Linux-Misc Digest #270, Volume #21                Tue, 3 Aug 99 06:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Warning! The eclipse approaches...                              {5.6b}
(Airbrush4u)
  Re: vmlinux vs vmlinuz (ashanti2)
  Re: Where to get SuperFormat? (Terry Porter)
  linux and win98 mails ("KiloMan")
  Re: Am I damaging my Monitor !! (John Morrison)
  Re: bash question: changing path within script? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Just a suggestion... (Jeff Goodman)
  Re: Good IRC client for Linux? (Terry Porter)
  Re: Newbie in Houston (Tyler Wells)
  Catching the password with PAM (Yitshak Merin)
  Re: CIA assassinations (Michael Powe)
  Re: tar question (prudence)
  a really hard "hardware" problem (Helmut Artmeier)
  VideoCDs under Linux (Vidar Madsen)
  Re: spin down HDD (Simon Hosie)
  Re: a (GUI) spreadsheet with Perl API ? (Ondrej Lhotak)
  Re: rp'ms needed for apache? (Tyler Wells)
  Re: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS? (Johnny Johanson)
  Re: AWE64 and 2.2.5? (Philipp Maier)
  Re: Java makes Netscape crash ("s.c.park")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Airbrush4u)
Crossposted-To:
sci.geo.petroleum,sci.crypt,alt.pets.ferrets,alt.sport.bowling,comp.os.ms-windows.ce,soc.culture.europe,alt.prophecies.nostradamus,alt.catastrophism,alt.prophecies.cayce,alt.messianic,alt.atheism,sci.skeptic,sci.astro,sci.archaeology,alt.current-events.earth-changes
Subject: Re: Warning! The eclipse approaches...                              {5.6b}
Date: 03 Aug 1999 05:44:22 GMT

>That "monstriferous" Comet Lee will be seen during the
>solar eclipse this August 11th, followed by WWIII, the
>1300-meter "King of Terror" meteoroid impact before 10
>October 1999, and *many* catastrophic events, including
>the >20 degree shifting of the polar axis before 2002!
>The Tribulation prophesied even by our Lord and Savior
>Jesus Christ is begun. ANSWER THIS: Are you prepared?

I am a student of scripture and it is obvious that you are not!

Mike V

------------------------------

From: ashanti2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,redhat.general
Subject: Re: vmlinux vs vmlinuz
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 23:13:11 -0700

Leonard Evens wrote:

> After upgrading to RH6.0, we find we have a vmlinuz-... of about
> 650K and a vmlinux-... of about 1.5 M.   Also, when we upgraded
> the kernel using the upgrade rpm package, we again got two
> such kernels.  rpm -qlp on the .rpm file shows both files.
>
> Our conjecture is that vmlinux is the uncompressed kernel.
> But what is it there for?   I tried making it an option in lilo,
> but lilo complained that it was too big.
>
> --
>
> Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537
> Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208

This is an example of an inconsistency I found in the make file RH 5.2:
vmlinuz and vmlinux. In the /boot directory, you will find for RH 5.2 a
spelling of vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7. If that is the directory where you are
looking.

After doing a make boot, I got errors and I looked in the redirected
output and found the spelling vmlinux in the makefile. That may be my
problem also. If you get more information on this please share it with
me. I have a posting above called: Make Boot Errors.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Where to get SuperFormat?
Date: 3 Aug 1999 14:56:07 +0800

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:58:19 -0500, Alex Abreu
 <simonetatbhnetdotcomdotbr> wrote:
>Where do I get SuperFormat?
>There are references to it in the Linux Man Pages (the written version), but
>it didn't come with my RH 4.2 (yes, I checked the uninstalled rpms and it
>wasn't there).
>
>What I want to do is to format a floppy as 1.76 Mb or 1.83 Mb.
>
>Thanks
>
>Alex

Search www.hotbot.com for "superformat linux"
I've been using superformat for years, (1.992Mb) its excellent :))

terry
--
**** To reach me, use [EMAIL PROTECTED] ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU-LINUX, and has been

------------------------------

From: "KiloMan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux and win98 mails
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:55:09 +0530

We have a RED-HAT 6.0 Machine and A windows 98 machine connected together.
We have only ONE POP account and we like to have the setup like following:

1. though not online all the messages sent from WIN98 machine to be sent to
Linux machine and spooled. When the linux machine goes online all the
messages must be sent.

