Linux-Misc Digest #372, Volume #21               Thu, 12 Aug 99 07:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Clone a harddisk (Mark Hahn)
  Re: Hard link (K. B. Lee)
  Netscape and fonts ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: CPU Temp (was: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS?) (Oliver.Natt)
  Re: apache problems with virtual hosts (Thomas Zenker)
  Re: My Linux box was hacked! (Hans J. Mayer)
  Re: Clone a harddisk (Vilmos Soti)
  Re: Program like FinePrint (Stefan Ehlen)
  Re: Source for Gnome Screen Savers? (Vladimir Florinski)
  Re: CIA assassinations (Ottavio G. Rizzo)
  Re: USB port supported in LINUX ? (Xiaopong Tran)
  specific tux images (Will the Chill)
  Please Help!! Kernel Upgrde Problme ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: using setserial to change irq on serial port (Jan Cernohorsky)
  Organizer on Linix compatible with Sun Calendar Manager (Sven Ole Skrivervik)
  Hard Disk irq timeouts ("Barry.Pindar")
  Re: Hard link (Chris Mahmood)
  undefinded symbol :  _Xsetlocale ("Mercury")
  Re: Max Users, Increasing (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Please Help!! Kernel Upgrde Problme (Vilmos Soti)
  Irman Infrared Receiver (Berco van Gool)
  Newbie Q: Out of mem when make dep ("Johan Hartzenberg")
  Novice: general query/crib ("S Ghosh")
  keyboard locked at boot (Robin Becker)
  Re: I've had a problem d/ling RH6.0 from ftp site and mirrors.. Has anyone else
accomplished this? (Chris Mahmood)
  Re: Terminalemulation from WinNT to Unix ("T.E.Dickey")
  getting winmodem to work (Andrew Neiderer)
  Re: CIA assassinations (MK)

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clone a harddisk
Date: 12 Aug 1999 05:38:39 GMT

> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512

do NOT use bs=512, since that will take forever, and no disks
actuall have odd numbers of sectors.  for instance, I always
dd floppies with bs=8k.  a good choice for a hard disk would be
bs=tracksize.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Hard link
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (K. B. Lee)
Date: 12 Aug 1999 00:52:16 -0500

Thanks for the comment. I knew the dangers.
We were trying to set up a "restricted file system" so that ordinary
users cannot access important places. Somehow softlink didn't seem to
work, and we wanted to try hardlink, but as you point out, it will be
meaningless if there are dangers that users can delete files.
I'll find out other ways. Thanks.
-KB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Netscape and fonts
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:30:32 GMT

Hello-

Can someone out there show me how to setup Netscape browser(4.61)
under Linux to use Vietnamese fonts? I have several Vietnamese fonts
in pcf and bdf formats.

If you don't have the specific steps then please give me what needed
to be done to get it working.

Thanks in advance,
Hoang

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver.Natt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: CPU Temp (was: Is Linux A Memory Hogging OS?)
Date: 12 Aug 1999 06:55:54 +0200

Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Tom Wilson wrote:

> > that's actually larger than the CPU.  I haven't had the opportunity to
> > *really* beat on it yet, but I can drop down to BIOS setup (my mboard has
> > temperature sensors), and the CPU temp is usually around 40 C (60 C is
> > the warning level).
>
> I can do the same which brings up an interesting point: Has anyone undertaken
> the writing of hardware drivers (probably modules) that can read some of the
> more popular board BIOS' status information?

Definitely yes! Take a look at
http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/

My CPU Temperature is normally around 30C and around 45C under heavy load.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Zenker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: apache problems with virtual hosts
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:19:57 +0200

Gero,

thanks for the tip, first of all!

> a known issue, explained in the SDB:

I checked that...

> At the end of /etc/rc.config you need..
>
> # DBROOT: The top directory of the Adabas D installation.
> #
>   DBROOT=/tmp
> #

That's what I did. After I executed SuSEconfig and I tried with a
restart, too.
I start to export it directly (export DBROOT=/tmp) and I tried to
install and uninstall ADABAS (as stated in the SDB).
It's not working. Apache just dies after a few seconds with the same
errormessage (DBROOT must be set).
In the /sbin/init.d/apache script DBROOT is set to /dev/null, but even
modifying that doesn't help.

Is there a solution? Am I missing something (I bet I am).

