Woody")

From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Samba: Popup-Message to USER (not to computer)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:53:02 +0000

Try LinPopUp.
http://www.littleigloo.org/
Works great for me.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

------------------------------

From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Virtual FTP directories
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:51:18 +0000

Okay, I just installed wu_ftpd on a Solaris 2.6 machine.  True it's
Solaris,
but I think the same philosphy applies to Linux.  Anyway, it runs great
and I am able to ftp into the machine no problem.  What I want to do now

is set up virtual ftp directories so that my virtual domains, i.e.
www.bintzsupply.com can do a ftp://ftp.bintzsupply.com/ and ftp stuff
right out of their directories.  I did the research and added the
following lines to my /etc/ftpaccess file and it appeared to work just
fine, but then no one else was able to ftp into that server.
    Here are the lines I added:

email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# a couple of test things...
# passwd-check  <none|trivial|rfc822>  [<enforce|warn>]
passwd-check    rfc822  warn

# path-filter...
path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

#
# This file is read by inetd when it invokes ftpd/wu-ftpd
#
#
# 06-Jan-97 amo Add the Virtual Domain definitions
#
#

==============
#
# NOTE: It seems that ftp.Virtual_Domain.com only works if it has a
Unique IP as
signed to it
#
# NOTE: the home directory is now  ~ftp/Domain_Name/pub  instead of
~ftp/pub
#
#

==============
#
# This is the RealMachine
#
#virtual 206.71.77.7 root       /export/home/ftp/
#virtual 206.71.77.7 banner     /export/home/ftp/       # welcome.msg
#virtual 206.71.77.7 logfile    /var/adm/xferlog
#
# Add bintzsupply.com
#
#virtual 209.186.76.10 root     /export/home/ftp/virtual/bintzsupply.com

#virtual 209.186.76.10 banner   /export/home/ftp/virtual/bintzsupply.com

# welcome.msg
#virtual 209.186.76.10 logfile  /var/adm/xferlog
#
# Add Virt_3.org
#
#virtual 198.147.196.zz root    /home/ftp/Virt_3.org
#virtual 198.147.196.zz banner  /home/ftp/Virt_3.org/welcome.Virt_3
# welcom
e.msg
#virtual 198.147.196.zz logfile /var/log/xferlog
#
# end of virtual FTP servers

If anyone has had any experience with this or could enlighten me as to
what I did wrong, I would be much appreciative.  Thanks.  Please also
send me the response via email as I get very busy sometimes and don't
have time to check the newsgroups.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: Secure network-backup via nfs?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 15:03:42 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:27:41 -0500,
 Bobby D. Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Frank Sweetser wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > > Also I would prefer to initiate the backup from the dat-machine. Would
> > > that be possible using something like:
> > >
> > > ssh remote-host tar /filesystem-name | dd bs=10240 of=/dev/st0
> >
> > yup.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) What is /dev/st0 ?  Is it a port back to the machine you issued the command
> from?
>
> 2) Suppose you want to use cron to do this every night.  Since cron presumably
> isn't privy to your ssh-agent login (if you happen to be logged in at all), how
> do you manage the passphrase in a cron job?

Easy: you give it a blank passphrase, and then set it so that key can
only do what you want on the remote system.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Jackson)
Crossposted-To: gnu.announce,alt.sources.d
Subject: userv (security boundary tool) 0.64.1 BETA released
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:23:19 +0100 (BST)

userv 0.64.1 BETA is now released as a GNU program.

userv (pronounced `you-serve') is, in the words of the specification,

      a Unix system facility to allow one program to invoke another
      when only limited trust exists between them.

It is a tool for system administrators, who often find themselves with
a program running as one user which needs to be able to do certain
things as another user. For example, the author's machine's news
system needs to scan its users' newsrcs to ensure that the right
newsgroups are fetched.  Before userv that part of the news system had
to run as root, and clumsily use `su'.

It is also a component for application authors.  For example, imagine
a version of `cron' which didn't need to run as root, so that a
security bug in cron would just mean that bad people could get cron
jobs to run at the wrong times, rather than everyone on the system
being able to break in completely.  Imagine being able to do
sophisticated mail filtering at delivery time without the mail
transfer or delivery agents needing to be root.

For more information, including details of the userv mailing lists,
full documentation on-line and the distribution files, visit
 http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/userv/
userv is also available via the GNU FTP site and its mirrors, listed
below.  0.64 BETA should soon be available at most mirrors.

If you have queries, please join the userv-discuss mailing list in
preference to mailing the author.  Thank you.

MD5 checksum:
dad7c6676065d72f659389f119c7deb3  userv-0.64.1.tar.gz

Changes since last version (0.62 BETA):

  * New "shutdown" builtin service for terminating uservd.
  * Spec. document shows subsections in TOC.

