  postgres prob, dbase recommeation (Matthew Fleming)

From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
Date: 18 Jun 1999 16:54:47 +0200

Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Skeet) writes:

> > >   This sounds like prior constraint, which is supposed to be a no-no.
> > >   While it is true that the rule of law exists to ensure that self-
> > >   ish idiots do not interfere with the idiots of others, pre-emptively
> > >   taking devices away doesn't fall into such a category.
> >
> > Again I say - what about nukes? Do you support a citizen's right to own a
> > nuke? Why should one law apply to a gun and one to a nuke?
>
> the musket/rifle has been a great democratizer.

Yes.  The Spanish and Portuguese used it to democratize a lot of
America, for example.  Later the English democratized further areas of
it.  I cannot even mention all the democratization done in Europe.

> in the middle ages only a few rich folk could be knights (and wield
> great military power).  the gun allowed anyone to own the most
> effective military weapon.

You are not mixing up periods, per chance?  The area of knighthood was
ended by the longbow and the crossbow, as well as the Mongolians.
There were quite a few butcherings before the message was got across.

In particular the materials for making a reasonably good longbow were
quite available.

> a person cannot own a nuclear bomb because he doesn't have the cash
> to buy one nor the ability to build one.

Forget it.  Bill Gates could have paid the entire Gulf War, if he had
wanted to, and I guess the resources of many a popstar (some of which
would possess the brainlessness required for the enterprise) would be
sufficient, too.  Instructions for building atom bombs are available
easily.

> one foolish person with a nuclear bomb can kill and destroy many.  one
> foolish person with a gun cannot kill so many.  if 1 out of a million
> people are homicidal maniacs, the gun can only kill a few dozen.

What is all the excitement in the U.S. about school shootings, then,
if "only a few dozen" people get killed by each of those?

--
David Kastrup                                     Phone: +49-234-700-5570
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Fax: +49-234-709-4209

------------------------------

From: Sybren Stuvel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ok...need help with Banshee XF86Config]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:36:54 +0000

==============88E145F4ED20AC6A48D471FA

Hi Don!

I've got the Diamond Monster Fusion running at 800x600x16bpp, without any
problem. I use the XFree86_3DFX-XF86Setup-3.3.3-2 and
XFree86_3DFX-SVGA-3.3.3-2 packages. Here is my XF86Config file attached.

Good luck!

Sybren Stuvel

Don Whitlow wrote:

> Does anyone have a working XF86Config file they can share with me for a
> Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee card? I downloaded the updated SVGA server
> and XF86Setup file, but can't seem to get any resolutions better than
> 640x480x8bpp. I'd like to run 1024x768 x at least 15 or 16bpp.
>
> Anyone got this working? If so, can you email me a copy of your
> XF86Config file? Would be much appreciated, and save me a lot of hair.
>
> Thanks,
> Don

==============88E145F4ED20AC6A48D471FA

# XF86Config auto-generated by XF86Setup
#
# Copyright (c) 1996 by The XFree86 Project, Inc.

#
# Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
# copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"),
# to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation
# the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense,
# and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the
# Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
#
# The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
# all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
#
# THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
# IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
# FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.  IN NO EVENT SHALL
# THE XFREE86 PROJECT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF
# OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
# SOFTWARE.
#
# Except as contained in this notice, the name of the XFree86 Project shall
# not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or other
# dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from the
# XFree86 Project.
#

# See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 5
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbKeymap       "xfree86(us)"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc101"
   XkbLayout       "us"
   XkbOptions      "ctrl:swapcaps"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IntelliMouse"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   BaudRate        1200
   Resolution      100
   Buttons         3
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Sybrens EMC"
   VendorName      "EMC"
   ModelName       "Sybrens monitor"
   HorizSync       31.5,35.15,35.5
   VertRefresh     55-90
   Modeline  "800x600"    36.00 800 820 892 1024 600 601 603 625
   Modeline  "640x480"    25.18 640 672 768 800 480 491 493 525
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Diamond Monster Fusion"
   VendorName      "Diamond"
   BoardName       "Monster Fusion Banshee"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Generic VGA"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   BoardName       "Unknown"
   Chipset         "generic"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "Diamond Monster Fusion"
   Monitor         "Sybrens EMC"
   DefaultColorDepth 24
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        15
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        16
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        24
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        32
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
[...]

   Driver          "VGA16"
   Device          "Generic VGA"
   Monitor         "Sybrens EMC"
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        4
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      Virtual       800 600
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "VGA2"
   Device          "Generic VGA"
   Monitor         "Sybrens EMC"
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        1
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      Virtual       800 600
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Fleming)
Subject: postgres prob, dbase recommeation
Date: 18 Jun 1999 14:33:50 GMT

Netmeisters,

I have been using postgresql 6.4.2 (accessed via perl scripts and DBI)
to run my pathology lab for the past few months. Twice now, the system
has just "lost" a run of 10 - 20 records (pathology reports). Needless
to say, this ain't a good thing for a pathology lab, and, as far as I
can tell, it wasn't caused by my perl code. Questions are:

        1. Has anyone ever seen this before with postgresql?

and

        2. If I do need to switch to another database engine, are
there any that would be especially recommended for use under Linux?
I would like something that is reliable, easy to administer, and
equipped with a solid DBI interface. Free is not essential, and, since
the system will have at most 4 or 5 concurrent users, the engine
doesn't have to be the last word in database efficiency.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance,

Matthew Fleming
Matthew G. Fleming, MD                  phone : 414.456.4072
Associate Professor                     fax   : 414.456.6518
Department of Dermatology               s-mail: Dept. of Dermatology
Medical College of Wisconsin                    Medical College of Wisconsin
                                                MFRC Room 4061
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             Milwaukee, WI 53226-4810