Thanks again for help
thom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans J. Mayer)
Crossposted-To: comp.security.unix,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: My Linux box was hacked!
Date: 12 Aug 1999 06:57:00 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rene Grothmann
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[ ...deleted... ]
|> Sorry, but English is not my native language. So, what does "prowess"
|> mean? I could not find it in my dictionary. And besides, to which
|> category of hackers in the cited text are you counting yourself. Maybe
|> to the crackers?

Get a better dictionary.

[Schoeffler/Weis - Klett Verlag, 1967]:
prowess ['prauis] Tapferkeit; Kuehnheit; Heldentat; Ueberlegenheit f.

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 06:41:57 GMT

Mark Hahn wrote:

> > dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512
>
> do NOT use bs=512, since that will take forever, and no disks
> actuall have odd numbers of sectors.  for instance, I always
> dd floppies with bs=8k.  a good choice for a hard disk would be
> bs=tracksize.

How do you know the *ACTUAL* tracksize? Not that the BIOS reports, LBA,
or the value written on the disk. What happens if the disk uses
different sectors/track if it is on the edge or inside? What happens if
there is a bad block (IDE) and the hardware remaps it and the software
(even the OS) doesn't even know about it? It reminds me to the disk
optimizations.

Vilmos

--
Have you recompiled your kernel today?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen)
Subject: Re: Program like FinePrint
Date: 12 Aug 1999 06:59:42 GMT

In article <thrYuW94#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Heeyoung Kim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I used program like FinePrint that can print multi-page document
> onto one paper on Linux a few years ago.
>
> Now, I want to use that program again, but I can remember that program name.
>
> Could you please tell me about that if you know anything?

I use a2ps, but I'm sure there are more of this kind.

CU
Stefan

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Source for Gnome Screen Savers?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:36:03 -0700

Ben Iglauer wrote:

> I want to add my own screen savers to those that are available from the
> gnome / enlightenment desktop settings. Does any one have any pointers
> to info/source on these screen savers? I found the gnome developer site,
> but can't find the source I need, nor any info on how the screen savers
> work.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Gnome uses the standard UNIX screensaver package. Its source and documantation
are available at http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/ .
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ottavio G. Rizzo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations
Date: 12 Aug 1999 10:03:45 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ottavio G. Rizzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >What makes you think that a private company won't have an evil
> >inefficient burocracy?
>
> If they do, they will lose to a more efficient company.

That supposes a perfect market economy (or perfect and infinitely
efficient regulatory bodies).
--
Ottavio Rizzo                   IRMAR, Campus de Beaulieu
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Université de Rennes 1

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:24:54 -0700
From: Xiaopong Tran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: USB port supported in LINUX ?

How about ethernet adapter? I got one of those from
ADS Technologies.

Xiaopong

------------------------------

From: Will the Chill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: specific tux images
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 01:19:53 -0600

Hello all.  I'm searching for pictures of tux, specifically pictures of
him/her (?) either wearing some sort of a hat, wearing sunglasses,
sweating, or any combination.  I need this picture for a logo I'm
creating for a new LUG.  Any help on these would be great.  I searched
using google and altavista, but turned up none of these images (however,
I HAVE seen them before).  You can send them directly to me if you
like.  My address is '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', w/out the 'nospam.'.
Thanks a ton!

-Will the Chill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Please Help!! Kernel Upgrde Problme
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:31:22 GMT

I am running redhat 6.0 (kernel version 2.2.5-15).
I am trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.2.10. The upgrading goes fine ..
as defined in
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade-5.h
tml

When i reboot it to load the 2.2.10 kernel the xfs fails to load.
The command line interfaceworks ok. When i try startx ...it crashes with
the following errors.

_XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for tcp
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for tcp
_XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer:Unable to open socket for local
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for local/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for local

Fatal Server Error:
cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an Xserver isnt
already runnung

_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for local
_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for local
_A11TransOpen: transport open failed for local/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
giving up.
xinit: Invalid argument (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

I dont what all this means..
Moreover when i shutdown ...
Shutingdown X Font Server    [failed]
Shutdown down portmap services [failed]
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K90network: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward no such file
or directory.

