([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Vincent DECOUX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: USB port supported in LINUX ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:35:20 +0200

Hi,

I've got a Dell PC with several devices and I'd like to upgrade to
Linux.
The problem is I'm using USB devices (an ISDN modem, and a sound card).
Are they supported in Linux ?

Thanks for any help

Vincent Decoux

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: linx vs hurd
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:44:34 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:08:42 GMT, wiliam choehen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>On 9 Jul 1999 04:09:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore) wrote:
>>Although it will be addressing important concerns for this Internet
>>(like quality of service and IPv6 compatibility), nothing planned has a
>>thing to do with whether a microkernel is better than a monolithic
>>kernel.  (Especially since loadable modules blur away some of the
>>advantages of microkernels.)

>but dont a new os make it more <<intresteing>> too put in new kind of
>aplicaions ?
>just like linux have network opertuntys and that linux are made
>special too fit 486 hardware as windowes insnt'?

There's nothing about a microkernel that forcibly makes it easier to
implement any of the new kinds of applications that you have referred
to thus far.

It is preferable to implement such applications in a way that makes them
portable to as many OSes as possible, which dictates *not* producing
them in such a way as to mandate the new OS.

--
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

------------------------------

From: "V. Dello Iacovo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.os.magic-cap,comp.os.minix,comp.os.misc,comp.os.msdos,comp.os.msdos.4dos,comp.os.msdos.app
Subject: HELP ME
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:16:04 +0200

Hi people of the web,
I am a post card collector, and I would be very happy to receive a postcard
of your country.
I hope in the generosity of the net people .
Thanks in advance to all.
Please send to :

VINCENZO  DELLO IACOVO
VIA VITRUVIO 60
04023  FORMIA LT
ITALY

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason O'Rourke)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark?
Date: 8 Jul 1999 18:06:01 -0700

Darren Winsper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> That has far more to do with the fact that Baseball was invented in the
>> USA than any sort of national egotism.
>
>You have a funny definition of invented.  It looks more like a
>derivative of rounders to me.

that's a reach.  It's no different than saying the Brits invented American
football because it is based on something like rugby and football (what
was the sequence: football -> rubgy -> american football?).

And yes, baseball is quite popular south of the border.  It still seems to
be a sport of the Americas though.

--
Jason O'Rourke  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.jor.com
'96 BMW r850R

------------------------------

From: Tom Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pronouncing "Linux" - dirty Yank cant pronounce
Date: 10 Jul 1999 11:33:21 -0700

In comp.os.linux.misc, Duane Hellums <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:  I didn't know Jesus was American or British (or any other nationality
:that speaks English).

How does it feel to be so thoroughly (albeit doubtless inadvertently)
trolled?  It's like shooting fish in a barrel around here -- with a
howitzer.  I know, I know: there's no reason to shoot fish in a barrel
when shooting them in a catapult would get so much better range.

--tom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Saunders)
Subject: Kernel Error
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:38:45 GMT

I was hoping someone that new a little more about linux than I could
read this kernel error.. I get this in the messages log right before
it crashes..

Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Oops: 0000
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: CPU:    0
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: EIP:    0010:[free_inodes+38/124]
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: EFLAGS: 00010203
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: eax: 00001000   ebx: 000001f4   ecx:
c01f931c   edx: 00001006
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: esi: c0c91eac   edi: 000001f4   ebp:
00000000   esp: c0c91ea4
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Process httpd (pid: 5827, process nr:
67, stackpage=c0c91000)
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Stack: 00000002 bffffb80 c0c91eac
c0c91eac c012dcee 00000004 c012dd3e 00001006
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel:        00000004 c8b55d4c 00000002
bffffb80 c907d600 c9417440 c1faa000 c012dfc1
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel:        00000004 c8b55d4c c0157923
00000004 c8b55d4c c015821d 00000004 bffffd34
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Call Trace: [try_to_free_inodes+10/52]
[grow_inodes+30/372] [get_empty_inode+141
/152] [sock_alloc+7/140] [sys_accept+61/312] [free_wait+99/108]
[do_select+509/532]
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel:        [sys_select+1358/1372]
[sys_socketcall+176/480] [system_call+52/56]
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Code: 8b 3f 8b 43 14 0b 43 7c 75 ec 8b
03 8b 53 04 89 50 04 89 02
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address 000001f4
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 00f1e000, %cr3 =
00f1e000
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: *pde = 00000000
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: Oops: 0000
Jul 10 05:24:37 tigger kernel: 000000   esp: c0927ea4

