From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Subject: Re: GCC Compiler - RH 6.0
Date: 21 Jun 1999 10:19:18 GMT

Jon Skeet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I am running RedHat 6.0. I am also trying to learn a bit about C
>> programming. When I try to compile - "gcc -g -ofilename filename.c", I
>> get the error messages as follows:-
>>
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> I don't recall having this trouble with RH 5.2
>
>I've seen problems with gcc recently too, on various systems. Using egcs
>to do the linking seemed to solve my problems though...

If you run gcc with the -v option it will tell you a great deal
about what it is doing.  For example, the command

   gcc -v -o foo foo.o

produces output like this (with line wraps indicated by a '\'
character added at the end),

  tanana:floyd /home/floyd/tst >gcc -v -g foo.o -o foo
  Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
  gcc version 2.7.2.3
   ld -m elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.1 -o foo \
       /usr/lib/crt1.o \
       /usr/lib/crti.o \
       /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/crtbegin.o \
       -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3 \
       -L/usr/i486-linux/lib \
       foo.o -lgcc -lc -lgcc \
       /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/crtend.o
       /usr/lib/crtn.o

That shows my gcc is finding crt1.o in the /usr/lib directory.
A quick look with ls -l shows it is owned by root and has
permissions for any user to read it.  So... su to root and
change that to allow only root to read it, and run the same gcc
command as above... and we get,

  tanana:floyd ~/tst >gcc -v -g foo.o -o foo
  Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/specs
  gcc version 2.7.2.3
   ld -m elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.1 -o foo \
      crt1.o \
      /usr/lib/crti.o \
      /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/crtbegin.o \
      -L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3 \
      -L/usr/i486-linux/lib foo.o \
      -lgcc -lc -lgcc \
      /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3/crtend.o \
      /usr/lib/crtn.o
  ld: cannot open crt1.o: No such file or directory

Hmmm...  if /usr/lib/crt1.o is not readable for the user
executing gcc, that is exactly the error message which appears.

One might expect to find that your /usr/lib/crt1.o file is
either missing or does not have the correct permissions.  If you
find that it is there, su to root and do

   chmod 644 /usr/lib/crt1.o

and all should be fine.  If it is not there at all you might use
find to see if it is somewhere else, as root do,

   find / -name crt1.o -print

One thing which is not clear from the above is that there are other
directories where it could be and ld will find it, for example it
could also be in directory /lib and all would be just as well.

Where ever you find it, move it to /usr/lib and do

  chmod 644 /usr/lib/crt1.o

to give it correct permission.

If you can't find it, download the distribution if necessary,
and reinstall it.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kevin Flanagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:21:10 GMT

------------------------------

From: hazy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux viruses
Date: 21 Jun 1999 21:29:14 +1000

jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> WME wrote:
>>
>> > How many times has this question got to be asked in a week?  I though we
>> > had already had the recomended daily allowance of "Linux Viri"
>> > questions.  Has this question made it to #1 in the FAQ yet?
>>
>> Sorry man i didn't now my question would upset u!!

> Its just that you could have looked up a few threads and find your
> answer...a efw more up and see it again...etc.  A simple archive search
> would tell you this question gets asked A LOT...noone seems to bother
> reading the posts to this newsgroup before the post questions.  I myself
> have answered this question more times then I care to count....it gets
> annoying after the first few hundred times.

Then don't answer after 100 times, easy...
--
            ***** hazy *****

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:31:55 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz) writes:

>> But the effect is that you turn focus away from the issues, and
>> towards the your manner of expression.

>> This is, I think, analogous to Goodwin's law.

> The only other option is propaganda techniques. Would you rather
> [have] those?

You consider demonization and name-calling the only non-propaganda
method of debate?

I'm not sure what you consider propaganda, but I suspect my answer
would be "yes".

-kzm

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter.vanHelden)
Date: 21 Jun 1999 11:32:17 GMT

r.tolga ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[snip]
: I suggest some of you to read some Linux Advocacy Howtos. This is a news
: group and sure some newbies or 'foreigners' send such messages.
: If you are not interested in the topic or the question just pass it to
: trash or whatsoever.  But do not reply to a message in such a manner.
: Remember that you were a "newbie" and maybe asked the same question to
: someone else in the past. Remember the person who answered you, and his
: manner.  And finally you are NOT the owner of the list or newsgroup.
[HTML snipped]

Being a newbie is little excuse for not adhering to the netiquette.

Would you please switch the HTML off, btw?

From: Sybren Stuvel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A problem with my soundcard.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:36:12 +0000

Since you're using kernel 2.0.36, which isn't PnP-aware, you have to use isapnp to
configure your soundcard. This has to be done before the sound-drivers are loaded.
In other words: re-compile your kernel, with the sounddrivers as modules. After
booting, use isapnp, and load the required modules with the right options. Just
have a look at the man-pages of isapnp.

Good luck,

Sybren Stuvel

------------------------------

From: Niels =?iso-8859-1?Q?Svennekj=E6r?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How can I controle 'core dump' locations ?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:42:02 +0200

Hi

How can I controle the path, to where a program drops the core ?
(ulimit is OK)

My problem is, that I have a system where one off our programs
keeps crashing (SIGSEGV), but it seems that is isn't makeing any
core-files. (or maby the core file is overwritten by another program
that crashes just after).

Therefor:

1) is is possible to give the corefile another name (core.MyProg)

2) What is the path to a cor, when:
   cwd is /tmp/, /home/myDir/bin/MyInitprogram spawns
   /home/myDir/bin/coreCrashingProgram (program dies after 6 - 30
  hours)

3) whar actually generates the core ? somthing in '_exit' ?