One thing i find is the /proc is differnet when i run 2.2.10 and
2.2.15-15

Can anyone help me out here.
Thanx in advance...

cakumar

From: Jan Cernohorsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: using setserial to change irq on serial port
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:30:51 GMT

Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
> Jan Cernohorsky wrote:
> >
> > I have a SuSE 6.2 Linux installation on a dual processor PII 300 box.
The
> > modem is ISA and on COM3. In the standard setting the irq on the port
in
> > question would like to be irq 4. It needs to be 5. I have tried to use
> >
> > setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5
> >
> > (as root), but it comes back with
> > "Operation not permitted"
>
> Could it be because /dev/ttyS2 is in use by some other process? See if
> "setserial /dev/ttyS3" works. "ps axw | grep tty" or "ls /var/lock"
> could help.
> --
> Abdullah Ramazanoglu  [ aramazanoglu AT demirbank DOT com DOT tr ]

Thank you for your response. No it is not in use. setserial only fails
when I actually try to (re)set something (like irq), not when it is only
probing. It even fails in this way when invoked during the boot process
through /etc/rc.d/serial . Checking the process table like you suggested
confirms that the port is not busy. It IS the right port, since I can dail
out through it with minicom, but is is very very painfully slow, which
suggest an irq clash.
Many thanks, JanC

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Sven Ole Skrivervik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Organizer on Linix compatible with Sun Calendar Manager
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:26:03 +0200

Hi all.

I'm running a Linux laptop on my desk and want to be able to view  my
calendar which is on a Sun server using the standard calendar manager
that exists under Solaris. Does anyone out there know of a calendar tool
running on Linux 2.2 that can talk to the Solaris calendar server
(rpc.cmsd)??

brgds,

- Sven Ole

------------------------------

From: "Barry.Pindar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard Disk irq timeouts
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:28:08 +0100

When installing red hat linux onto a 486 with an IDE hard drive I get
the following error message on screen:

hda: irq time-out :status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide0: reset : success

The message occurs when the swap file is being setup and then again if I
format the target drive with a bad block check.

If I ignore the messages and do a quick format Linux seems to load okay
with no ill effects as far as I can determine.

Has anyone seen this before/know what it means ?
I wondered if it was the IDE equivalent of a SCSI transport failure.

Cheers
Barry

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Aug 1999 00:57:54 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (K. B. Lee) writes:

> Hello all:
> I'd like to know how to make a hardlink two directories.
No, you don't want to do that.
> I tried
>               "ln -d source_dir target_dir"
> but is says "Operation not permitted".
Thank god.  Think about what a hardlinked directory would do.

>The manual seems to say
> this can be done. Please help...
You should get a better amnual then.  What you want is 'ln -s'.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: "Mercury" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: undefinded symbol :  _Xsetlocale
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 17:48:25 +0900

first of all, so sorry my broken english.

my pc : redhat5.2a
            kernel 2.0.36
my video card  : Tseng ET4000/W32p rev_d

and i'm not use XF86_SVGA. use the XF86_W32.

i get the XF86_W32 in a different place, and install.

my 'libX11.so' is undefinded '_Xsetlocale'.
how can i define _Xsetlocale function in 'libX11.so'?
or how remove XFree86-3.3.3.1-2kr and install?
please help me~~!

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Max Users, Increasing
Date: 12 Aug 1999 01:08:43 -0700

"KillaBee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How do you increase the amount of processes?
that's a compile-time option.  I *think* it's
linux/include/linux/limits.h, but I'm too tired to grep right now.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please Help!! Kernel Upgrde Problme
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:00:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am running redhat 6.0 (kernel version 2.2.5-15).
> I am trying to upgrade the kernel to 2.2.10. The upgrading goes fine ..
> as defined in
> http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/docs/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-upgrade-5.h
> tml
>
> When i reboot it to load the 2.2.10 kernel the xfs fails to load.
> The command line interfaceworks ok. When i try startx ...it crashes with
> the following errors.
>
> _XSERVTransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for tcp
> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/kumar.ges.com.sg:0
>
> I dont what all this means..
> Moreover when i shutdown ...
> Shutingdown X Font Server    [failed]
> Shutdown down portmap services [failed]
> /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K90network: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward no such file
> or directory.

Did you compile networking support into your new kernel? These messages
"Unable to open socket for tcp" refer to the lack of this. You *HAVE* to
compile networking support into your kernel since many programs (such as
X) require it even on a standalone box. In the "General Options" enable
"Networking Support", and in the "Networking Options" also enable
"TCP/IP networking". Read the help section for it.