Any help or solutions would help greatly

Robert Saunders

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: Re: installation problem red hat 6
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:27:40 -0500

todas wrote:

> i had red hat 5.2 working fine, then i upraded to 6.0 now during the
> installation i get this message when configring my mouse, timezone etc...
> "error loading shared libraries libc.so.6, execution of script failed"
>
> and when i check the install.log
>
> "unpacking of archive failed: cpio. bad
> magic"  (installing glibc)
>
> are they related ?
>
> any workarounds, suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks...Salamat.

>                  http://www.searchlinux.com

If you were upgrading rather than installing, you should not have been
queried about your time zone, your mouse, etc.   If you chose install
rather than upgrade, you have probably wiped out what you had before.
However, if you user files were in a separate partition (/home), then
they should still be there if you now install from scratch.   Just
make sure you don't choose some default installation like
`workstation'.

I don't see offhand why you should have got those error messages
while installing.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk troubles
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:17:30 +0100

On 10 Jul 1999, Matthew W. Roberts wrote:

> Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that now when I first start the
> system I get the following error:
>
> Warning... fsck.ext2 for device /dev/hda1 exited with signal 11
>
> fsck failed.  Please repair manually and reboot.  Please note
> that the file system is currently mounted read-only.  ...
>
> Give root password for maintenance. ...

Personally... I would suspect bad RAM. Does this happen every single time?

Try getting a hold of memtest-86... seems to do a good job.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                       [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.amush.cx/linux/   Fax: +44-8701-600807

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Help on boot disk
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:17:54 -0500

Patrick Smith wrote:

  I have created a boot disk using the "makebootdisk --device /dev/fd0
  2.2.5-15"
  I am using RH6.0
  I need to get some help on configuring LILO to point to /dev/hda5
This is
  where I run into problems.  Basically I can't get it to work...  Once
I can
  get this to successfully boot, then I can use the ntloader to dual
boot the
  system, but for now I can't even get to the linux partition... thanks
in
  advance

  Patrick Smith
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You don't have to specify the device.  It is /dev/fd0 by default.

mkbootdisk is supposed to look in your /etc/fstab to find the /
filesystem.
It then creates a lilo boot loader on the floppy with root=<what it
found>.
This has always worked flawlessly for me.   You don't need to run lilo
to make a boot disk with mkbootdisk.

If you are running lilo to set up booting from your hard disk,  and you
want a dual boot system with NT, I suggest the following.   Your
lilo.conf
file should start with
boot=<your linux root or boot partition, but see below>
not
boot=/dev/hda
This puts the lilo boot loader in the root partition (but see below)
rather than in the master boot record.  Putting it in the master boot
record
often gives NT indigestion.   Then you should also use fdisk to change
the
active partition to that root partition.

But there is one other complication, I believe.
/dev/hda5 would be the first logical partition in an
extended partition, let's say the extended partition is /dev/hda2.
Then I believe you have to use the extended partition rather than
the logical partition.  (Perhaps someone will correct me on this.)
So  the first line of lilo.conf should read
boot=/dev/hda2
and you should toggle the active partition to /dev/hda2.
In any case, the line setting the root partition (which I assume
is /dev/hda5) should be set that way.    Here is a complete
lilo.conf file which should work

boot=/dev/hda2
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz*****
 label=linux
 root=/dev/hda5
 read-only
other=/dev/hda1
 label=nt
 table=/dev/hda

(Fill in the ***** appropriately for your kernel.)

If you want NT to boot first, put the group beginning `other'
before the group beginning `image'.

