From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Does Linux have IRQ's
Date: 22 Jun 1999 15:24:07 GMT

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:50:17 GMT,
Lucius Chiaraviglio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>       Not only that, but one can (apparently -- it seemed to work
>for us) put another device on the IRQ that would have been used by
>the printer port without messing anything up.  Would this also work
>under Linux if one told it not to use the parallel port (or whatever)
>IRQ?  This could help free up some IRQ's on some machines --
>especially necessary these days since some machines come out of the
>box with no IRQ's left over.

Correct.  I use this every day as my sound card is on IRQ 7 and my
printer is serviced by polling.  Just specify irq=none when loading the
parport_pc module.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Insmod 95+% CPU usage
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:14:56 GMT

I'm running a modified version of redhat 5.1 with kernel 2.2.8, and I
just noticed that insmod is routinely taking up 95+% of the cpu.  I'm
using modutils-2-1.121-0.  Here is the output of lsmod

Module                  Size  Used b
lp                      4960   0  (unused)
parport_pc              5484   1
parport                 6548   1  [lp parport_pc]
pnp                    45284   1
uart401                 6740   1
opl3                   13228   1
ad1848                 49072   1
midi                   27528   1  [pnp uart401 opl3 ad1848]
soundbase             481092   1  [pnp uart401 opl3 ad1848 midi]
sndshield               4736   0  [pnp uart401 opl3 ad1848 midi
soundbase]
nls_iso8859-1           2024   2  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3548   2  (autoclean)
vfat                   11100   2  (autoclean)
fat                    23912   2  (autoclean) [vfat]

I haven't gotten any errors, although I've had problems printing ever
since I moved from 2.0.36 to 2.2.8.  I get an error indicating that lpr
couldn't connect or something like that.

What I normally do is then unload lp, pc_parport, and parport, because
I'm not using them.  However, insmod is still hovering around 95% cpu
usage.  So then I tried loading the modules. which I did manually and
got no errors.

inmsod parport
insmod parport_pc
insmod lp

Here's the output of my message log from when I put the modules back in

Jun 22 12:58:22 marquette kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378
[SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
Jun 22 12:58:22 marquette kernel: parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs
to enable interrupt-driven operation
Jun 22 12:58:33 marquette kernel: lp0: using parport0 (polling).
Jun 22 12:58:49 marquette kernel: kmod: waitpid(17459,NULL,0) failed,
returning -512

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
Brian Seppanen

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Mounting a Mac-formatted floppy?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:19:06 GMT

        Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Note:  there is no way anything but a real live Mac can read 800K
> floppies.  These floppies are not recorded in anything like the normal
> way non-Macs format or write floppies.

Largely, but not completely, true.  At one time there were add-on boards
for PCs that let PCs read and write Mac (and Apple II) floppies.  I don't
recall any names, I don't know if they're still available, and I doubt if
there are Linux drivers for these.  I've also used a Mac emulator for an
Atari ST (8MHz 68000 CPU from a decade ago) that came with a widget that
let the ST floppy (a standard 720kB 3.5" floppy, the same as went into
PCs of that era) read and write Mac 800kB floppies.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: editorial: Stupid Linux Tricks
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:23:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "J.R. Chaffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wonder if Gabriel is now guilty of a "hate crime" - inviting
> violence to someone with whom he disagrees.
>
> As far as slapping heads around, I doubt if many linuxites
> could slap around anything tougher than a pillow, at least
> the ones I have met.
>
> Here is my comment for those who honestly believe that
> Microsoft has anything to fear from the "free (taxpayer
> supported) software" movement:
>
>  hahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha
>
> x100 lines.
>
> gippy

Gippy,
It sounds like you need to get off daddy's computer and go back to
playing your Ninbimbo video games. These discussions are better left for
adults who know a little about what their talking about, not some 10
year old wannabe geek who thinks that Bill gate's OS's are the best
thing since sliced bread. Vome back when you really know what your
talking about and can say more than just "Oh yeah! my daddy can beat up
your daddy!"

I'm now laughing at what a childish fool you are:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

bye bye baby!

Regards,
gabriel/TSS!

From: bruce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbie: Compiling kernel for different machines
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:56:51 -0400

RH6.0

I'm looking at Linux+Samba to augment our NT/Netware environment. I've
messed around compiling the kernel to get RAID working & leave out some
extraneous stuff. This is all on my workstation. I wouldn't want to
install gcc or any of the development libs on a server. What, if any,
other files need to be copied along with the kernel & System.map <aside>
what is the purpose of System.map?</aside> from my workstation to a
server? I would think this is fairly common procedure, is there a How-to
on this? TIA.