Good Luck, Vilmos

From: Berco van Gool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Irman Infrared Receiver
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:39:19 +0200

Hello,

I have an Irman Infrared Receiver. The hardware and the test software
(test_io, test_func and test_name) work perfectly (If I press some
remote control buttons there are codes on the screen).

But if I try to connect Lirmand to Lircd and run irw (a test program for

Lircd). I see no code on the screen. I think the connection between
Lirmand and Lircd don t work, because thelog file of Lirmand looks good.

The log file of Lircd reports only on startup and shutdown and if
clients are connected, but it reports no remote control data.

I hope you can send me some useful information of Irman and Lircd or
e-mail addresses of persons who also have an Irman?

Greetings
        Berco van Gool.

------------------------------

From: "Johan Hartzenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie Q: Out of mem when make dep
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:19:12 +0200

Hi.

Before I ask the difficult question (for me) I want to ask an easy question.

How do I enable "scroll-back" in a normal tty terminal?

I'm running Red Hat 6.0 with Kernel 2.2.5

Installing it was too easy.  I didn't learn anything.  You can only learn
when you struggle with things.

So I want to re-ask my above question in a different way:  How do I find out
for myself where do I enable scroll-back in a text terminal window?

Another thing:

I edited the /etc/issue file to add a legal notice / warning before login.
It worked immediately, untill I rebooted the machine, at which time it
reverted to the original message.  The /etc/issue file was back to what it
was before I modified it.

Now I want to add support for my Olicom Token Ring network card.  OK, the
docs says I must compile it into the kernel as a loadable module.  From
reading the docs, I gather that's a contradiction in terms, but terminology
is not my problem now.

I want to first just build Kernel 2.2.9, without adding any new device
drivers.  I figured that way I increase my chance of getting it right, and
I'll feel way proud of myself when I manage to run Linux on a Kernel I build
myself.

Big Deal if you've done it a hundred times.  But it will be my first.

So I read the Kernel HOWTO.

Great - my wonderfull distribution of Red Hat came without GCC.  But I found
it on one of the CDs, unzipped it, noticed it's only the binaries, un-tared
these.  Kewl the files are now in their correct locations, eg. gcc-2.8.1 is
in /usr/bin

I added a ln -s gcc-2.8.1 gcc

Then I tried again.

No header files.

OK, I figure thsoe are the ones in libc.  unzip and untar, hoping they will
go into the right locations.  Seemingly they did.  It compiles for a minute
or so with various warnings, then exits with an error.

I ran top in a different console while compiling. who-ha!  memory use grow
exponentially while this thing is running.

Is my gcc bad?

I tried the compile again, this time 'make dep >& capture'

Here's the capture.  I don't know enough to figure out why this is
happening.  If this problem is solved somewhere, please tell me where to
read up.  Please don't tell me I need to make gcc myself.  I don't yet know
how to get the 8.something Mb of gcc form my pc to my linux box.

gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o scripts/mkdep
scripts/mkdep.c
In file included from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/ctype.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/ctype.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
In file included from /usr/include/ctype.h:26,
                 from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/features.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
In file included from /usr/include/features.h:134,
                 from /usr/include/ctype.h:26,
                 from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
In file included from /usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:24,
                 from /usr/include/features.h:134,
                 from /usr/include/ctype.h:26,
                 from scripts/mkdep.c:13:
/usr/include/features.h:0: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:0: warning: unrecognized text at end of #line
/usr/include/features.h:19: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:19: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:21: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:21: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:21: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:38: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:38: numeric constant with no digits
/usr/include/features.h:38: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:59: invalid #line
/usr/include/features.h:78: parse error at null character
/usr/include/features.h:78: virtual memory exhausted
make: *** [scripts/mkdep] Error 1

Which doc should I read to find out how to fix this?  Do I need to inclrease
my swap partition (128 Mb physical ram + 100 Mb swap)

Please help me help myself.  Once I manage to build and install a new
kernel, I will take the next step:  Add a driver for my network card, which
I downloaded form the Olicom website.

Thanx to all you kewl guru's.

  _Johan

P.S.  I don't mind reading the docs, but there are so many of them.  English
is a second language to me, so this is taking a while.  Hope my spelling and
grammar isn't too bad.

