Linux-Misc Digest #323, Volume #21                Sat, 7 Aug 99 18:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  SDSL setup for Slakware linux-2.2.6 ("bob")
  Re: Linux assembly, etc (Alexander Viro)
  Re: The Incredible Shrinking / !  Help! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Multiple users with linux-version Netscape (Geoff Short)
  Re: modem question (Rob Clark)
  .tar.bz2 file extensions (Wlmet)
  Re: Linux assembly, etc ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Curious and bizarre RH6 message (Eric The Half A Bee)
  Re: Have you heard? (DanH)
  Can't INSMOD the BTTV driver in 2.2.5 !!! (Warren)
  Re: Compiling C programs on RedHat 6.0 (Leonard Evens)
  2.2.6 kernel is too big (Wlmet)
  Re: Which POP3 Server? (tomislav)
  Re: 2.2.6 kernel is too big ("bob")
  One more LILO prints LI & the Solution Plus a Technical Question ("Norm Dresner")
  .sgml files (Wlmet)
  Re: Extract the first n characters from a stream? (Dave Brown)
  Re: Have you heard? (CJ)
  >>>Connecting to ISP Questions<<< ("Gilbert Groehn")
  Re: WINE help, please? (Chris Mahmood)
  Redhat/3dfx. HELP! PLEASE! (Eric The Half A Bee)
  sndconfig, cron problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Undo Partition (Jerry Lapham)

From: "bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SDSL setup for Slakware linux-2.2.6
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 12:54:34 -0700

I have a SDSL 384/384 installed by GTE. They claim to have it connected to
GTI in Texas. When a GTI person came out to set up the Internet service, he
said he didn't know anything about Slakware, only "pump" on Red Hat. He left
with the service not working because he couldn't find the Red Hat tools on
the system. I have set up the IP-Masquerading and the second NIC (eepro100
= eth1) myself as per various FAQ(s) and HowTo(s). When I do a ping from the
linux box on an IP which is not in my local net, I see the receive light on
the port box connected to the DSL modem flash periodically (about once a
second), but no indication of response (ping hangs). After Ctrl-C, doing an
ifconfig shows eth1 with 10 to 20 Tx packets but no Rx packets. I assume
this means nothing is coming back. Anyone know of a recipe to make this
work?
Also, I rebuilt kernel as stated in HowTo(s) to include IP_MASQ, ..PACKETS
and socket ..FILTERS, but dhcp_client fails with a message saying
"FILTERS..." not in kernel. The .config file in /usr/src/linux says =y for
all of the referenced options and both make config and make xconfig confirm
these. Yes, I did "cp ...zImage /vmlinuz; make modules; make
modules_install; lilo. Is there a problem with linux-2.2.6??
Posted to comp.os.linux.networking but no response in 4 days.

TKSIA   Bob

System:
Slakware linux-2.2.6
Dual PII/333
256MB
3c509 NIC for LAN (eth0)  // LAN works fine with Samba
EtherExpress10/100 NIC (eth1)

ifconfig:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:AF:11:9D:64
          inet addr:192.21.41.11  Bcast:192.21.41.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:7 Base address:0x300

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:C9:82:C1:E8
          inet addr:192.168.2.1  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:19 Base address:0xfcc0

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

route:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.2.0         *               255.255.255.0       U         0
0        0     eth1
localnet              *               255.255.255.0       U         0
0        0     eth0
loopback            *               255.0.0.0               U         0
0        0     lo
default         bat.bda.com     0.0.0.0                 UG      1          0
0     eth1

--
email - bklungle at ix dot netcom dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux assembly, etc
Date: 7 Aug 1999 09:13:27 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JC  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello,
>(This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
>I've been writing programs in linux and I've been wanting to
>port many of DOS programs, mainly graphics-based.
>In DOS, you use OS calls extensively, for example, in printing
>a character....
>.
>.
>.
>mov ah,02
>mov dl,'J'
>int 21h     ;DOS call to print 'J' using function 2 in ah register
>int 20h     ;DOS call to exit the program
>.
>the equivalent in linux would probably be:
>     asm ("movb $2, %ah");
>     asm ("movb $9, %dl");
>     asm ("int $0x21");
>     asm ("int $0x20");
>(in inline assembly, which I intend to use)
>
>I know that these calls are totally useless in linux and I was
>wondering if these calls have equivalents in linux. I'm not just
>talking about those two calls, I'm talking about OS calls in general.
>Where can I find them? Also, where can I find a decent assembly
>language tutorial for linux?