------------------------------

From: srishti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with an unattached inode
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:56:10 +0530

Hi,

In Linux (any other UNIX as well) all the files are identified by a
unique number called Inode. A directory (again another file) contains
lists of names (file names) and their inode numbers.

Now to your case: what has happened that a physical file is present on
your hard-disk but the directory entry has got deleted. So open that
file and see if it was one of the files that you created, if yes move
and to your area. Else ignore it, delete it if your system works fine
for few days.

If further doubts write back,
Deepak.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Sweeney)
Subject: Pop server/password problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 17:40:23 GMT

I have a Redhat 6.0 system (actually Sparc Linux on a Sun Ultra
Enterprise 1 server) using a password shadow file. I'm trying to get
qpopper running and all I get is an invalid password message when I
try to access the POP account. This may be a pam configuration issue,
or it may be an inability of the pop server to use the shadow file. I
have been looking everywhere I can think of for clues with no luck. If
anyone can provide me with a pointer, answer of other clue, I would be
most appreciative.

Michael

From: Tarkaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Little help, please?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:46:33 -0400

Pat Heuvel wrote:

> Have you checked fdisk, and ensured that your boot partition is, in
> fact, marked as bootable?

I would say "duh!  what am I, oopidstay?" but I honestly haven't
checked that..  Thanks for the tip. :)

-- Jack Tarkaan                                      Kalamazoo, Michigan
-- http://www.bigfoot.com/~tarkaan            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- NO UNSOLICITED E-MAIL AT THIS ADDRESS - Respect privacy - NO SPAM!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric)
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic  ???  what went wrong??
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:17:01 GMT

On 10 Jun 99 12:25:47 GMT, Jayasuthan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: I just recompile a new kernel and I have this error message:
>
>: Kernel panic : VFS: Unable to mount fs on 03:01.
>
>: what I did wrong and what I should do?
>
>You should have not enable ext2 filesystem support during kernel config.
>always have second load kernel in /etc/lilo.conf to play safe... or
>mounting root at wrong disk.

Actualy I did include the ext2 fs!  So What is going wrong!

------------------------------

From: "Dan Reaka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dynamically switching Ip address with a Linux Firewall
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:34:38 -0500

I have Linux set up as a filtering firewall. I am using kernel 2.0.34 with
ipportfw and ipfwadm. The machine has 2 network cards on it one on public
ip, and the other on a private ip. Our webserver is sitting behind the
firewall on a private ip. I would like to set up a second webserver as a
backup machine in the event that our primary webserver goes down. The second
webserver would be on a different private ip. I would lik the firewall to
monitor the primary webserver (ping it at some set increment) and in the
event that the primary is unreachabe I would like to have the firewall rules
change to redirect port 80 to the backup server. Is there someone who has
done this or a feature built into the kernel that allows this functionality.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Kulisz)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: first/second/third world
Date: 22 Jun 1999 18:36:02 GMT

In article <7kodqc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John S. Dyson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ask yourself as to the imperialism of the other powers in the

Irrelevant. "There are other evils" doesn't excuse an evil. Shit,
even "there are *greater* evils" doesn't excuse an evil, but here
you're trying to excuse the most evil imperial power on the basis
of there being lesser, and less evil, imperial powers.

>world, and try to explain why the imperialism of the so-called
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^
>communist state is kinder than our own?  Imperialism has little

*so-called* is the operative word, bozo.

>to do with a theoretical political philosophy, but has everything
>to do with a PRACTICAL political and economic policy.  No one
>is innocent here.

So it was "practical" to escalate the genocide in the former Yugoslavia?
Time and again, escalation of atrocities has been the USA's foreign policy.
The only nation in recent history to have tried to mitigate atrocities
committed by a foreign state is when Vietnam invaded Cambodia to get rid
of Pol Pot. The USA's response? Official support for the Khmer Rouge.

"Practical" is just a euphemism for "we do whatever the fuck we want".

>> You know, I just don't give a damn about "freedom". I care about
>> Human Rights. What a radical idea!
>>
>How can you care about human rights, when you don't even care about
>your own human rights, or the human rights of your own family?  Please

Because, bozo, the only way to guarantee my own human rights is to
guarantee those of all humanity. You'd rather go the selfish route
and step over the broken bodies of others, but I won't.

>Bzzt, running doesn't work for most of us.  Running isn't a
>practical solution -- please describe a practical situation.
>You keep espousing theory, with little basis in practical
>matters.

Ahhh, and murdering the robber is a "practical" solution, is it?
Again your emphasis on doing whatever the fuck you want.