------------------------------

From: "S Ghosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Novice: general query/crib
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:10:04 +0530

Well, let me tell you at the outset that since i am fairly new to the
Linux/comp world, you'll have to forgive and ignore this post if it seems
too naive..!

I am an avid user of one of the most visible and useful benefits of the
internet : e-mail. Its helped me in keeping track of all my friends and
acquintances, and its been equally helpful in furthering my prospects of
Higher education.
But one slight crib that remains with me is that since people will be people
and never reply in time, its irritating and frustrating to wait patiently
for replies that are very important to me, and never seem to come in time.
Can't one program such a facility into the e-mail services to check whether
a mail has been atleast read (something like letters with acknowledgement
slips)? Something like a daemon in a unix mail server, which verifies whther
a mail sent into it is still spooled as unread, or read, or has it been
deleted?

Forgive my suggestion if  the obstacle sems obvious, or the sugestion seems
too naive!!

From: Robin Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general
Subject: keyboard locked at boot
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:45:09 +0100

I have a fairly standard RH 6.0 setup and I get occasional keyboard
locks at boot time ie I can't even type 'linux' at the Lilo prompt. This
leads to problems as I boot into console mode and then cannot reboot. I
have a Dell XPS system. Is this known/fixable?
--
Robin Becker

------------------------------

From: Chris Mahmood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: I've had a problem d/ling RH6.0 from ftp site and mirrors.. Has anyone
else accomplished this?
Date: 12 Aug 1999 00:30:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Peacock) writes:

> I was just wondering if anyone out there has successfully downloaded
> RH6.0 from ftp.redhat.org or any of the mirrors?
yes.

> Well.. I took a look at d/ling RH.  I've downloaded Slackware once
> before but that was back when I was on a 14.4 modem.. So I figure my
> 56k would do a bit better.. =)
Ouch!  You aren't going to download a modern Linux distribution at
56K.  At the very least, you can buy a cd from cheapbytes for a few
bucks.  Better yet, you can buy it and support the company.
-ckm

------------------------------

From: "T.E.Dickey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terminalemulation from WinNT to Unix
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:02:18 GMT

Ludger Sicking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I want to log into a unix machine from a WinNT machine.
> On the WinNT machine I run a telnet with termtype vt100.
> But there some keyboard parts aren't interpreted in the right way.
> I want to use the Tab and the up, down and left and right keys.
> I only get the Control abbreviation. How can I configure my program
> to interpret the keys in the right way ?

Is $TERM set to vt100?  (iirc, cursor keys do work properly, though there
are nicer emulators - a different matter entirely, since most of the people
advising you to use the other ones don't know the difference ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Neiderer )
Subject: getting winmodem to work
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:53:17 GMT

There has been a lot of discussion of winmodems vs
real modems recently.  I wasn't aware of this
when I added SuSE 6.1 to my NT workstation so
I have learned quite a bit, maybe the hard way.

I have a Creative Labs Blaster which works fine
under NT 4.0.  I am new to Linux so this question
may not make sense.  But here goes anyway.

Would it be possible to somehow have NT dial and
connect to my ISP and then have Linux use that
connection.  I guess I would like to boot into Linux,
use an NT process to do the dialing, and then use
Linux for my real work (I like the Unix environment
for programming).  It sure would be nice to use
Netscape w/o having to boot into NT everytime.
Or maybe I would have to spend the $100 to get a
real modem.

Thank you.

- Andy Neiderer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MK)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:33:17 GMT

On 12 Aug 1999 10:03:45 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ottavio G.
Rizzo) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach) writes:
>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Ottavio G. Rizzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >What makes you think that a private company won't have an evil
>> >inefficient burocracy?
>>
>> If they do, they will lose to a more efficient company.
>
>That supposes a perfect market economy (or perfect and infinitely
>efficient regulatory bodies).

No, it does not require perfect market economy -- finite time before
they lose is required condition. The more competitive and the closer
to perfection market is, the faster they lose, the less competitive
and the more far away from perfection market is, the longer it takes
before they lose. In perfect market economy, they'd lose instantly.
Nobody argued that (and I would not want it, every organization
has better and worse days, it's just certain finite patience that can
be granted seems to be more reasonable option). The keyword is
"eventually".

Marcin Krol

Reality is something that does not disappear after
you cease believing in it - VALIS, Philip K. Dick

Delete _spamspamlovelyspam_ from address to email me