2. when downloading mails , all the mails must be stored in the linux
machine and later the mails should be seen by win98 offiline.

3. internal E-Mail messages from  linux to win98 and win98 to linux must be
sent/reecived.

Please send us the methods and codes by which this can be done .

------------------------------

From: John Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Am I damaging my Monitor !!
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:06:44 GMT

I am trying to configure X on my system and none of the "default"
settings in the install script seem to work well. I saw your post and am
trying it. But I have one problem, the front and back porch settings I
have gotten from my monitor manufacture are very small, do I need to
convert them to some other format?? my settings are at this web address.

http://www.kdsusa.com/text/vs21C.html#sync

Any help would be appreciated.

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: bash question: changing path within script?
Date: 3 Aug 1999 03:06:56 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, G. Pollack wrote:
> I'd like to be able to change the path from within a bash script. The
> script, called set_path (with execute permission set, of course)
> consists of a single line:
>
> PATH=$PATH:/some/new/path
>
> Executing set_path results in no error messages, but inspecting $PATH
> from the command line, shows that it hasn't changed. The above command
> works fine, however, when typed in directly at the command prompt.

This recipe runs a _separate_ program (here, a script), and
*programs cannot change the environment variables of the
processes that call them*.

You can accomplish what you want in a given shell, however,
by doing

. set_path

(or "source set_path"; and, yes, that is a single dot).

--
Paul Kimoto             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Jeff Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just a suggestion...
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 23:44:42 -0700

Chris Mahmood wrote:

> Jeff Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Can we take the large number of postings in this (already very busy)
> > newsgroup that relate to communism, philosophy, name-calling, etc., and
> > not at all to Linux, and move them to a more appropriate forum?  Just a
> > suggestion...
> what are you, some kind of pinko?  In my killfile for Linux, Unix, and
> Perl related groups I have aol.com, hotmail.com, msn.com, yahoo.com,
> and the mandatory *webtv*.  It does wonders for raising the
> signal-to-noise ratio.
> -ckm

That, Chris, is like saying that building a fence around your house
reduces crime.  Maybe it does - for you - temporarily, but the long term
effect is that it INCREASES crime for you and everyone else, since you
ignore it rather than dealing with it.  There will always be the
relatively few who maliciously misuse newsgroups, or anything else that
suits their fancy.  But the real irritation comes when large numbers of
average well-meaning folks, like you and me, just fall into bad habits.
Those habits can be changed with a bit of cajolery.  That's all I'm
suggesting.

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: alt.irc.questions
Subject: Re: Good IRC client for Linux?
Date: 3 Aug 1999 15:02:04 +0800

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 08:35:44 +0100,
 Captain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 20 Jul 1999 18:17:34 -0700, "Noah Roberts (jik-)"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>ircii as the engine, and tkirc as the gui front end.  Then you have an
>>>irc client for console AND X.  Also tkirc is the best X irc IMHO, and
>>>I have tried those that other people mentioned and they didn't stand
>>>under scrutiny.
>
>I use a client called cIRCus.  Like others its not as good as mIRC, but
>you get a similar interface to mIRC, a window for each channel, private
>conversation or dcc session, just no scripting....... but if you're that
>desperate, you can always edit the code ;)
>