It is also possible to arrange for the NT boot loader to boot
both OSs, but it is much more cumbersome.  You have
to run lilo, copy the lilo boot loader to the NT partition,
and then edit boot.ini in the NT partition.   You also
have to repeat all these steps when you upgrade your
linux partiton.   However, with the method I suggested,
linux also won't boot from the hard disk after an upgrade
because of the limited choices they give you for lilo.
You can probably arrange to run lilo with your preferred
lilo.conf file by using expert mode or using one of the
function key terminals at the exact proper point.  But
it is just as easy to use the boot disk made in the upgrade
process to boot and then run lilo again with your preferred
lilo.conf file.   During the upgrade or install, don't put
lilo in the master boot record if you want NT to be happy.

With newer BIOSs, the boot disk made by mkbootdisk takes
forever to load---so you think it has hung.    You can probably
make a faster less flexible boot faster disk by going to /boot and doing

dd if=<your kernel name> of=/dev/fd0
Then run
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/hda5
assuming that /dev/hda5 is your root partition.   You still need
the one created by mkbootdisk to be able to use rescue mode.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:09:12 -0500

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: My Linux box was hacked!
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:31:58 -0500

Chris Long wrote:

> I was apparently (successfully) attacked by a hacker, who created accounts
> (dave and ddave) on my Linux box with root access, and then modified my
> files (don't know how or why).  What flaws in the version of Redhat Linux
> that I was using were exploited (I use 5.1), and are they known?  Can I fix
> the damage that was done easily?  I removed telnet and ftp from inetd.conf
> to completely disallow telnet and ftp access as a result of this attack;
> is this adequate?

You should certainly reinstall the OS from scratch rather than attempting
to repair the system.  You can't be sure which trojan horses the hacker has
placed there.

The first line of defense are your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
files.  The latter should have the entry
ALL:  ALL
after all the comments.   Then you should make sure you understand how
to set up the hosts.allow file.  For most individual systems, there is no
need to allow anyone to login over the network.s

As others have suggested, you may also want to disable various services
including telnet and ftp.   But in principle with hosts.deny and hosts.allow
set up properly these should be unavailable from the network.    If you
do want to have people login over the network,  I strongly suggest using
the secure shell  (ssh, scp, etc.)   I don't have a source for that handy
but you can probably find it with some searching.

We had a breakin on one of our machines and we discovered it was because
we had neglected to set our hosts.deny file.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Petros Maniatis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.windows.x.kde,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: kppp and Netscape (Can't connect)
Date: 10 Jul 1999 18:01:49 GMT

Spotillius Maximus aka \"Spot\ (*****@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I'm able to dial out and connect to my ISP with kppp, but, when I start
: Netscape, or any other program that uses the internet, I get a can't connect
: error message.  It seems that I may not have a permission or path set
: properly.  I have read books and Howto's and still can't resolve this.  I'm
: sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking.  Thanks.

Hi Ed,

Actually, I just spent 4 hours on this myself last night. It seems that
Van Jacobson compression has some issues in the latest pppd. Disable it,
and TCP should work better. Just add -vj into your pppd arguments, either
through linuxconf or through kppp.

Petros

------------------------------

From: Al <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Defaukt WM on RH 6.0
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 14:19:48 -0400

I have 384 M in my P2 266 and gnome is slow comapared to KDE.

Also some java apps will run in KDE but not in Gnome.

Al

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cameron L. Spitzer)
Subject: Re: WIN9X vs WINNT vs Linux
Date: 10 Jul 1999 17:55:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, ed ngai wrote:
>Kayla Kittleson wrote:
>> I work at a university and are regularly upgrading PC's
>> in the departments I support.  The offices we support the
>> PC's are used by staff and are not student labs.
>> Since we use PeopleSoft some of our users need Excel.

I work in an office where the Human Resources department
issues forms (vacation request, phone list, etc) as Excell
spreadsheets.  It's the only way they know to make a table.

My desktop is SuSE 6.0 for a variety of reasons.  It came with
a "personal" Applixware.  I use Applix Spreadsheet to do my
vacation form.  Try it; see if it works with PeopleSoft.
They're the only top-ten (in revenue) software manufacturer that doesn't
support Linux in some way.  They'll get a clue eventually.

Unfortunately, SuSE 6.1 came with the gawd-awful Star Office
instead.

>> If we decide on 2000 should be ordering NT now to make
>> the upgrade easier or is 98 better?
>
>Well if you bouhgt NT 4 and upgrade to NT 5, I think you know
>about the problems you'll have.