First of all, syscalls sit on $0x80. Then if we are talking about inline
you don't have to do it by hands - equivalent of the above would be

#include <syscall.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <errno.h>
static inline _syscall3(int, write, int, fd, char *, p, size_t, size)
main() {
        char *s="J";
        write(1, s, 1);
}

gcc -S -O2 will generate the right thing - check it yourself. 3 in _syscall3
is the number of arguments, indeed - there is a family of such macros. Check
what it expands to - gcc -E is your friend. The benefit here being that your
code will not depend on the syscall numbering and will be portable to other
platforms - not only x86 (moreover, it will be easyily portable to other
Unices, just remove the syscall stuff and include <unistd.h> instead).

>I also know that many of you would discourage me from using bios calls
>like int 10h but I do need to access certain bios calls. Any workarounds?
>I need to access mode 'X' you see. (Game developers would know this.)
>Is the svgalib up to the task so I don't need to resort to assembly?

There are *very* good reasons not to use the thing - you would get out
with less PITA using X. You *can* have the direct memory access on local
box if you use MIT_SHM extensions. The main problem with direct access to
hardware being that you (a) conflict with X, (b) can't use the thing
across the telnet (works with X), (c) lose the virtual consoles, (d) must
make your program suid-root, with all security implications of such decision
(suid-root stuff is much harder to write in secure way). Oh, and you lose
all non-x86 machines - also not nice.

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: The Incredible Shrinking / !  Help!
Date: 7 Aug 1999 19:41:08 GMT

Look for large files in /var.  /var/log/messages is a good candidate,
especially if you have something emitting a lot of error messages.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Geoff Short)
Subject: Re: Multiple users with linux-version Netscape
Date: 7 Aug 1999 19:40:32 GMT

Zach Wiener ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello.  Is it possible to create multiple users with the linux version
: of Netscape without having to login and out all the time for each
: individual user?

No.  But you can do

su -c netscape - user

for each user.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short
something, never stop for a moment.  I just          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

------------------------------

Subject: Re: modem question
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 13:13:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wayne Power  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have an ActionTec v.90 voice/fax/windows modem.  Is there any chance
>of getting this to work under Linux?

Please check the model number or FCC registration number in the "LNQ"
section of the big list here:

   http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wlmet)
Subject: .tar.bz2 file extensions
Date: 07 Aug 1999 20:33:00 GMT

I was trying to unpack the kernel sources from the Slackware CDROM disks.   I
found them to have .tar.bz2 extensions.  What is this all about?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:44:49 +0200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 12:30:39 GMT, JC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >(This is probably for those ex-DOS assembly language programmers.)
>
> Please fix your news posting software so that it does not add carriage
> return characters to the ends of you lines.

Please fix your software, adding CR-LF is mandatory
from rfc 977

2.4.1. Text Responses

      Text is sent only after a numeric status response line has been
sent that indicates that text will follow. Text is sent as a series of
      successive lines of textual matter, each terminated with CR-LF
pair. A single line containing only a period (.) is sent to indicate the
      end of the text (i.e., the server will send a CR-LF pair at the
end of the last line of text, a period, and another CR-LF pair).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric The Half A Bee)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Curious and bizarre RH6 message
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 20:37:25 GMT

Weirdest damn thing the other day. I`d been doing some work as root,
logged out and logged back in as a normal user, and immediately the
system said "Message from root: System shutting down in 60 seconds."
Needless to say I was more than a touch perplexed, so I sat there...
And nothing ever happened.

Does anyone have ANY clue what was going on? (I`m not hooked to the
net through Linux, so it`s not like someone has hacked me.)
--
Something catchy should go here

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Have you heard?
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 16:03:23 -0400

Byron wrote:

> Perhaps I am different in this way....
>
> The way I see it, I am doing Microsoft a favor by attacking this site.
> Several people I know are making this into a "bigger dick" contest; to see
> who can do the most damage, etc.  This is what Microsoft wants people to do.
> Personally, I would rather do nothing to assist Microsoft and let them debug
> and stress-test their own damned code.  It seems that no matter what,
> Microsoft has a knack for insisting that users do its bug-hunting and beta
> testing for it.  I do not intend to participate.

Microsoft is making an ass out of itself yet again.  This, for the
hacker community, is EXACTLY like the BSOD when Bill Gates himself tried
the PnP on national TV.

It's pretty pathetic, but I wonder how many of the better crackers will
just probe to see what's what and wait until this is actually in
production before using any exploits.

BSD TCP stack, eh...