  * setenv emulation using putenv works properly (previously you would get
    wrong environment variable settings).  (Thanks to Ben Harris.)
  * Makefile bug fixed (tokens.h would sometimes not be rebuilt).

  * Regenerated formatted documentation (spec.ps, spec.html).

[ For information on how to order GNU software on CD-ROM and
  printed GNU manuals, see http://www.gnu.org/order/order.html
  or e-mail a request to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  By ordering your GNU software from the FSF, you help us continue to
  develop more free software.  Media revenues are our primary source of
  support.  Donations to FSF are deductible on US tax returns.

  Here are the mirrored ftp sites for the GNU Project, listed by country:
  A possibly more up-to-date list is at the URL
        http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html

  United States:

  California - labrea.stanford.edu/pub/gnu, gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/GNU
  Hawaii - ftp.hawaii.edu/mirrors/gnu
  Illinois - uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu/pub/gnu (Internet address 128.174.5.14)
  Kentucky -  ftp.ms.uky.edu/pub/gnu
  Maryland - ftp.digex.net/pub/gnu (Internet address 164.109.10.23)
  Michigan - gnu.egr.msu.edu/pub/gnu
  Missouri - wuarchive.wustl.edu/systems/gnu
  New Mexico - ftp.cs.unm.edu/pub/mirrors/gnu
  New York - ftp.cs.columbia.edu/archives/gnu/prep
  Ohio - ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu/mirror/gnu
  Tennessee - ftp.skyfire.net/pub/gnu
  Virginia - ftp.uu.net/archive/systems/gnu
  Washington - ftp.nodomainname.net/pub/mirrors/gnu

  Africa:

  South Africa - ftp.sun.ac.za/gnu

  The Americas:

  Brazil - ftp.unicamp.br/pub/gnu
  Canada - ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu
  Chile - ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/gnu (Internet address 146.83.198.3)
  Costa Rica - sunsite.ulatina.ac.cr/GNU
  Mexico - ftp.uaem.mx/pub/gnu

  Asia and Australia:

  Australia - archie.au/gnu (archie.oz or archie.oz.au for ACSnet)
  Australia - ftp.progsoc.uts.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Australia - mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/gnu
  Japan - tron.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pub/GNU/prep
  Japan - ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp/pub/gnu
  Korea - cair-archive.kaist.ac.kr/pub/gnu (Internet address 143.248.186.3)
  Saudi Arabia - ftp.isu.net.sa/pub/mirrors/prep.ai.mit.edu/
  Thailand - ftp.nectec.or.th/pub/mirrors/gnu (Internet address - 192.150.251.32)

  Europe:

  Austria - ftp.univie.ac.at/packages/gnu
  Austria - gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc
  Austria - http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/gnusrc/
  Czech Republic - ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/gnu/
  Denmark - ftp.denet.dk/mirror/ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu
  Denmark - ftp.dkuug.dk/pub/gnu/
  Finland - ftp.funet.fi/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.univ-lyon1.fr/pub/gnu
  France - ftp.irisa.fr/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pub/comp/os/unix/gnu/
  Germany - ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/gnu
  Germany - ftp.de.uu.net/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.forthnet.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.ntua.gr/pub/gnu
  Greece - ftp.aua.gr/pub/mirrors/GNU (Internet address 143.233.187.61)
  Hungary - ftp.kfki.hu/pub/gnu
  Ireland - ftp.ieunet.ie/pub/gnu (Internet address 192.111.39.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.eu.net/gnu (Internet address 192.16.202.1)
  Netherlands - ftp.nluug.nl/pub/gnu
  Netherlands - ftp.win.tue.nl/pub/gnu (Internet address 131.155.70.19)
  Norway - ftp.ntnu.no/pub/gnu (Internet address 129.241.11.142)
  Poland - ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/gnu
  Portugal - ftp.ci.uminho.pt/pub/mirrors/gnu
  Portugal - http://ciumix.ci.uminho.pt/mirrors/gnu/
  Russia - ftp.chg.ru/pub/gnu/
  Slovenia - ftp.arnes.si/pub/software/gnu
  Spain - ftp.etsimo.uniovi.es/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.isy.liu.se/pub/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.stacken.kth.se
  Sweden - ftp.luth.se/pub/unix/gnu
  Sweden - ftp.sunet.se/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.238.127.3)
           Also mirrors the Mailing List Archives.
  Switzerland - ftp.eunet.ch/mirrors4/gnu
  Switzerland - sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/gnu (Internet address 193.5.24.1)
  United Kingdom - ftp.mcc.ac.uk/pub/gnu (Internet address 130.88.203.12)
  United Kingdom - unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/gnu
  United Kingdom - ftp.warwick.ac.uk (Internet address 137.205.192.14)
  United Kingdom - SunSITE.doc.ic.ac.uk/gnu (Internet address 193.63.255.4)

]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Miner)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,linux.sources.kernel
Subject: Re: Kernel modules and varargs
Date: 21 Jun 1999 14:22:51 GMT

Thomas M. Galla ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello!