>--
>Capt
>Admin for london.uk.eu.dreamwave.org:6667
>www.dreamwave.org
Try Xchat
http://xchat.linuxpower.org
Excellent versatile irc client , tht uses GTK
ver 1 is stable
dev is 1.1.8 which runs nicely on my system

terry

From: Tyler Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Newbie in Houston
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 01:33:02 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Jacque Colbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Howdy all!
> >
> > I have a friend who is going to do some Web serving for some local
> > charities. I told him that Linux is the way to go, or would at least
> be
> > fun. He's got a Pentium MMX 200 running Win 98, and the plan is to
> make
> > it dual boot with some version of Linux. I'm a programmer and I told
> him
> > I'd get it set up for him. Of course, I've never done anything with
> > Linux, and perhaps I suggested Linux cause this is a good way for me
> > get some experience.
> >
> > My first question, of course, is that I'm going to need help picking a
> > distribution and installing it. It seems that RedHat is the most
> popular
> > install, but Slackware is the best suited for beginners. Also,
> > configuring a PC so it can boot either Win98 or Linux certainly seems
> > possible, but I can't find just how to do so. Since this is obviously
> > hugely common problem, there's bound to be some info on it somewhere
> > that I simply don't know about.
> >
> > Also, what I'd really like to know is if there's some Linux Users'
> Group
> > or the like in Houston, as then maybe I could just find some kind soul
> > who could help me along in the beginning here, and I could pay for
> pizza
> > and beers. Is there a central directory or anything for Users' Groups?
> >
> > I guess that's it. I sure hope we end up using Linux, and thanks in
> > advance to anyone who can help!
> >

> Consider taking the Linux class at LLU:
>
> http://www.llu.com/computer.htm
>
> It's course #9993
>
> Perry

I currently have a dual boot system with RH6.0 and Win98 the first thing I
did was to setup my harddrive for the ext2 file system which is what Linux
uses.  I used Partition Magic for this and it worked really well for me all
I did was allocated some free space off my DOS partition and then setup the
freespace as ext2 for Linux.  From there after a couple of reboots that
Partition Magic has you do I again rebooted the machine but this time with
the RH6.0 boot disc.  From there basically all you have to do is follow the
setup menus and they should guide you throught the installation process.
Personally I didn't think RH6.0 was that bad to install but one thing I did
discover is that you need to have Win98 setup and configured before you
begin you RH6.0 install because Win98 does some weird thing to IRQs and
such as it's setting up.  Good luck

HTH,
Tyler

------------------------------

From: Yitshak Merin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Catching the password with PAM
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:20:11 +0300

Hello everyone!

Our application needs to catch the new password when a user changes
the password. We figured we can do it with PAM.
I wrote my own pam_sm_chauthtok, compiled it to a shared lib and put
it in /etc/pam.conf for the passwd entry.

What happens is that my module is called, but no password change
happens. I realize that I can now use pam tools to perform the change,
but this is not what I need. I want the password change to happen
using the regular routines, then I want to catch it.
What did I misunderstand?
Does anyone have a working example I can use?

Thanks in advance.
Yitshak

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: 03 Aug 1999 01:32:36 -0700

    Randall> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    Randall> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
    >> And you evade the point.  I have no respect for bourgeois
    >> whining about their tax bills.

    Randall> The obvious reason is that you want the government
    Randall> collecting such a large amount of money from taxpayers.

Hmm, a non sequitur.

    >> The only reason they do so is because they're too weak to live
    >> within their means -- then, when they overspend, they blame it
    >> on the gov't.

    Randall> I live within my means. I have no debts whatsoever. I do
    Randall> not borrow when I buy a car or any other item. Yet, I
    Randall> think the government is too big and doesn't deserve to
    Randall> take as much of my income as it does.

    Randall> I don't blame the government for making me spend money. I
    Randall> make my own decisions on the money that they let me
    Randall> keep. I do blame the government for taking so much of
    Randall> what I and others make. I don't think it has the right to
    Randall> do so. But it has guns and federal agents and it is well
    Randall> organized and I can't stop it.

    Randall> You are creating a false stereotype of those you disagree
    Randall> with so that you don't have to respect their opinions.

Says you.  More than 30 years in the work force, associating with
people from company presidents down to dock workers, tells me you're
wrong.  Maybe you need to get out more.