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Warren)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Can't INSMOD the BTTV driver in 2.2.5 !!!
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 14:38:15 -0400

Hello,

  Just recently bought a new K6 running 2.2.5 build. I DL'd the bttv
driver code, and the make seemed to go just fine. However, when I "make
ins" from the top level the MAKEDEV goes just fine, but the ./update
chokes with the following message;

# ./update
insmod videodev
./videodev.0: unresolved symbol init_bttv_cards
./videodev.o: unresolved symbol i2c_tuner_init
#

I have tried every modification I could think of to the make files,
including some wild-ass guesses. Has anyone gotten an bt878 card (a newer
WinTV card) to work in 2.2.5 ??

 Any advice or help you can lend is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
  Warren Crossfield

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling C programs on RedHat 6.0
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 13:15:43 -0500

Peter Rodriguez wrote:

> I am trying to learn C, and previously with RH 5.2 I had no trouble
> compiling my pathetic little bits of code. However, now I have
> upgraded to RH 6.0, the compiler does not want to work. GCC no
> longer resides on my disk as far as I can see, bu EGCS does.
> Anyway when I run the following:-
>
> gcc (or cc, or egcs) -g -ofile file.c
>
> I get the following:-
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open -lc: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Can anyone help, please?
>
> --
> Peter Rodriguez
> 136, Kolmar Road, Papatoetoe
> Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

You probably didn't install the compiler.  You can probably
use GnoRPM under gnome to examine uninstalled packages
on the distribution CD.  Figure out which ones you need
and install them.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wlmet)
Subject: 2.2.6 kernel is too big
Date: 07 Aug 1999 20:38:38 GMT

I have been trying to recompile the 2.2.6 kernel which came with slackware 4.0.
 I only wanted to add an ethernet card.  At the end of compilation I get the
error message that the kernel is too big for zImage, try bzImage.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tomislav)
Subject: Re: Which POP3 Server?
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:14:02 +0200

In article <7oes8n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> I'm in the initial stages of trying to setup a POP3 Server and I was
> wondering which POP server  would do the job better.  I'm still learning as
> I go.  I'm thinking of either using qpopper or cucipop.   what are the
> benefits of either of these?  Can I use Sendmail to act as the POP3 Server.
> This will be setup to run on a machine running Redhat 6.0.   Any good
> documentation for this out there?

A POP3 server comes with Redhat 6.0. It is in the IMAP rpm package. Just
uncomment the pop3 line in inetd.conf and it's ready to go. No
configuring needed.

------------------------------

From: "bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.6 kernel is too big
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:52:02 -0700

You could try "make bzImage" as recommended. Or you could try what I did and
everything that offers "y/m/n" into a module (select 'm'). This worked for
me.

cheers..bob

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: One more LILO prints LI & the Solution Plus a Technical Question
Date: 7 Aug 1999 21:13:34 GMT

As the subject conveys, after installing LINUX on an old IBM P133 with
MS-DOS on the first 1.5GB HD and RedHat on the second 511MB HD, LILO got
stuck at the LI state.

But there was really nothing wrong with the installation since I could boot
from floppy any time I wanted to.   After searching through DejaNews, and
reading the HOTO's and doc on my home system, I found out that each letter
of LILO represents a different state in the booting process.  When it gets
stuck at LI, it's loaded the primary boot loader but couldn't load the
secondary which, I gather, is located on my second HD.  Everything I read
indicated that LILO was confused about the drive geometry so I manually
added to the lilo.conf the explicit geometry information for each drive.
THAT WORKED.

Which brings me to my question:  Was LILO confused because one of the HD's
was an LBA and the other one wasn't?  Or is it something deeper and more
mysterious?

        Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wlmet)
Subject: .sgml files
Date: 07 Aug 1999 20:30:33 GMT

What is the best free software to view .sgml files?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.unix.misc
Subject: Re: Extract the first n characters from a stream?
Date: 7 Aug 99 21:09:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, William Burrow wrote:
>On 6 Aug 1999 06:10:34 GMT,
>Kenny Zhu Qili <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>But the SUN version of head can't specify number of characters or bytes.
>>Any other ideas?
>
>Get the GNU version of head.  Try prep.ai.mit.edu or gnu.org for the

Or, how about <data_stream> | head -1 | cut -c1-3  (if 3 was the number
of characters you wanted)...