: Being not sure whether these are the right newsgroups to post this kind
: of question have my apologies first.

: However I'm having some kind of problem with using varargs within kernel
: module functions. The following code for example does not print anything
: (i.e., copy_to_user() does not work correctly):

There are a couple of places with varargs in the kernel.  I believe
I see the problem.  Try moving the 'va_list ap' to be the first declaration.
varargs are usually based on stack positions and local variable are on
the stack.  So, va_list expect to find the args X bytes away but you've
added Y bytes more between them.  :)

[ Check out linux/lib/vsprintf.c, function sprintf(...) .]

        Regards,
                Dan

: static int xuser_printf(char **user_buf, int len, const char *fmt)
: {
:       int ret;
:       char buf[MAXLEN*2];
:       va_list ap;
:       int buflen, copylen;

:       va_start(ap, fmt);
:       vsprintf(buf, fmt, ap);
:       va_end(ap);

:       buflen=strlen(buf);
:       copylen=(buflen<len) ? buflen : len;

:       printk("user_printf: buf=\"%s\"\n", buf);
:       printk("user_printf: buflen=%d, len=%d, copylen=%d\n",
:              buflen, len, copylen);
:       printk("user_printf: *user_buf=%p\n", *user_buf);

:       ret=copy_to_user(*user_buf, buf, copylen);
:       printk("copy_to_user returned: %d\n", ret);

:       return(copylen);
: }

: By the way, I'm using the following switches an arguments for gcc (version
: 2.7.2.3) and ld:

: gcc -O3 -Wall -DCONFIG_KERNELD -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX

: ld -s -r

: Does anybody know whether it's no permitted to use varargs within kernel
: modules? Do vararg functions modify the stack in a way that causes
: copy_to_user() to fail?

: Thanks for the help,

:       Tom.
: --
:  Thomas M. Galla                                     fax:+43 (1) 5869149
:  Real-Time Systems Group                        voice:+43 (1) 58801-8168
:  Vienna University of Technology           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
:  A-1040 Wien, Treitlstr. 3/3/182-1    http://www.vmars.tuwien.ac.at/~tom
: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
:  ... the fool escaped from paradise will look over his shoulder and cry
:  sit and chew on daffodils and struggle to answer "why?" ... [Marillion]

--
 Dan Miner    [EMAIL PROTECTED] |                                        | Doing
         Programmer/         |                                        | Linux

------------------------------

From: Rick Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Unlimited Kernel updates?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:38:54 -0400

Thanks guys for your help.  I'll get RH 6 for $60 from buy.com when I have the
money.  I did buy a Linux newbie book, and it came with Caldera OpenLinux
(1.3?), but the documentation is *horrible* so after finally hacking away to
get my X server up, it will still default to 320x200.  I can barely fit the
taskbar in my screen!  And the kernel is old.  I am hoping that RH will have
better documentation on how to set up for my Creative Labs Exxtreme video
card.  I'm sure it will.

Since I'll be upgrading, I won't bother this NG by posting my questions for
the version I have now!  It's actually good -- now I can hack away and
explore... if I destroy Linux, it's no big deal!

Rick
--
Chesapeake Sciences Corp.
1127B Benfield Blvd.

Tel: (410) 923-1300 x3430
Fax: (410) 923-2669

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 and Gnome:  Help to make it look less like windows!!!!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:33:35 -0500

GatonSon wrote:

> Dear Linux Community,
>
> I have Redhat 6.0 with the Gnome/KDE WM.  I'm kind of new to Linux so please be
> patient.  The problem is it all looks to much like windows!!  I want to learn
> how to use linux, not try and make linux like windows.  Using Gnome as a WM
> (being it's already installed), I want to clean up the desktop.  All I want on
> my screen is one terminal window (I'm beginning to learn to use Bash to run
> startup scripts for other desktop utilities at startup (xclock, emacs, etc).  I
> want to change the menus that appear when I click on the desktop with the left,
> middle, and right buttons.  Ideally, it would be great to get rid of the start
> menu on the bottom of the screen and be able to get at all my utilities (and
> maybe one submenu somewhere for gnome apps) through the menu on the mouse
> clicks instead of the start menu.
>
> Like I said, I'm more interested in learning Linux/UNIX than trying learn a
> window manager that is just trying to be windows.
>
> Oh yea.  Does anyone know how I can get rid of the Redhat graphic throughout
> the system (Like on the login screen, etc).  I've never been very commercial.
> I don't mind using Redhat, I just don't need graphic everywhere I turn.
>
> Thank you very much for  help you may have.  I heartly appreciate all your
> efforts.
>   Please email responses to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

As to your second question, you just have to arrange that you come up
in run level 3 rather than run level 5.   You do this by editing the file
/etc/inittab (as root) and changing the 3 in the line that controls the
run level from 3 to 5.  Then reboot.   You can do this from the initial
window prompt by choosing options.    After rebooting, you will get
a dumb terminal screen with a login prompt.   To get a window manager
use startx after logging in.

