O'Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7kc4ru$65n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >Yes, because they couldn't be sure that DR-DOS would support Windows.
And I
> >believe the code was removed in the final release...
>
> Not quite.  In the final release, they added a flag and set if to skip the
> offending code.  It made it quite easy for MS, should they choose to do
> so, to reinstate the subroutine with a single byte change.
>
> Your defense is poor - if they were so concerned about dr dos supporting
> it, they could simply state it in the readme docs.  Instead they
> deliberately made sure it wouldn't work.  And then they left in the code
> to be sure of it.  In my view, a more gross offense than much of what's in
> the current trial.

Your logic is even worse.  You note above that the subroutine was skipped.
Did they reinstate that routine?  I would have thought that a prudent
manufacturer would have to be sure they could support it.  If they didn't,
that would leave them open to lawsuits in the litigious USA.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Parition Magic 4.01 obliterated my ext2 partition
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:20:39 -0600

Walt Shekrota wrote:

> This is what I have heard. PM has always worked for me too but based on
> recent reports, I refuse to use it anymore.

I've been using Partition Magic since v2.x and never had a
problem with it.  But I have heard of problems from people I
trust, so I do backup before using it.

> And all this talk of 'backing up' so you can use PM! If you're going to the
> trouble of backing up the system then why use PM at all. Just restore
> to a reformatted space.

Let's see: My way 1.5hrs to backup, run Partition Magic to
do whatever it is I need, reboot, if it works, I'm home
free; if not another 1.5hrs to restore from the tape.  That
means the best case takes 1.5 hours; worst case 3 hours.

Your way: backup for 1.5hrs, repartition, then restore for
another 1.5hrs.  That's 3 hours minimum, no matter how you
cut it.  I figure I can shave 1.5 hours off your time using
Partition Magic, and if for some reason it doesn't work I'm
no worse off than if I did it your way.  And in either case
I end up with a current backup on tape, which is a Good
Thing to have whether or not you are repartitioning your
system.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: lpr:connection refused
Date: 18 Jun 1999 00:30:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> The Problem is, that the file /dev/printer go lost. If I want print or
>> restart the printer with lpc I become
>> the error: connect: Connection refused
>>
>> The files /dev/lp[0...2] exist.
>>

>Shouldn't /dev/printer be a symlink to the actual /dev/lp? device that has the
>printer attached ?

No, neither a symlink nor a pipe (mknod p).
On my system (which is older, so it might be different), /dev/printer is
a Unix Domain Socket (UDS) file. You cannot create this with mknod.
The lpd has to create it itself, and then it listens here for connections
from the local host.

Regarding the original post: Make sure lpd is running (as root),
and netstat -an shows a LISTENING "Unix domain socket" at /dev/printer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Squid: opening ports?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:03:10 -0700

I am running RedHat 5.2 and Squid 2.2  STABLE2 w/ SquidGuard redirecter.
The server is sitting behind a Cisco 1600 w/ cisco's firewall software.
Everything has been working great. However I have a user that needs to
get to a page that requires all TCP traffic to be passed on port 2026. I
have bypassed the proxy and successfully accessed the page, so I'm
pretty sure it's not the firewall on the cisco.  I have read that squid
will pass all ports by default, and have not intentionally blocked any
ports.
Does anyone have any ideas?
                                                        Thanks for the
help.

Mike

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: BIOS problems!
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 01:07:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mike Kerr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to disable the plug and play feature through my comp's BIOS
> because I think it's screwing up my NIC card. I'm running RH 5.1 on a
> Compaq Prolinea 590 computer. Does anyone know what the shortcut to
BIOS
> key might be while my comp is booting?
> Thanks.
> Mike

Mike,
If you deleted the setup partition on the hard drive you're going to
have to download the setup stuff from Compaq.  If not, just hit delete
or is it f10? (it IS one of 'em) as the machine boots.  You may get a
blinking block in the upper right hand corner that lets you know when to
do it.