Leave yourself a way out in case Microsoft collapses 1Jan2000.

>Linux is an operating system for programmers, engineering.

Linux is for anybody who doesn't need to be able to launch every
Microsoft app available.  You don't need Microsoft for basic
office work.  If you come up with a standard campus installation
you'll save a lot of money.  The office suites are cheaper and
the system is immune to viruses.

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Michael McConnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems mounting a zip disk
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:27:23 +0100

On 9 Jul 1999, root wrote:

> I've formerly been able to mount a zip disk using the following command:
>
> mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/zip
             ^^^^

> I just purchased a new 3-pack of Zip disks that say "Formatted for IBM
> compatables," I assume that this means that they have a FAT16 file system.
>
> At any rate, when I try to mount them I see the following:
>
> [root@localhost /root]# mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/zip
>  hdc: hdc4
        ^^^^

Try: mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/zip

From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Default permissions/ownership
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 18:20:48 GMT

I don't know exactly how to do what you want (I'm a newbie myself),
but I always welcome a challenge.

Here's what I'm thinking.  The files /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny are part of the authentication mechanism.  Running
'man hosts.allow' gives you the man page for that access mechanism.
The first part reads:

"This  manual  page  describes a simple access control language that
is based on client host  name/address,  user name),  and  server
(process name, host name/address) patterns."

Note "language."

One of the features of this mechanism is that it will allow you to run
a script when authetication passes or fails.

So, you can attach the chroot command to the authentication line in
/etc/hosts.allow.  The man pages have examples.

The only issues with this that I can think of are related to the user
logging in as anonymous.  I don't know which chroot is performed
first: the FTP daemon chroot or the access mechanism's chroot.  I
don't think FTP runs a chroot command for native system users, so you
should be OK there.  But what happens when anonymous logs in?  Also,
since anonymous won't have a home directory, what happens?  I guess
you can turn off anonymous logins...

Anyway, this should give you at least a starting point.  I'd be
interested in finding out from you where this led you.

--
Principle of Minimum Access: "That which is not explicitly permitted
is denied."

And now we return to our regularly scheduled, uncommonly entertaining
thread...

David Fouts wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>After reading your post I thought you might be able to answer a
question
>for me, I want to lock folks in their login directory so they can
copy
>etc. from that directory only.. I thought I could use chroot but I
have
>been unable to figure out exactly how to use it to "jail" them into
the
>directory... I have downloaded proFTP which says it has a built in
>directive but I really don't need the rest of the stuff and it's a
large
>offering.... any ideas, I believe that my Redhat came with wu-ftp and
I've
>found no docs that talk about the chroot being used in that way... of
>course it does it automatically for anonymous users but that's it.
>
>Thanks ..sorry to get off course of your message but it sounds like
it
>also may be useful info.
>
>-Dave-
>
>YouDontKnowWho wrote:
>
>> I don't know exactly what the setup you want is, but here is mine
and
>> it sounds like what you want:
>>
>> 1.  Anonymous users can upload to /home/ftp/incoming, but not
download
>> from it.
>>
>> 2.  Anonymous users can download from /home/ftp/pub, but not upload
>> it.
>>
>> 3.  Via FTP, native users (people with accounts on the system)
cannot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Amiga announces Linux kernel is new Amiga kernal - Opinions?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 17:49:19 GMT

On 10 Jul 1999 14:09:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow) wrote:

>No, its both now.  Too bad for QNX, couldn've been their 15 minutes of
>glory.
>

>--
>William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
>Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\
>                                                ~  ()>()

Originally QNX was the choice, but with all the momentum that linux has and
after speaking with Sony, Corel, Linus Torvalds and many others,  Amiga decided
to use the Linux kernal.  QNX must have been angry at being left in the lurch
and posted what seems to have been pre-emptive mis-information forcing Amiga to
reveal their choice of Linux earlier than they wanted.  QNX appears to want to
continue their work and are looking for support from those who are not happy
with the Linux decision.

I doubt they will make inroads with their OS on the new Amiga, but it would be
nice to see what they could offer as (yet) another alternative OS for Intel
hardware.

for more info check these out:

http://www.amiga.com/diary/executive/linux-e.html
and