As to your first question, you may prefer the Afterstep Window
manager which is quite a bit simpler.   If you are still in run level 5,
you can choose to switch to this via the options menu at the prompt.
There is almost certainly a way to do this with startx or a related
command, but I am not sure what it is.   Note however that RH6.0
is really designed for gnome compliant window managers and it
probably works better if you use one.  I think you will probably
get used to the enlightenment (default) window manager if you
give it a chance.   But several people have suggested the window
maker is more stable and a bit easier to use.

Of course, you can do a lot of things with no window manager
at all, just using the dumb terminal interface.   You can switch to
one of six dumb terminals by using Alt Fn  where n is 1-6.
You can dop this even if you have a window manager running by
using Ctral-Alt-Fn.   To get back to the window manager you
then use Ctrl-Alt-F7.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "William Edward Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.programmer.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.unix.misc
Subject: Re: open systems?!? Re: Why does Apple not cooperate with Be?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:58:24 -0700

Lawrence DčOliveiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message...
> "William Edward Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >1) MultiFinder showed up in System 5, not System 6. System 6 is the
> >first version where Multidohicky (as we lovingly refered to it)
> >shows up integrated into the system, rather than as a separate
> >extension.
>
> I could never remember what "System 5" is supposed to refer to.
> MultiFinder 1.0 came (and worked) with System version 4.2, Finder version
> 6.0. I suppose that package could have been called "System Tools 5", or
> 5.something.

I still have the disks, amazingly enough. (Call me a pack rat.)
The disks were labeled "Macintosh System Disk 5.0", and contained
version 4.2 of the System and version 6.0 of the Finder. (It
wasn't until version 6.0 of the OS that we got a unified
version numbering scheme with the Macintosh and Finder disks.)

Further, with the aformentioned system, MultiFinder was shipped
on a separate floppy and installed separately. (With System 6,
MultiFinder was shipped on the same floppy as everything else.)

> >What is particularly galling to me is that Apple did have a
> >solution way back in '87, called A/UX. It would run on an
> >Mac II, and while it was a Unix environment, it did allow
> >multiple Macintosh applications to run in the Unix environment
> >using most of the existing Macintosh API. (Think Carbon, but
> >12 years ago.)
> >
> >But Apple, in it's infinite wisdom, never migrated the OS
> >towards A/UX. Why?
> >
> >I suspect it's because Apple's higher level management
> >did *not* know that preemptive multitasking was the
> >way to go.
>
> I don't think you can blame Apple's management for this--blame the market
> instead. The product was out there, it seemed to be promoted vigorously
> (certainly we at the University kept being told all about it), and they
> kept updating it to track new MacOS versions and encouraging developers to
> support it. But I never saw the point of mixing MacOS and UNIX on one box,
> and I still don't see the point today. ...

At the time I was working for VII (later VIDI, now defunct).
And while Apple would constantly remind us in the promotional
materials about making sure we support A/UX, getting a copy
for testing purposes was like pulling teeth. The problem was
that outside of the university channel A/UX was almost
unknown and damned hard to get ahold of.

As to the point...

Well, that's the $64K question, isn't it?

See, the point is not to have Unix on the Macintosh--after
all, if you are going to use Unix, you may as well use Unix.

But the one part of A/UX which was interesting was it's
ability to run Macintosh applications in a memory-protected
multi-tasking environment. In theory, Apple could have
shipped what we now call Carbon way back in 1987 by
simply stripping out the Unix utilities from the A/UX
environment!

What's important is not Unix. What's important is the
ability to have some of the elements of the Unix OS
(including preemptive multitasking and protected memory)
underlying the Macintosh OS. The ability to execute a
"CLI"-style process (such as 'grep') would also be nice,
as it allows a developer to factor out computational
portions of his/her code into separate, testable modules.
But that's just a bonus.

> >What was interesting about the Thread Manager was not that it
> >provided multithreading services: nearly anyone can do that
> >through the creative use of setjmp/longjmp. What made the
> >Thread Manager interesting was that it's developer figured
> >out how to disable the Macintosh's stack sniffer.
>
> Nothing magical about this. There was a technote or something I read years
> ago that told you how to do this: just set the StkLowPt low-memory global
> to zero. That's all it took.

I didn't know that. Never came across that tech note, and
I remember pondering at the time how they did it.

- Bill Woody
  The PandaWave