    >> The gov't then responds by increasing the tax burden on the
    >> lower classes, who don't vote and therefore pose little threat
    >> at the polls.

    Randall> The government has substantially increased the burden on
    Randall> almost every class in society as compared to 70-80 years
    Randall> ago.

Hahahahaha.  What a kidder.  I hope you'll excuse me if I don't share
your sympathy with the "burden" suffered by the wealthy.

mp

Michael Powe                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Portland, Oregon USA                       http://www.trollope.org
- --
Amount of all stock owned by the least wealthy 90% of America: 18%
Amount of all stock owned by the most wealthy 1% of America: 41%
                     [Economic Policy Institute]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (prudence)
Subject: Re: tar question
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 08:33:48 GMT

Eric Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
EP }Bob Koss enlightened this group thus:

>> I want to make a tar file of my home directory, but I wish to exclude
>> the subdirectory ~/Office51.  How do I do that?
>>
>> I must have tried every permutation of -X and --exclude options, but
>> the subdirectory always gets included.

EP }cd
EP }tar -c --exclude="Office51/*" -f - . | gzip >/path/to/file.tar.gz

Why not simply move the Office51 directory to /tmp temporarily?
(assuming /tmp does not lie across file systems - if so, put it somewhere
else, the point being, if it's not there, tar will not add it.)
Sure, it's not fancy, but it's the quickest and easiest way if you don't have
that itch for long contorted command lines with zillions of options. :)

------------------------------

From: Helmut Artmeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a really hard "hardware" problem
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 08:22:54 +0200

Hi out there!!

i am working on a Linux/IrDA problem (IrLAN, IrCOMM, IrLPT....) and i am

using dag brattli's irdadump for debugging...

09:02:09.620264 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 0
09:02:09.690178 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 1
09:02:09.750173 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 2
09:02:09.820145 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 3
09:02:09.880370 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 4
09:02:09.880676 xid:rsp 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e S=6 4 LnxMachine
hint=0d00 [ PnP Computer Printer ]
09:02:09.970153 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 5
09:02:10.060239 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 * Sim1-Client
hint=8404 [ Computer IrCOMM ]
09:02:10.100803 snrm:cmd ca=0xfe pf=1 0x00005690 < 0xd152961e
new-ca=0xe6
09:02:10.101164 ua:rsp ca=0xe6 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:10.101349 ua:rsp ca=0xe6 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:10.410419 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.410742 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.430366 i:cmd  < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0 ns=0 LM slsap=0x03 dlsap=0x00

CONN_CMD
09:02:10.430721 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.450332 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.450621 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.470325 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.470615 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.490329 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.490617 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.510326 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.510616 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.530327 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:10.530619 rr:rsp > ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=1
09:02:10.600323 rr:cmd < ca=0xe6 pf=1 nr=0
09:02:16.140711 ua:rsp ca=0xe6 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:17.070488 snrm:cmd ca=0xfe pf=1 0x00005690 < 0xd152961e
new-ca=0xc0
09:02:17.070888 ua:rsp ca=0xc0 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:17.071076 ua:rsp ca=0xc0 pf=1 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e
09:02:30.120204 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 1
09:02:30.180150 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 2
09:02:30.250359 xid:cmd 0xffffffff < 0xd152961e S=6 3
09:02:30.250670 xid:rsp 0x00005690 > 0xd152961e S=6 3 LnxMachine
hint=0d00 [ PnP Computer Printer ]

is anyone out there on earth, who can explain me this debugging
information. maybe someone knows irdadump and all possible output
messages...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Vidar Madsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VideoCDs under Linux
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 21:16:11 +0200

Hi all!

I've been trying to find out how to burn VideoCDs (VCD) under Linux,
but I can't find out squat.

I've found out that MpegTV can grab the mpg-files from a VCD, but
I have no idea how to burn a copy of such a CD. Also, ripping the
dat and bin/cue files is beyond me...