>> A solid 70% of your article was empty tripe. Can you make 80?
>>
>Absolutely nothing that you seem to talk about is rooted in

You must've averaged 75% in the last couple of articles. Come on,
just tell yourself "I can do it, I can do it".

>reality.  You would be much happier reading star-trek novels,
>because that world is much nicer than the world that people
>have brainwashed you into.  If you want reality, then you
>have to choose to join it.

Problem is, I don't give a damn about being happy and I'm pretty sure
I have a Red gene, right alongside those for empathy and morality.

Instead of trying to better society, you'd rather steal (otherwise
known as "becoming rich") and murder for fun and profit. What next?
Are you going to advocate the happiness cocaine can bring?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:51:47 -0700
From: Pete Riley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /var/spool/mail permissions

Hi,

Could anyone tell me why I can't delete or move my
own mail folder in /var/spool/mail even though I
have write permission to that file? I know I used
to be able to do this with sunOS and Solaris. Is
it because of the ownership of /var/spool/mail, in
which case, what's the best way to modify this to
allow me to mv/rm?

Thanks in advance, Pete
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

------------------------------

From: Tarkaan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EZ Drive and LILO?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:45:38 -0400

Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

> I don't know why anyone would ever need to do it though.  Linux doesn't
> need EZdrive.  Just make the first partition stop before the 1024th
> cylinder, and put the kernel and map in there.  EZ-drive just makes things
> more complicated than they have to be.

That's what I was afraid of.  Maybe I just need to suck it up,
repartition, reformat, and reinstall.. :(

From: Ian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Debian advocates
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:45:59 +0100

Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> Those of you who are interested in a useful product that has actually
> been tested by a cadre of testers are encouraged go to the download
> section (http://www.stardivision.com/office/so5linux_body.html) to get
> StarOffice 5.1 as soon as possible.  Up to now the following languages
> are available: dutch, english, french, german, italian, spanish,
> others are to follow soon.
> (in order to minimize downloading costs you should use an ftp client
> with the 'resume' option and get the 70 MB tarball in little slices
> whenever you are online anyways)

I would _love_ to, but . . .

I cannot get past the registration screen.  I enter all the required
fields, then get dumped back to the registration screen.  I have enabled
cookies.

Debian, Netscape 4.6, glibc2.1

I notice one of the fields is labelled "Customer number" - does this
mean I have to dowload from elsewhere _first_ and then enter my number
into the registration screen?  If so, where do I download from - the web
pages don't seem to say anything about this, though :(

Any help appreciated,

Ian Smith

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: COL225: LILO says: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (1137 > 1023)
Date: 22 Jun 1999 20:32:38 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Cameron L. Spitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <37747c46.14271800@wingate>, Chris Raper wrote:
>>BTW, what does System.map do?
>
>/sbin/lilo creates a file containing a list of disk blocks where the
>bootimages can be found.
>Some Linux distributions call this file System.map.
>It's a stupid name.  They should call it lilo-dsk.map or something.
>The Lilo documentation (see http://judi.greens.org/lilo and click on
>"well documented") just calls it "the map file."

Not on any system I've seen.  The map file you refer to is the file
file /boot/map and the name of the file is defined by this parameter
in /etc/lilo.conf

map=/boot/map

The file System.map is just a nm listing of the kernel before in is
packed into the vmlinuz format.  It is used by the ps and a few other
commands to translate some kernel addresses to symbols or vice versa.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Subject: Re: Visual programming languages for Linux
Date: 22 Jun 1999 16:39:41 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ananke) writes:

>On 21 Jun 1999 10:18:54 -0500, Bob Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<stuff snipped>

>I was hoping for something like Visual C or Delphi

Look into xwpe (from your CD or sunsite) and perhaps a GUI designer
(the later might cost money). Assuming you are not married to C then
the TclPro stuff (tcl/tk+commercial goodies) might be your
solution (like VC++ and Delphi this only works for one programming
languange).

IMHO the VC++ environment sucks. Integrating tools that M$ should
have provided but did not (yacc, lex, gperf, a decent version of make,
etc) is undocumented to impossible. emacs beats the text editor to a
fine pulp---being used to the power of emacs I find it exremely
irritating. As for the project stuff give me gmake every time, it just
so much more powerful and *easier to use*.

I personally prefer emacs with font-lock-mode turned on and a convient
key to invokes the compile command by a *vast* margin. (nmake seems to
lack pattern rules so using it plain is painful---my solution is to
use gmake instead). Emacs' VC support is also vasty superior IMHO.

(Unfortunately M$ windows does not feature geometry managers like
{Less,Mo}tif, Xaw, tcl/tk, etc provide. Anyone using explicit placement with
these tools avialable deserves to lose).
--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is