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: CJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 16:13:08 -0500

DanH wrote:

> Byron wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps I am different in this way....
> >
> > The way I see it, I am doing Microsoft a favor by attacking this site.
> > Several people I know are making this into a "bigger dick" contest; to see
> > who can do the most damage, etc.  This is what Microsoft wants people to do.
> > Personally, I would rather do nothing to assist Microsoft and let them debug
> > and stress-test their own damned code.  It seems that no matter what,
> > Microsoft has a knack for insisting that users do its bug-hunting and beta
> > testing for it.  I do not intend to participate.
>
> Microsoft is making an ass out of itself yet again.  This, for the
> hacker community, is EXACTLY like the BSOD when Bill Gates himself tried
> the PnP on national TV.

The way I think about it he's being pretty smart. The headline
"M****soft puts win(whatever) up for hackers to break"  But does the
fact that it's hardly up so no one can try make big news? In the months
to come all anyone will remember is "MS put win(whatever) on the net for
hackers" And come to the usumption that it is unbreakable. Never mind
the fact NO one really had a chase to try. I can hear the win trolls
now.

Very smart move by MS. plant the headline in everyones head and fudge
the rest.
CJ

------------------------------

From: "Gilbert Groehn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: >>>Connecting to ISP Questions<<<
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:15:44 -0400

Hello fello Linux users:

I am a total neophyte to Linux but installed SuSE
6.1 with minimal problems in the last couple of days
to start learning the system.

Had a few problems at first configuring the X windows
GUI but that seems to be solved now.

I now need advice on what is the best method to connect to
my ISP via dial up modem.  I use worldnet.att.net  and all of their
dial in software is Windows based.  I am assuming that there is
a dialer somewhere in the Linux package but I have not tried it
yet and do not know if it will work with worldnet in any case.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cordially,

Gil Groehn
email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WINE help, please?
Date: 06 Aug 1999 18:39:20 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Breit) writes:

> Hey,
>       I am trying to setup WINE to run Photoshop in Linux.  Well, whenever
>  I try to run WINE, I get this error:
I seriously doubt you'll be able to do this.  Check the "succesful"
list and see if anyone has gotten photoshop to work.
Why don't you just use the gimp and stop supporting companies that
don't support Linux?
-ckm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric The Half A Bee)
Subject: Redhat/3dfx. HELP! PLEASE!
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:14:48 GMT

I`ve got Glidecontrol, but even maxed, it makes NO difference to the
gamma correction. Does anyone have ANY idea on how to set the gamma
properly for a 3dfx card (voodoo1) under Linux? This has been driving
me mad now for months...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: sndconfig, cron problems
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 17:49:03 -0400

Greetings!

I'm having various problems with my new install (2nd try) of RedHat v.
6.0; I'll start with a couple.

[1] I'm trying to run sndconfig.

[1.1] On my first install, I could invoke it at the command-line without
full pathname, but now I need a full pathname; I'm wondering if my
environment is screwed somehow.

[1.2] More seriously, it doesn't effortlessly configure the soundcard the
way it did the first time; ok, a big change is that I now have the
ethercard installed. I diddle with the irqs and get to the 'test sound'
screen when it says:

    "sh: insmod command not found
    ad 1848: no such file or directory"

Is this due to some kind of path problem? (I've forgotten where insmod is
but it's installed alright.)

[2] Zgv is revealing some bugs (?)

[2.1] I can run zgv but there's a mess of error screen messages I see
after it closes, referring to parity errors involving ncr53c876-0, and it
says it's 'downloading scsi scripts'. This seems to be referring to my
tekram scsi adaptor.

[2.2] It also refers to "unknown chipset Oak driver"??

[3] Cron is unavailable? I realize I'm not sure about this and will have
to reboot to Linux but let me mention it. I wanted to run
/etc/cron.daily/updatedb.cron since my locate command ('file or directory
not found') doesn't seem to work. The system can't find it.

Ok, that's a bunch of things. I'd really like to solve the sound
configuration issue and the cron issue. I don't know enough to
troubleshoot very wisely, and I wouldn't want to reinstall yet again.

Thanks!

Felmon

      Felmon John Davis
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     - insert standard doxastic disclaimers -
     OS/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Undo Partition
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 15:33:00

In <7ohaus$1lfk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 08/07/99
   at 09:02 AM, "Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I'm going to be installing Linux soon, but am concerned about
> partitioning my HD,   Is there anyway to unpartition it  if I uninstall
> Linux?  I'd prefer to not have to reformat the entire disk to do it.

Do you really need to?  If you're splitting your single partition hard
disk to install Linux and later decide not to use Linux, you can always
format your Linux partition(s) for your original operating system and run
it with multiple partitions.

Of course, if you used Partition Magic to do the splitting, you can put
the partitions back together with it.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Saturday, August 07, 1999 - 03:33 PM (EDT)
MR/2 Ice tag:  THINK or THWIM