When it comes to burning, cdrecord has a -xa2 mode, which I believe
the VCDs are using, as well as -cdi which might also do the trick.
Has anyone successfully does this under Linux?

Thanks,
Vidar

------------------------------

From: Simon Hosie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: spin down HDD
Date: 2 Aug 1999 21:06:49 +1200

xander:
> I wouldn't recommend suspending your system using apm as your system
> would not be reachable by network (perhaps the m/b's WAKE-ON-LAN fixes
> this, which mine does not have).

That's the one thing it can do, actually.  At least, I can get it to check
IRQ 10, which is where the card is.  The problem is that I have to use
ctrl-alt-del to power it down, and if something knocks the mouse (or even if
the light changes), or if any network traffic happens by then it won't go
back to sleep.

If I turn off sensitivity to the mouse, then if the mouse moves the machine
stays suspended so nothing picks up the data packet, so it sits there
blocking the queue which is shared with the keyboard (it's a PS/2 mouse), so
I can't unsuspend it with the keyboard.

--
# Please try to quote no more than you need to show the context of your post.
# If you also quote my .Sig then I hate you and I hope you get hiccups.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ondrej Lhotak)
Crossposted-To: uw.linux
Subject: Re: a (GUI) spreadsheet with Perl API ?
Date: 3 Aug 1999 06:07:21 GMT

I haven't actually used it myself, but something that sounds like it may
be what you're looking for is siag. It may not be, but it's worth a look.
It's included in Debian, and I'm sure other packages and more info is
findable online.

Ondrej

------------------------------

From: Tyler Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rp'ms needed for apache?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 01:20:35 -0700

If you choose to have a web server installed at setup time Apache is what will
be installed.  If you choose not to install at setup you can alwasy use rpm to
install the package later on.  Once you install the package, Apache is
automatically setup and started during the Linux startup sequence.  You can
test it if you are on a network (LAN or whatever)by typing in your hostname
and you should see a default Apache page stating that you have correctly setup
Apache.

HTH,
Tyler

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Johnny Johanson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS?
Date: 3 Aug 1999 08:58:11 GMT

"Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I never got the problem during less CPU-intensive operations, nor for
>CPU-intensive operations that only lasted a few seconds.  The CPU was not
>overheating except during long periods of high demand.  Ergo, more idle
>--> less hot.

A couple of notes on the use of HLT in Linux: Support for this has to be
compiled into the kernel. On multiple CPU systems HTL will not be used even
if support has been compiled into the kernel.

I think it is a strange argument to not run a particular service/program/etc
because the processor will get hot. Your system should be desiged to be able
to run full tilt 24 hours a day seven days a week! If the processor fails
during high load periods it is faulty and should be replaced!

If you are concerned about power consumption I'm sure there are more
efficent measures to be taken such as doing what you want done and then
powering off the computer completely.

// Johnny

--
                              ,,,          http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d2jo/
  Johnny Johanson            (o o)                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Philipp Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AWE64 and 2.2.5?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:32:43 +0000

"David L. Bilbey" wrote:

> A friend of mine just installed RH6.0 and he has an AWE64.  From what I've
> read elsewhere, I didn't think he had to do anything special to get it to
> work (other than compile in sound support and support for his card).  Am I
> mistaken?  He did these, but the card does not work still.  Can someone
> point me to a _recent_ HOWTO or other document (one that pertains to kernel
> 2.2.5)?  Thanks.

The other day I wrote a short note how you get your SB AWE 64/128
working under SuSE Linux 6.1. Perhaps this might help you?

The instructions can be found under
http://www2.crosswinds.net/groningen/~pmaier/html/sb_pci_64.htm

PM

--
Information about Sylt and Maerklin mini-club:

www.crosswinds.net/~pmaier

From: "s.c.park" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Java makes Netscape crash
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:32:08 -0400

I am a newcomer to Linux/Unix. But, I solved the problem by installing
kaffe which is a Java virtual machine.

Sincerely, s.c.park
http://home.att.net/~s.c.park