MvH. / Bedst regards

  Niels Svennekjær, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Worked as full time profesional with Linux since 1993
  Board member of KLID (Kommercielle Linux-interessenter I Danmark)
www.klid.dk
  Member of the worlds largest linux User Group: SSLUG (www.sslug.dk)
  And YES, I use Linux whereever/whenever possible

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: A Capitalists view of freedom
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:44:33 GMT

David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> the musket/rifle has been a great democratizer.

> Yes.  The Spanish and Portuguese used it to democratize a lot of

>> in the middle ages only a few rich folk could be knights (and wield
>> great military power).  the gun allowed anyone to own the most
>> effective military weapon.

> You are not mixing up periods, per chance?  The area of knighthood was
> ended by the longbow and the crossbow,

And the pike!

> as well as the Mongolians.

Not really.  The Mongols didn't really get further than destroying the
outskirts of Christianity.

> There were quite a few butcherings before the message was got across.

OTOH, knights tended to get killed by lack of organization and tactics
more than lacking weaponry or technology.

I suppose you could say that the fall of feudalism and new tactics
were a symbiotic change.  I wouldn't jump to any conclusions of
automatic democracy, though, even though normal citizens paid more
blood and taxes for the warfare.  The power just shifted from the
distributed model of the feudal lords, to centralized governments.

Interesting to note that the knightly forms of battle were often
devised to minimize losses, the introduction of recruited armies
eliminated this - much cheaper to get new guys to fire the gun, than
to protect soldiers.  Now, we seem to be back at the survivability
game, with e.g. Nato in Croatia, trying hard to avoid losses, both on
their own side, and on the enemy's (okay, arguably).

-kzm

From: Sybren Stuvel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with 3d Blaster Banshee
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:49:32 +0000

I'm using the Diamond Monster Fusion, same chipset your card. It works fine
in text-mode. For X, you'll need the special Banshee-server. Download &
install the following files, and everything should work out fine after some
setup.

XFree86_3DFX-XF86Setup-3.3.3-2
XFree86_3DFX-SVGA-3.3.3-2

Sybren Stuvel

<sent by mail as well>

------------------------------

From: JHB NIJHOF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux: now or never
Date: 21 Jun 1999 11:52:00 GMT

In uk.comp.os.linux jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Mr S A Penny wrote:
:>
:> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
:>
:> >I'm sure the majority of people in this newsgroup can install Linux over
:> >lunch break.  Clearing out the cruft is another matter (what the heck is
:> >a tamagotchi server anyway?).
:>
:> I'd love to know if you find out, I mean, it's obviously a central server
:> thing for tamagotchi clients, but as I've never come across a tamagotchi
:> client, it seems a little silly to have it installed as default (deb 2.0).
:> man -k tamagotchi returns nothing, I've not found a single word of
:> documentation on it and I consider it a very odd thing! \;/

: Its a root access Trojan.

: jk :P  I haven't ever even seen or heard of it.  Thats the nice thing
: about using a system that doesn't put in all that wierd useless crap.
: You guys should upgrade to slackware.

: Course...being as I don't know that it is a Trojan, I also don't know
: that it isn't.

I don't think it is, I don't think Debian includes Trojan Horses.
Or at least I hope not..

dpkg --print-avail tama =>

Section: games
Installed-Size: 57
Maintainer: Aaron Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.0-3
Depends: libc6
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/games/tama_1.0-3.deb
Size: 17696
MD5sum: 3b16e1c50a66f89ccb8589a1cc9a77b6
 Net Tamagotchi server - maintains multiple virtual pets
 on a Unix host to be accessed through telnet.

The Priority is optional, so I don't think it will be installed by default.

--
Jeroen Nijhof      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Accordion Links    http://www.AccordionLinks.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: Visual programming languages for Linux
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:37:13 GMT

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 05:06:40 GMT, Ananke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>Just wondering if anyone can suggest a good visual language for
>developing and using a database online on a Linux box.

See: <http://www.cs.orst.edu/~burnett/vpl.html>

It is not clear that there is *any* visual programming language that has
reached a high level of maturity; visual programming tools are actively
undergoing research.

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: David Damerell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 21 Jun 1999 13:43:26 +0100 (BST)

jik-  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mr S A Penny wrote:
>>I'd love to know if you find out, I mean, it's obviously a central server
>>thing for tamagotchi clients, but as I've never come across a tamagotchi
>>client, it seems a little silly to have it installed as default (deb 2.0).
>>man -k tamagotchi returns nothing, I've not found a single word of
>>documentation on it and I consider it a very odd thing! \;/
>jk :P  I haven't ever even seen or heard of it.  Thats the nice thing
>about using a system that doesn't put in all that wierd useless crap.
>You guys should upgrade to slackware.

If you install 'all the games packages', you get it. If you don't, you
don't. On Slackware, you don't have the choice. What exactly is so bad
about the Debian approach here?
--
David/Kirsty Damerell.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CUWoCS President.  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/   Hail Eris!

------------------------------

From: "Richard A. Kurnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Backup System
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:30:30 -0400

How does one determine the correct values for the size of the tape and the
block size within the dump command?  I have the backups going to tape with
the command line:

dump -fubds /dev/nst0 126 6100 400000 /

Now the tape manufacturer says the linear density is 61,000 and I'm using a
120M tape with a DAT2 drive.

Also, I'm having trouble appending multiple dumps to one tape.  It seems to
dump but the restore command will not read anything after the first dump.
It returns with the error: Is not a dump volume.  Or something like that.